PDA

View Full Version : Orcish Elder Cannon (Weapon)

Cipher Stars
2012-06-09, 08:41 AM
Elder Cannon

http://www.scenicreflections.com/files/Orc_Berserker_Wallpaper_ok60c.jpg

Name | Cost | Damage(L) | Critical | Range Increment | Weight1 | Type2 | Proficiency | Weapon Type
Elder Cannon | 5,000g | 4d12 | 17-20, x4 |
70ft | 120lbs | Bludgeoning/Fire | Exotic | Two Handed*
* Requires a strength score of at least 25 to wield properly, otherwise the item is too heavy.

The Elder cannon is always considered large size. There are few of them, and hard to make, so creating a custom sized Elder Cannon costs +5,000 per size difference.
Elder Cannons damage is half fire, and half bludgeoning. It fires hard, semi molten stones that trail about with a stream of fire in its wake.
Special: All Elder Cannons are intimidating. They give a +5 bonus to your Intimidate skill when wielded.

The Elder Cannon has three modes of fire:
Single Shot: As a normal weapon, it fires one blast when triggered.
Cone: A cone like emanation. Deals damage to all in the area, 60ft long to 30ft wide. Rather then bludgeoning, this does slashing.
Line: A pure beam, a line of fire. Rather then bludgeoning, this does piercing. The line itself is 120ft. It knocks back targets by 10ft if they take damage, and the weapon flies out of your hands, moving with a 60ft fly speed in as straight a line as it can. If you have a firm grip on the weapon, you can loosely control it and you gain the fly speed at clumsy maneuverability. There is no way to safely land the weapon built in however, and in a crash should the weapon sustain damage enough to break it, it explodes in a 60ft burst dealing 15d12 fire and pressure damage to all in the area.
A strength check DC 30 can plant your feet firmly in the ground, assuming there is anything behind you such as a boulder to brace yourself against, and hold the weapon in place as it deals its line of damage.

For an extra 1,000gp, a parachute can be added to the weapon.

The Elder Cannon is a long, heavy, metal tube with fins, handles, a trigger, and one flared end behind the item.
The inside of the cylinder seems to be constantly burning with hellish flames when active, it automatically roars to life when those with hostile intentions are present. Either because the owner intends to use it or enemies are within 250ft.
When inactive, it appears to be a hollow tube with many small spikes inside it at odd ends, each of the spikes are engraved with runes binding elementals of earth and fire. Just passed the center, nearer to the rear, is a ring supported by what looks like four carved fists holding the ring in place. The ring, also lined with runes, opens a gate to a wild plane of absolute chaos that when opened causes the chaotic force to violently explode out of the gate, picking up power from the elemental spikes inside.

More Dakka:
For every 1,000 gold you spend after the initial price, increasing by +500gp every time thereafter, you can fire a second attack rapidly after the last. Each shot uses the same base attack as the first shot had, -1 per shot. These rapid shots all count as one attack should you be allowed more then one a around. Such as a fighter's full BAB at 20th level letting you make four attacks a around.

Extra Dakka:
A Large creature can wield two Elder Cannons at once, one in each arm. The wielder takes a -5 penalty to both, but benefits from two weapon fighting feats. The Large creature can use them both at once.
Extra and More Dakka stack.
Two Elder Cannons with a More Dakka rating of +5, meaning its 5,000gp more then the base price, would fire twelve shots per attack. Six from both.

I had to make something with that picture... So don't expect this to be that wonderful XD It took me barely two minutes.

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-09, 08:15 PM
mind if the Deep Trolls steal and rename it?

LordErebus12
2012-06-09, 09:18 PM
Very OP and totally unwieldable

Kazyan
2012-06-09, 09:27 PM
For that weapon cost and the resources involved to create a critfish build...only in a very high-OP game when you're trying to compete with casters.

It's an Exotic Two-Handed weapon, right?

Cipher Stars
2012-06-09, 09:28 PM
For that weapon cost and the resources involved to create a critfish build...only in a very high-OP game when you're trying to compete with casters.

It's an Exotic Two-Handed weapon, right?

Yes.

And overpowered was rather its intention XD

Edit; use as you will. Thats what I make stuff for. Most of the time. about a third of the time I make something because I want to use it :3

Draken
2012-06-10, 10:41 PM
Eeeh. For its price it is actually very, very weak. As a matter of fact, you are much better off buying a Heavy Bombard for 8000 gp (Stormwrack) and using the remaining money to get the eight hirelings needed to shoot it every round.

That actually also leaves you more than enough money to buy a barge or some other really large vehicle to mount your nice giant siege cannon on, carry your minions and party members around and... Well, you catch my drift. For the cost you gave that thing you can get a better weapon, flunkies and a boat.

Heck the siege weapon also saves you a feat since it doesn't need EWP.

Welknair
2012-06-11, 01:08 AM
Eeeh. For its price it is actually very, very weak. As a matter of fact, you are much better off buying a Heavy Bombard for 8000 gp (Stormwrack) and using the remaining money to get the eight hirelings needed to shoot it every round.

That actually also leaves you more than enough money to buy a barge or some other really large vehicle to mount your nice giant siege cannon on, carry your minions and party members around and... Well, you catch my drift. For the cost you gave that thing you can get a better weapon, flunkies and a boat.

Heck the siege weapon also saves you a feat since it doesn't need EWP.

Keep in mind that Heroes of Battle also provided rules for enchanting siege weaponry. You can make auto-reloading engines that have enhancement bonuses. Very handy things to have around.

Admiral Squish
2012-06-11, 08:38 AM
How does it work? I'd love to hear the mechanics. A boud elemental? a tiny portal to the plane of fire? Do you reload it with small boulders, or does tha ammo just form inside it?

Personally? I'd make it a medium two-handed ranged weapon that requires X strength to be used properly. Definitely reduce the price to something approaching normal, the investment of EWP seems like plenty for me. Have it reloadable with small-sized boulders (akin to giant rock-throwing boulders) as a full-round action, either on the shooter's part on the part of an adjacent assistant. So it's sorta halfway between personal weapon and siege weapon.

Draken
2012-06-11, 01:31 PM
Keep in mind that Heroes of Battle also provided rules for enchanting siege weaponry. You can make auto-reloading engines that have enhancement bonuses. Very handy things to have around.

But then you will have to sacrifice your boat, unless you have more gold lying around.

Welknair
2012-06-11, 01:34 PM
But then you will have to sacrifice your boat, unless you have more gold lying around.

Step 1: Buy a 10-foot ladder.
Step 2: Cut rungs off of ladder, resulting in two 10-foot poles.
Step 3: Sell poles back.
Step 4: Buy more ladders.
Step 5: Repeat steps 1-4 until you can buy your boat.
Profit.

Or you could try to have your team's Druid Animal Empathy a whale.

GFawkes
2012-06-11, 04:44 PM
I am really sorry about this, but I have to say it.

Ya needz moar dakka!

Cipher Stars
2012-06-11, 06:49 PM
I am really sorry about this, but I have to say it.

Ya needz moar dakka!

Better ?

Welknair
2012-06-11, 07:09 PM
Better?

Any Elder Cannon with Moar Dakka would be an Orkish Elder Cannon. Big difference! :smalltongue:

Still, imagining a level 20 Full BAB character with one of these puppies with something like Moar Dakka 10 would be ridiculous. 40 attacks/round. Admittedly, the vast majority are like to fail. But odds alone say you'll get multiple crits in there. Something like Fiery Burst on this thing would be terrifying.

Perhaps you ought to cap how much Moar Dakka can be added? Or have an increasing cost?

Cipher Stars
2012-06-11, 07:46 PM
Perhaps you ought to cap how much Moar Dakka can be added? Or have an increasing cost?

I thought about it at the time. Passed it over. But since you mentioned it I guess my lazy self is outvoted.

Welknair
2012-06-11, 08:18 PM
Random idea: Half-Giant Fighter (Or anything with Powerful Build), using Maxed Moar Dakka as well as Extra Dakka, plus having the Rapid Fire feat. ALL the attacks!

*This guy walks into a bar*
*Wins initiative*
*There is no bar*

Blackhawk748
2013-07-18, 09:31 PM
Im making a Half Ogre, whose mother was an orc so hes green, who is going to wield this and i shall scream "DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA" as i shoot.

and the world shall tremble

praetor156
2013-07-19, 07:30 PM
sounds like a loota from 40k needz moar dakka