PDA

View Full Version : Teen Titans GO! new series 2013

slayerx
2012-06-09, 11:15 AM
Cartoon Network has announced that the Teen Titans are coming back in a new animated series slated for 2013

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/titansgo/t-01.jpg
http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2012/06/08/cartoon-network-reveals-new-teen-titans-go-animated-series-for-2013/

Granted don't really care much for the change in the art direction, and I do wonder if they will keep the more serious aspects of the series... but still even the comedy and more light hearted aspects of the show were enjoyable and I have been enjoying the Teen Titans shorts, so it will atleast be a fun series even if its not as great as the original.

Now if we could just get Super Best Friends Forever a full tv show =p

blackspeeker
2012-06-09, 12:19 PM
Now if we could just get Super Best Friends Forever a full tv show =p

This is what I wanted to say when I heard he news.

Mystic Muse
2012-06-09, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to watch this. The art just kills it for me.

darkblade
2012-06-09, 02:55 PM
I don't understand why we even need this. We already have Super Best Friends forever doing silly superhero humour and Young Justice doing the drama and action. The original Teen Titans cartoon still lives in spirit at least.

TSGames
2012-06-09, 02:56 PM

I don't think that picture is the art from the entire show... They had chibi animations throughout the last series; not sure why they would suddenly make the whole show chibi.

[EDIT]
Eating my own words....

Just found this
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/06/08/dc-nation-teen-titans-go-full-series-cartoon-network/

Needless to say, with animation that bad it will be nigh-unwatchable. It's ok for a few seconds an episode, but not an entire show...
[EDIT 2]
Turns out these videos are from "DC Nation (http://dcnation.kidswb.com/video/DC-Nation-Previews/New-Teen-Titans---Blackfires-Babysitter/7de03864-a3a9-4102-af6a-5141af2444bf)". A program which is already airing and is distinct from the 2013 Teen Titans Go! launch. I'm not sure that it will be the animation style for the new series, in fact, it probably won't. The chibi animation style does make sense for a short. I'm still holding out hope that it will not be the animation style for the series.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-09, 03:14 PM
I don't understand why we even need this. We already have Super Best Friends forever doing silly superhero humour and Young Justice doing the drama and action. The original Teen Titans cartoon still lives in spirit at least.

SBFF has all of five minutes of programming to its name. Same as all the DC Nation shorts, there aren't that many of them. But if the concept is successful there's no reason not to look at expanding to a full program.

I think I speak for everyone (or at least everypony) in that we'd rather have a full SBFF program... but I personally will gladly accept anything being spun out of the shorts to full programming as setting a good precedent. Teen Titans probably got tapped because its established on CN, and they know their network draws the boys demographic.

Come to think of it two 15 minute type programs would be wonderful of the Titans and one of SBFF. Just to emphasize Tara Strong's range.

slayerx
2012-06-09, 03:35 PM
Come to think of it two 15 minute type programs would be wonderful of the Titans and one of SBFF. Just to emphasize Tara Strong's range.

Ya if they don't bring back the serious episodes, then i think it might be better for them to go with two 11 minute episodes kind of set up... 22 minutes is often too long for a comedy, 11 minutes is a lot tighter and allows it to get to the point quicker. Also like the idea of mixing in SBFF while they're at it

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-09, 03:57 PM
Ya if they don't bring back the serious episodes, then i think it might be better for them to go with two 11 minute episodes kind of set up... 22 minutes is often too long for a comedy, 11 minutes is a lot tighter and allows it to get to the point quicker. Also like the idea of mixing in SBFF while they're at it

Well one can be comedic in that format (ponies slice-of-life episode for example) but yes if you are going for an outright gag series I have to feel shorter is generally better. And the half-length format is something they've already had some success with.

Dr.Epic
2012-06-09, 04:14 PM
Cartoon Network has announced that the Teen Titans are coming back in a new animated series slated for 2013

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2012/06/08/cartoon-network-reveals-new-teen-titans-go-animated-series-for-2013/

:smalleek:

AH! What the heck happened here! The art style! What the what!?!? This is only slightly better than the art from Mad.

lord_khaine
2012-06-09, 04:19 PM
Arrg, that art is a crime against nature and the earlier serie :smallannoyed:

Scowling Dragon
2012-06-09, 04:25 PM

My words exactly.
WHAT?

Ravens_cry
2012-06-09, 04:25 PM
Well, I did like the sillier episodes of Teen Titans as much as the darker episodes, and whoo boy could that show get dark.
Just because no blood was shown doesn't mean it couldn't be disturbing.

thubby
2012-06-09, 04:30 PM
if that's the art direction, i will lobotomize myself before watching it.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-09, 04:49 PM
I'm rather suprised at the level of hate that's boiling up. I'm not seeing much difference from the NEW teen titans shorts and I've had exactly zero problems with those.

Maybe wait until you see an actual clip produced yes?

Obviously this isn't the previous series, but if you wanna play that I'm sure I could drag some old complaining about THAT show's terrible anime-bastardization of Western art styles from the dark reaches of the net.

TSGames
2012-06-09, 04:51 PM
I'm rather suprised at the level of hate that's boiling up. I'm not seeing much difference from the NEW teen titans shorts and I've had exactly zero problems with those.

Obviously this isn't the previous series, but if you wanna play that I'm sure I could drag some old complaining about THAT show's terrible anime-bastardization of Western art styles from the dark reaches of the net.
Pseudo-Chibi animation is not suitable for an entire show.

Mystic Muse
2012-06-09, 04:56 PM

I don't hate this direction, or this art. I just don't like it, and me not liking the way something looks kinda detracts from my enjoyment of it for whatever reason. I could come up with examples, but they'd be mostly irrelevant.

Yeah, I'll wait until I see an actual clip produced before passing actual judgement, and I won't be able to watch the show until it's out on DVD anyway, I'm mostly just saying I don't like that art.

Aotrs Commander
2012-06-09, 05:01 PM
I, for one, do not have a problem with the art style, nor would I be concerned with a more comedic take... Marvel's Superhero Squad was highly amusing, and despite the chibi art-style, still managed very acceptable actions sequences. With competant direction and some flair, you can pull wonders out of almost any style... *cough*webcomicnotamillionmilesfromthisforum*cough *

Elrik
2012-06-09, 05:07 PM
Would've preferred Shade the Changing Man, Plastic Man, or Doom Patrol over this, and I'm probably one of the few who doesn't find Lauren Faust's shorts to be watchable either.

Well, I did like the sillier episodes of Teen Titans as much as the darker episodes, and whoo boy could that show get dark.
Just because no blood was shown doesn't mean it couldn't be disturbing.

Agreed, still love the episodes centered around Raven and Mother Mae Eye.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-09, 05:08 PM
Speaking of the Titan shorts... Mad Mod with an evil TARDIS turning back time. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG6frPQBH38) That is all.

Pseudo-Chibi animation is not suitable for an entire show.

I'd say the old version was already pretty Pseudo-Chibi to start with full time. Its certainly far more chibified then western animation, or anime. Given that they are outright going for comedy I just am not bothered.

Actually the poster promises something closer to realistic styles then say the PPG school of design I already know is more then suitable for a full format.

Lamech
2012-06-09, 05:15 PM
So if that little image is the full time art style you can count me out. Yes the occasional Chibi was cool, but not full time.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-09, 08:16 PM
I liked the Teen Titans GO!, but it was still a ridiculously kiddified stereotyped shadow of a far cry from the actual Teen Titans comics.

I'll never forgive them for making Deathstroke the Terminator look like a total idiot. What kind of evil mastermind villain (which Deathstroke isn't, but they needed a main villain obviously) uses his first name as their alias/persona? *face palm*

Though I really loved Doctor Light (even if Identity Crisis really put a dark lampshade on things...).

Grif
2012-06-09, 08:20 PM
As it is, I'm just going to be cautiously optimistic.

On one hand, it's a Teen Titan series.

On the other, that art.

TSGames
2012-06-09, 10:45 PM
I'd say the old version was already pretty Pseudo-Chibi to start with full time. Its certainly far more chibified then western animation, or anime. Given that they are outright going for comedy I just am not bothered.

No. The original consistently incorporated pseudo-chibi animation, but not in every episode and rarely for more than a minute or two(with the notable exception of one episode).

Lateral
2012-06-09, 11:00 PM
Speaking of the Titan shorts... Mad Mod with an evil TARDIS turning back time. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG6frPQBH38) That is all.

Yeah, there's... something about that line "If he reaches the 60's, he'll be unstoppable!" I can't stop laughing.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2012-06-09, 11:26 PM

And I, a laid-back Transformers fan, started to laugh about here.

If the writing is still good most of you will grow accustomed to the art, and perhaps even like it. It is the way of such things. Now, I have to go. My Animated Lugnut is a shelf too close to my DOTM Megatron.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-10, 01:28 AM
No. The original consistently incorporated pseudo-chibi animation, but not in every episode and rarely for more than a minute or two(with the notable exception of one episode).

That wasn't the point I was getting at. The entire show normal style (when not kicking the SD knob to 11) is much closer to a chibli SD style then either other Western Animation or normal anime styles. Teen Titans series has always had rather silly art.

And I remember clearly back in the day people complaining about the original's normal art style as some kind of bastardization of western animation. Certainly only at best a poor man's DCAU in every way.

So to me complaining about the art from this angle is well... rather arbitrary and ironic. Not to mention I suspect ramming the nostalgia goggles up the eye sockets. With a helping of "changed it now its sucks" knee-jerking.

Ravens_cry
2012-06-10, 04:12 AM
While not as many heads tall as, say, Bishonen, or more mature superheroes, I wouldn't call the original, except in segues, anywhere close to two heads tall SD.

TSGames
2012-06-10, 08:34 AM
And I remember clearly back in the day people complaining about the original's normal art style as some kind of bastardization of western animation. Certainly only at best a poor man's DCAU in every way.

So to me complaining about the art from this angle is well... rather arbitrary and ironic. Not to mention I suspect ramming the nostalgia goggles up the eye sockets. With a helping of "changed it now its sucks" knee-jerking.

I, too, remember many people complaining that the show had a bastardized art style that wasn't western or Japanese enough, but that it was "ripping off" one or the other or both unsuccessfully.

That is an entirely different argument than what people have been saying in this thread. People are not disliking the art because it they feel it is a poorer version of already existing art styles, rather, they are disliking it because the chosen art stye is inadequate and unsatisfactory on its own merit.

Complaining about art will always be somewhat arbitrary, but there's very little irony to be had in this discussion. The art style chosen may be OK for a comedy short, and it may be OK for a comedy show aimed at kids under age 10(that is to say that kids that young may tolerate or even enjoy the art), but it is unacceptable to most demographics, especially those older ones who enjoyed the original show so much. At best this art change represents a fundamental shift in the target age group for the show, at worst it means the new show will be half-assed, subpar, and a blight upon the memory of the original show. But who cares, it has a Dr. Who reference...

The Librarian
2012-06-10, 10:38 AM

Call me pessimistic, but...
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/15711322.jpg

I really hope if they do make this, they don't mess the show formula as much as they've messed up the art style.

WoodStock_PV
2012-06-10, 12:51 PM
Why? Why they changed the artstyle? If they are bringing the show back why not call the old artists back? Why not repeat the formula that made the show great back then? They're making a bad move here..

Ravens_cry
2012-06-10, 03:21 PM
Why? Why they changed the artstyle? If they are bringing the show back why not call the old artists back? Why not repeat the formula that made the show great back then? They're making a bad move here..
Well, it's not exactly bringing the show back. Instead, it seems to be focusing more on the goofier, comedy aspect rather than superhero heroics.

Devonix
2012-06-10, 04:08 PM
People complained about the art style for Transformers Animated. And it turned out to be one of the best most mature Transformers series done

Scowling Dragon
2012-06-10, 04:49 PM
Transformers looked different, simplified but fine.

This just looks ugly. Especially beast-boy. Whats up with his chin?

Mando Knight
2012-06-11, 11:21 PM
And I, a laid-back Transformers fan, started to laugh about here.

If the writing is still good most of you will grow accustomed to the art, and perhaps even like it. It is the way of such things. Now, I have to go. My Animated Lugnut is a shelf too close to my DOTM Megatron.

Indeed. But I'll leave this here in case of RUINED (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_FOREVER)FOREVER. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/RuinedFOREVER) :smalltongue:

DigoDragon
2012-06-12, 06:58 AM
I'd like to hope its not ALL comedy. One of my favorite details of the original Teen Titans writing was how well the comedy and serious points were paced and blended together.
I'd watch this out of curiosity just to see what writing style they are going with.

Ravens_cry
2012-06-12, 02:28 PM
I'd like to hope its not ALL comedy. One of my favorite details of the original Teen Titans writing was how well the comedy and serious points were paced and blended together.
I'd watch this out of curiosity just to see what writing style they are going with.
Yeah, that was one of the things Teen Titans did well in my opinion.
You had episodes like Fractured as well as Haunted. And I liked them both.
Unfortunately based on the premise as stated, it might not happen.

The Librarian
2012-06-12, 02:54 PM
I really wanna believe out of the good of the human heart, the people trying to reincarnate Teen Titans are going to continue the same old Comedy/Serious Drama formula.

That said they've already lost some trust from me with the Art Style change, and then there's the links Mando Knight has been so kind to share with us. I've seen far too many series that I adored go down the toilet when some new steps in and I absolutely would hate it if it happens here.

On another note we already have some of the Teen Titans characters present in the Young Justice Universe, and I personally already like it that way. (Not Beastboy too terribly but can't win them all)

Aotrs Commander
2012-06-12, 03:01 PM
It may be that this show is going to be the comedy counterpoint to Young Justice's drama, of course.

hobbitkniver
2012-06-13, 11:37 AM

Same. What made them think that was a good idea?

kpenguin
2012-06-17, 05:51 PM
I really wanna believe out of the good of the human heart, the people trying to reincarnate Teen Titans are going to continue the same old Comedy/Serious Drama formula.

They're not. They're pretty explictly not. This is not the old Teen Titans show. This is a new show using the same characters. This seems to be a comedy-with-superheroes animated show, not an action comedy drama type show like Teen Titans was. The art style definitely reflects that and, in addition, helps signal the change in genre and tone.

Personally, I would have preferred for them to go father and just adapt Tiny Titans. A Tiny Titans animated series would be the best thing.

Mystic Muse
2012-06-17, 06:22 PM
Ah.

Not really interested in that sort of Teen Titans, so I'll be skipping this.

Hopeless
2012-06-20, 05:31 AM
Ah.

Not really interested in that sort of Teen Titans, so I'll be skipping this.

But I am interested in a series on Super Best Friends Forever simply on the basis of the three one minute you tube video's they've released... after all who didn't grin at the sight of superman calling for his mum after supergirl gave him a wedgie?!!!:smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2012-06-20, 12:40 PM
Well, Super BFFs had gold written on it from the moment it was announced. Tara Strong as Batgirl? Lauren Faust directing/producing/writing/whatever? SOLD.

If Titans GO! is going to be in a similar shorts format, the style shouldn't be too grating to me. Plus, recurring VAs.