PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Against the Dragons - Spell Advice

facelessminion
2012-06-09, 06:29 AM
Hello there. I have something of a question for the forum at large. I am playing in a gestalt game - yes, I know that it's ridiculous - wherein we are given ample amount of time to prepare for the coming of a rather old, rather angry Blue Dragon. For casters that I have to worry about, I have

E, A level 9 Witch/ Level 9 Druid,
and M, a level 9 Witch.

E is a Hedge-Witch, so there aren't any worries about straight-up healing, per se, as he'll be able to dump spells as a cleric.

Given this, what would be some good spells to prepare for both characters? It should be noted that for witches, I'm locked into the standard spells of the class, but the Druid side is able to use everything from core 3.0 to the ridiculousness of the Spell Compendium.

Quirp
2012-06-09, 09:20 AM
You might want to look at the Drconomicon. It includes many spells that can be used against dragons. One of my favorites is Earthbind. It either negates the flying ability or decreases the fly speed on a successful save.
Solid Fog (PHB) should shut the dragons movement completely down, but Earthbind is of a lower level and therefore more easily quickend.

facelessminion
2012-06-09, 06:41 PM
Why thank you! Would anyone know of any Witchy spells that could be useful?

Slipperychicken
2012-06-09, 08:11 PM
What's M's Witch gestalting with?

facelessminion
2012-06-09, 08:35 PM
Nothing, actually... Due to Shenanigans, they're E's familiar/animal companion. Arcane Heirophant + Improved Familiar can allow for silly things. >.>;;; So yes, this game is bent all to hell, but then we're getting rather aged, scaled up dragons thrown at us too.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-10, 09:27 AM
I just feel the need to say...

Gestalt isn't ridiculous.
Using all of 3E spells from splat books yet not expanding the spell lists of the PF-introduced classes one single bit to account for that? THAT is ridiculous.
/rant

In any case, Spell Compendium has Downdraft, which will knock the dragon down by 50 ft even if it makes the save, and Anti-dragon Aura (has a minorly expensive component) to help against breath attacks. And of course Mass Resist Energy (PF has communal version, but if you get it as a druid or cleric, it's level 3 and just plainly better). SpC also has Fell the Greatest Foe. It's a Pal and Cleric spell, target does +1d6 melee damage per size difference between him and the guy he attacks (so +3d6 for medium fighting gargantuan, for example).
Then there's Wrathstrike, but that one should be banned. Ditto for Shivering Touch from Frostburn, aka "the dragon slayer." PF's Calcific Touch is similar ot Shivering Touch, except it will take several rounds to do the deed if you don't suitable buff its dex damage. Whether or not that limitation makes it balanced is up to you.
Dragons have bad reflex saves in general, iirc... So Dazing Spell feat + any reflex-based damage spell could be good. Add in Persistent Spell (PF version; 3E version should be banned anyway) for one. Favorite spells to use it with are the sphere/orb ones -- Flaming Sphere, Aqueous Orb, Ball Lightning -- latter bolded because you get so many of them. They're the best because instead of just being a one-shot and out, those stick around to continue dazing well into the combat.

deuxhero
2012-06-10, 04:40 PM
3.5 or PF flight rules?

In 3.5 creatures with less than good maneuverability are automatically forced to fly straight, fall (or hover if they have the feat) if hit with one of the various "No save: Half movement" effects (even the petty tanglefoot bag).

facelessminion
2012-06-11, 09:55 AM
I'll admit I'm not sure on the flight rules. Incidentally, I'm trying to look for ways to up my ability to punch past draconic spell resistance, and not able to find any for druid or witch, spell-wise, at level 9, would anyone have an idea there?