PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 races] Eredar and Ursinoids

Andion Isurand
2012-06-10, 05:02 PM
Looking for feedback, critique and/or suggestions on the following races.
As they stand now, I feel they might be a bit much for an LA +0.
Does anyone know of a +0 LA race with natural weapons?

Eredar (http://andionisurand.blogspot.com/2011/10/eredar-race.html) & Ursinoids (http://andionisurand.blogspot.com/2012/06/ursine-race.html)

Midwoka
2012-06-10, 06:06 PM
I think they work out fine for having no Level Adjustment. All I would do is squish the draenei eredar's gem-related skill bonuses into one line, and rewrite Naaru's Gift to use Fast Healing.

-- +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks related to crystals and gems.

-- Naaru's Gift (Su): Once per day as a free or immediate action, a draenei eredar can grant fast healing 1 to any creature within 120 ft., which lasts for 3 rounds. For every 3 HD the draenei eredar possesses, this fast healing increases by 1.

As for official races with natural weapons and no LA, I know of the skarn from Magic Of Incarnum and the darfellan from Stormwrack. The skarn natural weapon is written kind of funny, though, while the darfellan gets a typical secondary bite attack.

Morph Bark
2012-06-10, 06:30 PM
The only thing "wrong" is that they have the same stat modifiers, which, while fitting for both races, makes me hope there are plenty other races with other modifiers, since those rather push a race into a certain direction (in this case, divine casters and possibly monks).

Also, pandas aren't bears? D:

Andion Isurand
2012-06-10, 06:43 PM
Not sure where I read it, but I believe fast healing doesn't function for a creature with less than 1 hit point. If that's the case, I'd rather have Naaru's gift work like magical healing. Plus for creatures who already have fast healing, I would want Naaru's Gift to stack.

-------------------

In World of Warcraft
the base attributes for the Humans are:
20 strength 20 agility 20 stamina 20 intellect and 20 spirit
the base attributes for the Draenei are:
21 strength 17 agility 19 stamina 21 intellect and 22 spirit
the base attributes for the Pandaren are:
20 strength 18 agility 21 stamina 19 intellect and 22 spirit

...hence their ability modifiers. For the Man'ari eredar, I gave Charisma the boost given the prevalence of warlocks and mages in their ranks.

-------------------

Seems my understanding is outdated... pandas are now classified as bears, and are not placed with the racoons.

Sir Swindle89
2012-06-11, 08:47 AM
Seems my understanding is outdated... pandas are now classified as bears, and are not placed with the racoons.

If it makes you feel better Koalas still aren't bears and unless significant changes to the way Taxonomy works are made they never will be.

Andion Isurand
2012-06-18, 05:52 PM
Made a few small updates to the races, hoping they still fit within an LA of +0.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-18, 06:01 PM
Not sure where I read it, but I believe fast healing doesn't function for a creature with less than 1 hit point. If that's the case, I'd rather have Naaru's gift work like magical healing.

That's a 3.0 thing as far as I'm aware.

Plus for creatures who already have fast healing, I would want Naaru's Gift to stack.

That is an actual issue though.

Theroc
2012-06-18, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know of a +0 LA race with natural weapons?

Kenku from MM3 I believe. Two 1d3 claw attacks IIRC.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-18, 07:12 PM
Kenku from MM3 I believe. Two 1d3 claw attacks IIRC.

And Kobolds.

Sir Swindle89
2012-06-19, 09:11 AM
And unarmed strikes?