PDA

View Full Version : Notes to Players

vartan
2012-06-11, 03:47 PM
I have 100 index cards and an index card holder with dividers. I was considering doing this:
Filling out a series of index cards with the typical results of the checks that a player makes that should yield information for his character solely. For example, I have just finished filling out responses for checks concerning all facets of the Sense Motive skill. So that when a player makes a Sense Motive against an NPC's "bluff" that player will be given a card that says either:
1) You do not detect any falsehoods in the target's statement(s). Whether this is because you failed the opposed check or because there are no falsehoods to detect- you cannot tell.
or 2) You detect some falsehoods in the target's statement(s). You may be given a follow up note that details more about this, but remember that a sufficiently bad failure on your part might have resulted in false information.

What does the Playground think about this? or have to suggest?

Mr.Moron
2012-06-11, 03:57 PM
I guess it could fit a certain play style, but it's not really the sort of thing I would pick up for my group. I'm not really in the habit of keeping any "Private Information" from players, so even if it's something only one character would know about usually all the players know about it.

This generally goes for background elements/actions, as much it does results of rolls. There is a certain level of fun to be had when a character goes back to report information something and have everyone act on it in character, when the whole group of players is well aware that the roll that got the information was botched in a huge way.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-06-11, 04:10 PM
I suppose it depends on how prone your group is to meta-play. If they can handle meta information just fine I don't see the point, but if you have an issue with it you might be on to something.

vartan
2012-06-11, 04:13 PM
I just think it makes for more interesting social situations. Like when one player declares a Sense Motive roll and gets a card stating that they detect a bluff, unless they want to be really obvious "My character calls for a party huddle!" they will have some difficulty letting the rest of the party know that they smell a pinch of bull dung without tipping off the NPC.

EDIT: And what, other than Sense Motive, has a bunch of general outcomes to be written out in advance?

erikun
2012-06-11, 05:01 PM
I think that the biggest problem is that one result seems to prompt more information from the DM, while the other one doesn't. This means that everyone at the table will know what roll is made and the end results of the roll - which seems to be what you are trying to avoid.

You could possibly avoid this with a sufficiently large number of note cards... but that would mean, like, one note card per character per enemy per possibly encountered location.

Simply handing out cards that just say "you don't notice anything strange" for failure would keep players from knowing what skill was just rolled - for times when you're rolling and handing out cards - but it ends up having the same basic effect of the DM rolling dice behind the DM screen.

vartan
2012-06-11, 10:40 PM
I did actually write up a card that basically says: This Card is Meaningless. Go ahead and read it carefully before you hand it back to the DM.

crimson77
2012-06-11, 10:43 PM
Making so many note cards seems time consuming. If you have a smart phone (that syncs to your computer), you might want to consider writing up a lot of different scenarios and then texting them to your players (while this might break the no cell phones at the table rule) it would be a way for other players to not be aware as to what is occurring (consider making a rule that all phones must be on silent - you can keep yours out in the open behind a DM screen).

DigoDragon
2012-06-12, 07:53 AM
I did actually write up a card that basically says: This Card is Meaningless. Go ahead and read it carefully before you hand it back to the DM.

I don't use notes often for my PCs, but for sessions where I desire a good mystery or foreboding atmosphere, I like to throw a few of these red herring notes to PCs along with real notes. They usually play along.

Unseenmal
2012-06-15, 09:43 AM
I've done this for Vampire the Masquerade games. We had 1 session where I didn't say a single word...simply handed notes back and forth to the players. It kept the level of intrigue high and any backstabbing/secrets were kept that way.

One of the best ones simply said "Read this note thoughtfully, look to the player to your right, look back to me and nod and smile"

But for other games, like D&D, where the level of intrigue is not too high, I usually keep the notes to a minimum. Only important information maybe but a standard skill check, no....the players should be good enough to not use OOC info to their advantage.

vartan
2012-06-15, 10:30 AM
Well for this next campaign I hope to run there might actually be a fairly decent level of intrigue.

Basically...
Nvm. Running this campaign. Players in the playground might see.

Jay R
2012-06-15, 11:28 AM
Back in 1971, there was a game called Feds 'N' Heads, published in Playboy magazine. (No, really).

One of the cards read, "Read this card carefully, smile, and put it next to your money as if it were very valuable. Actually, it is only a psychological weapon."

This card would have been worthless after the first time the group played, except for one fact. There were two other cards that were useful.

In that vein, the way to keep hidden information hidden is to routinely hand out a card that says, "Nothing apparent happens."

The advantage to keeping what one character knows secret from the other players is to give her a chance to role-play letting the others know in a crowd. If the DM gives the information to everyone, then they lose an aspect of role-playing.

Spoiler from The Court Jester:
In the movie The Court Jester, Jean tries to tell Hawkins that the king is knighting him only to kill him. She's undercover; she can't just blurt it out. The need to pass a note delays getting the information to him, with the result that his attempts to flee lead him into the knighting ceremony.
Spoiler from The Mask of Zorro:
In The Mask of Zorro, Diego needs to tell Alejandro that Rafael is leaving. By the time he get the information, he is on a dance floor and Rafael is about to leave. So Alejandro delays the exit by a showcase dance with his daughter.
Passing information while staying undercover is an interesting and tension-filled act.

Of course, if that aspect of role-playing doesn't appeal to the group, then feel free to ignore it.

vartan
2012-06-15, 10:13 PM
The advantage to keeping what one character knows secret from the other players is to give her a chance to role-play letting the others know in a crowd. If the DM gives the information to everyone, then they lose an aspect of role-playing.

My thoughts exactly.