PDA

View Full Version : Putting on the Black Suit: Your Choice.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-09, 08:12 PM
This is a simple, silly media based thread that hovers around the following question:

"If you could give the Venom Symbiote from Marvel Comics (Earth 616) to any character from any media (including Marvel itself), who would it be and why?"

The rules for this exercise is simple:
You are limited to one character per post and up to five characters per person. That way you can't just post a 100 member list and thus take away the opportunity for other folks to come up with a combination.
This concerns the Venom Symbiote from Earth 616 (http://marvel.wikia.com/Venom_%28Symbiote%29_%28Earth-616%29).
You cannot give it to someone who it would be completely superfluous upon. Now, I know that Carnage Cosmic (http://marvel.wikia.com/Carnage_Cosmic) was a pretty awesome concept, but there's nothing the Symbiote really brings to table for old Surfer (ignoring the fact that he'd have been immune to being bonded).

I'll kick us off:

I'd personally love to see it added to Drizzt Do'urden. I've always been annoyed by the fact (only up to Halfling's Gem right now mind you, but my friend who's much farther along and has been reading since they were first published says he hasn't changed) Drizzt seems to moan and lament over the fact that he's so epic and awesome and badass because he is so epic and awesome and badass. So it'd be great for him to be emo over being an amazing physical specimen because it comes at the cost of him wanting to eat people's brains.

leafman
2012-06-09, 10:32 PM
I think my first pick would be Batman. He already struggles with the urge to kill, but would the symbiotes influence push him over the edge. Granted a Batman that kills wouldn't be much fun, but seeing his stuggle against the symbiote might be interesting. Does he keep it and try to tame it, or does he ditch it and lose the extra strength it can give him in his crusade against crime?

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-10, 12:19 AM
I think my first pick would be Batman. He already struggles with the urge to kill, but would the symbiotes influence push him over the edge. Granted a Batman that kills wouldn't be much fun, but seeing his stuggle against the symbiote might be interesting. Does he keep it and try to tame it, or does he ditch it and lose the extra strength it can give him in his crusade against crime?

I think that one Superman/Batman trade shows us he'd go over the edge.

The Extinguisher
2012-06-10, 01:58 AM
The Doctor?
That seems like it would have terrible consequences for everyone involved. Maybe it's a little too obvious, but that's my choice and I'm sticking to it.

I guess it's in universe for my Doctor Who/Spider-man teamup fantasys, so that works.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-10, 02:01 AM
The Doctor?
That seems like it would have terrible consequences for everyone involved. Maybe it's a little too obvious, but that's my choice and I'm sticking to it.

I guess it's in universe for my Doctor Who/Spider-man teamup fantasys, so that works.

Any specific incarnation?

Xondoure
2012-06-10, 04:35 AM
For a second I thought it was about men in black, and whether you'd accept the risk of putting on that suit. So with that in mind agent J. Probably would simply lock it away with the rest. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2012-06-10, 04:59 AM
For a second I thought it was about men in black, and whether you'd accept the risk of putting on that suit. So with that in mind agent J. Probably would simply lock it away with the rest. :smalltongue:

That was my first thought as well.
There was a Men in Black one shot, not the original series, that was published by Marvel, so in theory, yeah, it is doable under the rules of engagement.

Eldan
2012-06-10, 07:32 AM
Harry Dresden? Honestly, just because Harry Dresden is awesome and I want more Harry Dresden media of any kind.

But the man obviously needs more horrible temptation of power. He doesn't have enough ways to fall yet.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-10, 09:24 AM
Harry Dresden? Honestly, just because Harry Dresden is awesome and I want more Harry Dresden media of any kind.

But the man obviously needs more horrible temptation of power. He doesn't have enough ways to fall yet.

Doesn't he have a fallen angel in his head?

Devonix
2012-06-10, 01:49 PM
I just want someone to give the symbiot some counseling I mean when it was born it gets bonded to this highly emotional Bad luck magnet. When it tries to do what he thinks is right its host abuses it and tries to kill it. It then bonds with another crazy person while still not knowing why it's first love didn't like it enough.

Cespenar
2012-06-10, 01:56 PM

Ninth Doctor.

Moff Chumley
2012-06-10, 02:06 PM
Deadpool.

Clearly.

Lateral
2012-06-10, 02:17 PM
Deadpool.

Clearly.
...You know, you're absolutely right. That would be AWESOME. Not really sure what the results would be, but awesome. Although I think Carnage might fit better than Venom.

pita
2012-06-10, 02:24 PM
Kellhus. Just 'cause.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-10, 02:43 PM
I just want someone to give the symbiot some counseling I mean when it was born it gets bonded to this highly emotional Bad luck magnet. When it tries to do what he thinks is right its host abuses it and tries to kill it. It then bonds with another crazy person while still not knowing why it's first love didn't like it enough.

Venom was already considered insane by it's fellow symbiotes because it wanted to live, you know, symbiotically with its host instead of making them into adrenaline junkies who kill themselves just feeding the parasite attached to them. That's why Venom was on Battle world in the first place.

It was always pretty monstrous and sociopathic, racially, before ever bonding to Peter.

...You know, you're absolutely right. That would be AWESOME. Not really sure what the results would be, but awesome. Although I think Carnage might fit better than Venom.

This actually happened in a What If?.

Lateral
2012-06-10, 03:49 PM
This actually happened in a What If?.

Which one? Venom or Carnage?

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-10, 03:56 PM
Which one? Venom or Carnage?

Venom.

Galactus hired Deadpool to kill the Beyonder for fusing M.O.D.O.K. to his butt. Things spiraled out of control and Deadpool was bonded to Venom instead of Eddie and Carnage ended up being a white trash female version of the Beyonder who was sleeping with him instead of Deadpool. Deadpool ends up killing the Beyonder and gains his powers, playing god until his depression makes him eliminate the whole universe.

Lateral
2012-06-10, 04:12 PM
Venom.

Galactus hired Deadpool to kill the Beyonder for fusing M.O.D.O.K. to his butt. Things spiraled out of control and Deadpool was bonded to Venom instead of Eddie and Carnage ended up being a white trash female version of the Beyonder who was sleeping with him instead of Deadpool. Deadpool ends up killing the Beyonder and gains his powers, playing god until his depression makes him eliminate the whole universe.

That's hilarious.

Maxios
2012-06-10, 04:19 PM
Deadpool.

Clearly.

I second this :smallamused:.

Flickerdart
2012-06-10, 07:16 PM
Ingredients:
10oz Venom symbiote
10oz Ditto

Directions
Combine in food processor until homogenous. Serve chilled.

Senator Cybus
2012-06-10, 07:27 PM
From Transmetropolitan, Spider Jerusalem.

Apart from the obvious arachnid imagery, Spider's ideal as his ranting could feed the symbiote indefinitely. Plus he could then fight the corruption of City Hall by combining trenchant reportage with eating peoples' brains. But he'll keep the bowel disruptor, obviously.

God, I really want to draw that now...

Mauve Shirt
2012-06-10, 07:38 PM
Aw, not Harry, he has too much going on already.

Doesn't he have a fallen angel in his head?

Depends on the book. :smallbiggrin:

I nominate Indiana Jones, the one of the first movie.

Jaros
2012-06-10, 07:56 PM

Current!

And then he gets killed while fused with the symbiote!

AND HE REGENERATES INTO THE VALEYARD!

:O

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-10, 08:00 PM
Current!

And then he gets killed while fused with the symbiote!

AND HE REGENERATES INTO THE VALEYARD!

:O

He can't regenerate into The Valeyard since The Valeyard was never a real Time Lord to begin with.

Jaros
2012-06-10, 08:01 PM
He can't regenerate into The Valeyard since The Valeyard was never a real Time Lord to begin with.

Of course not, he was a Time Lord/symbiote hybrid. Makes perfect sense.

Also he is the Dream Lord from that one episode of series 5. Also makes sense.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-10, 08:05 PM
Of course not, he was a Time Lord/symbiote hybrid. Makes perfect sense.

Also he is the Dream Lord from that one episode of series 5. Also makes sense.

See, I refuse to watch any of Matt Smith until I watch William Hartnell through Paul McGann so that I can get used to the idea of someone who isn't Tennant, but I thought the Dream Lord was a similar but very separate entity from The Valeyard.

Jaros
2012-06-10, 09:02 PM
See, I refuse to watch any of Matt Smith until I watch William Hartnell through Paul McGann so that I can get used to the idea of someone who isn't Tennant, but I thought the Dream Lord was a similar but very separate entity from The Valeyard.

Oh he is, the 'makes sense' parts there were sarcastic :P

Sith_Happens
2012-06-11, 02:38 AM
Suzaku Kururugi (from Code Geass). Because the only thing better than jumping twenty feet to spin kick someone in the face is swinging two hundred feet on a web to spin kick someone in the face.:smallcool:

erikun
2012-06-11, 09:05 AM
I've kind of wanted to see Venom bond to a psychic, so... Psylocke, I guess?

I'm sure there are others with similar/better matches of powers, but she's just the first name that immediately comes to mind. Marvel has just way too many characters with basically the same powers.

Fragenstein
2012-06-11, 10:35 AM
See, I refuse to watch any of Matt Smith until I watch William Hartnell through Paul McGann...

William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
Peter Davison
Colin Baker
Sylvester McCoy
Paul McGann (I keep forgetting that one because he doesn't really count)
Christopher Eccleston
David Tennant...

...Matt Smith...

I really enjoy Matt Smith's doctor, but really. He couldn't come up with a better stage name? Is Trevor Bannister still using his?

ThePhantasm
2012-06-11, 11:37 AM
"If you could give the Venom Symbiote from Marvel Comics (Earth 616) to any character from any media (including Marvel itself), who would it be and why?"

Hulk. Just to see what happens.

Tiki Snakes
2012-06-11, 03:26 PM
I've kind of wanted to see Venom bond to a psychic, so... Psylocke, I guess?

I'm sure there are others with similar/better matches of powers, but she's just the first name that immediately comes to mind. Marvel has just way too many characters with basically the same powers.

The thing with a lot of Venom-Pairing options is that, like with the Hulk, it's hard to see what the host would get from the symbiote after a point.

Psylocke is a little like that, (and heaven knows her character has been twisted into enough knots already).
But here's a psychic for you; Professor Xavier. The Symbiote fixes his legs (presumably), gives him the strength speed and reflexes to return to adventuring and all for the tiny price of craving a little cranial nibbling which he's got enough ego to believe he could easily supress without side-effect. How could it possibly go wrong? :smallwink:

The Extinguisher
2012-06-11, 04:38 PM

Honestly, I'd say the Eleventh, because that would be the most interesting to watch. But my Doctor Who/Spiderman team-up is with the Tenth Doctor, so I'd have to go with him.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-11, 05:32 PM

It's happened in a What If before, but Hulk is definitely one of those cases where the Symbiote brings nothing. Hulk already has potential limitless strength and healing, his speed is nothing to sneeze at, he's already bullet proof and he doesn't need amped reflexes past his current level. There's nothing for Venom to offer him.

But here's a psychic for you; Professor Xavier. The Symbiote fixes his legs (presumably), gives him the strength speed and reflexes to return to adventuring and all for the tiny price of craving a little cranial nibbling which he's got enough ego to believe he could easily supress without side-effect. How could it possibly go wrong? :smallwink:

Nice tagline for Onslaught 2.0. ;D

sentaku
2012-06-11, 06:58 PM
It's happened in a What If before, but Hulk is definitely one of those cases where the Symbiote brings nothing. Hulk already has potential limitless strength and healing, his speed is nothing to sneeze at, he's already bullet proof and he doesn't need amped reflexes past his current level. There's nothing for Venom to offer him.

Didn't it cure Banner of the hulk?

As for a character to give the Venom Symbiote
to I would go with frogger. Because frogs eat spiders, that and he could jump on cars to eat the people's brains who were trying to run him over.

Sith_Happens
2012-06-11, 07:40 PM

Definitely make it the Xavier from X-Men: First Class, though, since he's already kind of a douche to start with.:smallwink:

Also, scratch my previous suggestion. There is exactly one anime character that I want to see don the Venom suit:

Claire Stamfield.

There will be no survivors.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-11, 08:18 PM
Definitely make it the Xavier from X-Men: First Class, though, since he's already kind of a douche to start with.:smallwink:

Also, scratch my previous suggestion. There is exactly one anime character that I want to see don the Venom suit:

Claire Stamfield.

There will be no survivors.

Except, you know, all the Immortals. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2012-06-11, 08:23 PM
Really overpowered characters, eh? Hm. I don't really read any mainstream DC or Marvel comics. How about some Vertigo?

Venom Dream. Or Venom Lucifer. More for hte personality changes than the power, obviously.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-11, 10:19 PM
Really overpowered characters, eh? Hm. I don't really read any mainstream DC or Marvel comics. How about some Vertigo?

Venom Dream. Or Venom Lucifer. More for hte personality changes than the power, obviously.

Wait, what? :smallconfused:

The Extinguisher
2012-06-11, 11:30 PM

Venom Delirium? That would be fun to read.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-11, 11:38 PM
Venom Delirium? That would be fun to read.

Meh, Delirium would just chew and blow Black Suit Spider-man bubbles.

Eldan
2012-06-12, 02:39 AM
Venom Destruction? Could turn pretty interesting.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-12, 09:42 AM
Venom Destruction? Could turn pretty interesting.

Except the Symbiote would have literally no effect, physical, mentally or on a conceptual level on any of the mentioned entities.

And I have no clue why we're discussing the Endless when they're so above Cosmic Carnage.

irenicObserver
2012-06-12, 10:15 AM

I second this motion.

I'd wanna see either Celty Sturlusson, one of the Slashers or Shizuo Heiwajima.

The Extinguisher
2012-06-12, 09:17 PM
Except the Symbiote would have literally no effect, physical, mentally or on a conceptual level on any of the mentioned entities.

And I have no clue why we're discussing the Endless when they're so above Cosmic Carnage.

It's fun? Isn't that the whole point of this thread?

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-12, 10:15 PM
It's fun? Isn't that the whole point of this thread?

The point of the thread was to think of fun potential hosts who didn't render the Symbiote completely superfluous.

I mean, it's like giving Mr.Mxyzptlk the Nega Bands or The Spectre a Gundam or The Shrike an Oan Power Ring.

I mean, yeah, it's baws awesome to think of it, but it really doesn't go far. But you guys just go about your fun. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2012-06-12, 11:42 PM
It's just that the Endless are pretty much the only comic book characters I know, apart from the handful I have seen in movies.

All right, then, let's think of novels. Hm. Lord of the Rings.

Venom Denethor! It can only end in tears.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-12, 11:45 PM
It's just that the Endless are pretty much the only comic book characters I know, apart from the handful I have seen in movies.

You have made me cry tears of joy for your impeccable tastes in this regard sir.

Eldan
2012-06-12, 11:47 PM
Actually, that wasn't so much by choice. See, the only store I know that sells American comics of any kind is the English Book Store. They have one board on one shelf in the fantasy section that has usually about four or five graphic novels on it. Sandman was amongst them and it had Neil Gaiman's name on it.

Tavar
2012-06-12, 11:51 PM
How about Rorschach from the Watchmen?

Tiki Snakes
2012-06-13, 07:18 AM
How about Rorschach from the Watchmen?

"Give us back our face...or we eat yours!"
Yeah, actually this is a great idea and I thoroughly approve.

tomandtish
2012-06-17, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=sentaku;13380407]Didn't it cure Banner of the hulk?
QUOTE]

From the symbiote's perspective, it might make more sense to cure the Hulk from being Banner. Remember, the symbiote has demonstrated enough intelligence in some cases to think about what is best for it.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-17, 09:21 PM
Crap... it definitely would render it superfluous; but the image of Venom being bonded to Berseker/Heracles from Fate/Stay Night is awesome... I wonder if the servant bond would be enough keep Venomzerker* to try and kill the Master...or even if the command spells would be enough.

*I suck at naming...sue me

Raimun
2012-06-18, 01:06 AM
Deadpool.

Clearly.

Deadpool had the symbiote once.

In Cable & Deadpool #50. Ok, perhaps not the venom symbiote but close enough. What happened was that shortly after bonding, 'Pool went and stabbed himself in the head with a psychic spear Cable gave him.

Who I'd like to see with the symbiote?
Obviously a marvel character. I can't stand mismatched team ups that try to be serious. I'm still recovering after Soul Calibur IV.
Also, it would have be a bad guy. Any heroes worth their salt would just sort themselves out and get rid of the suit.
Last, the character should gain something from it. I'd totally like to see some cheese à la Batman with the Green Lantern-ring!

That said, I'd pick Bullseye. I imagine he would give in and become a psycho like Carnage. Now he could move around like spider-man and he'd still have his deadly accuracy... which is now even more scary what with the super strength and all. He could throw a limousine at someone and the cause of death would actually be the pointy hood ornament.

HandofShadows
2012-06-18, 12:32 PM
I second this motion.

I'd wanna see either Celty Sturlusson, one of the Slashers or Shizuo Heiwajima.

Probably would not work on Celty. While she looks human (aside from the no head thing) she is a supernatural entity. A Slasher might be interesting and control might change depending which one of the Slasher minds is running things. (The normal person or the Slasher). Considering his own anger managment problems I wonder if he would not end up controling Venom in short order. :smalleek:

Xynphos
2012-06-18, 09:20 PM
Personally, I'd give Venom to Samurai Jack, just to see how Aku would handle it.

Tergon
2012-06-19, 09:55 AM
One of my all-time favourite villians: Gollum.

He's already badly fractured between his Smeagol and Gollum selves and shows severe obsessive tendencies. And he's already a terrible threat to anyone he can take by surprise: Aragorn himself notes that, "His malice is great and gives him a strength hardly to be believed."

Throw in the symbiote to that, and suddenly Gollum has the raw strength and power to back up all those whispered, hissing threats. It'd be thematically appropriate for his service to Shelob, and he's already fond of eating people; now he'd just find their brains to be an especially tasty treat.

erikun
2012-06-20, 12:29 AM
The thing with a lot of Venom-Pairing options is that, like with the Hulk, it's hard to see what the host would get from the symbiote after a point.

Psylocke is a little like that, (and heaven knows her character has been twisted into enough knots already).
Perhaps Psylocke is a bad choice, given that she's already a super-assassin even without her powers, but there are plenty of low-grade psychics who don't have much more than mind-reading or force fields on their own.

Part of the reason I'd like to see Venom binded to a psychic, though, is because it would then give Venom psychic powers. I tend to like stories where characters gain a bit of introspection and look at what they're doing, and so having a character talk to the suit while it's changing them and get a response would be pretty neat - we already know the Venom symbiote has some sort of personality on its own, but very little about it individually.

Although a Venom-Xavier does have a lot more potential in that regard.

Fragenstein
2012-06-20, 06:41 AM
Personally, I'd give Venom to Samurai Jack, just to see how Aku would handle it.

Interesting. I'd imagine the same as when Jack was overcome by an Aku based version of 'Venom'. Episode XLIII, The Aku Infection. He initially lost control to the evil personality and laid out a monestary full of monks. Meditative introspection allowed him to eventually destroy the 'suit' by drawing on his own inner resources.

Very similar. If there's a difference, it might be in that Venom enhances a personality and makes it more violent where the Aku infection attempted to bury it completely. I have a feeling that Jack's reaction would be the same in either case.

AtomicKitKat
2012-06-20, 02:47 PM
The other Doctor. Von Doom, that is.

Mastery of magic? Check.
Mastery of technology? Check.
Mastery over his physical form? Check that off the list now! It's not quite up there with gaining Power Cosmic, but it fills a different chink in his armour.

Then again, gaining the weaknesses to sound/heat would be a terrible trade-off for him, so Victor would probably fob it off into some Doombots or something.

Oh, oh. I know who now! Johnny Storm. If done right, I have just created a Symbiote immune to heat. Now, we then force it off Johnny via Banshee, and we now have a Symbiote that is impervious to both heat and soundwaves, thereby dooming anyone bonded to it to lifetime servitude(unless it finds a better host). It would be the ultimate evolution of the species.