PDA

View Full Version : Bardblade, levels 5-9

sol_kanar
2012-06-09, 10:30 AM
Hey!

I am going to play a small campaign, from level 5 to level 9, and I decided to play a Bard/Warblade (also known as Bardblade). The construction rules are:

- PBS 28
- No flaws
- No Dragonfire Inspiration
- No Eberron rules to take Song of the Heart
- Standard WBL (9000 GP at level 5)

I have not completed my equipment yet, but for the moment I went for a Human Bard 4/Warblade 1 (in this order), using Martial Study to qualify for Song of the White Raven at level 1, with the extra Human feat.

My feats are thus:
Human - Martial Study
1st - Song of the White Raven
3rd - Song of the Heart

My doubts start at this point. What feat should I take at 6th level? Snowflake Wardance is not really interesting, since my Charisma is only 14, and I was kinda planning on using a two-handed weapon. Knowledge Devotion might be ok, but since I don't have that many skill points to use in Knowledge, most of the time I will get just a +1 to hit and damage; also, it will not scale well, since I am going to play only until 9th level.

So, do you have any advice on feats and equipment?

Here are my partial statistics:

Bard 4/Warblade 1
------------------

Progression: Bard 4/Warblade 1

Str 16 = 15 +1 (4th level)
Dex 14
Con 16 = 14 +2 (item)
Int 12
Wis 8
Cha 14

Init: +2 = +2 (Dex)
Hp: 38 = 1d6 (bard, max) +3d6 (bard) +1d12 (warblade) +15 (Con)

Defense
-------
AC: = 10 (base) +2 (Dex) +4 (armor)
Saves
- Fortitude +6 = +1 (bard) +2 (warblade) +3 (Con)
- Reflex +7 = +4 (bard) +2 (Dex) +1 (Int, applied through warblade's battle clarity)
- Will +3 = +4 (bard) -1 (Wis)

Attack
------
Bab: +4 = +3 (bard) +1 (warblade)

Broadsword
- attack +10 = +4 (base) +3 (Str) +1 (weapon) +2 (inspire-courage)
- damage 2d6+6 = +4 (Str) +2 (inspire-courage)

Special Abilities
-----------------
Bardic knowledge - Know stuff +7 = +4 (bard) +1 (Int) +2 (synergy-knowledge-history)
Countersong - useless
Fascinate - Fascinates 2 creatures (1 + 1 for 4th level), Will save == Perform check, -4 to Listen/Spot/Search
Inspire courage - Morale bonus +1 (to-hit/damage), becomes +2 with song of the heart and +3 with inspirational boost
Inspire competence - Competence bonus +2 to skill check

Battle clarity - +Int to Reflex save

Skills
------
Totals
- 8 = 6 (bard) +1 (human) +1 (Int) -> 8x7
- 6 = 4 (warblade) +1 (human) +1 (Int)

*Bluff +9 = 7 (bard) +2 (Cha)
*Concentration +11 = 7 (bard) +1 (warblade) +3 (Con)
*Diplomacy +14 = 7 (bard) +2 (Cha) +1 (warblade) +2 (synergy-bluff) +2 (synergy-sense-motive)
*Knowledge (history) +9 = 7 (bard) +1 (warblade) +1 (Int)
*Knowledge (nature) +8 = 7 (bard) +1 (Int)
*Perform (poetry) +9 = 7 (bard) +2 (Cha)
*Sense Motive +6 = 7 (bard) -1 (Wis)

*Martial Lore +2 = 1 (warblade) +1 (Int)
*Tumble +5 = 2 (bard) +1 (warblade) +2 (Dex)

Knowledge (arcana) +2 = 1 (bard) +1 (Int)
Knowledge (dungeon) +2 = 1 (bard) +1 (Int)
Knowledge (local) +2 = 1 (bard) +1 (Int)
Knowledge (religion) +2 = 1 (bard) +1 (Int)
Knowledge (the planes) +2 = 1 (bard) +1 (Int)

Survival +1 = +2 (synergy-knowledge-nature) -1 (Wis)

Spells (3/3/1 - DC 12 + level)
------
0(6) - detect magic, ghost sound, guide, know direction, light, message
1(3) - cure light wounds, inspirational boost, silent image
2(2) - alter self, glitterdust

Maneuvers (Known 3, Readied 3, Initiator level 3)
----------
[1/day, taken with martial study feat] - leading the attack
1st - moment of perfect mind
2nd - mountain hammer, wall of blades

Stances (Known 1)
-------
1st - leading the charge

Feats
-----
Human - Martial Study (White Raven maneuver)
1 - Song of the White Raven (use inspire courage as swift action)
3 - Song of the Heart (+1 to inspire courage)
*6 - Knowledge Devotion

Items (9000 GP)
-----
- Talisman of Constitution +2 (4000 GP)
- Weapon +1 (2300 GP)
- Remaining 2700

Thanks in advance for your help! :-)

Keld Denar
2012-06-09, 10:44 AM
You don't need Song of the White Raven really until 6 at the earliest. IC doesn't gain a point till level 8. You could even postpone it to 9 and not miss much. Especially with out Song of the Heart, you don't want to miss out on using Insp Boost and a Badge of Valor, which makes starting a song as a swift action rather impossible.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-09, 11:12 AM
Undersong should be active at all times, so you can use Perform for saves via Diamond Mind.

sol_kanar
2012-06-09, 11:18 AM
You don't need Song of the White Raven really until 6 at the earliest. IC doesn't gain a point till level 8. You could even postpone it to 9 and not miss much. Especially with out Song of the Heart, you don't want to miss out on using Insp Boost and a Badge of Valor, which makes starting a song as a swift action rather impossible.

I have Song of the Heart, I just could not take it as a bonus feat using the obscure Eberron rules. So, in your opinion it would be better to just use Inspirational Boost + Inspire Courage as a standard action? Remember, I will only be playing from level 5 to level 9.

I am not sure I can buy a Badge of Valor, I will have to ask the DM. If I could, I would need to spend a swift action for Inspirational Boost, an immediate action for the Badge and a standard action to begin the Inspire Courage. This would leave me with...no actions? Or a move action?

EDIT:

Undersong should be active at all times, so you can use Perform for saves via Diamond Mind.

Still, Undersong is hard to use, since it only lasts 1 minute/level (and I will be playing from level 5 to level 9). I just invested skill points in Concentration.

Keld Denar
2012-06-09, 11:27 AM
It is everything but your first move action, yes. It's worth it. The only minor thing, it is your neck slot. If you use the MIC rules for adding basic stats to existing items, however, you can pull it off with no excessive markup.

It is worth it. We're talking the difference between +4 with the full power up suite vs +2 without. That's double the potency for your whole team. Plus, you usually can't full attack in the first round of combat anyway.

sol_kanar
2012-06-10, 11:26 AM
It is everything but your first move action, yes. It's worth it. The only minor thing, it is your neck slot. If you use the MIC rules for adding basic stats to existing items, however, you can pull it off with no excessive markup.

It is worth it. We're talking the difference between +4 with the full power up suite vs +2 without. That's double the potency for your whole team. Plus, you usually can't full attack in the first round of combat anyway.

I see. So, if I wait to get Song of the White Raven, I no longer need the Martial Study to early qualify for it. In your opinion, what would then be my bests choice for feats at 1st and 6th level? At 3rd level, I think that Song of the Heart is a must.