PDA

View Full Version : Template that grants land speed?

Madara
2012-06-08, 08:49 PM
I always thought it'd be really cool to turn this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/kraken.htm) into my skeleton pet. The question is, how do I give it a land speed? Or a Fly speed(That'd be even cooler). I can't really think of any templates that grant a land speed. There are plenty that increase existing movement modes, but few that add new ones...

Bloodgruve
2012-06-08, 08:59 PM
Well, it doesn't really state it but I think the Kraken is a giant octopus type creature. If you wanted to make it into a skeleton pet you'd prolly have a giant beak and that's about it. You could just cast Fly or somehow Overland Flight on the beak to ride it I guess. Persistent Spell gives fly a 24 hour duration but its effectively level 9, there's gotta be a way to make Fly permanent too. I am sorry this is not real helpful though..

Blood~

Venusaur
2012-06-08, 09:05 PM
Unseelie Fey can give wings

Waker
2012-06-08, 09:06 PM
Granting a Kraken a fly speed can be done via templates such as Air Element Creature (MotP) or Wendigo template (FF) but getting the requires skeletal system to become a skeleton isn't something that I know how to do.

Zombulian
2012-06-09, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't a skeletal Kraken be sorta useless? Considering it's an invertebrate?

Zombulian
2012-06-09, 12:08 PM
Btw I think it was sandstorm that had this, but there was some sort of undead squid/octopus desert thing in that. It had a land speed.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-09, 12:40 PM
Btw I think it was sandstorm that had this, but there was some sort of undead squid/octopus desert thing in that. It had a land speed.

The Crawling Apocalypse (Sandstorm, page 143).

They're technically mummified creatures. It's not known if they're same creature, but considering that they're the same size category and it references 'monstrosities of the deep', it's probably safe to assume that they're the same base creature.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-09, 12:48 PM
Unseelie Fey can give wings
Not to a skeleton, it can't.

Madara
2012-06-09, 01:35 PM
Don't worry about a skeletal system, I'll just make it some other undead then. But the point is, how do I give it a land speed?

Slipperychicken
2012-06-09, 02:11 PM
Dragonborn with Wings aspect grants a Fly speed of 30ft. It looks like that can be applied to a Kraken.

Casting Fins to Feet (Stormwrack) gives it a Land speed of 40ft for hours/level (Extend it, or make an item of it), but also turns its tentacles into "humanoid legs and feet", but which can't be used as tentacle attacks. RAW, it looks like the Kraken keeps its Arms and Bite attacks though, and walks on two feet for the duration. It's also hilarious.

Overland Flight (hours per level) makes it fly, and is on the SRD.

Also, since a skeletal Kraken probably wouldn't be much more than a beak, you'd probably want it to be a Zombie instead. You already know that.

Zombulian
2012-06-09, 02:23 PM
Well I'm AFB right now, but one thing you may want to look at is the Amphibious template. I don't remember exactly what it does, but it sounds right eh?

Edit: it's in Stormwrack btw

Slipperychicken
2012-06-09, 02:42 PM
Well I'm AFB right now, but one thing you may want to look at is the Amphibious template. I don't remember exactly what it does, but it sounds right eh?

Edit: it's in Stormwrack btw

You would think it's right, but bizarrely enough, it only gives a swim speed equal to half normal land speed, but not the other way around :smallconfused: Plus, it can only be applied to Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid, while Kraken is a Magical Beast.

I find it annoying that there are countless ways for a land-based creature to get along underwater, but very few for a water-based creature to get along on land. Maybe you could houserule a "Walk" skill, which functions like Swim, but is only necessary for creatures which lack a land speed.

doko239
2012-06-09, 03:56 PM
Juju Zombie grants a climb speed equal to half your base speed; I'd judge that you could translate that into movement speed on land.

Edit: Gelatinous Creature gives a land speed of 20' with no LA.

Venusaur
2012-06-10, 07:01 AM
Not to a skeleton, it can't.

I am assuming it had the template before it was dead.

Madara
2012-06-10, 09:24 AM
Juju Zombie grants a climb speed equal to half your base speed; I'd judge that you could translate that into movement speed on land.

Edit: Gelatinous Creature gives a land speed of 20' with no LA.

Awesome! Book?

I am assuming it had the template before it was dead.

proper assumption. Actually my plan is to PaO a skeleton into a skeleton(Dead body) of a X Template Kraken. I could do some wonderful template stacking... :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2012-06-10, 09:37 AM
Actually my plan is to PaO a skeleton into a skeleton(Dead body) of a X Template Kraken. I could do some wonderful template stacking... :smallbiggrin:

This spell functions like polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another.
This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature.
You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype.
You inherit the restriction through the spell chain. You cannot every use a Polymorph family spell to adopt a form with a template.

JeminiZero
2012-06-10, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure if PaO (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) can do that. It states that it works like Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm), which works like Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm), which states that that it cannot assume a form with a template.

Edit: Swordsaged by Curmudgeon!

But I digress: Flight speed from templates is easy. Half-Dragon, Half-Celestial, Half-Fiend, Winged Template [SS].

Alternatively, just buy and add a Graft. I don't think anything in the rules prevents (some of) them from being added to undead creatures.

Also Phantom Steed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/phantomSteed.htm) states that it can bear another rider regardless of weight. Have your colossal Kraken ride around on a (comparatively) tiny horse!

Madara
2012-06-10, 12:50 PM
Also Phantom Steed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/phantomSteed.htm) states that it can bear another rider regardless of weight. Have your colossal Kraken ride around on a (comparatively) tiny horse!

That's quite frustrating...
K's handbook apparently didn't mention that :smallsigh:
But Phantom Steed sounds hilarious :smallbiggrin: