PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Fort save for Injury+Gestalt

hyzigov
2012-06-08, 10:21 PM
So, I'm playing in a game soon, and the DM is using Gestalt and Injury rules from Unearthed Arcana. The setting is far future, and there are multiple worlds involved, many alien races. We're going to be using 3.5 classes, but have access to d20 future gear, including cybernetics. The GM has put his foot down on Mechs, but otherwise its all free game. He's similarly open on 3rd party books.

I'm wanting to play the Tank type, so I'm looking to max the crap out of my Fort save. I usually play caster types, so if I can get casting also, that'd be nice.

Right now i'm thinking a Paladin /Totemist. Possibly Marshal? Not certain. What is the highest possible Fort save a person could possibly get?

Glimbur
2012-06-09, 07:08 AM
High Con and a good Fort save class are a decent start. If you don't mind feeling a little dirty, you can take a new good Fort class every level. That will fill one side of your Gestalt, but you can probably swing full BAB also and that's an ok start. Fill the other side with a spellcaster and you're in the business of giving monsters the business.

Paladin for Cha to saves is not a bad idea either... one path to Real Ultimate Power is to get one stat high and use it for everything. Cha is pretty good for this purpose. I'm not familiar with all of your sources, but check the X stat to Y (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) thread.

As usual, spell casting is like cheating. You can craft save boosters for cheaper than you buy them, there are mid to high level spells that make you immune to some effects of failed fort saves (at low levels Delay Poison is better than you think, read the Heal skill). You can eventually get Superior Resistance (Spell Compendium) which is better than any non-epic save booster. There are also the tricks with not being hit or targeted in the first place (mirror image, illusions, invisibility, summons...) but that doesn't seem to be your goal.

kharmakazy
2012-06-09, 07:14 AM
The mind over body maneuver from TOB lets you use a concentration check in place of a Fort save. You can pick that up with a dip or an item.

Fouredged Sword
2012-06-09, 07:40 AM
Fort save options

Cybernetic con boost - +3
Con boosting magic item - +3
Cloak of resistance - +5
Great Fortitude - +3
Con 22 - +6 (be a mongeralfolk dragonborn)
Barbarian 20st level - +12
Stat increases to con - +2

34 fort save at level 20 straight barbarian, 36 when in rage.

Dip warblade for a level and you are looking at getting to replace concentration in place of fort save once per attacking something.

Get a spellcasters vest (I think that is what it is called, +20 to a concentration check 3/day)

Concentration ranks - 23
Con modifier - 8
Vest - 20
Skill boosting item - 12

3/day you get a fort save of 63, and multiple times per day you get a fort save of 43.

Good enough?

So to hurt a straight barbarian it will take 95 damage minimum.

To hurt the super concentration check it will take 240 damage minimum.

Both checks have a possible extra save vs damage of +100 /-0 damage.