PDA

View Full Version : A fun side adventure

Chookster
2012-06-09, 09:38 AM
I made a nice little side quest that my players really enjoyed so I thought I'd share it with you all :)

Basically as the players approached a small village they started to hear narration of their actions, a booming, hammy voice hell bent on making the village into a story.

The villagers have names like "Bar Keep" "Tavern Wench" (the wenches are an old and respected line) and "Mentor Figure"

Of course the story centers around the agonists, evil aunt Anne, and her stepson, Pro, along with his friends Side Kick and love interest.

The narrator is a hammy and ridiculous character, alternatively arguing and harassing the players and insisting on narrating everything they do.

Of course eventually they find him and beat the crap out of him but until then he tries constantly tog et them to be the wacky supporting characters for Pro Tagonist and his friends as they hunt down the evil Anne Tagonist.

Its a fun sidequest like i said, very cathartic for the players and a chance to play some old fashioned genre tropes ridiculously straight.

sol_kanar
2012-06-09, 10:13 AM
It sounds fun! But what is the explanation behind the Narrator? O_o Is he some sort of epic-level Bard gone crazy?

Chookster
2012-06-09, 07:57 PM
You got it in one actually :)

Mind you for lower level adventures its just as easy to have him as an insane fello who found a magic artifact that aloows him to do what he does.

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-06-09, 08:05 PM
This is a genius idea. Consider it stolen :smallbiggrin:

Rorrik
2012-06-09, 11:46 PM
I'm especially fond of the Tagonist family.:smallbiggrin:

Now I think about it, I would like to have a bard NPC in a future campaign that appears and insists on following the adventurers around, recording their actions. Like in Dragon Heart. I think they'd get tired of it quickly.

Chookster
2012-06-10, 12:41 AM
I use bards a great deal in my campaigns, there was already a group of assassin's who were a rock band

@Gnomish Wanderer: You're welcome to it, thanks!

Griffith!
2012-06-10, 12:51 AM
Well, I just stole both ideas - omnipotent crazy bard, and traveling rock band/ assassins. That'll provide some nice levity for my pcs between hamming it up as horribly star-crossed lovers, an avenging elf and an exiled dwarven prince. Maybe there will be some role-playig that isn't borrowed directly from daytime television. Ten bucks says these drama queens can turn your scenario into a tragedy, though.

They always do.

Chookster
2012-06-11, 07:16 AM
No bet, in my experience players get "Change genre" as a spell-like ability.