PDA

View Full Version : Regaining lost spellcasting

TheLooker
2012-06-10, 05:58 PM
I was wondering if there was a way for me to regain lost spell-casting progression through feats or prestige classes ect.? For example, going into a prestige class (such as the Dread Witch or Palemaster) that has no spell-casting the first level and then somehow regaining that lost progression? I know it sound ridiculous, but I was simply wondering if there was something out there.

Snowbluff
2012-06-10, 06:13 PM
Greater Dragonic Rite, White Dragonspawn if you are not a Kobold. The consensus seems to be it's cheesy, but less cheesy when used to cover empty levels.

BIGMamaSloth
2012-06-10, 06:15 PM
not exactly what you are looking for but the feats practised spellcaster and practised manifester will regain your lost caster levels or manifester levels, but won't give you the spells known/ spell per day of the class.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-10, 07:39 PM
White Dragonspawn if you are not a Kobold.
While White Dragonspawn (Bestiary of Krynn, Revised, pages 44-45) is a powerful template, I don't see that it helps all that much strictly from a spellcasting perspective. If you're a pure Sorcerer you'll benefit from the +1 effective Sorcerer level from the template ─ but you'll also acquire +1 level adjustment. If you acquire the template before class level 3 you can use the LA buyoff schedule at that class level, but if you acquire the template later you'll be stuck with the LA.

TheLooker
2012-06-10, 08:15 PM
Greater Dragonic Rite, White Dragonspawn if you are not a Kobold. The consensus seems to be it's cheesy, but less cheesy when used to cover empty levels.

Is there a way to do it without being a kobold or dragon-blooded or whatever? Thanks for the reply.

Flickerdart
2012-06-10, 08:35 PM
The usual way is by using fast-progression classes (Apostle of Peace, Divine Crusader, Ur-Priest or Sublime Chord) to progress spellcasting, so that you can still get 9th level spells despite losing many CLs. For best results, slot your lost CL levels before you take any levels in these classes.

The Ardent (Complete Psionic) is a manifesting class that doesn't have a "maximum power level known" table, only a restriction that they must learn powers they can manifest (which usually means that they have a PP cost less than your ML). As a result, as long as you have the ML (from, say, Practiced Manifester) you can get powers (but not PP) with Ardent/PrC levels as though you hadn't skipped any. This obviously is psionics only, and doesn't work for magic.