PDA

View Full Version : Help with an Enigmatic Minion [3.P]

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-09, 11:10 AM
I'm DMing a game in my homebrew setting in which my players are gathering the Rod of Seven Parts (they just got the first segment last session). I want to include an enigmatic minion (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnigmaticMinion) in the story. This guy is supposed to show up, help them at times and work against them at other times.
I don't know anything about him yet; I don't even know what he truly wants. I don't want him to be a lot more powerful than them, but he needs to be able to survive if they attack him. I'm thinking maybe 2 levels higher than average party level, and always getting away if needed. Melee presence would be good, because it would help stablish badass creed for the party.
The party is around level 7, we have an elf Rogue/Swashbuckler (using CW's Swashbuckler and Daring Outlaw; dual wields, good on duels because of Offensive Defense), a half-drow Fighter/Swashbuckler/Battle Dancer/Iaijutsu Master (using Quicksilver Strike and a homebrew Quick Sheath feat to use iaijutsu on attacks of opportunity), a human Inquisitor (sword and board) and a catfolk Factotum/Rogue/Marshall (skillmonkey extraordinaire).
Any ideas on which class I should use for this guy? I thought maybe Binder, but I wanted him to have iconic abilities, and with Binder he'd have a different skillset each time.

Waker
2012-06-09, 12:00 PM
Well, some classes that have that inherent enigmatic...ness with a dash of melee abilities are: Magus (Black Blade archetype to up the mystery factor) and Warlock (3.5). Oracle or Witch can be made into decent combatants with the right choice of spells and PrCs.

You could go old school and make an npc that uses the Ghostwalker prc from Sword and Fist.