PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of being Large+

Arcanist
2012-06-08, 06:19 PM
I've always wondered why most deities always list there size as larger then medium :smallconfused: What benefits could there be to being larger then medium? Why not decrease your size to fine and bask in your increased AC? :smallconfused:

Jarian
2012-06-08, 06:24 PM
The better to crush the puny mortals beneath their heels, of course.

More seriously, the awe factor likely plays a large part; people expect gods to be overwhelmingly large creatures. That's not to say that Medium-sized gods can't be awe-inspiring, but as a general rule it holds true. It also affords them increased damage on their attacks (mostly meaningless) and increased grapple checks.

Waker
2012-06-08, 06:28 PM
Divine Ranks weigh a lot, so they need to be large for the increased carrying capacity.

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-08, 06:33 PM
Most of them can change into whatever shape they want anyway, so does it really matter how big they are when they're at home?

deuxhero
2012-06-08, 07:32 PM
Large size qualifies you for a lot of stuff I gguess.

Amidus Drexel
2012-06-08, 08:24 PM
plus, i would feel more like a god if i had a 15 or 20ft reach. screw walking up to people to smack them around. i could punch puny mortals from that much farther away.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-08, 09:11 PM
+4 to Intimidate, x2 carrying capacity, double reach, more damage, bonuses on combat maneuver checks.

Think about it, if you're a God, and get tripped or intimidated, you're going to look like an idiot. Forever. You will never live that down.

Namfuak
2012-06-08, 09:23 PM
I'm looking through Deities and Demigods, and for the D&D Pantheon (Greyhawk, I think), the only Gods who aren't listed as medium are:

Bahamut: Colossal
Garl Glittergold: Small
Tiamat: Colossal
Yondalla: Small

However, just glancing at the Olympian Pantheon, it looks like many of them are listed as large, so maybe the D&D Pantheon is the exception.

Rejakor
2012-06-08, 10:18 PM
Large has HUGE benefits (pun intended) for any melee character or even for wizardly folks. NEVER underestimate reach, it is so insanely good especially in a post complete arcane world where that anti-spellcaster feat chain exists. Being able to bop people, trip them when they can't even reach you as an AoO, smash people from outside their reach, poke them with a spell from beyond their reach (although spectral hand), etc etc.

Plus you're big. Never underestimate bigness. People respect bigness. People get scared by bigness. Bigness is a big thing.

robertbevan
2012-06-08, 10:49 PM
you're far less likely to have sexy girls calling and knocking on your door while you're trying to play d&d.

robertbevan
2012-06-08, 10:52 PM
oh wait... maybe i should have read beyond the thread title.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-08, 11:11 PM
you're far less likely to have sexy girls calling and knocking on your door while you're trying to play d&d.

Reality Check: We're dnd nerds spending our time on a freaking dnd forum, arguing about the rules to a game where you pretend to be a wizard who kills dragons in a dungeon. You'd already need scientific notation to represent the likelihood of that happening [to myself, at least], Large+ or otherwise.

EDIT: Just realized that offends people. Shouldn't have said that [facepalm]

Little Brother
2012-06-08, 11:15 PM
Reality Check: We're dnd nerds spending our time on a freaking dnd forum, arguing about the rules to a game where you pretend to be a wizard who kills dragons in a dungeon. You'd already need scientific notation to represent the likelihood of that happening to anyone on here, Large+ or otherwise.Wow...

Thread is won. Level up, you receive 5 Interwebz.
Heh.

robertbevan
2012-06-08, 11:55 PM
Wow...

Thread is won. Level up, you receive 5 Interwebz.
Heh.

question... does he win the prize for failing to understand that i was joking, or for actually murdering the joke?

Slipperychicken
2012-06-09, 12:35 AM
question... does he win the prize for failing to understand that i was joking, or for actually murdering the joke?

Usually, sarcasm is indicated with blue text, or some other visual cue indicating non-seriousness. I could tell you weren't entirely serious, and sometimes, you just have to look yourself in the mirror, and laugh a little. Introspection is a good thing to have; it helps you keep things in perspective.

Wyntonian
2012-06-09, 12:40 AM
Reality Check: We're dnd nerds spending our time on a freaking dnd forum, arguing about the rules to a game where you pretend to be a wizard who kills dragons in a dungeon. You'd already need scientific notation to represent the likelihood of that happening to anyone on here, Large+ or otherwise.

Speak for yourself :smalltongue:.

Acanous
2012-06-09, 12:42 AM
There's girls who play D&D. Heck, Jarian was the first reply, so that really doesn't hold water. Although you ARE less likely to have one snuggle up to you if you're Large+....
Well, depending on what part of you makes you hit that category, anyhow >.>

Jeff the Green
2012-06-09, 05:07 AM
Ahem. Back on topic, you get bonuses to a bunch of combat maneuvers and, importantly for a deity, Intimidate.