PDA

View Full Version : Untouchable Warrior Build? [E6]

Callous
2012-06-09, 12:57 PM
I'm interesting in creating a character who will be able to handle most things thrown at him at level 6. Ideally he should be able to pack a punch as well and keep people from simply running away. (Some form of lockdown), and i want him to already work at level 6.

Defensive traits we would like:
High fort and will saves.
High AC.
Hit points
Mettle
Uncanny Dodge
Evasion

Offensive:
Improved Trip
Stand Still
Mage Slayer
Thicket of Blades stance

Races: Human or Dwarf (Con, Arcane Resistance) or?
Classes: Hexblade, Crusader, Monk, Pious Templar (Prc: Mettle)

Am i missing anything? So far i am looking at either a Hexblade(3)/+???

Or Crusader(5)/Pious Template(1)

Mettle, Zealous Surge (reroll save), Furious Counterstrike + Stone Power, Indomitable Soul (+will saves), Thicket of blades + Tripping and then top it off with mage-slayer.

Combined with maneuvers he would still be able to pack a punch.

Waker
2012-06-09, 01:15 PM
Sneak a level of Incarnate in there and take Open Least Chakra to bind Impulse Boots to your feet chakra. That will give you Uncanny Dodge and Evasion.
If you don't want to take Incarnate, you can still manage by taking Shape Soulmeld, but you would be rather tight on feats.

Callous
2012-06-09, 01:22 PM
Sneak a level of Incarnate in there and take Open Least Chakra to bind Impulse Boots to your feet chakra. That will give you Uncanny Dodge and Evasion.
If you don't want to take Incarnate, you can still manage by taking Shape Soulmeld, but you would be rather tight on feats.

Ahh its too tight, if i drop a crusader level he doesn't get third level maneuvers and stances (Thicket of blades).

How many feats would it take to get it without the incarnate level? Incarnum is not my strong side.

Theroc
2012-06-09, 01:25 PM
No expert on this part either (I usually would use an incarnum class when melding, but I believe it's 1 feat to open the chakra, and 1 feat for the soulmeld.

Waker
2012-06-09, 01:28 PM
No expert on this part either (I usually would use an incarnum class when melding, but I believe it's 1 feat to open the chakra, and 1 feat for the soulmeld.

Correct. Shape Soulmeld (Impulse Boots), 6th level feat Open Least Chakra (Feet).

Callous
2012-06-09, 01:40 PM
Human Indomitable

Crusader Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
Crusader
Crusader Shape Soulmeld
Crusader
Crusader
Pious Templar Open Least Soulmeld (Boots)

Defensive: Mettle, Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Zealous Surge

Offensive: Level 1-3 Maneuvers, Punishing Stance + Improved Trip, Furious Counterstrike (10)

Base Saves: +6 Fort, +3 Will, +1 Reflex

HP: 6d10
_________

Waaait.. i need two feats to qualify for the templar.. 2 flaws!?

Callous
2012-06-09, 06:09 PM
Rather than get evasion and uncanny dodge.

It would probably be more useful to simply get more hp/healing/damage reduction to make up for no evasion (his reflex wont be impressive anyways) and AC so that when that rogue/assassin/whoever tries to catch him flat-footed, they don't beat his armor anyways.

So how to optimize these points?

Waker
2012-06-09, 06:27 PM
Out of curiosity, is this character for an E6 game?

Callous
2012-06-09, 06:35 PM
Yup : )

So, there is room for alot of development eventually.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-09, 07:51 PM
You can get Uncanny Dodge for 24 hours by casting Primal Instinct and Primal Hunter on yourself, in addition to other benefits. You could get your Sorcerer or Druid buddy to do that for you. Of course, it seems to me like Uncanny Dodge it's only worth it if your Dex is worth a damn.

The feat Stone Power can be good for making yourself resilient at low levels, especially if you aren't Power Attacking. Since it gives you temporary hp in exchange for penalties on your attack rolls, it basically turns your Delayed Damage pool into "lol I'm not taking this damage". Combo with Stone Bones (DR 5/adamantine for 1 round if you hit), and you'll be very hard to kill.

One way to be immune to Mind Affecting at low levels is to take Willing Deformity (madness). Total immunity, plus a once-per minute Immediate boost on the few Will saves you now have to make. However, your Wisdom suffers, you go bonkers, and it has a prerequisite (willing deformity).

Lonely Tylenol
2012-06-09, 09:18 PM
Warblade-focused defender could be done with any IL 5+ Warblade, so a Human Warblade 5/Pious Templar 1 would give you your Concentration check to any save, plus damage, and/or the ability to make people flat-footed or make attacks as a touch attack, plus Mettle. Of course, your base save will be +6 for Fort, and CON will be your highest stat, so you won't need the third save booster, in all likelihood.

Personally, I would drop Mettle, which isn't tremendously useful, and go for a Human Fighter 2/Warblade 4 with the following:

Fighter 1 - Combat Expertise, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Broadblade), Improved Trip
Fighter 2* - Stand Still
Warblade 1 - Martial Study (Crusader's Strike or Vanguard Strike), Moment of Perfect Mind, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Steel Wind, Bolstering Voice (stance)
Warblade 2 - Action Before Thought
Warblade 3 - Battle Leader's Charge (offense) or Emerald Razor (Defense)
Warblade 4 - Martial Stance (Thicket of Blades), Insightful Strike or White Raven Tactics (trading out Steel Wind, Sapphire Nightmare Blade or Battle Leader's Charge), Stance of your choosing

*I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if it's possible to use your Crusader maneuvers known and your Warblade initiator level for your Martial Stance feat, I would swap this level out for a level of Crusader, switch Stand Still to your third-level feat, not take Martial Study at all, and assign Thicket of Blades to your Warblade stances known. You can take the Crusader level at 5th to grab second-level maneuvers, but you will have to drop Battle Leader's Charge/Emerald Razor or Action Before Thought to do so. Personally, I'd grab the Crusader level at 2 and just take the first-level maneuvers Vanguard Strike, Crusader's Strike, Stone Bones, Charging Minotaur and Leading the Attack, and either Bolstering Voice or Iron Guard's Glare as my stance. Then, I would take Roots of the Mountain as your Warblade 4 stance (assuming the above is true for maneuvers and stances known as well as for maneuvers and stances gained from Martial Study/Stance), and take Punishing Stance instead of Bolstering Voice as your Warblade 1 stance (just to have an offensive option available).

Grab a Ring of Evasion, or trade out Martial Study and Martial Stance for Open Chakra and Shape Least Soulmeld (or just grab these things with epic feats).

Your sword is a +1 Defensive Surge (MIC) Broadblade (CAd). If you wish for Mettle, you'll be grabbing a Tabard of Valor (CC) for 16,000 gold, but I would rather grab a Vest of Defense (MIC) for 2,000 gold. This combination lets you trade BAB for AC+4 4+INT times per day (using Defensive Surge and Vest of Defense separately), and AC+2 the rest of the time. With Mwk Segmented Full Plate, a Mwk Shield and 14 DEX, that means your AC will be 22 + (5-10) in a given round with Combat Expertise, and can make these attacks as touch attacks or against flat-footed AC.

Then, be large. You'll take -2 AC (-2 DEX, -1 size penalty), but you'll gain reach with Improved Trip and Thicket of Blades.

With 32 Point Buy, I'd make your stats:

STR 16
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 14
WIS 8
CHA 8

Your Hit Dice is going to be (if you took your Warblade level at 1, and why not?), 12 + 2d10 + 3d12 + 18, which is respectable; if you take average, you'll have 61 HP. As a Human, you'll have 7 skill points for each Warblade level (x4 at level 1), and 5 for each Fighter level, so you will have enough to max Concentration and still do respectable things with the others.

If you have no love for the Broadblade (which is understandable), trade out Human for Warforged or Dwarf for the CON bonus and drop EWP, and take a reach weapon instead. Or, take EWP (Spiked Chain) and be a Chain Tripper instead, which has its own set of delicious benefits. Or, stay Human and dip Whirling Frenzy Barbarian for the odd +2 AC and Reflex saves, +4 Strength, and extra attack option.

In total, you'll have (with the Ftr 1/Crs1 1/Wbl 4 option and the above point buy):
61 HP (on average)
BAB +6 (for the coveted second iterative), with +10 to-hit (and options)
AC 22 + (Combat Expertise bonus + 2 or 4)
Fort +11 (8 + CON), Ref +5 (1 + DEX + INT), Will +0 (1 - WIS), with Moment of Perfect Mind and Action Before Thought (at +12 without skill enhancers) and Bolstering Voice for a potential Will +2 to everyone
Uncanny Dodge (through class levels), Evasion and Mettle (through items)
Improved Trip, Stand Still and Thicket of Blades

I think that covers almost all of the offensive and defensive options you gave (even though some are being covered with items).

Callous
2012-06-12, 09:48 AM
Working on a level 4 Indomitable!

The Curse-Tripper!

Hexblade Combat Expertise, Jotunbrud
Hexblade
Hexblade Improved Trip
Hexblade

Defensive: Mettle, Arcane Resistance

Offensive: Level 1 spells, Hexblade Curse, Dark Companion, Improved Trip

Base Saves: +4 Fort, +4 Will, +1 Reflex

HP: 4d10

The Templar!

Crusader Stone Power, Combat Expertise
Crusader
Crusader ?
Cloistered Cleric

Defensive: Zealous Surge, Indomitable soul, Steely resolve 5

Offensive: Level 1 spells, level 1-2 maneuvers, Furious counterstrike

Domains: Knowledge Devotion, Healing Devotion,

Liberation - Slippery Mind? or Luck - reroll? Dream - Immunity to fear effects?

Base Saves: +5 Fort, +3 Will, +1 Reflex

HP: 3d10 + 1d8

stack
2012-06-12, 10:49 AM
For E6 boss-types, you can just tack extra 'epic' feats on the end, after level 6. Increases their CR slightly depending on how many you add.