PDA

View Full Version : An Earthlike World with history inspired nations

MrBanana
2012-06-10, 09:52 PM
Don't have a name for this world yet. Probably something working with Terra or Gaia would be good.

So, Terra (I'll call it that for now) is a fantastical world, with all of the races and magic of the standard D&D setting. However, the human nations all have historical counter parts from real cultures of Earth.

What does this entail? I'm thinking early feudal Japan, Greek city states, upstart Norse kingdoms, a massive Sassanid (Persia before Islam, after Alexander) empire, Zulus... lots of human nations coexisting. There will be some technology gaps, but those can be explained.

The main changes to the game for this setting will be the class dynamics and variety. Some will be entirely new, such as the hoplite or nomad classes. Some will be simply retooled and reflavoured (Samurai, Ninjas, and Paladins). Others will be a "flavour" class or subclass; for example, there will be a base class called Marksmen, but a player can be a Yeoman, a Marksmen from Avalon who gets PC capabilities.

You see, my idea is to make your character homeland a much bigger factor. I might split Common into different languages, or at least dialects (these would give you bonuses or penalties on communication skills). Also, for example, hoplites would have to be from Hellens, and a PC hoplite would choose a home city that would give them special benefits.

That's a subclass. The Viking class (inspired by the Barbarian but not the same thing) would have two subclasses that provide different bonuses. The Voyager subclass would give bonuses on Survival and charisma skills (as well as a charisma bonus) while the Berserker subclass would gain the ability berserk state similar to rage, but one that grants different bonuses depending on his deity.

One thing I'm going to try to do is boost fighting characters. In this system, I see groups of 5 having two spell casters, a Rogue, and two fighting characters. Within the fighting archetype, I also plan on splitting them up into 3 main groups: offensive, defensive, and ranged.

Ranged weapons would be made less accessible - so a Yeoman and a Viking wouldn't have more or less the same equipment. The Yeoman would get the longbow as their class weapon (sort of like exotic weapons) while the Viking would get the greataxe. An edit of the weapon selection will also be made.

So, I'm going to post class stuff here first.

Omeganaut
2012-06-11, 11:51 AM
You should make a finalized list of cultures to include. I'd suggest including at least one if not two based on indiginous native americans, like the warlike Aztecs, bureaucratic Inca, industrial Mayans, or the moundbuilders of the Mississippi. Other possibilities include horsemen such as the Huns or Mongols, Indians with a caste system and strict beliefs, or Mali-esque tribesman united by religion and a king, protected by deserts.

Ponderthought
2012-06-11, 02:08 PM
This is an interesting idea. Im kind of doing something similar over in my thread, though it's more like taking inspiration from many different cultures to create new ones.

MrBanana
2012-06-11, 07:46 PM
You should make a finalized list of cultures to include. I'd suggest including at least one if not two based on indiginous native americans, like the warlike Aztecs, bureaucratic Inca, industrial Mayans, or the moundbuilders of the Mississippi. Other possibilities include horsemen such as the Huns or Mongols, Indians with a caste system and strict beliefs, or Mali-esque tribesman united by religion and a king, protected by deserts.

I'm debating whether to include Native American civilizations - I want to stick to an old world central continent. Plus, with other species populating Terra, it's going to be crowded. If I do have another continent, I'll probably include a Mayan/Aztec hybrid, maybe an Inca, and plains tribe. An Iroquois equivalent will probably on in the Old World - maybe living in the same forests that also hold the elves.

The culture list will come later - right now I want the core changes to the game (equipment, classes) made.

The first class I'll post is the hoplite class. It was my first idea, and uses lot of my new ideas.

the_david
2012-06-11, 11:57 PM
You could do what Gygax did:

"By the way, action takes place on Yarth, a place somewhat similar to Oerth, the setting of Greyhawk, et al. It has fewer magical properties than Oerth but more than Earth. It is not impossible that additional works will be contracted for in months to come, action being set on Yarth or perhaps another alternate world, Aerth. On Earth, magic is virtually non-existent. On Uerth, dweomers are weak, chancy things. Yarth has a sprinkling of things magical, and Oerth is pure magic."

MrBanana
2012-06-12, 02:42 PM
You could do what Gygax did:

"By the way, action takes place on Yarth, a place somewhat similar to Oerth, the setting of Greyhawk, et al. It has fewer magical properties than Oerth but more than Earth. It is not impossible that additional works will be contracted for in months to come, action being set on Yarth or perhaps another alternate world, Aerth. On Earth, magic is virtually non-existent. On Uerth, dweomers are weak, chancy things. Yarth has a sprinkling of things magical, and Oerth is pure magic."

I'm still not sure about the levels of magic. Other then nerfing spellcasters. That is guaranteed.

The Hoplite

Alignment: Any
Starting Age: Simple
Sub-classes: Laekonic, Attikan, Aelympic

Base Attack Bonus: Maximum
Hit Dice: d10
Saving Throws: Will be developed later
Skills: 2 + int, +x4 at first level
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Sailing (new skill), Swim

Equipment Proficiency:
Proficient with all simple weapons, martial thrown, shields, and armour except heavy. Hoplites are proficient with short swords, Laekonic hoplites may not use bows. Hoplite are also proficient with the hoplite shield.

Universal Class Features:
Shield Mastery (Ex): All hoplites are masters of the shield. At level 1, hoplite wielding a shield gains +1 shield bonus to AC. This bonus increases every 5 levels after 1.
Improved Shield Bash: At level 2, all hoplites receive Improved Shield Bash.
Great Charge: A hoplite wearing medium armour incurs no penalties to movement speed when running.

Sub-class: Laekonic Hoplite
A Laekoni hoplite at level 1 receives +1 CON. No bonus if multiclassed.

Endurance: A Laekonic hoplite automatically gains the Endurance feat at level one, and at level 8 receives the Die-Hard feat.

Grapple Training: At level 3 and every three levels after, a Laekonic hoplite gains a +1 bonus to grapple checks.

Shield Bash Mastery: At level 5, a Laekonic hoplite adds another d4 to his shield bash damage. This ability stacks every 5 levels.

Laekonic Speech: At level 9, a Laekonic hoplite can take a standard action to scream, whisper, and talk in any other way. The speech must be very brief and terse. The DM decides if the line was Laconic enough (read about Laconic humour). If so, then all allies who heard the line receive a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls, attack damage, skill checks, and saving throws for 4 turns. This bonus and turn limit increases by 1 every three levels.

Bonus Feat: At level 4, 7, 11, 15, and 19 a Laekonic hoplite receives a bonus feat from the fighter bonus feat list.

Shock: At level 10, all enemies must make a will save against a Laekonic hoplite's intimidate check or lose -2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, and damge.

Sub-class: Attikan
An Attikan hoplite can receive a +1 bonus to INT, WIS, or CHA at level 1. No bonus if multiclassed.

Education: An Attikan hoplite receives Diplomacy and knowledge in Arcana, Architecture, and History as class skills. He also receives 2 skills point in one of these knowledge skills.

School of Knowledge: An Attikan hoplite may pick a school of knowledge at level 1, such as Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Philosophy, or History. Their study will give bonuses. (this feature is not complete)

Spells: At level 4, an Attikan hoplite can cast a limited amount of arcane spells. An Attikan hoplite's caster level is a third of their hoplite level, and they receive bonus equal to their INT bonus. His spells known start at 2 at level 4, with an increase to a max of 4 every two hoplite levels. To cast a spell, he must his INT score match the spell level + 10.

An Attikan hoplite at level 4 must pick a school of arcane magic. The spells an Attikan hoplite knows must be from this school.

Sub-class: Aelympian
An Aelympian hoplite receives a +1 bonus DEX. No bonus if multiclassed.

Athletics: +2 on jump, swim, climb, balance, and tumble. Gains grapple bonuses at level 1 and every third level. Balance is a class skill.

Religious Piety: Knowledge of religion is a class skill. Deities are more favourable, and an Aelympian hoplite may use a religious item if he can recognize the deity's legitimacy.

Spells: At level 4, an Aelympian hoplite can cast a limited amount of divine spells. These spells use the Cleric spell list and WIS as the key stat. The hoplite's caster level is one third of his hoplite level.

Info about the Greek region, cities, the hoplite shield, and religion later.

Comments
So the hoplite is part of the defensive archetype that I;m introducing, along with the ranged archetype. The Viking below is the standard, damage oriented fighting class. The idea is that a 5 member team with two fighting characters can diversify to suit more situations. The Attikan hoplite can use illusions, for example, to trick enemies. The Aelympian hoplite may heal or buff his allies,a nd the Laekonic hoplite, well, kicks ass.

If you didn't pick up, the hoplite is stylized like the hoplite soldier of phalanx warfare of Ancient Greece. The three cities are inspired by Athens, Sparta, and Olympus (though I had to create a lot without historical basis). The idea is a hoplite from each city will have grown up in very different settings, so they would have different abilities. The different abilities were to diversify the class a bit more, so a hoplite could either partially fill in one of the two magic roles or become an even stronger fighter.

MrBanana
2012-06-14, 12:26 PM
Hellena

Hellena is a land inspired by Ancient Greece. It lies on a mountainous penisula in the south end of the Western Continent. It ha been isolated for the last 150 years from the western kingdoms by the Orcs' move into the lands north of Hellene.

While weapon technology has stagnated, Attika, the main city in the region located strtegically in the center of the penisula, is still an advanced and progressive city. Attika is frequently at war with Lakona, the city further west and south. Attikan men and women are well educated and have many carer opportunities.

Lakona is city of warriors. Using slave labour to produce food, free Lakonic men spend their youth trining for war, and most of their adulthood fighting in war. These two large cities hold power over the smaller cities through alliances, embargoes, and violence.

Aelympia is an inland city in the north that has avoided the frequent war because of its religious importance. Every four years, war is stoped to send young men to Aelympia to honour the gods in fierce competition. The strongest, fastest, and toughest Aelympian men train for years to represent their home city - Aelympia is always a strong team. Aelympia is also respected as neutral because of its strategic importance - it lies on a key route into Hellena, so keeping the Orcs at bay requires a strong, fortified city. Many poor Heleens travel to Aelympia to join the military and protect the civilization.

MrBanana
2012-06-14, 05:35 PM
The Viking

Alignment: Any nonlawful
Sub-class: Berserker, Voyager (chosen at level 4 at no cost or restriction)

Hit Dice: d12
Saving Throws: To be developed (will be Fort-heavy)
Skills: 4 + INT modifier, x4 first level
Class Skills: Climb, Craft (free point in smithing), Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, Sailing, Survival, Swim

Equipment Proficiency:
All simple and martial melee weapons, all shields, all thrown weapons, all armour except heavy armour. Has access to the Greataxe (identical to 3.5 greataxe) class weapon. A Viking also has access to short and medium bows.

Universal Features:
Sailing Mastery: All Vikings receive a skill points in Sailing at level one and every other level after that.

Hardy: All Vikings get +5 to survival checks to avoid consequences of weather. Also, Vikings receive 2 skills point in Survival at level 1.

Fearless: All Vikings get +2 to saving throws against fear. Add one point to this ability at level 3, and every third level after. At level 6, allies within 10 feet get this bonus -2.

Religion of War: At level 1, a VIking gains Weapon Focus with their deity's favoured weapon. At level 5 they receive Weapon specialization with that weapon.

Subclass: Berserker
A Berserk without any level in another class gains +1 STR.

Berserk: Similar to rage, a Berserker can fly into a divine inspired frenzy. In this frenzy, he gains +4 STR and CON and +2 to Will saves, as well as any extra bonuses his preferred deity confers (for example, Odin grants an additional +2 STR, +2 CON, and +2 to will saves). The base berserk bonus increase one point every four levels, capping at +5 at level 20. While berserk, a Viking can not use any skills other then Jump, Balance, Climb, Swim, Intimidate, Ride, and Escape Artist. His land speed is boosted by 10 feet.

One with Nature: +2 to knowledge of nature, +2 to Handle Animal checks, 1 free skill point in Survival.

Divine Inspiration: A Berseker gains +1 morale bonus (increasing every three levels) when battle enemies their god is alignment opposed to. Once per day, a Berserker can add their charisma bonus to attack rolls and damage. This bonus is doubled against enemies their god is against.

A Berserk also receive +1 bonus with is preferred god's favourite weapon.

Sub-class: Voyager
A Voyager automatically gains +1 CHA.

Skilled Warrior: At level 4 and every 4th level after a Voyager receives a bonus feat from the fighter bonus feat list.

Master of the Sea: Voyagers automatically have the highest sailing skill possible. The Voyager at level 4 receives 3 points to max his Sailing skills, and these points can be spent on other skills if they overflow.

Inspiring Leader: Once per day, a Voyager can inspire his allies for (1+CHA mod) turns. Inspired units gain +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and damages, save throws, and AC. To gain these bonuses, they must hear the Viking speak for one standard action. These bonuses and the turn limit improve by 1 every four levels.

Trade: A Voyager gains more money for selling objects, and buys for less. Also, at level 5, a Voyager gains +2 competency to Diplomacy checks. This bonus stacks every three levels.

Explorer: At level 6, a Voyager begins understanding new places at a faster rate then others. A Voyager may make a knowledge (nature or history, depending on the location) check to reveal something about the place he is in. This works similar to a Bardic knowledge check.

Adaptive: A Voyager may learn to use an obtained exotic weapon. The penalty for a Voyager using an exotic weapon (or a class weapon if a member of the party is of the class) is -3 instead of four, and every third successful hit this penalty drops by one. When the penalty turns 0 the Voyager gains the proficiency feat for the weapon.

Fluff

Vikings come from the Northern kingdoms of the Western Continent. They are fierce warriors (some men are trained from fights with Orcs), and many have committed to a life of adventure, whether it be raiding, trading, or exploring. These men are skilled craftsmen. Almost all Vikings (other then the Pelor converts) believe in the Skandic pantheon, with each village often having a preferred god.

The Skandic lands are split into three human kingdoms, one dwarf kingdom in the mountains, and an orc cheifdom in the east. The human kingdoms occupy two peninsulas (they're oriented similar to Scandinavia). The dwarves have lived in SKandia for ages, and the two races get along quite well. They often must team up to fight Orc invasions, which are frequent. This makes Skandic men and women fearsome warriors, as they must constantly protect their homes. Recently, they have started going on the offencive, burning Orc villages. A war is brewing in Orc lands, and the human kingdoms must set aside their conflicts to survive. The dwarves have discovered something in the mountains that may be able to turn the tables on the Orc onslaught (plot hook).

Comments
The Viking class is an offence based class, with its access to a good selection of weapons including the greataxe. The access to bows is realistic and to give them some ranged ability too. The Berserker is similar to the barbarian class, while the Voyager is new. The Berserker is for groups of 5+ that could have an offencive and defencive or ranged fighter (no longer a class, so I'll use it for all three archetypes). The Voyager is designed to be the leader of a group, and I had a group of 4 players with no bard or charisma man around in mind.

Skandia is inspired by pre-Christian Scandinavia. The Norse pantheon is present here - I'm trying to use actual gods. Although Vikings are quite a common fixture of D&D settings, I want to depict them as accurate as possible, so the kingdoms will have some sophistication (for example, cleanliness is more important then in the kingdoms to the South) and raiders won't always be the mass murderers that biased sources often wrote during the Viking age.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-06-18, 09:57 AM
Typically if I have 2 working ideas for names, I combine them or rearrange their letters (maybe add a few that might help) and see if there's anything usable. So with Terra and Gaia, you could do:

Teria
Gaius
Eralei

So on. I usually add and subtract letters until I get something I like.

As for borrowed cultures, it looks like you're making nods to the actual cultures in naming things, or is this more like an "alternate earth" idea, so many of the names are like this because of that? It's often interesting to think about what a culture would be like with a convergence of two well known cultures such as Incan Samauri, or Greek Eskimos. Don't be afraid to create something new based on the research you are doing for each culture! It often makes the cultures facinating to reader and gives you much more to work with creatively.

MrBanana
2012-06-21, 10:32 AM
Typically if I have 2 working ideas for names, I combine them or rearrange their letters (maybe add a few that might help) and see if there's anything usable. So with Terra and Gaia, you could do:

Teria
Gaius
Eralei

So on. I usually add and subtract letters until I get something I like.

As for borrowed cultures, it looks like you're making nods to the actual cultures in naming things, or is this more like an "alternate earth" idea, so many of the names are like this because of that? It's often interesting to think about what a culture would be like with a convergence of two well known cultures such as Incan Samauri, or Greek Eskimos. Don't be afraid to create something new based on the research you are doing for each culture! It often makes the cultures facinating to reader and gives you much more to work with creatively.

I like Gaius and Teria, maybe I'll use them Ad yes, I am making nods to the actual cultures, especially in the naming. I don't really feel like combining cultures, though; too much guesswork as to which elements of one would go and which ones would stay. I'll change them if it makes for easier playing or something more realistic or more interesting. For example, the Samurai won't always restricted to lord, and they'll be much less romanticized like they are now).

Though I might mix similar cultures to simplify the world - I feel Mongolian and Siberian could be conglomerated.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-06-21, 10:41 AM
I like Gaius and Teria, maybe I'll use them Ad yes, I am making nods to the actual cultures, especially in the naming. I don't really feel like combining cultures, though; too much guesswork as to which elements of one would go and which ones would stay. I'll change them (for example, the Samurai won't always restricted to lord, and they'll be much less romanticized like they are now).

Though I might mix similar cultures to simplify the world - I feel Mongolian and Siberian could be conglomerated.

Yeah, I didn't give very good examples, but I understand. Just throwing it out there. Many cutures are derived from root areas, such as mongolian and siberian originating from a similar ancestor if you trace back far enough, so it would make sense if you combined and took what you like from them.

Glad I could throw out some names you liked!

Thinker
2012-06-21, 10:53 AM
Instead of making a ton of all new base classes, you could repurpose the bloodline rules from Unearthed Arcana to work as backgrounds for your civilizations. Why make a whole new base class when you could make a Hoplite background/bloodline that requires the base class Fighter? It avoids the annoyance of having to create complex sub-classes and what not, as bloodlines have multiple types built-in.

MrBanana
2012-06-21, 11:01 AM
Instead of making a ton of all new base classes, you could repurpose the bloodline rules from Unearthed Arcana to work as backgrounds for your civilizations. Why make a whole new base class when you could make a Hoplite background/bloodline that requires the base class Fighter? It avoids the annoyance of having to create complex sub-classes and what not, as bloodlines have multiple types built-in.

The sub-classes aren't too complex. I think the Hoplite branch might be the most complex it will get. And bloodlines isn't quite what I'm going for - it isn't your family, but where you grew up. A son of two ninjas could grow up to be a Order Knight if he grows up in a western kingdom.

The next post is going to have the Samurai information next, so stay tuned later today.

MrBanana
2012-06-21, 11:02 AM
The Samurai
Alignment: Any non-chaotic
Sub-class: Ronin (conditions explained below in subclass description)

Hit Dice: d10
Savings Throws: Will be quite balanced
Skills: 3 + INT, x4 at class level
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Knowledge (nobility and royalty, history), Intimidate, Perform (Oratory or Act) Ride, Swim

Equipment Proficiency:
All simple and martial melee weapons, all ranged weapons, and all armour. A Samurai can not use a shield, unless they have become a Ronin. hey also receive katanas, yumi bows, and naginatas as class weapons (though they may only start with one, and obtaining them is more difficult than regular weapons).

Class Features:
A Samurai receives +1 to DEX, CON, or CHA at level 1.

Napporan Weapon Mastery: At level 1, a Samurai may pick one of the three class weapons and receive the Weapon Focus feat for that weapon. At level 3, they receive the Weapon Specialization feat for the same weapon. At level 5, a Samurai may pick a second class weapon to receive a Weapon Focus feat in. At level 7, he receives Weapon Specialization in this weapon At level 9, he receives Weapon Focus in the last remaining class weapon, and at level 9 receives Weapon Specialization in this weapon.

Noble Sensibility: A Samurai gains a +2 competency bonus to diplomacy checks at level 1, and gains +1 additional bonus points every 2 levels. This bonus applies only when dealing with people of authority or high social standing.

Cultured: At level 2, a Samurai may pick one Perform skill to receive +2 competency bonus and a skill rank in at level 1. At level four and every three levels after a Samurai may pick another Perform skill to apply this to.

Concentrated Strike: At level 3, a samurai can make a concentration check of DC15 before attacking. If he succeeds, that round he receives +2 bonus on attack rolls and an extra number to the threat range (so, 19-20 becomes 18-20). Every three levels, this bonus increases by 2, but to get the extra bonus the check must be passed by at least 5 for each +2. The attack also does +1 damage, and this bonus increases every four levels also. This ability may be used once per encounter at level 3, twice at level 6, and so on.

Zen Philosophy: At level 4, a Samurai receives +2 morale bonus to Will saves affect from emotion or mind-control effects.

Glorious Warrior: At level 10, all allies in the Samurai's party receives +2 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls.

Sub-class: Ronin

A Samurai who breaches the code of conduct (work in progress) for Samurai becomes a Ronin. A Ronin loses Noble Sensibility, Cultured, and Zen Philosophy as class features. However, a Ronin receives 5 points in Intimidate, which can be spent in other skills if Intimidate is maxed before all 5 points are spent. A Ronin may also use shields or any other weapons previously unavailable.

Fearsome: Any enemy encountering a Ronin must make a Will save against the Ronin's Intimidate check or be demoralized (status effect, will be explained later).

Katana (Class Two-Handed Melee)
2d6, 19-20 x2, 8lb

Naginata (Class Two-Handed Melee, Reach)
1d12, x3, 12lb, 10ft reach

Yumi (Class Range)
1d10, x3, 4lb, 100ft. Adds +1 damage for every 3 points of attack bonus the user has. The yumi bow is shaped asymmetrically, so the Ride check needed to balance and shoot is smaller by 1.

Comments
I've shaped the Samurai into a leadership class. The diplomacy boost should be useful, and I'm sure players could get creative with the performance boost as well. I've given the Samurai abilities similar but weaker than the Monk's. The three weapons are stronger than they look - two handed weapons (except polearms) are much more scarce. I'll write more about the code later, along with info about the land of Napporo.

MrBanana
2012-06-21, 11:09 AM
The Marksman
Sub-class: Yeoman

Base Attack Bonus: Rogue progression (full for Yeoman)
Hit Dice: d8
Saving Throws: TBA
Skills: 3 + INT, x4 at the first level
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot

Equipment Proficiency:
All simple weapons, short swords, all ranged weapons, all thrown weapons. Light armour and non-tower shields only.

Crack Shot: Once per day, a Marksman may add their DEX bonus to damage rolls with a ranged weapon, and increase their threat range by half their DEX bonus. This must be announced before the attack roll, and if the shot misses the ability is still spent. At level 4 and every three levels after a Marksman may use this ability an additional time every day.

Sub-class: The Yeoman

The Yeoman is a PC only subclass of Marksman, which is an NPC class. The Yeoman receives a +1 bonus to CON or WIS at level 1. As usual, this bonus can not be gained by character already with levels in another class. The Yeoman receives 4 skill points every level, instead of 3. The Yeoman receives Craft (bowmaking), Survival, and Handle Animal as class skills, and one point in this Craft skill.

The Yeoman receives the Longbow as a class weapon, and is also proficient with martial melee weapons and medium armour.

Wilderness Knowledge: At level a Yeoman gain Track as a bonus feat. At level 7 he gains the Swift Tracker ability.

At level 6, a Yeoman gains the Woodland Stride ability.

Longbow Mastery: At level 1 a Yeoman receives Weapon Focus with the longbow. At level 4 he receives Weapon Specialization with the weapon. At level 8 he gains Greater Weapon Focus with the longbow, and at level 12 he receives Greater Weapon Specialization.

Archery Expert: At level 2, a Yeoman may choose a bonus feat from the Point Blank Shot tree even if he does not have the prerequisites. At level 6 and every four levels, a Yeoman may choose another feat from this list.

Throw Weapon Mastery: At level 3, a Yeoman may choose one type of thrown weapon and receive Weapon Focus for that weapon. At level 7 they receive Weapon Specialization in this weapon. At level 11 they receive Greater Weapon Focus, and at level 15 they gain Greater Weapon Specialization.

Professional: At level 5, a Yeoman gains Endurance as a bonus feat. At level 6, a Yeoman may start using an exotic weapon or a class weapon of another member of the party at a -3 penalty, learning to use it similar to the Voyager.

The Longbow: Class Ranged, 1d10, 120ft, 10gp, extra damage like the yumi's.

Avalon

Avalon is a kingdom in the Northwest of the Western Kingdom. It's based on feudal England. The "Great Agreement" has given the more wealthy farmers great freedom. One of the key rights given is the right to hunt, an ancient Avalonian tradition made hard to follow during the first centuries of the kingdom, which was founded after the invasion and ascension to the throne of Billen the Conqueror. This hunting makes he yeoman formidable archers. Many yeoman choose to join the army, where they are paid regularly. While Avalon doesn't have quite as large a nobility to field heavy cavalry from, their professional infantry (particularly the archers) ar a force to be reckoned with.

Thinker
2012-06-21, 11:51 AM
The sub-classes aren't too complex. I think the Hoplite branch might be the most complex it will get. And bloodlines isn't quite what I'm going for - it isn't your family, but where you grew up. A son of two ninjas could grow up to be a Order Knight if he grows up in a western kingdom.

The next post is going to have the Samurai information next, so stay tuned later today.

The idea would be to reflavor the bloodlines as backgrounds, not to use them exactly as the bloodlines presented. With the number of cultures you have, you will be making a lot of fairly similar classes and a lot of subclasses. More power to you if you have the time for such a thing, but it largely seems unnecessary.

MrBanana
2012-06-21, 12:01 PM
The idea would be to reflavor the bloodlines as backgrounds, not to use them exactly as the bloodlines presented. With the number of cultures you have, you will be making a lot of fairly similar classes and a lot of subclasses. More power to you if you have the time for such a thing, but it largely seems unnecessary.

Not all cultures will have a specific class, actually. Like, the Nomad class will have three sub-classes for three different cultures, but they'll be simple differences. It won't be too much work.

MrBanana
2012-06-26, 03:07 PM
Weapons

So one of the biggest differences I'm making is in the weapon system. Part of the diversification of fighter class is limiting their equipment to form more defined roles. While before a Ranger with archery style was a good archer, a Fighter with good DEX could take an archery feat or two and fill the same role. With the new limitations, not only does it flavour the class a bit more, but it also encourages having two fighting characters.

So, here's how it'd work:

Simple weapons are more or less the same. Might add some.

Martial melee weapons are reduced in number. The two handed weapons are mostly made exotic or class weapons. The greataxe is a class weapon for Vikings, while the greatsword will be one of the Knight's class weapons.

There are now three levels of bows: short bows (1d6) offer the best for shooting from a horse and other difficult situations; war bows (1d8) are the standard weapon for normal archery and offer better range than short bows; longbows and yumi bows are class weapons for the Yeoman and Samurai respectively, and offer the best damage and range possible.

Crossbows will also have three levels, with a steel-enforced crossbow (arbalests) being an exotic weapon with higher range and 1d12 damage. I'm not sure who will use this weapon.

Weapons would be easier and harder to use on horseback - a short bows is easier to use then a war bow, and a lance is easier t o use then a great axe. Each weapon will have a ride difficulty penalty.

MrBanana
2012-07-28, 10:19 PM
So I'm going to post some more classes for this project soon, haven't done anything recently. Upcoming are Shamans (with a Druid sub-class), Knights (Cavaliers and Paladins), and Priests. The religion of Terra will be fleshed out.

Also, I have an origin story and the arrangement of the four continents thought up. So expect more from this thread in the future.

MrBanana
2012-08-09, 11:05 AM
The Shaman

Starting Age: Complex
Sub-class: Druid

BAB: Medium
Hit Dice: d8
Saving Throws: Under work
Skills: 3+int, 4x at first level
Class Skills: Concentration, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (nature and religion), Ride or Sailing (depends on birthplace), Survival, Swim

Equipment proficiency:
Simple weapons and light armour.

Spells: The Shaman casts their spells like the 3.5 Cleric does. Their magic is similar, but will have more nature oriented spells and less "heaven" spells like Protection from Evil.

Shamanic Ritual: At level 1, a Shaman can perform a ritual when certain conditions are met (i.e. at night, around a fire, bucket of water) that could grant the shaman or his allies buffs, money, equipment, knowledge, or something else beneficial,. It could also change the environment, curse an enemy, or even summon a monster. The Shaman's ritual power improve over time.

Sub-class: Druid

The Druid is essentially the 3.5 class. They can't use metal armour, get the animal companion and wild shape (though they won't be so strong). Their magic is a little more restricted.

The Druid must be from certain places on the western edge of the Western continent (Avalon, Eyre, Gallia; or England, Ireland, and France). This coincides with the Celtic religion, what druids are based on.

Comments

So the Shaman will be the divine caster class for areas where polytheism is still dominant (the Viking lands, the nomadic areas, Nappara), while the Priest class will be for places where monotheism is dominant. Shamanism is highly suspected in these areas. The Druid is really for people who love the class, and is my nod to Celtic religion.