PDA

View Full Version : Request fro help: Gather Info Master/Escape Artist

HolmesB
2012-06-11, 04:24 PM
I'm playing a Changling Rogue: Lvl 4: Eberron World

Idea for character. His goal is to know the answer/info that someone is going to give/answer before they know it. His favorite thing to do is say it as they are, or just before.

Also to answer the question that someone else is being asked, but I shouldn't know the answer to.

We've played 6 sessions so far and I've managed to not draw my cutlass once, which another goal is to never have to use a weapon.

Please advise on how to best re-build him to optimize. I looked at Factotum but wasn't sure I'm looking at Jarlaxle as a inspiration mainly from the info side, but also to have simple cheap magic items used oddly or for escape.

Thank you ahead of time :)

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-11, 04:56 PM
Maybe Cabinet Trickster (RoE). Nothing says answering questions before they can ask them like Detect Thoughts at-will!

Waker
2012-06-11, 06:02 PM
Maybe Cabinet Trickster (RoE). Nothing says answering questions before they can ask them like Detect Thoughts at-will!

Especially if you also take levels of Mindspy (CWar) so you can read multiple people's minds in one round.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-11, 09:35 PM
Especially if you also take levels of Mindspy (CWar) so you can read multiple people's minds in one round.

Funny enough, I've actually played this. Changeling Warblade/CT/Mindspy, with an emphasis on Diamond Mind. One of my funnest character, hands down.

HolmesB
2012-06-12, 11:51 AM
Thank you for the ideas! I didn't know those classes were out there!

Also any ideas on how to better get info? Contacts Etc....

HolmesB
2012-06-12, 02:29 PM
What would be the best progression?
1-
2-
3-
4-
ETC.....

What would come first MS? or CT?

CT reqs:
race: Changling
Skill: disguise 9 ranks
feats: Persona Immersion
Special: Complete trial assiggnment for the CoF

MT Reqs:
BAB: +3
Skills: Concen 8 ranks
Spells: able to cast detect thoughts/use detect thoughts as Spell Like

What would be the fastest/easiest way to get to this point?

Amoren
2012-06-12, 02:42 PM
The changeling rogue substitution levels might also help. I don't recall what they gave you exactly, but I believe its bonuses to social situations in return for trap sense, and base ten skill points per level plus intelligence (10x4 at first level!). This plus cabinet trickster seem perfect.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-12, 04:53 PM
The Changeling Rogue substitution levels are pretty good - the first level is fantastic for a social rogue, while the others aren't quite as tasty.

You need to grab at least a single level of CT before MS to qualify (getting Detect Thoughts 2/day @ 1st) for Mindspy.

If your DM is really picky, however, this might not work; Cabinet Trickster's Detect Thoughts is a (Su) ability, and Mindspy specifies the ability to use it as a spell or an SLA.

Progression-wise, I'd probably hit something like Changeling Rogue 6/CT 3/MS 4/CT 2/MS 1/Rogue 4.

HolmesB
2012-06-15, 09:05 AM
Here is what I've come up with (DM gave a little wiggle-room on the reqs)

1-Changeling Rogue
2-Rogue
3-Changeling Rogue
4-Cabinet Trickster

I took some flaws to get extra feats

Persona Immersion
Quick Change
Camouflage Skin *(Home brew, DM approval needed)
Changeling Dark Vision
Obsure Lore

Equip:
Ring of Trueseeing
Ring of mind sheilding
Amber Amulet of Vermin
Collar of perpetual attendance
2x anklets of Translocation
Gloves of Master strategist
Ever-full Mug
Immovable Rod
All clothes Enchanted to change as I do.

Not bad huh?

I'm very squishy if I get hit, but hopfully that won't happen.