PDA

View Full Version : Just The Spell For Tha, Lad? Betting Pool.

rewinn
2012-06-11, 04:09 PM
In 855 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0855.html) Durkon smiles at the thought of laying an ambush, and announces "I've Just The Spell For Tha, Lad".

So lay yer bets: what spell is Durkon about to attempt in support of the ambush?

The Prize would tha usual ... bragging rights.

Gift Jeraff
2012-06-11, 05:32 PM
Masked Debt Gourd.

rewinn
2012-06-11, 05:37 PM
My bet would be, assuming he has the level, Animate Objects, because all those spiky traps are just begging to be used!

NerfTW
2012-06-11, 07:50 PM
Probably whatever spell he was learning from Malak. I know the theory was that it was protection from negative energy, but it would be thematically suitable for him to unwittingly use the spell Malak taught him against Malak.

Lateral
2012-06-11, 07:55 PM
Masked Debt Gourd.
Stop the guesses, we have a winner.

coineineagh
2012-06-12, 01:10 AM
If it involves illusions (high chance of that since they're setting up an ambush), then Durkon is screwed. Tarquin has a ring for that.

Ambushes are dangerous to the ambushers if the target can see what you're doing.

Tarquin can just send in an illusion, to make the Order blow their cover. Then the exposed ambush is a sitting duck for the prepared counter-ambush.

The challenge for Tarquin, is seeing how to make his son survive the combat, without ruffling Malack's feathers again. He can't be seen to be investing any effort on protecting Elan, and must also appear to be following his 'commander's orders.
In fact, since he thinks Elan is the leader of the Order, he may actually want to see the whole Order make it through stronger, since Elan needs them to make Tarquin a legend...

Sr.medusa
2012-06-12, 04:57 AM
Silence? It's great for ambushes

Peelee
2012-06-12, 10:10 AM
Masked Debt Gourd.

And done in one. Epic win, Gift Jeraff.

orrion
2012-06-12, 11:15 AM
My bet would be, assuming he has the level, Animate Objects, because all those spiky traps are just begging to be used!

We know he has the level for that spell.

My guess is on one or more of the triggered rune spells.

Durkon has access to Symbol(s) of Persuasion, Fear, Stunning, and Weakness. Weakness is a Fortitude save, everything else is Will saves.

Bulldog Psion
2012-06-12, 02:46 PM
Masked Debt Gourd.

Bravo, bravo! :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I kind of wanted to see the Masked Debt Gourd in action, and I'm a bit sad that it didn't put in an appearance when Thor told them to send it ... :smallfrown:

Manga Shoggoth
2012-06-13, 05:00 AM
How about Sanctuary - did that get put into 3.5?

Kish
2012-06-13, 07:29 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sanctuary.htm Not quite sure how useful it would be here; Malack and Zz'dtri would still likely be able to attack Durkon freely, and Durkon wouldn't be able to attack. It wouldn't help with an ambush.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-06-13, 08:08 AM
Kish,

Thanks for the link - I'll peruse it when I get home tonight (ruddy internet filters at work...).

You may well be right - most of my gaming experience is either 1st edition (almost entirely as a fighter) or from various CRPGs. I mentioned it as the guide for the game I am replaying suggests that Sanctuary can be used in setting ambushes, but that may be a as a result of how the computer handles things. Or me misreading it, of course.

Edit: Checked my sources. Yup, it looks like a side effect of the way the CRPG is programmed - it means that the cleric can wander into a group of monsters, which will then attack him, but be unable to hit him. The cleric can then lead the monsters into a trap or ambush. We can expect at least Tarquin and Malack to be more intellegent than the average computer opponent.

Kalrany
2012-06-13, 11:10 AM
Masked Debt Gourd.

*blink*
*blink*
*blink*

you win.

Flame of Anor
2012-06-16, 02:22 PM
Forbiddance or Blade Barrier, maybe?

Gusion
2012-06-16, 02:30 PM
We know he has the level for that spell.

My guess is on one or more of the triggered rune spells.

Durkon has access to Symbol(s) of Persuasion, Fear, Stunning, and Weakness. Weakness is a Fortitude save, everything else is Will saves.

They all have 10 minute casting times, though, and it is doubtful they are that far ahead of Tarquin et. al to get it off in time.

I think Blade Barrier to separate them or a summoning spell.

137beth
2012-06-16, 11:02 PM
Something involving silence. Probably the basic spell Silence. He could cast it multiple times, to deal with its small radius.

Eigenclass
2012-06-18, 09:27 PM
Actually, SRD gives me an idea - how about summoning up a Celestial baleen whale (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterVII.htm)?

Not only could it crush or immobilize the fighters the casters with its bulk (awesome grapple check & sheer bulk), it could probably flank Nale's entire team at the same time, allowing Haley to geek the casters with sneak attacks in a couple rounds. Heck, if the icy burst rules work in OOTS-verse function like they did in the thieves guild, she could probably even immobilize Tarquin with a lucky crit.

It'd be totally rockin', because, who expects to face a whale in the middle of a desert?

edit: Okay, it's pretty stupid to grapple without improved grapple when you have the AC of the broad side of a barn, but the casters are less likely to hit on their AoO, or get through DR without magic weapons.

JaaSwb
2012-06-19, 08:34 AM
He couldn't summon a whale into an environment that is not "aquatic or watery".

kickassfrog
2012-07-06, 02:37 AM
Personally, I'd like to see him use destruction on Nale. It gets rid of him, and the only LG cleric absolutely detests the guy, so no Rez there.

Of course, it's not really Durkon's style.

Perhaps greater dispel magic, or one of the enhancement spells. Maybe mass bulls strength or mass bears endurance.

Winter
2012-07-06, 05:34 AM
I agree with "Animate Object". With all those traps, I'd be a waste to not use them - and make them attack on their own.

rgrekejin
2012-07-06, 07:31 AM
I didn't want to post to this thread since it was way down on the page, but now that someone else has brought it back up... "Antimagic Field".

coineineagh
2012-07-06, 10:29 AM
Silence? It's great for ambushes

Can he cast it on Elan as well?:smallwink:

Sr.medusa
2012-07-06, 11:50 AM
Can he cast it on Elan as well?:smallwink:

Silence is OP used that way :smallsmile:

coineineagh
2012-07-06, 07:23 PM
Since he's been travelling with :belkar:Mr. Chaotic Evil Cliche, :vaarsuvius:Longwinded Arrogant Mage, and :elan:Brain-Addled Blabbity Bard for quite some time now, I wouldn't be surprised if he has more than one casting prepared in his daily repertoire. Just in case.

Heck, even :roy:Leader Guy and :haley:Rogue Chick should shut their claps once in a while. Poor dwarf.:smallsigh:

Actually, why didn't :durkon:Grumpy the Dwarf take the time to research the spell Mass (Power Word:) Silence? It would be a much better buff for the OotS in combat, and less chance of being misheard by Thor.

Silvos4422
2012-07-07, 10:42 AM
While I agree animate object make thew most sense, especially with all of the mentioning of traps in the previous panels, and roy mentioning setting a trap, I think he will perform a stone spell, most likely shape stone.

Create a replica of the Order of the stick with shape stone for the old cast a shadow that looks like you, or stone wall to either create a dead end or split the party. But personally, I would love to see a meld into stone surprise attack.

My other thought was dissmisal on Qarr or Sabine, but since they haven't used their travel yet today, it would not delay them for long.

Forikroder
2012-07-07, 11:08 AM
While I agree animate object make thew most sense, especially with all of the mentioning of traps in the previous panels, and roy mentioning setting a trap, I think he will perform a stone spell, most likely shape stone.

Create a replica of the Order of the stick with shape stone for the old cast a shadow that looks like you, or stone wall to either create a dead end or split the party. But personally, I would love to see a meld into stone surprise attack.

My other thought was dissmisal on Qarr or Sabine, but since they haven't used their travel yet today, it would not delay them for long.

Quarr might have since he only rejoined the party recently but only getting rid of one imp isnt worth the resources

kickassfrog
2012-07-07, 11:55 AM
New idea: stone shape a pit directly under Tarquin, get to melee range with the rest of the LG (now without a strong defensive fighter), deal heavy damage, ???, profit.

Edit: perhaps Roy can wheel out his spellcaster disrupting attack for the moment.

Siosilvar
2012-07-14, 06:23 PM
Actually, why didn't :durkon:Grumpy the Dwarf take the time to research the spell Mass (Power Word:) Silence? It would be a much better buff for the OotS in combat, and less chance of being misheard by Thor.

Because Mass Silence is only useful during church service, and he hasn't attended in a while what with the adventuring and all.

Flame of Anor
2012-07-18, 01:17 AM
I think whatever it is may have just gone off.

Hopeless
2012-07-18, 05:29 AM
I think whatever it is may have just gone off.

Glyph of warding perhaps since that would explain that dotted line others have mentioned, could even have been set up to activate all of the traps behind the Lg and ahead of them given Haley is firing from what looks like a secret door.

Emperordaniel
2012-07-18, 07:42 AM
Glyph of warding perhaps since that would explain that dotted line others have mentioned, could even have been set up to activate all of the traps behind the Lg and ahead of them given Haley is firing from what looks like a secret door.

That dotted line is a saw blade or shifting wall trap. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0855.html)

Once a Fool
2012-07-18, 09:42 AM
My money is on Hide from Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideFromUndead.htm) cast on Haley (although, Durkon would have no reason not to cast it on all of them). This would allow her to sneak in among the mummies and mingle without them attacking her.

Since she has red hair, even if the LG catches a glimpse of her through the smoke (or whatever) that just went off, they probably won't be able to distinguish which one is her (especially if she has also been disguised as an undead--as looks like it might be the case. She should be able to sneak attack over and over again.

Chessgeek
2012-07-18, 10:46 AM
My money is on Hide from Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideFromUndead.htm) cast on Haley (although, Durkon would have no reason not to cast it on all of them). This would allow her to sneak in among the mummies and mingle without them attacking her.

Interesting idea, although why he would prepare the spell is beyond me.
I'll guess Anti-Magic Field.

Gift Jeraff
2012-07-18, 12:30 PM

Since she has red hair, even if the LG catches a glimpse of her through the smoke (or whatever) that just went off, they probably won't be able to distinguish which one is her (especially if she has also been disguised as an undead--as looks like it might be the case. She should be able to sneak attack over and over again.I doubt it's anything undead-related, since Durkon wouldn't have known about the mummies and the Linear Guild has never used any undead before.

Once a Fool
2012-07-18, 04:39 PM
Interesting idea, although why he would prepare the spell is beyond me.

Eh. It's a first level spell. There's almost no reason not to prepare it. Especially when they know that their primary villain (whom they are still in a race with to get to the gates) does use undead. A lot.

dtilque
2012-07-19, 10:10 PM
He couldn't summon a whale into an environment that is not "aquatic or watery".

Besides which, it could always be countered by a Summon Bigger Fish (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0033.html)...

Blisstake
2012-07-19, 10:25 PM
Masked Debt Gourd.

I'm sorry, I really don't get it. Could someone explain please?

oppyu
2012-07-19, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry, I really don't get it. Could someone explain please?

"Just send a Masked Debt Gourd and be done with it. I need to go soak my feet." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0806.html)

jonathan_sicari
2012-07-19, 10:49 PM
Thor and his divine assistants could not figure out what Durkon was saying when he prayed for Mass Death Ward. Thor said to send a Masked Debt Gourd and forget about it.

Snails
2012-07-20, 12:33 AM
I am going to be boring and offer a practical suggestion: a pair of Spell Immunity on select party members, plus Spiked Stones. It is a nice hit & run combo.

A Massive Death Worg would be pretty good here, as well.

Emperordaniel
2012-07-20, 04:07 AM
Besides which, it could always be countered by a Summon Bigger Fish (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0033.html)...

Wouldn't Summon Giant Sand Worm (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0394.html) be more appropriate, since they are in a desert? :smallwink:

Hmmm, so that was what was in that bottle Belkar believed to be "spice"... :smalltongue:

LordRahl6
2012-07-20, 03:30 PM
Well, the "Darkness" spell is clerical so Durkon could cast the supposed spell on Haley's arrow to go when it hit something (or when it was caught).:smallwink:

Edit: True, you may have me there. However Whatever is going off that was attached to the arrow may be the spell that Durkon was discussing.

dtilque
2012-07-23, 02:28 AM
Well, the "Darkness" spell is clerical so Durkon could cast the supposed spell on Haley's arrow to go when it hit something (or when it was caught).:smallwink:

But it doesn't look like a Darkness spell. Wouldn't such a spell more-or-less instantly put the area in darkness rather than have clouds of dark material come off the arrow?

WindStruck
2012-07-23, 02:47 PM
There's a ton of spells to choose from... but personally I was hoping for dismissal. I'd love to see that flying tramp effectively 1HKO'd. And if not that, blade barrier would probably be good if they could force the LG to cross it several times.

LordRahl6
2012-07-26, 09:32 AM
Well, it looks like Durkon send out the dark cloud that was on the arrow, but used it to surprise them with something else.
Namely, a teleportation spell like Shadow Step.:smalltongue:

oppyu
2012-07-26, 09:34 AM
So, I'm guessing that was the holy word that has been previously mentioned in the comic?

pendell
2012-07-26, 09:48 AM
Yup. Holy Word (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm) it was . No one guessed that, so I guess everyone gets their money back. Once again the Giant snookers us all. Since he tricked me with the decoy Xykons at the battle of Azure City, I've been respectful of his knack for pulling rabbits out of hats.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Gift Jeraff
2012-07-26, 09:59 AM
When I said "Masked Debt Gourd," I meant any of the spells mentioned in #806, so I still win. :smallamused:

Douglas
2012-07-26, 10:04 AM
Holy Word is a useful battle spell, certainly, but there's nothing special about it for laying an ambush. I think the spell in question was Meld Into Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/meldIntoStone.htm), which is how he got there without them noticing too soon.

Silvos4422
2012-07-26, 10:33 AM
Sweet, cleric sneak attack. I had so hoped that would be the case.

I can't wait to see what OOTS does with their advantage.

Winter
2012-07-26, 10:37 AM
Throwing more Smoke Sticks.

Finagle
2012-07-26, 11:43 AM
Yup. Holy Word (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm) it was . No one guessed that, so I guess everyone gets their money back. Once again the Giant snookers us all. Since he tricked me with the decoy Xykons at the battle of Azure City, I've been respectful of his knack for pulling rabbits out of hats.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
Well, was it holy word or stone shape? Because what he did would have been impossible without either of those spells. No stone shape, no sneaky move from the clanky cleric. No holy word, no explosion of fury. It's a tie?

Douglas
2012-07-26, 11:49 AM
Meld Into Stone, not Stone Shape (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13620158&postcount=101).

Considering what Stone Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneShape.htm) does, I'm surprised anyone thought that was it. Walking through a wall is not something that spell can be used for. Making an opening in the wall which you can then walk through, yes, but there is quite clearly no opening in the wall in the comic.

archon_huskie
2012-07-26, 12:56 PM

A smokestick, a nonmagical solution. clever. . .

Learuis
2012-07-26, 07:05 PM
Having Holy Word be Elan's plan doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. He came up with the plan while talking to Roy about the "hole a family member can leave behind", and I just don't see how that works out to be Holy Word, or even the stone shape/meld into stone.

I think the game is still on!

ti'esar
2012-07-26, 07:11 PM
Having Holy Word be Elan's plan doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. He came up with the plan while talking to Roy about the "hole a family member can leave behind", and I just don't see how that works out to be Holy Word, or even the stone shape/meld into stone.

I think the game is still on!

That's not what this thread is about.

(Although now for some reason I have the idea that Elan got "holy" from "hole"...)

rewinn
2012-07-26, 07:34 PM
That's not what this thread is about.

(Although now for some reason I have the idea that Elan got "holy" from "hole"...)

:durkon: Aye, laddie, I ha' told ye tha name a' tha spell aforetimes.

:elan: Haley Ward? That would be awesome!

Kish
2012-07-27, 09:07 AM
rewinn almost guessed it. Except, for some reason, he picked Dictum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13392026&postcount=141) instead of Holy Word.

rewinn
2012-07-27, 12:43 PM
rewinn almost guessed it. Except, for some reason, he picked Dictum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13392026&postcount=141) instead of Holy Word.
(takes a bow)
The explanation is simple: I screwed up :smallbiggrin: This is very common!

Fish
2012-07-27, 01:57 PM
Elan's plan may be nothing more than talking to Tarquin. If the Linear Guild is blinded and deafened around him, then he could (and they'd never know the conversation had happened).

That presumes the Order knows or suspects that "Thog" is Tarquin.

theNater
2012-07-27, 07:22 PM
Well, was it holy word or stone shape? Because what he did would have been impossible without either of those spells. No stone shape, no sneaky move from the clanky cleric. No holy word, no explosion of fury. It's a tie?
It's the Meld Into Stone. Durkon has other furious explosions(Thor's Lightning, for one), but the hiding is what makes it an ambush instead of simply an attack.

Forikroder
2012-07-27, 07:23 PM
Elan's plan may be nothing more than talking to Tarquin. If the Linear Guild is blinded and deafened around him, then he could (and they'd never know the conversation had happened).

That presumes the Order knows or suspects that "Thog" is Tarquin.

conveniently the only way they could know its Tarquin is by seeing Malack, unfortunately Malack is now behind a steel door so the order has no way of knowing its Tarquin yet

Flame of Anor
2012-07-28, 03:28 AM
conveniently the only way they could know its Tarquin is by seeing Malack, unfortunately Malack is now behind a steel door so the order has no way of knowing its Tarquin yet

Wow...that's insightful. It didn't even occur to me to wonder whether there was a reason beyond just splitting the LG.

Secris
2012-07-28, 04:00 AM
But personally, I would love to see a meld into stone surprise attack.

Silvos got it! I mean, it was with like 5 other ideas, but he still got it. Or half of it, at least.

coineineagh
2012-07-28, 08:29 PM

Durkon might wonder what Kilkil is doing there. But I think the smokescreen will prevent him from confirming that he's anything other than a random kobold..:smallwink:

EmperorSarda
2012-07-29, 08:05 AM
Durkon might wonder what Kilkil is doing there. But I think the smokescreen will prevent him from confirming that he's anything other than a random kobold..:smallwink:

Assuming Durkon can even see that it is a kobold.