PDA

View Full Version : Ways To Increase Feint/Bluff?

Amoren
2012-06-09, 02:26 PM
Asking for a prospective build I intend on playing sometime, which utilizes the feat Surprising Riposte and five levels of Invisible Blade for a rogueish build. So, what are the ways other than feats that one can use to improve the bluff skill/feint? I know that there's always a custom magic item to increase bluff, but not all DMs like those, so having something else to fall back on is always good.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-06-09, 03:05 PM
Be a Deepworm Drow/Half drow.

Get as many "Favored enemies" as humanly possible.

Buff your charisma.

White_Drake
2012-06-09, 11:51 PM
You can play a lesser tiefling; one level of Mountebank from Complete Scoundrel gives Int to bluff.

deuxhero
2012-06-10, 12:31 AM
Don't forget a Masterwork tool.

Even if the DM disallows bluff in general (Fair enough), there are examples of clothing in real life made for this exact purpose, so bluff for feinting purposes shouldn't be hard to convince him of.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-06-10, 04:24 AM
a one level dip into wizard, get a viper familiar. +3 bluff

prufock
2012-06-10, 10:29 AM
Don't forget a Masterwork tool.

Even if the DM disallows bluff in general (Fair enough), there are examples of clothing in real life made for this exact purpose, so bluff for feinting purposes shouldn't be hard to convince him of.

Real-world examples exist on weapons, too, if we're only concerned with bluff for feinting. Tying brightly-colored feathers on the shaft of a spear or butt of a sword, for example. It draws the eye to the feather instead of the pointy bits.

Amoren
2012-06-10, 11:05 AM
Speaking of weapons, I don't know if this exists in Pen or Paper or not, but in Dungeons and Dragons Online there was a weapon property called... Deception or Shadow, I believe. It gave an enhancement bonus to bluff (+3 I think) and had a chance on hit to make the target vulnerable to sneak attacks despite not being flanked/flat footed/etc. I don't think it exists as written in Pen and Paper, but is there another weapon property like it that improves bluff/feinting? If so, it would make for a themantic choice on the off hand dagger.

Thurbane
2012-06-10, 09:34 PM
From the MIC: Amulet of Wordtwisting (+2 insight, +4 if you are an Orc); Mask of Lies (+5 competence); Wink Brooch (+2 competence, 3/day).

DMG: Circlet of Persuasion (+3 competence on all CHA based checks.

1 level dip into Dragonfire Adept (Beguiling Influence invocation) +6 untyped bonus.

1 level dip into Marshal can get you CHA bonus to Bluff twice, with the right aura.

I was going to suggest the Glibness spell, but it specifically says that you cannot use the +30 bonus for Feinting.

Fenryr
2012-06-10, 10:10 PM
Nymph Kiss feat? +2 on all Charisma rolls plus +1 Skill point per level and +1 on al Saving Throws when dealing with spells

Skill Focus: Bluff feat?

Insightful Feint spell from Spell Compendium? A swift spell level 1 for Wizard/Sorcerer and Assassin. +10 on the next single bluff roll. You may Feint as free if you have Improved Feint.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-06-10, 10:14 PM
Speaking of weapons, I don't know if this exists in Pen or Paper or not, but in Dungeons and Dragons Online there was a weapon property called... Deception or Shadow, I believe. It gave an enhancement bonus to bluff (+3 I think) and had a chance on hit to make the target vulnerable to sneak attacks despite not being flanked/flat footed/etc. I don't think it exists as written in Pen and Paper, but is there another weapon property like it that improves bluff/feinting? If so, it would make for a themantic choice on the off hand dagger.

No.

Wow i didn't know there was a minimum character number for messages. Hence this.

Averis Vol
2012-06-10, 10:15 PM
theres a warfan that grants a +2 to bluff for the purpose of feint. though its kind of moot since invisible blade is dagger only, but i could see a point being made for the fan to function. Plus the idea of an invisible blade/dervish with the warfan intrigues me very deeply......to the drawing boards!

EDIT: I found the warfan, its in A&EG. But sadly i was a bit mistaken, in the first round of combat it lets you make a bluff check vs sense motive, if you win you get a +4 to your attacks in the first round of combat. not terrible but sadly not quite what you were looking for.

Amoren
2012-06-11, 07:55 AM
No.

Wow i didn't know there was a minimum character number for messages. Hence this.

Which actually strikes me as odd. A LOT of the stuff in the game, while modified, typically had some source in the pen and paper source. At least the common stuff, and the enchantment was pretty commonly available. Oh well.

Insightful Feint makes finishing this build with ten levels of assassin all the more tempting.

Fenryr
2012-06-11, 03:31 PM
Get a wand. You have Use Magical Device. You may get a Wand Chamber (Complete Scoundrel) that allows you to put a wand in a weapon and the wand counts as being wielded for the purposes of using it.