PDA

View Full Version : Warband - Rise of the White King - The Abominable Ruin of Dragonfen

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-08, 07:18 PM
Owner of this Hall: GnomeGninjas - Borug Brodash

Retainers of this Hall:
Robert Blackletter - Uric the Eagle-eyed
Elemental - Haakon, the Snowy-Shouldered
Cloudsmeet - Bornhald the Red
Partysan - Arash Daryatashi
Worlok - Iban Vault

A blizzard howled and raged around the plains of Amarlethe like the echoes of an ancient battle. The year was even grimmer than the last. As the growing seasons shortened and the winter winds bit sharper and crueler over the past five years, a general sense of impending doom came to define the mood in the kingdom. In the fields and hamlets, peasants talked of winter swelling and swelling to devour the other seasons. Meanwhile, the voices of prophets and madmen filled the market towns, crying the wrath of God or even of archaic spirits, who rise once again from their enchanted groves to torment men. But, in the keep of castle Hald-Amar, between its thick stone walls and sturdy timbers unmarred by stone or steel, the great King Conn Korgal held his court a feast. From every county of Amarlethe, every knight and damsel gathered to this feast, and over every kind of dainty they forgot the winter and closing in. Here were glowing hearths and the warmth of wine to lift the spirits.
Now, at this feast, the good King Conn Korgal declared, “My good brave knights, true men of steel and valor to match the heroes of olden times, who, it is reputed, killed monsters and ogres in the country, let us put aside our arms today. And, being not warriors when there is no war to fight but against the foul weather (a monster not for us to slay) let us make merry and no strife.” And so the feast commenced in spectacular fashion. The court emptied, stripped and made desolate plates, platters, tankards, and carcass bones as fast they could be replaced on the tables. They sang and danced, made toasts and jokes, and all agreed, especially king Conn Korgal, the only thing missing from the feast was a bard to sing epics of the heroes of old. But then,

“Such a lack is not so bad, as far as dearths might go,”
said the patched robes in a cold, dark corner of the hall.
“Just ope your mouth and ask for it, and look here, lo.”

Standing by the hall’s great gate, stood a figure dark and tall
“A bard ye sought, a song ye asked, and I’ve come o gracious host”
Clad in rags and patches, he bowed toward King Korgal

“I’ve a tale to sing you, one that’s praiseworthy most.
A tale of Amarlethe, long before your reign
Back when fairies woods did haunt, and serpents swam the coast.

And men of faith and piety sought out this land to tame.”
King Korgal cheered approval, “dear bard, then sing for us!
I’ve food and drink and silver, so tell what epic is your aim!”

“My song is of a time when this land knew no King.
It was a time of dark and treachery, but also light and just.
Ruled as it was by three great Lords who in three great Halls dwelt

And with their men they sheltered from the coming storm
For it was then as it is now, a time of frost and famine…

edit: One thing I forgot to mention elsewhere and seems like it'd be really handy. Whenever you post in your Hall's thread, include a copy of your most current character sheet at the end of the post. This should help logistics a lot and will be added to the rulebook asap. >_>

Elemental
2012-06-09, 04:53 AM
Lord Brodash's invitation to his hall was a great honour, and something that Haakon could deny. So he put on his dark green cloak, slung his bow and quiver across his back and picked up his spear.
Surely his prowess was not so great that those who dwelt in the valleys so far below would call for his services, but who was he to turn down honour, not to mention wealth?
Everyone in the village had gathered to see him off, and he waved back to them, promising that he would bring fame to the village of Elm. And with that, he began the long walk to the castle of Borug Brodash.
The old witch who dwelt at the edge of the village had wanted him to take her horse, and he had wanted to, but he declined. The walk was easy after all. Downhill all the way.

-------------------------------

Forgot to put this in...
Haakon the Snowy-Shouldered

Hall: The Abominable Ruin of Dragonfen
Traits: Esteemed/Covetous
Equipment: Iron Spear, Bow and Arrows, Drab Cloak

Valor:2(+2)
Aim:2
Guile:2(+1)
Sorcery:
Resistance:

Honour:2

Religion: Old Gods
Default Tactic: Skirmish

In case any of you were curious, the name is a reference to his origin from the forests high in the mountains.
He is a skilled hunter/tracker and quite adept at hiding in the forests. His personal preference is to use his bow, but he does not shun close combat. The new faith hasn't quite reached up into the mountains yet, so he retains the old traditions and can tell all the old stories and sing all the old songs.
His favourite leisure activity is to gather with his fellow warriors and/or hunters and share stories over some mead.

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-09, 05:35 AM
In his hall Brodash is contemplative. His rivals are obviously plotting against him and he isn't sure if his plan to get great warriors from across his domain to exalt and send on quest is such a good idea. Sure it gives the people heroes to sing about and celebrate but the greatest warriors in the world could hardly stand against an army.
Just then a messenger rushes into his hall and kneels at his feet. "I have delivered the summons, the warriors are on there way now!" the messengers says breathlessly. "Good." replies Brodash glad of the news "Now leave I'm thinking about stuff far above your intelligence level." Somewhat insulted the messenger retreats, when his master is in an annoyed mood or is angry at you its bad to stick around, especially if you are just a servant . Brodash goes back to thinking.

Robert Blackletter
2012-06-09, 10:07 AM
Uric made his way to the lords hall.

Retainer’s Name: Uric the Eagle eyed
Traits: Brawny, Cowardly
Equipment:
Bow and arrows
Drab Cloak
Holy Symbol
Valor:0
Guile:1+1=2
Sorcery:0
Resistance:0+2=2
Honor:

Faith: New
Default Tactic:Skirmish

Will put in more later, this post to confirm playing and gain subscription.

Worlok
2012-06-09, 11:00 AM
Posessed of a dread nervosity as always, Iban had made his way towards Abominable Dragonfen in contemplations of purpose: He, who he was of virtue pure, sent by the One towards this den of heathenry! What for, my god, what for? Finding himself at the gates before long, it had been under repeated kissing of the Bronzen Wheel and silent recitation of what little litanies he knew when he at last dared enter, and even then his step was slow and courage failing - certainly, his "renown" had not spread so far as to make this Lord Brodash wish to try him for blasphemic missionary work? He had only come to this strangest of lands a mere month ago, after all. What else would it be? And could his True Lord hold a shielding hand over him here as well as otherwhere? Of course, Wallyce, of course, just remain calm. he muttered, making his way into the Hall uneasily and staying close to the wall he still leant on now.

Retainer’s Name: Iban Vault (formerly Wallyce the Rat)
Hall: ???
Traits: Esteemed, Wasteful
Equipment: Bow and Arrow, Drab Cloak, Holy Symbol
Aim:0
Guile:3+1=4
Honor:2
Religion: New Faith

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-09, 05:25 PM
A servant approaches Brodash and kneels before him. "Oh high king, some of those you sent for are arriving now." "Thank you for the news, I shall greet them now." Brodash moves to in front of the gate and stands there looking important as it slowly grinds open. He greets each of the new comers in turn "Haakon how great is it that you lend you talents to your benevolent warlord. I thank you for your loyalty. Iban you heeded my summons good, good. Your talents will be most helpful for the upcoming adventure and you shall earn great honor in the eyes of the people as well as my own. Urik, well met I say. Come in everyone and be happy the good and loyal peasants have provided us with many riches after the tax. Feel free to eat heartily, if you are under equipped go to the armor and if you swear and oath of loyalty I shall probably grant you what you want."

Elemental
2012-06-09, 08:58 PM
Haakon bowed low before Brodash.
It is indeed a great honour to serve you, my lord.
Word of your hall's hospitality has spread far and wide. Long had I thought the stories were exaggerations, believing no single lord could have such wealth, but now I see that the stories do not do you justice.
Haakon bowed to his fellow retainers, and then looked up to admire the carved timbers of the building.

------------------

Sorcery:
Resistance:

In case any of you were curious, the name is a reference to his origin from the forests high in the mountains.
He is a skilled hunter/tracker and quite adept at hiding in the forests. His personal preference is to use his bow, but he does not shun close combat. The new faith hasn't quite reached up into the mountains yet, so he retains the old traditions and can tell all the old stories and sing all the old songs.
His favourite leisure activity is to gather with his fellow warriors and/or hunters and share stories over some mead.

Partysan
2012-06-10, 02:54 AM
Arash held his horse at the gates of Castle Brodash. He had been out riding when the messenger reached him, and decided to come directly so as to not be even more late than he already was.
He entered the outer castle, flanked by servants to take his horse and cloak. He asked them for an opportunity to freshen up from the ride, then made his way to the great hall where Borug Brodash awaited his retainers.
He didn't know what the lord had in mind in calling them, but hoped that it might give him opportunity to travel again. As much as he enjoyed the lord's hospitality and especially the feasts, staying at court for a longer amount of time was rarely something he could stomach.

At last he entered the hall where most of the others had already taken their seats.
"Greetings, my lord. I have come at once as I recieved your call and thank you for your invitation. I hope I can be of service."

Retainer’s Name: Arash Daryatashi
Hall: Borug Brodash - The Abominable Ruin of Dragonfen
Traits: Bold, Covetous
Faith: Old Gods
Equipment: Iron Spear, Rune Stone
Valor: 2+1
Aim: 0
Guile: 0
Sorcery: 0+2
Resistance: 1
Honor: 0
Default Tactic: Sorcery

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-10, 06:09 AM
Borug looks up from his meal and seems Arash. He is glad that Arash arrived safely and doesn't mind him being late. "Arash welcome. Your presence fills me with great joy and yes you definately can be of service your help will be appreciated. If you are under equipped my armory can supply you if you are hungry my servants can supply you. Join us in our dining."

Lord’s Name: Borug Brodash
Type: Warlord
Retainers:Robert Blackletter - Uric the Eagle-eyed
Worlok - Iban Vault
Treasury:1 Horse,1 Rune Stone,1 Bow and Arrows,2 Wealth
Backstory: Borug Hamrinson was a peasant. He didn't have very much money though he did have ambitions. He dreamed that some day he would be a lord and he wouldn't have to worry about needing to grow enough food to satisfy the lords taxes and feed his family. When he was 34 he saw his chance. There was a famine, many of the lords soldiers had left him and dissatisfaction with the lord was very high among the lower class. Borug led a mob of about 4000 peasants against the lord and his supporters, towns were burned and the Castle of Dragonfen was besieged. The lords military probably would have won had not one of the servants working in the castle set fire to the grain storage. The lord surrendered and was executed by the mob and the castle was pillaged and burned, afterwords Borug declared himself the new lord, changed his name to Brodash meaning "high king" in the tongue of the dragons, and then ruled his territory basicly the same way his predecessor did.

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-11, 02:53 AM
Bornhald makes his way through snowy mountains before appearing at the gates of Dragonfen, where he stands and smirks. "Here is where I make my fortune, methinks..." Dressed in his signature red brocade robe and coat, he strides through the open gates and enters into the hall. He immediately seeks out Lord Brodash, and makes himself known with a ostentatious bow.

Retainer’s Name: Bornhald the Red
Traits: Vicious, Covetous
Equipment: Runestone, Drab Cloak
Guile:0+1
Sorcery:2+2=4
Resistance:1
Honor:0
Default Tactic: Magic

Partysan
2012-06-11, 01:52 PM
"Thanks, mylord," Arash nods while sitting down. "I am indeed hungry."
He helps himself to the crisp, fat-dripping leg of a roast duck, has a servant fill his cup with wine and begins to make his way to the banquet, leaving one ear open for announcements.

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-11, 04:02 PM
Brodash looks up as Bornhald approaches. "Bornhald, I glad you chose of your own free will to come here and serve me in these hard times. A powerful sorcerer will be of great help to me. Eat food, visit the armory, be glad of my hospitality."

Elemental
2012-06-12, 12:31 AM
Indeed. The hospitality of your hall is great. Your servants have prepared an excellent meal. And indeed, the artisans who crafted this structure are men and women of great skill.
And who, My Lord, are these fellow warriors you have gathered to your court? It would be an honour to be properly introduced.

-----------------

Anyone else notice that the court consists of three archers and two sorcerers?

Sorcery:
Resistance:

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-12, 06:06 AM
Turn 1: The Omens

Quest 1: Blood and Bread

Objectives: There is a certain village in your domain which had in spring depended on your swords and spears against river trolls and in summer enjoyed your warriors’ protection from the beasts of the woods. Now, these villagers have not sent the grain you they owed for your services. Whether the villagers failed or refused to pay, it would be wise to send a trustworthy retainer or two to the village to collect what’s rightfully yours.

Battle Difficulty: 1

Max Honor Loss/Gain: -2/+1

Max Booty: 3

Conditions: None.

Quest 2: The Sword Thief

Objectives: Many curious tales have reached your hall of a dreadful robber knight who roams the countryside. Some say he is an old and valiant soldier who fights only armed men to test his might. Others claim he is a wicked fairy of the woods, come to exact revenge on the druids who sealed him in the otherworld. Still others believe he is merely a peasant boy who’d stolen a sword. In any case, this robber knight is surrounded by very strange rumors and sounds like a dangerous man to be allowed to walk free.

Battle Difficulty: 2

Max Honor Loss/Gain: -1/+2

Max Booty: 5

Conditions: None

edit: oops, some part of this failed to copy/paste. Fixed.

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-12, 06:06 AM
" It would be best if you introduce your selves, hearing what one says about them self can tell you a lot about them." Brodash listens attentively to tone of voice and watchs for eye movements and other details about how the speak acts when he speaks.

Worlok - Iban Vault
Treasury:1 Horse,1 Rune Stone,1 Bow and Arrows,2 Wealth
Backstory: Borug Hamrinson was a peasant. He didn't have very much money though he did have ambitions. He dreamed that some day he would be a lord and he wouldn't have to worry about needing to grow enough food to satisfy the lords taxes and feed his family. When he was 34 he saw his chance. There was a famine, many of the lords soldiers had left him and dissatisfaction with the lord was very high among the lower class. Borug led a mob of about 4000 peasants against the lord and his supporters, towns were burned and the Castle of Dragonfen was besieged. The lords military probably would have won had not one of the servants working in the castle set fire to the grain storage. The lord surrendered and was executed by the mob and the castle was pillaged and burned, afterwords Borug declared himself the new lord, changed his name to Brodash meaning "high king" in the tongue of the dragons, and then ruled his territory basicly the same way his predecessor did.

Elemental
2012-06-12, 06:31 AM
Then of course, I shall speak first.
Haakon rose to his feet and addressed his fellow retainers.
Fellow warriors. I am Haakon the Snowy-Shouldered, a hunter of some skill from the Village of Elm. Many a long Winter I have tracked prey through the forests and kept the village in meat. By some fluke, word of my deeds has reached Lord Brodash and he saw fit to summon me.
He bowed to Lord Brodash before continuing.
It is my hope that together, we can forge many deeds that shall keep the bards occupied for some time.
The hunter returned to his seat, and waited for the next retainer to speak.
While doing so, he took a sip of mead. This mead is good, I should be involved with Lords more often...

-----------------

Sorcery:
Resistance:

I'm not fussed about which quest I get at the moment.

Robert Blackletter
2012-06-12, 04:10 PM
A older man stood up, dressed as a hunter and with piercing blue eyes "I am Uric, Called the Eagle eyed by some. I am surprised at my summoning here, for most of my deeds were in the far south, where I fought in the southern wars and I became a hunter of men, most famously the bandit king Darus." Uric looked directly at Brodash "I came north to retire, but to to truthful I was getting bored in my hut alone, so if your willing to have me my lord, I pledge my bow to you. Please allow me to earn great glory in your name
-----------------

Equipment:
Bow and arrows
Drab Cloak
Holy Symbol
Honor:

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-13, 04:03 AM
Blood and Bread

Your journey to the village was difficult for the bitter cold, but largely uneventful. When you arrive, you see that the village is a humble affair of four stick huts and a small stone chapel to the New Faith surrounded by a thin palisade wall more likely built to keep out wolves than armed warriors.

As you approach the village walls, you are greeted by a young man wearing a pendant of a carved stone wheel over dusty rough work clothes - he must be the pastor of the chapel. He greets you cordially and, anticipating your mission, invites you to the chapel to discuss the missing grain. As he speaks with you at the village gates, you see that a number of villagers are coming out of their huts. Two of them are carrying farming implements, a sickle and a flail, which strike you as odd given that the harvest had long gone. The villagers stare intently at you and the pastor while he insists that you come to the chapel.

A. You attack the villagers on the spot. Clearly, the villagers intend to stall you in the chapel to murder you. Instead, if you attacked the villagers now, you would have the tactical advantage as fewer of the peasants will have gotten their weapons and you won't have to start the fight totally surrounded. Once you've cowed the villagers by killing some of their friends and family, you may simply take the grain yourselves back to your Lord.

B. You demand an explanation about the missing grain, but refuse to enter the chapel no matter how much the pastor insists. Something suspicious is going on, but you don't know why.

C. You enter the chapel to discuss the grain with the pastor. The peasants are understandably tense at your arrival, but there is no reason to assume they'll be using their crude weapons.

D. Too many things are wrong with this situation. The stares those peasants are giving you, the pastor's insistence that you come to the chapel, the lack of a grain tribute this year when the village has paid on time every other year... Too many things don't add up, you turn and bolt from the village without any grain. (-2 Honor, quest ends immediately)

The Sword Thief

The robber knight proves a difficult man to track down, if he even is a man. Part of the problem with finding him is how imaginative the people who encounter him are. Even asking around in a single farmstead, you've heard the farmer say he towered like a giant and headed north, the farmer's daughter say he had a fey look in his eyes and could take no steps but west toward the setting sun, while a field slave claimed he had scales like a fish and craved the warm waters to the south.

In any case, the most commonly recurring features told about this robber knight are as follows:

He does not kill for money or in the heat of anger. A great deal of the stories about the robber knight concern his eccentricities in deciding who to rob.

Many the stories about the robber knight tell about how he is either inhuman or an exceptional human. Curiously, many of these stories have to do with some characteristic of his skin - that he is covered with fish scales, weeping sores, or how his skin is hard like iron.

A great number of the stories about the robber knight concentrate on his unique property of his sword, and many tales claim that he carries multiple swords or weapons.

A. You take all the stories you've gathered about the robber knight and attempt to figure out a pattern in his travels by systematically weeding out the false ones. Doing so gives you the idea that it would be possible to meet the robber knight at Ceathgil Cairns, a collection of standing stones at the border of a certain forest once said to be haunted by the fey. (This decision requires a test of two times the Guile of the most Guileful Retainer on the quest +2d6)

B. This robber knight sounds like a creature of strong magic and would thus be known to the Gazer At the Back, a certain gnome. Given enough time to perform your rituals, you might summon and ensnare Gazer At the Back to tell you that you could meet the robber knight at Ceathgil Cairns. (This decision requires a test of the combined Sorcery of every Retainer on the quest +2d6)

C. There seems to be nothing for it but to keep searching. Eventually, you might cross paths with the robber knights by sheer coincidence. (This decision requires a test of 2 + 2d6)

OOC
Technically, it's not particularly fair on Hafsnirafgren that I post the first decisions of the quest before your hall's assigned Retainers to undertake them, but given my absence on Monday and this being the first questing phase ever, I'll allow quest assignments until 12:00AM Thursday. Also because I'm not sure everything got the memo (so to speak) I'll also allow Lords to distribute equipment and confer honors for the 1st Court Phase until 12:00AM Thursday. Please make your quest assignments ASAP!

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-13, 10:08 AM
"Well, my lord? What task would you send us upon? I myself would like to seek out this robber knight if I could, and bring him down."

Bornhald bows to his lord, awaiting his response.

Partysan
2012-06-13, 11:18 AM
"Forgive me, but I think we do not have finished the introductions yet. My own humble name is Arash, called the Daryatashi which in your tongue might be phrased as Arash from the Burning Sea. I am first and foremost a friend and follower of this land's spirits, which leads me to travel and explore the sacred groves and springs, holy plains and forests and blessed stones and mountains.
I am glad to have been called here and I am willing to earn and offer glory by both rune and blade. And, to come back to you whom I interrupted, I would join the hunt for this mysterious robber as well."

Worlok
2012-06-13, 02:17 PM
Bowing low, the wayward wonderweaver responds thusly: "Good Lord Brodash, it would be most generous of you to have us share the adoration of the people, yet whatever honor our efforts avail would truly be due you, for it is by your judgment that we bring our strengths to bear." A pagan he might be, yet he's a noble still, and as of right this instant, he is in command. It should behoove me to remember that. "If I, however, might humbly suggest a course of action, it would strike me as a favorable cause to look into the matter of the missing grain, as lest experience deceives me, robbers tend to flock towards such sites of thievery, and we would thus perchance have opportunity to hit two birds with but one slingshot, as it were." And, straightening himself to meet the introductions of his lessers partners, he adds without sparing them a look: "So speaks Iban, son of Wallyce-son-of-Kurt. At your service, and most hopefully to the approval of Our Lord." Which one I am refering to, they need not know, not yet, he thinks, one hand inadvertently making sure that the Bronzen Wheel remains well out of sight in his pocket, seeing how in such trying times, one can not be mindful enough of one's company. That he is -that- Iban Vault, miracle-worker and preacher-man, does well staying at the sole discretion of Lord Brodash, as it stands. "Yet with your permission, I would deign to now partake of this feast you have graciously seen to provide, for the long road has starved me dearly." It is, after all, well-advised to make sure of permissions, right?

Hall: ???

Robert Blackletter
2012-06-13, 06:15 PM
"Lord, I have hunted men before, may I respectfully request you utilise my experience and send me after this rogue knight? I often find truth in the legends spread about these lawless fools, and I feel sure careful study of the stories the peasants tell would lead me to him."

O.O.C if Brodash agrees the option A
-----------------

Equipment:
Bow and arrows
Drab Cloak
Holy Symbol
Honor:

Default Tactic:Skirmish[/QUOTE]

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-13, 07:17 PM
"Good loyal people. I summoned you to aid me with the many troubles of the kingdom, there are two at the moment that your help could be useful for. A village is not properly repaying me for my services to it and I need your help to convince them of the nessicity of there help to thier dedicated and just ruler. Also some guy is roaming the country side and maybe causing trouble, deal with him. I will allow you to chose how best to solve these problems yourselves do to the great faith I have in you."

Take what ever quests you want.

Elemental
2012-06-13, 10:36 PM
Then I shall leave at once to resolve the issue of the missing grain. A village wouldn't be lax in their tribute without good reason.

-------------------------------------

I'm going to the village, and I choose option C.
Anyone coming with me?

Sorcery:
Resistance:

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-15, 12:40 AM
Blood and Bread (Participating Retainers: Iban Vault, Haakon the Snowy-Shouldered)

You invoke a spell of protection and allow the pastor to lead you into the chapel.

Miraculously, the inside of the chapel is a single chamber seemingly even smaller than the outside appearance of the building would suggest. On the wall opposite of the door hangs a large wooden wheel. But, what draws your immediate attention is the presence of two peasant men holding spears, watching the far corner in the poorly lit room. As you approach closer, you see that the armed peasants appear to be guarding a man gagged and chained to a stake driven into the chapel's earthen ground.

The pastor turns to you and says, "see this man? Young Aylen saw this man when he was out in the fields at harvest time. We took him in... tried to give him something to eat, but... you can see how his head won't stay right on his neck? It's broken. Looks like he somehow survived a hanging" Indeed, the chained man's neck seems elongated and angled. The pastor continues, "but, see, he's not dead. He doesn't say much... only one thing over and over. Very queer... very troubling." The pastor nodded to one of the peasant guards, who knelt to take off the chained man's gag.

"Twill be a winter of feast and famine ... The White King from his Barrows Comes... From Ceathgil's Land he comes ... The Old King under pall of winter... he will come... twill be a winter of feast and famine... The White King from his Barrows comes..."

The pastor cleared his throat and turns to you while the peasants gag the man's mouth again. "Some of the folks here, well, I hate to say it, but they're a superstitious lot. Still believe in giants sleeping under the mounds and madmen spouting prophecy they do. But God forgive me, this man gives me the chills too. We figure, as a village, I mean, with this prattling on about 'feasts and famine,' it'd be better to have some stores laid up this winter. If your Lord would permit, I beg you to let us keep our village keep our corn. The harvest hasn't been so good and it'd be a lean winter for us, prophecy or no. Aye, we'll pay your Lord double next year and for your Lord's mercy, we've a gift... Aylen found it on the man."

The pastor loosed a stone in the wall and took out a dull, thin disk roughly the size of a child's palm. As he holds it up to you, you see that it is tarnished silver. "Give it a polish, be good as new, what do you say?"

A. You may take the silver disk (worth 2 Wealth) and leave the village with a promise of the grain tribute at a later date. Your Lord decides how much Honor you lose or receive, from -1 to +1. The Quest ends.

B. You may take the silver disk and then rob the village and take its grain by force. If you win the following battle, all Retainers on the quest gain +1 Honor and your Hall gains +3 Wealth.

C. You may refuse the pastor's offer and demand the payment in grain. All Retainers on the Quest gain +1 Honor and the Hall gains +1 Wealth.

Elemental
2012-06-15, 01:23 AM
It is acceptable to me Good Pastor.
This prophecy is disturbing and if your harvests were poor to begin with, I am certain our Lord will accept this payment. After all, a village that starves to death can never pay tribute again.
I shall deliver to Lord Brodash your promise of paying the tribute when you can and this message so that he can prepare.

--------------------------

Option A. Of course. It seems like the honourable choice, and it's double the wealth we would have gotten if we had just demanded the grain.

Sorcery:
Resistance:

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-15, 01:36 AM
The Sword Thief (Participating Retainers: Urik the Eagle-Eyed, Bornhald the Red, Arash Daryatashi)

You prepare the ritual necessary to summon the Gazer At the Back, collecting a fish's breath, a maiden's look, a leaf of time, among other components. Summoning the little gnome proved to be easy work, and his visit in your dream fills your mind with the idea of Ceathgil Cairn.

When you reach Ceathgil Cairns, you see the silhouette of a man sitting with his back to one of the giant cairnstones. In front of him is a fireplace. Around the fireplace lie three broken swords.

Approaching the figure at the fireplace, it becomes difficult for you to confirm that he is indeed a man. The figure is certainly man-shaped, though tremendously tall - at least a head and a half taller than the average grown man. Whats more, it is clad in a full-masked helmet, a long hauberk of rusted scale armor, and greaves over steel-toed boots so that his entire body is obscured. Around its waist is a belt on which hung a sword, presumably unbroken. You can see no surface of skin at all. More unsettling, the man seems to be sitting so still that he is not breathing.

It is only when the figure emitted a sound that you realize it was some kind of man or fairy.

"Hail." Its voice was low and gravelly, like the beginnings of an avalanche. "Lewn, son of Lath, King's carl speaks. You've no business with me, nor I with you. Begone."

A. You draw weapons and fight with Lew. If you win the battle, all Retainers who fought gain +2 Honor and your Hall receives a Sword and your Lord receives +2 Wealth. All Retainers who opt not to fight lose -1 Honor.

B. You ask Lew to leave this land, taking care of the robber knight problem, hopefully.

C. You do as Lew says and leave immediately. All Retainers who leave lose -1 Honor.

Robert Blackletter
2012-06-15, 05:18 AM
Turning to his fellow questers, Uric whispered"If he speaks truthfully and is a noble son, then we would be foolish to attack him first, leaving our lord open you retaliation, Lets respectfully request he leave these lands, and be ready to defend ourselves if he take offence at our words

O.O.c option b

Equipment:
Bow and arrows
Drab Cloak
Holy Symbol
Honor:

Partysan
2012-06-15, 05:42 AM
Arash lowers his head to murmur an answer. "I support your decision to a point, but we cannot leave the resolution to his discretion. We can politely ask him to leave, but if he declines we will have to fight him. Lord Brodash would be as pleased with the spoils as with the piece of the land, I'm sure. Our victory seems likely. But yes, we will grant him the option of pieceful retreat."

OOC: I support options A or B, depending on the arguments of my fellow questers. At the moment we seems to be resting on option B.

Robert Blackletter
2012-06-15, 07:29 AM
Uric whispered"Agreed, if he refuses to leave then we have no choice but to force him from our lords land. That should be clear in our message to him."

Equipment:
Bow and arrows
Drab Cloak
Holy Symbol
Honor:

Default Tactic:Skirmish[/QUOTE]

Cloudsmeet
2012-06-15, 09:33 AM
Bornhald joins the conversation with "Asking him to leave is surely the most reasonable option. But if blood must be shed, I will ensure that it is his."

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-16, 04:35 AM
Blood and Bread (participating Retainers: Iban Vault, Haakon the Snowy-Shouldered)

You take the silver disk back to your Hall and part with the villagers on good terms.

Your Lord's treasury gains +2 Wealth and your Lord may decide in the ensuing Court Phase whether you lose -1 Honor, gain +1 Honor, or neither.

The Quest Ends

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-16, 07:13 AM
The Sword Thief (Participating Retainers: Urik the Eagle-Eyed, Bornhald the Red, Arash Daryatashi)

Your attempt to ask Lew to leave this land only causes him to give a rumbling laugh, as he grabs a long iron spear from the ground behind him. "I tire to hear men talk." He shifts into a fighting stance with spear in his hand, sword at his belt, and armor all over his body. "Now we fight"

Lew throws himself against your party with a fury. He fights tirelessly, discarding his spear when it breaks against a cairnstone and drawing his sharp steel sword. The battle lasts hours, at which time Lew gives as many blows as he receives.

Finally, when each fighter is pushed to his limits, the combat slows down. Finall, Lew puts his sword back into his scabbard as your party has nearly run out of arrows and magical tricks. "You strike well" he says, in between deep breaths. "I have come to collect swords. The four I seek are Iyenar, Caladwyr, Tryrus, and Tindal. All others are useless to my king."

"Here," Lew throws a pouch to the ground. "My ill-gotten gains. I will honor your request." With that, Lew leaves the battleground.

For holding your ground against Lew and effecting his departure, each Retainer on this quest gains +2 Honor.

You have not killed Lew, and still have little idea what kind of man or fairy he is.

The pouch Lew left you contained 3 Wealth worth of golden coins. Your Lord gains +3 Wealth.

The Quest Ends.

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-16, 07:14 AM
Brodash orders the captain of the guard to"Send out a squad of soldiers to assist the people hunting down the swordthief, not enough to dwarf my champions role in the battle but enough to make a difference"
I use my warlord power to increase the wounds we do by one.
Oh, the battle is all ready resolved so I couldn't have done that.

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-17, 07:47 AM
OOC

GnomeGninjas - Yeah. Sorry, GnomeGninjas, but I lost a day last week and figured I'd better cut the battles rather than the major decisions from the quests. This is the only times when battles last just 1 round.

Elemental
2012-06-17, 07:53 AM
Haakon enters the Hall, silver disk in hand. He bowed before Lord Brodash.
Apologies my Lord, but the village could not give up any grain for fear of starvation. Instead, they offer this treasure as a compromise.
When they can, they have promised to pay the grain they owe.
Haakon stood and offered the disk to Brodash.
Also... I bring troubling news that I shall share with you away from prying ears.

-----------------

He's just telling you about the crazy guy in private so your servants don't panic.

Sorcery:
Resistance:

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-17, 10:17 AM
"At least you got something, I hope that they actually give me grain when they can. Thank you for the news of the mad guy I shall send my soldiers to take care of him. I am glad that you are safe and the peasents aren't rebeling." After recieving the disturding news about the insane person Brodash quietly tells the captain of the guard to bring the crazy person before him.
Worlok - Iban Vault
Treasury:1 Horse,1 Rune Stone,1 Bow and Arrows, 7 Wealth

Does anyone want anything from my armory? Also am I right to assume that as a lord you win by having the most wealth at the end of the game?

Worlok
2012-06-17, 07:42 PM
A troubling cold having rendered him nigh-on speech- and thusly useless over the course of the quest, Iban finds himself doubly grateful for having had a companion with him on the way. While personally, he would have prefered to take a group of soldiers with them and take the owed tribute by force, and more so upon hearing of the pagan superstition running rampant in the peasantfolk, he realises Haakon's decision was for the best. However, there is one thing still to be resolved in this: "Ceathgil's Land... My Lord, would you have knowledge as to where or what that is? And who this Ceathgil is, not to mention that White King of his? While I commend good Haakon's sense of urgency, it has left me no rest since our return. The madman also spoke of famine and of feast - While I could understand the failing of the crops to mean the famine... When a man speaks through a broken neck to offer prophecy, it would surprise me if the matter were resolved with that." Iban remembers holding his Bronzen Wheel all the more firmly in hand upon the revelations in the village, and even now the memory shakes him some - He surely will have to help himself to a winter of feast all his own, starting this evening best of all. Yes, he tells himself, that is what I believe that I should do. But first: "I would also prefer to be sent with the men that retrieve this troubling one, as I remember the villagers having armed themselves, and I believe it would be well within my capabilities to reason with them should a misunderstanding arise. In that, however, I would possibly have need of a less range-dependant weapon of some sort, the easier to verify me acting in your service with... and, Heaven forbid, defend myself, in case of emergency. Unless, of course, you judge such action needless in your wisdom, Lord." That last part, once again, with a deep bow and flourish, after the custom of the snowless lands across the sea from which he hails.

Hall: Dragonfen

Elemental
2012-06-17, 08:03 PM
Hmm... If I may interrupt my Lord... I do remember hearing a story once when I was a child about a White King. Perhaps we should ask the bards, the storytellers and the elderly if they know of anything?
And as for the madman in the village... He may be dangerous, so it would perhaps be for the best if I travel there with Iban? The villagers already know me and I have spoken with them already, and if he turns violent, you might need help.
Madness often comes with strength.

------------------

OOC: How much honour are we getting for that quest? I don't believe you've said...

Also, wouldn't mind having a Horse... We've got enough skirmishers around here as it is.

Sorcery:
Resistance:

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-17, 08:53 PM
"You both may go to fetch the madman. Haakon take Thundertail she is a fast horse and she has served be well back when I personaly rode into battle. Now I shall not have much need of her and you can probably make good use of her. Take care of her, try not to get her killed. Bring honor to your benevolent warlord."
Servents show Haakon to the stables where a strong, old, grey horse is. They saddle her and give her to you with much bowing.

You get 1 honor for the quest. I give Haakon the horse.

Worlok - Iban Vault
Treasury:1 Horse,1 Rune Stone,1 Bow and Arrows, 7 Wealth

Elemental
2012-06-17, 09:07 PM
Thank you my Lord.
Haakon bowed and headed to the stable where he received the horse.
He set out for the village, to return soon with the madman.

------------------

Excellent. I have a horse. Now to switch default tactic...

Equipment: Iron Spear, Bow and Arrows, Drab Cloak, Horse

Sorcery:
Resistance:

Honour:4

Default Tactic: Flank

Vitruviansquid
2012-06-18, 07:37 AM
Turn 2: The Barrow of the Ancient King

As the winter goes on, the cold becomes more and more savage, and so do the men. In part, the poor autumn harvest, like many poor harvests in the past, drove many farmers to look covetously toward their neighbors' granaries. Yet, there is also a distinct sense of restlessness in the air. The great and humble alike felt danger coming from just below the horizon and could not figure out exactly why. Tales of strange and apocalyptic omens multiply, often focused like the hanged man's ramblings on Ceathgil Cairn and the ancient mound next to it.

As Lords of the land, it is you and your warriors who must find out what is going on at Ceathgil Cairn. To do so requires entering the mound near the Cairn.

Quest 1: The White King's Tomb

Objectives: Your investigation of the omens brings you to the mound by Ceathgil Cairns. Ideally you would find a few decayed bodies, the corpses of honored heroes from ages past, upon entering the mound, see that nothing is out of place, seal up the tomb again, and leave it in peace (perhaps not before taking some ancient valuables back to your Hall). But, if any of the ominous stories you've been hearing about are true, that is not likely to be the case.

Battle Difficulty: 3

Max Honor Loss/Gain: -3/2

Max Booty: 5

Conditions: None

Quest 2: The Watchers at the Mound

Objectives: While the focus of the omens are on the mound or Cairn, there are similarly many rumors of strange men and monsters roaming the area. Among these are a rumor that Cirnugal the Fairblooded, the legendary druid of old, has escaped death's realm and come to wander Ceathgil. As well, there are reports that a band of foreign holy warriors of the New Faith have come to establish a temple on top of the famous mound.

Battle Difficulty: 2

Max Honor Loss/Gain: -2/+2

Max Booty: 2

Conditions: None.

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-18, 08:51 AM
"Good loyal warriors I want you to investigate The Barrow of the Ancient King because I need you to you will be famous among the peasantry and be regaurded as a hero for your heroic adventures there. I also want some of you to deal with some alleged 'monsters' roaming the area! Because of the trust I have in you I shall let you chose how to deal with these problems."

Elemental
2012-06-19, 04:50 AM
Very well my Lord. I shall ride against those that roam the land and seek to destabilise your rule.
Haakon rode out on Thundertail to do battle with this Druid and the foreigners if need be. Perhaps the holy warriors can be parleyed with? But still, establishing a temple over a burial site would have to be discouraged, lest those of the old faith turn violent.

------------------

A horse is kind of useless in the confined area of a barrow...
But if you want me on the other quest, then I'll change my decision.

Also, you should probably remember to hand out greater and lesser honours during the next court phase...

Equipment: Iron Spear, Bow and Arrows, Drab Cloak, Horse (Thundertail)

Sorcery:
Resistance:

Honour:4

Default Tactic: Flank