PDA

View Full Version : My Typical Homebrew Format (3.5/P, PEACH)

Kane0
2012-06-09, 08:10 PM
Hi again guys.

I've worked on a few classes now, but until recently its been more like fumbling than developing. So, to sort things out in my own mind I threw this together. Its my 'standard procedure' for making classes, mostly base classes but it is perfectly workable for prestige classes with tweaking:

Step one: Saves
Select one save to be the 'good' save, one to be the 'medium' save and one to be the 'poor save'.
I would not normally recommend increasing the save progressions, use class abilities for pumping them up if you need to.

Step two: BAB, Skills and spellcasting
Select one of these to be of the 'good' progression, another to be of the 'medium' progression and the last has the 'poor' progression.

Notes on spellcasting:
1: 'Good' spellcasting progression is defined as a full progression up to 9th level spells, 'average' is up to 6th level spells in a manner similar to bards, and 'poor' is up to 3rd level spells similar to paladins and rangers.
2: Other capabilities like Warlock Invoking, Soulmelding, ToB Maneuvers and Binding are all subsitutes for spellcasting, and function in the same manner. Sometimes you will have to guesstimate what constitutes 'Good', 'average' and 'poor' progressions on these.

Note on skills: 'Good', 'average' and 'poor' Skills progression can be seen here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13343475).

Note on HD: HD is derived directly from BAB. 'Bad' BAB progression is d6, 'Medium' is d8 and 'Good' is d10.

Step three: Assign Abilities
Abilities are the most flexible. These can be placed where you find it appropriate and how it best balances the class. As a general rule, if you have the good spellcasting progression you wont need much in this part.
For the majority of cases you will want at least one passive ability that scales or improves with level, one or more passive abilities that do not scale with level (one-offs), one active ability that scales or improves with level and one or more active abilities that do not scale with level (one-offs).

Note: Be sure to add decent abilities at level 1 or 2, 5, 10, 15 and 20 as capstones.

Step four: Dead levels
Fill in dead levels with interesting and flavorful abilities, but nothing overly useful. These abilities are not to improve the class mechanically, they are to improve the class thematically.

And there you have it! Let me know what you think forumers!

Midwoka
2012-06-09, 08:37 PM
Looks pretty good, though I didn't see anything there for determining the class' Hit Die.

Personally, I start with a class skeleton of d6 HD, 2+Int skill points, poor BAB progression, one good save, and proficiency in simple weapons. Then I give it a certain number of points to improve these or add class abilities that are approximately equivalent to a feat - 1 point increases HD by a die type, increases skill points by 2 per level, improves BAB progression by one step (to average, then good), adds another good save, or gives a bonus feat or equivalent ability at a given level. 1st level gets about 10 of these points, then each level adds 1 to 2 more (just for special abilities and bonus feats after 1st level, obviously). Weaker abilities (or notably sucky feats) can just take half a point, including some of the proficiencies which get a bit more complicated. This is also for Pathfinder, since I like it more.

Kane0
2012-06-10, 01:13 AM
Oops, I completely forgot about HD.

In pathfinder its easy to determine HD because it is based on BAB (with some exceptions like the barbarian). Low BAB gets d6, medium gets d8 and full gets d10.

I don't think it should be a problem for that to also work for 3.5, so i'll edit that in.

Morph Bark
2012-06-11, 08:56 AM
So you don't do classes that don't have magic at all?

Kane0
2012-06-11, 09:21 PM
I try to put magic on most classes in some way or another for the mechanical and balance benefits if nothing else, but a lot dont, like my rogue fix.

If they dont I usually trade that loss for an increase in, BAB/HD, Skill points or better abilities to make up for it.
On a similar note, you can sacrifice one progression step to increase another, to get the middle progression on all three for instance (like an artificer).

DracoDei
2012-06-13, 07:50 PM
This looks like it could work, but I also have to say that it isn't for everyone or every class.

I have designed two base classes. I know this isn't much, but bear with me here. One of them could probably have been designed by these standards, with some nerfing because it is supposed to be an NPC class. The other...

Well, by the time I had the idea clearly enough in my head to start typing it up, I KNEW it was going to have d12 HD, all good saves, and poor BAB. Those are all design decisions I stand by, and were among the first things I decided.

Kane0
2012-06-13, 09:04 PM
Of course. This is in no way a perfect way to do things, and there will always be things that break the mold. This is more of a way to start off when concepts are new and unrefined or when you need a way to start off. In that regard I suppose this would be more help to those new to homebrew than those that have done a few.