PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a Dragoon (Handbook style). What can you wizards of the web pull off?

Arracor
2012-06-08, 11:57 PM
Consider this an optimization challenge, GitP posters. Character in my 3.5e is rolling a Dragoon, from FFd20. Modified, of course, to fit the system better.

http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/dragoon.html

The changes are as follows. Obviously the starting HP thing is changed, it's a regular d10 instead of the insane 25+Con they have there. Class skills are the same, except Acrobatics is Balance/Tumble and Athletics is Jump/Swim. Since Limit Break's not a thing, both become 1/day abilities. Lancet at 8th and Falling Meteor at 12th.

Choosing the class has some strings attached. In my campaign world, the Dragoons are a very elite and exclusive force that only allow dragonblooded. All Dragoons are Draconic (my campaign also has -1LA, so an LA0 race with an LA1 template is considered LA0) and because of the nation they're in most are Elven of some variety. There are also 3 mandatory feats, all from Races of the Dragon: Dragon Wings at 1st, Reinforced Wings at 3rd, Improved Dragon Wings at 6th.

With all that in mind, how would you optimize a Dragoon? Sources allowed include any printed WotC 3.5e book, though -not- the magazines or any unofficial supplements/splatbooks, homebrew, etc.

The main questions with regards to the player is, stick with Dragoon all the way to 20 or dip into something else? What about after 20? What feats, after the mandatories are finished at 6th? What magic items? Etc. (Her race is Wood Elf, so total stat mods after Draconic are +4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Cha)

Eronai_Jantig
2012-06-09, 02:01 AM
I think you're looking for this? http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood:_A_Tale_of_38;_Guide_to_th e_3.5_Dragoon

Arracor
2012-06-09, 05:10 AM
... oh god, this exists? ._.

EDIT: On reflection, that handbook is for creating Dragoon out of normal 3.5e stuff, which is rendered wholly unnecessary because for the most part the Dragoon class linked above does all those things better, and more besides. That guide also uses a lot of psionics, which I can't really be bothered with. >>;