2012-06-08, 07:17 PM
Owner of this Hall: Korvol - Lord Fehrawyrd the One-Eyed

Retainers of this Hall:
daelrog - Carline
ForzaFiori - Sir Arutha the Cursed
MintyNinja - Hadrik Arios
Nyna - Liria the Brave
Sodos - Farrrg The Mystic

A blizzard howled and raged around the plains of Amarlethe like the echoes of an ancient battle. The year was even grimmer than the last. As the growing seasons shortened and the winter winds bit sharper and crueler over the past five years, a general sense of impending doom came to define the mood in the kingdom. In the fields and hamlets, peasants talked of winter swelling and swelling to devour the other seasons. Meanwhile, the voices of prophets and madmen filled the market towns, crying the wrath of God or even of archaic spirits, who rise once again from their enchanted groves to torment men. But, in the keep of castle Hald-Amar, between its thick stone walls and sturdy timbers unmarred by stone or steel, the great King Conn Korgal held his court a feast. From every county of Amarlethe, every knight and damsel gathered to this feast, and over every kind of dainty they forgot the winter and closing in. Here were glowing hearths and the warmth of wine to lift the spirits.
Now, at this feast, the good King Conn Korgal declared, “My good brave knights, true men of steel and valor to match the heroes of olden times, who, it is reputed, killed monsters and ogres in the country, let us put aside our arms today. And, being not warriors when there is no war to fight but against the foul weather (a monster not for us to slay) let us make merry and no strife.” And so the feast commenced in spectacular fashion. The court emptied, stripped and made desolate plates, platters, tankards, and carcass bones as fast they could be replaced on the tables. They sang and danced, made toasts and jokes, and all agreed, especially king Conn Korgal, the only thing missing from the feast was a bard to sing epics of the heroes of old. But then,

“Such a lack is not so bad, as far as dearths might go,”
said the patched robes in a cold, dark corner of the hall.
“Just ope your mouth and ask for it, and look here, lo.”

Standing by the hall’s great gate, stood a figure dark and tall
“A bard ye sought, a song ye asked, and I’ve come o gracious host”
Clad in rags and patches, he bowed toward King Korgal

“I’ve a tale to sing you, one that’s praiseworthy most.
A tale of Amarlethe, long before your reign
Back when fairies woods did haunt, and serpents swam the coast.

And men of faith and piety sought out this land to tame.”
King Korgal cheered approval, “dear bard, then sing for us!
I’ve food and drink and silver, so tell what epic is your aim!”

“My song is of a time when this land knew no King.
It was a time of dark and treachery, but also light and just.
Ruled as it was by three great Lords who in three great Halls dwelt

And with their men they sheltered from the coming storm
For it was then as it is now, a time of frost and famine…

edit: One thing I forgot to mention elsewhere and seems like it'd be really handy. Whenever you post in your Hall's thread, include a copy of your most current character sheet at the end of the post. This should help logistics a lot and will be added to the rulebook asap. >_>

daelrog
2012-06-08, 09:33 PM
Carline sat in the corner of the room. Her hood covered most of her features save for an alabaster chin, and pearl lips. She sat motionless, trying to take in all around her. She was not sitting as one who wished to be approached, but in this hall it was doubtful she would raise a blade to anyone who approached her.

Retainer’s Name: (The Witch Hunter,) Carline
Hall: Hafsnirafgren
Traits: Wanderlust/Covetous
Equipment: Iron Spear, Round Shield, Holy Symbol
Valor: 2 + 2= 4
Aim: 0
Guile: 0
Sorcery: 0
Resistance: 1 + 2 = 3
Honor: 0
New Faith
Default Tactic: Melee
(-1 to all attacks against her)

With raven hair, light skin, and pale green eyes, Carline travels the land searching for corrupted sorcerers to bring swift justice to, ever since she lost her village to followers of a particularly powerful sorcerer trying to enforce the traditional ways.

Sodos
2012-06-08, 09:40 PM
Blending in the crowd Farrrg observed for his kin.
Name:Farrrg the mystic
Hall:Hafsnirafgren
Traits:Wanderlust and wasteful
Equipment:Runestone and Iron spear
Valor:3
Aim:0
Guile:0
Socery:4
Resistance:0
Honor:0
Default tactic:Magic
Religion:Old

MintyNinja
2012-06-09, 02:45 PM
An invitation arrived by courier to Hadrik's current residence. A small hamlet with a small inn that produced a small profit from it's few patrons. He had been staying there for a week and already he suspected that the innkeeper had never had such a generous customer. When the courier arrived with the invitation the innkeeper was sad to see Hadrik leave, even offered him a horse to hasten his return. "No, good friend. A horse ridden by me would sooner hasten me to death, I'll find my way there in time, and gods be willing, find my way back."

A few days of travel later, and a free ride offered by a passing wagon, brought the young man to the gates of Hafsnirafgren. He entered and awaited his host's welcome.

Korvol
2012-06-09, 06:19 PM
Hafsnirafgren lies upon the edge of the Amarlethe, perched majestically on a bluff that overlooks the frostbitten plain. A torturous path winds its way up from the grasslands, bringing any travelers to the wooden gates of Lord Fehrawyrd's Keep.

The Hall is a luxurious structure despite its roughhewn appearance, adorned with the trophy heads of mountain beasts and furnished with enough tables to seat perhaps a hundred men. Unlike other halls, a few private quarters have been built off the main chamber with their own fire pits and wool-made cots. Furs pad the floor of these bedchambers, a token of the extensive expeditions Lord Fehrawyrd and his servitors once made into the frozen north.

As his retainers enter his hall, Fehrawyrd observes them with his one eye, not moving from his throne at the end of the grand hall. In his mind he notes their various strengths - this one is lithe and agile, that one is strong and well-built - and their weaknesses. With a wave he summons an attendant, little more than a serving wench, and tells her to direct the servants to guide his retainers to their chambers.

"Instruct my knights that I shall speak with them this evening, but until then they shall prepare themselves for the honors and challenges that they shall face in my service."

His eye gleams with the anticipation of the glory that awaits, and he carefully steps from his dias-mounted throne and retires to his private chamber. Tonight, then, will the games begin.

EDIT: OOC: I won't post until I have recognition from all of my retainers, so that I know who is playing and who isn't. If you haven't spoken up, go ahead and do so that I can get on with distributing equipment, granting honors and giving marching orders tomorrow.

Lord Fehrawyrd the One-Eyed
Trickster
Hall: Halfsnirafgren
Treasury: Set 2
1 Round Shield
1 Drab Cloak
1 Golden Ring
2 Wealth

Fehrawyrd is a snow-bearded northerner who, like all northerners, is keen-eyed and tall despite his advanced age. Rumored to be the son of Fehdymander the Hacked (a legendary figure in of himself known to be a prolific tale-teller, giant-killer and lady-lover), Fehrawyrd wandered for many years in the icy wastes, at some point losing his right eye, before returning to claim his Lordship in this land. A follower of the Old Gods, Fehrawyrd is believed to especially worship Joten the Alfather since Halfsnirafgren Hall is decorated extensively with the raven carvings and images that are classically associated with that deity.

ForzaFiori
2012-06-10, 03:02 PM
Arutha rushed into the room out of breath. "My lord, I apologize for my lateness, my horse fell along the way, delaying my trip." he says as he walks up to Lord Fehrawyrd and bows, before taking his seat.

Retainer’s Name: Sir Arutha the Cursed
Hall: Hafsnirafgren - Lord Fehrawyrd the One-Eyed
Traits: Esteemed/Cursed
Valor: 4 (+2, +2)
Resistance: 1 (-2, +2, +1)
Honor: 2
Religion: New

Korvol
2012-06-10, 10:21 PM
As those retainers that are present take their places around the hall, Lord Fehrawyrd ponders his forces. A day has been wasted in waiting, though it could not be helped. He should have expected sheer bad luck to delay Arutha, given his notorious epithet, and his ravens brought word that Liria was delayed until at least late tonight if not tomorrow. Silently cursing this dread weather and the fel tasks that await, Fehrawyrd stands to make his address.

"No doubt you have already rested and supped after your long journeys," he says wryly. "If not, then you have but one last opportunity to do so, for I assure you, you will not find reprieve on the journeys you must brave in my service. Journeys which will begin with tomorrow's dawn."

He carefully scans the room as it falls into silence, and continues once he has seen that all eyes and ears are directed toward him. "When I left the frozen north and took my tribe with me, I came to this plain with one purpose in mind. I saw in my visions a green ocean, stretching away into the southern horizon and billowing with the winds of promise. I saw a land without a lord, united by no banner, and I knew that this land would one day be mine." Fehrawyrd's eye glinted in the torch light and his servants grinned as they saw it.

"Yet upon my arrival I find that two other...usurpers...have arisen in a bid to steal what the Alfather has granted me. What is worse, this land of plenty is cursed under bitter blizzard which draws famine across the plain like a white pall! Let us be very clear - I did not come to bicker with a tower-hugging pretty-boy and a rubble-dwelling simpleton. I did not give up my best eye to come and forfeit the reward for which it was the price!" Fehrawyrd is shouting now, and the gleam in his eye has turned devilish. "I came to prove that I am worthy of Kingship over this land, and I will do so through tactics and deeds worthy of being sung of in the halls of all people across this realm!"

Having reached the pinnacle of his crescendo, Fehrawyrd straightens himself and drops the fist he had raised toward the roof of the hall. "And you, my noble retainers; you shall be the instruments of my victory. Do not be mistaken. Those of you who serve me - and serve me well - shall be rewarded. I will shower upon you glories undreamt of by man since the eons when the Alfather himself walked this earth. Great shall I make you among all who walk the Amarlethe, and long will I establish your lines in this land. Therefore, remember as you quest in this place that all you do will reflect upon you, either for great glory or great misery. Deal ruthlessly with those who would usurp mine - and your - future here!"

Amidst the cheers of his servants, Fehrawyrd returns to his throne. As he sits,the applause of his kinsmen to dies away, and he continues. "As proof of my generosity, and my clout, I have this to prepare you for the battles that will come." At this, two servants step in front of the dais; one holds a drab cloak and the other a round shield. "Having already equipped yourselves, Carline and Arutha, I present these to my mages, who must protect themselves against whatever you will find on your quests. To Hadrik, I present this shield, to ward off the arrows and swords of your enemies. To Farrrg I present this cloak, woven with guile so that you may perceive and defeat the plans of your enemies. Wear them well." At this, the servants take the items and place them in the respective rooms of their owners.

"Finally, it falls upon me to grant the first of the honors that you, my retainers, shall receive. Having no other basis for which to distribute the intangible rewards of bravery and skill, I place them now on those who arrived first at my gates. To the Witchhunter, Carline, I confer the greatest honors." Again, the chamber fills with the thunderous cheers of Fehrawyrd's northmen servants. "And to Farrrg and Hadrik, I grant you these lesser honors."

The chamber echoes as the cheers continue, but after a while they fall far enough for Fehrawyrd to resume. "The last thing that I shall say to you is this: expect that I shall always be watching, and be prepared to receive my messages whenever they come. Otherwise, you are free to visit the villagers - the blacksmith, the fletcher, the bard etc -or do anything else you please until I decide what quests to send you upon."

MintyNinja
2012-06-11, 12:38 AM
"My lord is gracious! May the spirits ever ward you." Hadrik says in response to the shield and honors. When dismissed the young soldier retreats to his room to contemplate his place in this Lord's bid for power.

Hadrik Arios
Traits: Vicious, Clumsy
Equipment: Runestone, Iron Spear, Round Shield
Religion: Old Gods
Valor: 2 = 2
Sorcery: 2 +2 = 4
Resistance: +1= 1
Default Tactic: Magic (-1 to all attack rolls against me)

daelrog
2012-06-11, 01:13 AM
Carline gave a shallow bow. "Thank you, Lord Fehrawyrd, I will live up to your favor. I go where you bid." Her voice was quiet, but full of strength in it. She left the hall to do her nightly meditation. So there were two others who claimed rulership in these lands? She did not know these men, but this Lord seemed just.

Carline accepts any quest Lord Fehrawyrd commands.

Honor: 3
New Faith

With raven hair, light skin, and pale green eyes, Carline travels the land searching for corrupted sorcerers to bring swift justice to, ever since she lost her village to followers of a particularly powerful sorcerer trying to enforce the traditional ways.

Nyna
2012-06-11, 09:30 PM
Liria smiled with relief as she finally reached her destination, dismounting from her horse. Giving him to a servant to stable, she hurried through the courtyard at a brisk walk, making her way towards the hall, using the distant sounds of cheering to guide her steps. A few moments after it faded, she would enter, slipping in quietly and simply nodding towards her lord as she shut the door just as quietly behind her, not wanting to interrupt in case he was in the middle of speaking. She would take an unoccupied seat near the door, sighing lightly as she sat down, finally able to rest her weary body for a few moments before the real work began.

Retainer’s Name: Liria the Brave
Faith: Old Gods
Traits: Bold, Cursed
Equipment: Horse
Valor: 3
Resistance: -2
Default Tactic: Flank

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-12, 06:08 AM
Turn 1: The Omens

Quest 1: Blood and Bread

Objectives: There is a certain village in your domain which had in spring depended on your swords and spears against river trolls and in summer enjoyed your warriors’ protection from the beasts of the woods. Now, these villagers have not sent the grain you they owed for your services. Whether the villagers failed or refused to pay, it would be wise to send a trustworthy retainer or two to the village to collect what’s rightfully yours.

Battle Difficulty: 1

Max Honor Loss/Gain: -2/+1

Max Booty: 3

Conditions: None.

Quest 2: The Sword Thief

Objectives: Many curious tales have reached your hall of a dreadful robber knight who roams the countryside. Some say he is an old and valiant soldier who fights only armed men to test his might. Others claim he is a wicked fairy of the woods, come to exact revenge on the druids who sealed him in the otherworld. Still others believe he is merely a peasant boy who’d stolen a sword. In any case, this robber knight is surrounded by very strange rumors and sounds like a dangerous man to be allowed to walk free.

Battle Difficulty: 2

Max Honor Loss/Gain: -1/+2

Max Booty: 5

Conditions: None

Sodos
2012-06-12, 06:26 AM
My lord I am very gracious and thank you
Accepting all requests

Honor:1

Korvol
2012-06-12, 09:52 AM
The rooms provided for Hafsnirafgren's Retainers are small but comfortable. The walls are covered with woolen tapestries, while the floors are padded with animal skins. In one corner lies a bed, furnished with many blankets and more furs to ward off the cold. At the foot of the bed is an iron-bound chest for the Retainer's possessions. Flush with the wall at the head of the bed is a sturdy wooden table.

This morning, as the retainers awaken in their rooms, they find notes deposited on the table adjacent their bed. Though the runes and glyphs on the page seems to swirl and dance before your eyes, you feel like you can discern their meaning, no matter your native language and literacy. They read as follows.

"I am away for the moment, taking care of matters that have arisen whilst you slept. Nevertheless, there is work to be done, and you shall all ride as soon as you are able.

No doubt you have heard of the village I defended against all terrors - it seems that they have chosen to default on their tribute. Arutha and Farrrg, I charge you with collecting what is mine. Naturally, a quiet resolution with subtle reinforcement of the fact that we can best protect a submissive village would be ideal. But if the saber must be rattled, so be it.

As for this sword-thief imp, I will not tolerate such open brigandry in my realm. Carline, Hadrik and Liria - see to it that this menace is dealt with.

Remember, I shall be watching, and so too will this land. May your actions reflect honor on us all."

MintyNinja
2012-06-12, 10:23 AM
Hadrik wakes early, as he's accustomed too. A half an hour of training occurs before he notices the note. He regards his orders and realizes he's paired off with the Witchhunter and the one that arrived late, despite having a horse. "A grand start to an illustrious career, no doubt." He prepares himself for a long and tiresome journey and once fully equipped Hadrik awaits the others in the great hall.

Quest Accepted.

Hadrik Arios

ForzaFiori
2012-06-12, 01:55 PM
Arutha rose early, and managed to notice the note on the table. He quickly read it, then gathered his equipment and went off to find Farrrg so that they may begin their quest.

Quest Accepted

Nyna
2012-06-12, 03:51 PM
Waking up was a troublesome matter, given the long, hard ride to get here the previous night, but it wouldn't do to sleep in and get a reputation for being a sloth. Yawning, Liria would rise, and, seeing the note, would slowly look it over twice, the words taking awhile to set in in her sleep-addled mind. "A quest so soon, huh? Time to get saddled up, then." A drink of lukewarm water from a pitcher near her bed, with some splashed on her face, would help revive the young woman from her half-slumber, and she would quickly get her preparations in order to set off as soon as possible...

Quest Accepted

daelrog
2012-06-12, 07:59 PM
Carline read the note passively. A robber knight? She rolled out of bd, already half dressed in her travelling wear. She only slept in night gowns when trying to play an innocent maid. There was no need in this place.

Within five minutes she was geared up and ready to travel. She would trade much to have a good sword with her. Or a horse. Or for far more. Regardless, her wits were his greatest asset and though deep down she did desire more to help her do her duty, she was pleased to have something to do. A cold smile crossed her lips. She hoped this robber knight would prove a challenge.

And I make the third on our merry quest. Think we're ready to start.

New Faith

Sodos
2012-06-13, 12:58 AM
Very well
Quest accepted

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-13, 03:57 AM
Blood and Bread (Participating Retainers: Sir Arutha the Cursed, Farrrg the Mystic)

Your journey to the village was difficult for the bitter cold, but largely uneventful. When you arrive, you see that the village is a humble affair of four stick huts and a small stone chapel to the New Faith surrounded by a thin palisade wall more likely built to keep out wolves than armed warriors.

As you approach the village walls, you are greeted by a young man wearing a pendant of a carved stone wheel over dusty rough work clothes - he must be the pastor of the chapel. He greets you cordially and, anticipating your mission, invites you to the chapel to discuss the missing grain. As he speaks with you at the village gates, you see that a number of villagers are coming out of their huts. Two of them are carrying farming implements, a sickle and a flail, which strike you as odd given that the harvest had long gone. The villagers stare intently at you and the pastor while he insists that you come to the chapel.

A. You attack the villagers on the spot. Clearly, the villagers intend to stall you in the chapel to murder you. Instead, if you attacked the villagers now, you would have the tactical advantage as fewer of the peasants will have gotten their weapons and you won't have to start the fight totally surrounded. Once you've cowed the villagers by killing some of their friends and family, you may simply take the grain yourselves back to your Lord.

B. You demand an explanation about the missing grain, but refuse to enter the chapel no matter how much the pastor insists. Something suspicious is going on, but you don't know why.

C. You enter the chapel to discuss the grain with the pastor. The peasants are understandably tense at your arrival, but there is no reason to assume they'll be using their crude weapons.

D. Too many things are wrong with this situation. The stares those peasants are giving you, the pastor's insistence that you come to the chapel, the lack of a grain tribute this year when the village has paid on time every other year... Too many things don't add up, you turn and bolt from the village without any grain. (-2 Honor, quest ends immediately)

The Sword Thief (Participating Retainers: Carline, Liria the Brave, Hadrik Arios)

The robber knight proves a difficult man to track down, if he even is a man. Part of the problem with finding him is how imaginative the people who encounter him are. Even asking around in a single farmstead, you've heard the farmer say he towered like a giant and headed north, the farmer's daughter say he had a fey look in his eyes and could take no steps but west toward the setting sun, while a field slave claimed he had scales like a fish and craved the warm waters to the south.

In any case, the most commonly recurring features told about this robber knight are as follows:

He does not kill for money or in the heat of anger. A great deal of the stories about the robber knight concern his eccentricities in deciding who to rob.

Many the stories about the robber knight tell about how he is either inhuman or an exceptional human. Curiously, many of these stories have to do with some characteristic of his skin - that he is covered with fish scales, weeping sores, or how his skin is hard like iron.

A great number of the stories about the robber knight concentrate on his unique property of his sword, and many tales claim that he carries multiple swords or weapons.

A. You take all the stories you've gathered about the robber knight and attempt to figure out a pattern in his travels by systematically weeding out the false ones. Doing so gives you the idea that it would be possible to meet the robber knight at Ceathgil Cairns, a collection of standing stones at the border of a certain forest once said to be haunted by the fey. (This decision requires a test of two times the Guile of the most Guileful Retainer on the quest +2d6)

B. This robber knight sounds like a creature of strong magic and would thus be known to the Gazer At the Back, a certain gnome. Given enough time to perform your rituals, you might summon and ensnare Gazer At the Back to tell you that you could meet the robber knight at Ceathgil Cairns. (This decision requires a test of the combined Sorcery of every Retainer on the quest +2d6)

C. There seems to be nothing for it but to keep searching. Eventually, you might cross paths with the robber knights by sheer coincidence. (This decision requires a test of 2 + 2d6)

daelrog
2012-06-13, 04:50 AM
"To go the Cairns now is to try to catch a trickster at his own trade, within his own home. As for magic... unless this gnome actually grants us audience with the robber knight, it matters little to what he says. I say we continue along, and let him come to us. I will do my part and dress the maiden, see if it is enough for this thieve's eccentricities."

[I]Carline votes for option C. She will dress up as an innocent maiden (her spear and shield nearby) and hope to lure the thief out.

New Faith

Sodos
2012-06-13, 04:55 AM
Its a trap:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:
I choose C but invoke protecive spells beforehand in case of a trap. I also will set an ambush just in case.
Equipment:Runestone,Iron spear and Drab Cloak
Guile:1

Nyna
2012-06-13, 08:42 AM
The Sword Thief

"I see little reason to simply wander aimlessly, when Hadrik may be able to provide us with a direction to search from this Gazer at the Back. Let us pursue this lead, rather than hoping for good luck."

Liria will vote for Option B. (4 + 2d6 > 2 + 2d6 :smalltongue:)

MintyNinja
2012-06-13, 11:51 AM
"I feel I must agree with you, Liria. I will try a ritual."

Hadrik chooses option B.
Here's the roll if you wanted it now: [roll0]
Hadrik Arios

ForzaFiori
2012-06-13, 04:50 PM
"Indeed it is, yet you wish to walk straight into it. Why not confront them now, while we aren't surrounded and trapped in a building?" Arutha asks Farrrg under his breath.

I vote option B, not that it really matters much since Sodos voted first.

Sodos
2012-06-14, 01:40 AM
That's why I cast protective spells. Also you can not go in regardless of my wishes

daelrog
2012-06-14, 02:02 AM
"If the two of you are intent on using magic, so be it." She didn't seem to wish to argue the point any further, though her eyes flashes with something at the thought of using magic.

Carline will yield to being outvoted.

4+2d6 > 2+2d6 pretends that both options are equal in their difficulty. Not saying option C is easier (it could be even harder) but that it's not the end of all arguments.:smallcool:

New Faith

ForzaFiori
2012-06-14, 12:34 PM
"Besides the fact that no one mentioned attacking anyone, i'm not going to attack by myself against a village. That would be stupid if I lose, and murder if I'm wrong."

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-15, 12:36 AM
Blood and Bread (Participating Retainers: Farrrg the Mystic, Sir Arutha the Cursed)

You invoke a spell of protection and allow the pastor to lead you into the chapel.

Miraculously, the inside of the chapel is a single chamber seemingly even smaller than the outside appearance of the building would suggest. On the wall opposite of the door hangs a large wooden wheel. But, what draws your immediate attention is the presence of two peasant men holding spears, watching the far corner in the poorly lit room. As you approach closer, you see that the armed peasants appear to be guarding a man gagged and chained to a stake driven into the chapel's earthen ground.

The pastor turns to you and says, "see this man? Young Aylen saw this man when he was out in the fields at harvest time. We took him in... tried to give him something to eat, but... you can see how his head won't stay right on his neck? It's broken. Looks like he somehow survived a hanging" Indeed, the chained man's neck seems elongated and angled. The pastor continues, "but, see, he's not dead. He doesn't say much... only one thing over and over. Very queer... very troubling." The pastor nodded to one of the peasant guards, who knelt to take off the chained man's gag.

"Twill be a winter of feast and famine ... The White King from his Barrows Comes... From Ceathgil's Land he comes ... The Old King under pall of winter... he will come... twill be a winter of feast and famine... The White King from his Barrows comes..."

The pastor cleared his throat and turns to you while the peasants gag the man's mouth again. "Some of the folks here, well, I hate to say it, but they're a superstitious lot. Still believe in giants sleeping under the mounds and madmen spouting prophecy they do. But God forgive me, this man gives me the chills too. We figure, as a village, I mean, with this prattling on about 'feasts and famine,' it'd be better to have some stores laid up this winter. If your Lord would permit, I beg you to let us keep our village keep our corn. The harvest hasn't been so good and it'd be a lean winter for us, prophecy or no. Aye, we'll pay your Lord double next year and for your Lord's mercy, we've a gift... Aylen found it on the man."

The pastor loosed a stone in the wall and took out a dull, thin disk roughly the size of a child's palm. As he holds it up to you, you see that it is tarnished silver. "Give it a polish, be good as new, what do you say?"

A. You may take the silver disk (worth 2 Wealth) and leave the village with a promise of the grain tribute at a later date. Your Lord decides how much Honor you lose or receive, from -1 to +1. The Quest ends.

B. You may take the silver disk and then rob the village and take its grain by force. If you win the following battle, all Retainers on the quest gain +1 Honor and your Hall gains +3 Wealth.

C. You may refuse the pastor's offer and demand the payment in grain. All Retainers on the Quest gain +1 Honor and the Hall gains +1 Wealth.

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-15, 01:11 AM
The Sword Thief (Participating Retainers: Carline, Hadrik Arios, Liria the Brave)

You prepare the ritual necessary to summon the Gazer At the Back, collecting a fish's breath, a maiden's look, a leaf of time, among other components. Summoning the little gnome proved to be easy work, and his visit in your dream fills your mind with the idea of Ceathgil Cairn.

Yet, when your party reaches the Cairn, you only find an abandoned campfire. The ashes of the campfire are warm, as if you had just missed whoever stayed among these stones.

Fanning out to search, it proves impossible to locate either hide nor hair of any robber knight. However, in your search for the robber knight, you instead locate a copse, easily missed by travelers on the main path, in which there are a number of swords stick into the ground. Upon closer inspection, most of these swords prove to be rusted through or shattered, as if they were truly ancient weapons. Yet, one of the blades seems as if it had just been placed here recently. It is bright and sharp, if plain.

Your Lord's treasury gains a Sword.

The Quest ends.

Sodos
2012-06-15, 04:06 AM
The lord asked for grain. He will have it.
Option B assuming the spell lasted

ForzaFiori
2012-06-15, 12:00 PM
"Indeed. I am sorry, but I cannot accept a payment my lord has not allowed me to keep. We must have the grain that was promised for protection. If not, I'm afraid we will have to take it, and we will be... less inclined to help you should you need it again. It wouldn't make me happy to do that to you, and it doesn't make me glad to doom you to a hard winter, but everyone must do what their superior says, or society will collapse. If this disk is so valuable, use it to buy grain from someone else."

Option C. Arutha won't support Farrrg's attempt to take the grain and the disk, but will help if the villagers wont give the grain.

MintyNinja
2012-06-15, 03:08 PM
"Well, it saddens me to say it, but it seems there is little else to do here. Let's return to Hafsnirafgren and present our Lord with the blade. Carline, if you would do the honors..."

Hadrik chooses to return to the hold and report in. He entrusts the weapon to the care of the one who likes swords.

Hadrik Arios

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-16, 06:03 AM
Blood and Bread (Participating Retainers: Sir Aruthas the Cursed, Farrrg the Mystic)

You take the silver disk given by the pastor, but the village did not owe you Lord a silver disk. The village owed your Lord his grain.

Farrrg the Mystic attacks the village for the grain and Sir Aruthas the Cursed joins him when a villager shouts "you'll never take our corn!" The villagers are not true fighting men and do not put up much of a determined defense, such that most merely brandish their weapons instead of attempting to use them. Once one of them number is killed, the other armed villagers quickly surrender.

The Retainers of Hafsnirafgren win the battle and force the peasants to give up their grain, as well as the silver disk.

For successfully delivering the village's grain to their Lord, Farrrg the Mystic and Sir Aruthas the Cursed both gain +1 Honor. Their Lord receives +3 Wealth in loot.

The Quest ends.

ForzaFiori
2012-06-16, 12:03 PM
"Look at all the dead Farrrg. This is what happens when you rush in barely thinking, like you did. We may have gained this years taxes, and that pretty bauble you had to have, but we've destroyed any chance of getting more from these people! I thought a mystic would know better, and be more level headed." Arutha says before turning and heading home.

Arutha heads back to the hold.

Korvol
2012-06-16, 07:05 PM
When the two questing parties return, they find the Hall well-lit and well equipped for the occasion. Rich linen cloths are laid upon the tables, upon which are various meats, breads, cheeses and spirits. As you enter, you find that Lord Fehrawyrd is sitting in his usual throne, talking to a slender, narrow-faced man at his right with a scar across his nose, a beard and a goatee. After the retainers have set down to their victuals, and after he finishes speaking to this man, Fehrawyrd's voice booms throughout the hall.

"Fel times are these that peasants babble of snow demons and the kings in their barrows. Let us hope that it is we who feast and they who suffer famine, for the dead need no repast." He shifts in his throne before continuing, and though you are not sure how he already knows the results of your errands, you may recall him mentioning that he will be watching.

"It would appear that Farrrg and Arutha have made for themselves names already, bringing back both grain and treasure. Nevertheless, while my army must feed itself to fight whatever threat lies beyond these doors, we must trust that no other villages see it dangerous to deal with us. And that is all I will say on the matter."

"Now, I have someone else to whom I must introduce you," he says, gesturing to man on his right. "This is Faura, my seneschal. In my absences, he will execute the orders that I provide to him, and you will obey them as if I spoke them myself. I say this for your benefit, so that you will have orders when I must take leave, as I am wont to do."

"Finally, you will find everything has been laid in order for this evening's festivities. I do, however, suggest that you check your bedchambers, particularly your desks, before you go to sleep tonight - drunken or otherwise. I think you will find something of particular use to you."

With that, Fehrawyrd returns to his private conversation, and his hall returns to its mead.

The description of the food is just fluff. I am, unfortunately, not throwing a feast.
Also, I have a bit of traveling planned for the next couple of weeks. I should be able to get out comments and make the usual court-phase stuff on my phone, but I wanted to let you know that if something is late that's why. Faura, represents (in the game) times that I will be traveling.

Lord Fehrawyrd the One-Eyed
Trickster
Hall: Halfsnirafgren
1 Round Shield
1 Drab Cloak
1 Golden Ring
1 Sword
5 Wealth

Fehrawyrd is a snow-bearded northerner who, like all northerners, is keen-eyed and tall despite his advanced age. Rumored to be the son of Fehdymander the Hacked (a legendary figure in of himself known to be a prolific tale-teller, giant-killer and lady-lover), Fehrawyrd wandered for many years in the icy wastes, at some point losing his right eye, before returning to claim his Lordship in this land. A follower of the Old Gods, Fehrawyrd is believed to especially worship Joten the Alfather since Halfsnirafgren Hall is decorated extensively with the raven carvings and images that are classically associated with that deity.

MintyNinja
2012-06-16, 07:54 PM
Hadrik enjoys the festivities through a muted disposition. His own quest having resulted in meager spoils he was feeling a sense of inadequacy. After his lord's speech Hadrik returns to his room and reads the missive. An idea strikes and he marches back into the hall.

"I declare a Duel!" He pronounces to the witnesses. "Nartin the Faithful. Bring this man to me with answer or fighting spirit and let us see how his Faith saves him."

Hadrik has Initiated a duel. However, I'm about to go out for the night and will be unable to respond until tomorrow. Virtruviansquid, if acceptable, I'd like to just roll here and now for each possible outcome.
Valor: [roll]1d6+2[roll]
Guile: [roll0]
Sorcery: [roll1]

Please keep in mind Hadrik's Vicious Trait.

Hadrik Arios

MintyNinja
2012-06-16, 07:55 PM
Valor Reroll: [roll0]. Sorry bout the double post.

Korvol
2012-06-18, 12:26 AM
Faura distributes honors and items. That is all.

Hadrik receives great honors
Liria gains lesser honors
Sir Arutha gains lesser honors
Liria gains a sword
Carline gains a drab cloak

The internet I have right now is awful, so I probably won't be able to assign quests. Please choose yourselves, as long as Carline/Sir Arutha and Hadrik/Farrrg don't go on the same quests. I'd prefer no mage or warrior stacking.

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-18, 07:36 AM
Turn 2: The Barrow of the Ancient King

As the winter goes on, the cold becomes more and more savage, and so do the men. In part, the poor autumn harvest, like many poor harvests in the past, drove many farmers to look covetously toward their neighbors' granaries. Yet, there is also a distinct sense of restlessness in the air. The great and humble alike felt danger coming from just below the horizon and could not figure out exactly why. Tales of strange and apocalyptic omens multiply, often focused like the hanged man's ramblings on Ceathgil Cairn and the ancient mound next to it.

As Lords of the land, it is you and your warriors who must find out what is going on at Ceathgil Cairn. To do so requires entering the mound near the Cairn.

Quest 1: The White King's Tomb

Objectives: Your investigation of the omens brings you to the mound by Ceathgil Cairns. Ideally you would find a few decayed bodies, the corpses of honored heroes from ages past, upon entering the mound, see that nothing is out of place, seal up the tomb again, and leave it in peace (perhaps not before taking some ancient valuables back to your Hall). But, if any of the ominous stories you've been hearing about are true, that is not likely to be the case.

Battle Difficulty: 3

Max Honor Loss/Gain: -3/2

Max Booty: 5

Conditions: None

Quest 2: The Watchers at the Mound

Objectives: While the focus of the omens are on the mound or Cairn, there are similarly many rumors of strange men and monsters roaming the area. Among these are a rumor that Cirnugal the Fairblooded, the legendary druid of old, has escaped death's realm and come to wander Ceathgil. As well, there are reports that a band of foreign holy warriors of the New Faith have come to establish a temple on top of the famous mound.

Battle Difficulty: 2

Max Honor Loss/Gain: -2/+2

Max Booty: 2

Conditions: None.

MintyNinja
2012-06-18, 09:44 AM
Receiving no word from Nartin, Hadrik assumes the man declined his duel. Once given the chance to choose a quest he decides that if one known as the faithful can be so cowardly, then why not have word with a band of Holy Warriors of this faith. Perchance his desire for battle will be sated.

Hadrik chooses Quest 2.
Hadrik Arios
Honor: 5

ForzaFiori
2012-06-18, 01:43 PM
Arutha began preparing as soon as he heard of the problems at the Cairn. The dead should have peace, and he was going to insure that they got it.

Arutha chooses quest 1

Honor: 4

daelrog
2012-06-27, 08:08 PM
Carline gives the sword earned from following the mysterious thief to put into his holdings, or to give to whom he chooses.

"I will investigate the White King's Tomb with Arutha."

She bowed low, hoping that this time she would be better able to assist this man who wished to become the White King. She blamed the reliance on magic for their failure before over faith, and hoepfully wandering with a fellow warrior would prove better results.

New Faith