PDA

View Full Version : Pounce Giving an Extra Attack?

White_Drake
2012-06-10, 12:44 AM
From the SRD -

Pounce: When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability.

because a charge is defined as a double move followed by an attack, does this mean that you gain an additional attack on top of your full attack when you charge?

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-10, 01:27 AM
Ah, no, it just lets you make your full attack, plus rake attacks if you have any.

The best way to get extra attacks on a pounce is to just get extra attacks that you can make in a full attack, where we would have to see your build to see the particular ways it could be improved.

White_Drake
2012-06-10, 01:49 AM
I don't need this for a character, and I'm aware (sorta) of how pounce works, but if I'm reading this correctly, I believe it would, RAW, grant you an additional attack.

whibla
2012-06-10, 02:17 AM
Pounce:...*snip*...because a charge is defined as a double move followed by an attack, does this mean that you gain an additional attack on top of your full attack when you charge?

A charge is a special combat manoevre that allows a player or creature to move further than a single move action would allow, while still gaining a single attack at the end of the move. If it's taken as a full round action you can move up to double your standard move, and if it's taken as a standard action you can move up to your standard move, before, in either case making a single attack. Pounce is a special case of the charge manoevre, which has been, judging by your confusion, badly described. As the previous poster said Pounce merely allows you to take a full attack action, essentially shredding the target you land on with all your claws, at the end of your movement, instead of only making the single attack normally allowed by the standard charge.

To be clear, you do not get to charge an opponent, make a single attack, then make an additional full round of attacks on them...

...not without being hasted, anyway...

Esgath
2012-06-10, 02:22 AM
Well, you can certainly read it that way. But some creatures pounce are differently written, so not every pounce is created equal.

White_Drake
2012-06-10, 02:36 AM
What?!? The rules are Never unclear, or possible to misinterpret!

Abemad
2012-06-10, 04:36 AM
I've never really liked pounce, always thought it should be more like many shot, but for charging... (ie. choose between a few attacks with a high bonus, or many attacks with a crap bonus...)

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-10, 04:38 AM
Pounce gives melee some desperately needed mobility. It is one of the few nice things that melee and noncaster types can get easily.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-06-10, 08:39 AM
You do seem to be correct by RAW. The issue is that two definitions for "charge" are used in D&D.

1. A combat manuever that let's you move and make a single attack.'

2. The movement portion of a charge1.

Pounce refers to the second definition (obviously), and yes reading it with the first definition would give you one more attack than your full-attack.