PDA

View Full Version : (Yet Another...) Full Metal Alchemist Class for Pathfinder - PEACH

Moony--Doggy
2012-06-11, 05:48 PM
So, I've been working on my own Pathfinder setting, from building the world and religion, to figuring out which classes fit in my game easily, which classes are going to be difficult, or downright impossible. I have built a world of Industrial Revolution, with steam-powered trains and railways, magical potions that are known by brand-names, and weapons designed for magical flexibility. I did feel as though something was missing, something that would make many of the advancements easier to explain, other than just saying, "A wizard did it."
I was pondering this, when my girlfriend started an episode of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and it hit me.
Alchemy would allow people to craft the structures needed to create a stable steam engine, without completely turning away from magic, but not disregarding science either. So, without violating the feel of magic, or the Full Metal (herein referred to as FM) flavor of alchemy.

First and foremost, the Pathfinder Alchemist is renamed Apothecary, just to avoid confusion for my setting. Secondly, the Alchemist needed to be able to be a support class, or combat class. I don't have everything done, but this is the basic idea, ready to roll as soon as the Specializations (explained below) are fleshed out in the fullest. I would really appreciate some help getting this ready to play.

Intelligence is the most important stat for an Alchemist, followed by Dexterity, and Constitution in 3rd.

Alignment: Any non-chaotic (alchemy requires concentration that less controlled individuals are not capable of)
Hit Die: d8.
Starting Wealth: 5d6 x 10 gp (average 175gp) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.
Class Skills
The Alchemist’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int, Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Transmutation) (Int), Knowledge (Engineering) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Survival (Wis)
Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.
Table: Alchemist
Level BAB Fort Will Ref Save Special
1st +0 +2 +2 +0 Basic Transmutation Circle I, Alchemic Stamina, Alchemic Attack 1d6
2nd +1 3 3 0 Specialization
3rd +2 3 3 1 Basic Transmutation Circle II, Alchemic Attack 2d6
4th +3 4 4 1 Bonus Feat
5th +3 4 4 1 Basic Transmutation Circle III, Specialization
6th +4 5 5 2 Alchemic Attack 3d6
7th +5 5 5 2 Basic Transmutation Circle IV
8th +6/+1 6 6 2 Bonus Feat, Specialization
9th +6/+1 6 6 3 Alchemic Attack 4d6
10th +7/+2 7 7 3 Equivalence Unbound
11th +8/+3 7 7 3 Specialization
12th +9/+4 8 8 4 Bonus Feat, Alchemic Attack 5d6
13th +9/+4 8 8 4
14th +10/+5 9 9 4 Specialization
15th +11/+6 9 9 5 Alchemic Attack 6d6
16th +12/+7 10 10 5 Bonus Feat
17th +12/+7 10 10 5 Specialization
18th +13/+8 11 11 6 Alchemic Attack 7d6
19th +14/+9 11 11 6 Fast Alchemy
20th +15/+10/+5 12 12 6 Bonus Feat, Alchemic Truth, Specialization

Class Features
The following are class features of the Alchemist.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Alchemists are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with all small firearms. They are proficient with all light armor.

Basic Transmutation Circle
As a standard part of training, the Alchemist has drilled endlessly, drawing the basic circles, again and again, until they are perfect and second nature. Most alchemists are more than capable of producing a functional transmutation circle without even looking. The DCs shown represent the simplest tasks available at that level. The dm is within his rights at any time to name a higher DC based on the situation. If at any time the named DC is over twice the named minimum dc the task may only be attempted with a higher level circle.

I – At first level, the Alchemist knows how to craft a variety of simple transmutation circles, and can do so as a standard action during combat, although this will provoke an attack of opportunity if in melee range. This circle must of the (General) nature, with no actual specified form and function, simply transference of energy toward a non-descript goal of the alchemist’s choice, generally a basic wall, a platform or pillar, or a spike. Other possibilities include simple weapons such as daggers or spears. (DC 10, 1 Stamina)

II- At 3rd level the Alchemist knows how to craft slightly more involved constructs with his basic circle such as a cage with no doors, martial weapons, or any other moderately complex creation with no moving parts. (DC15, 2 Stamina)

III – At 5th Level, an Alchemist can produce, such as a water pump, an air-pressure cannon, or functional doors. Also available to him are slightly more complex weapons, such as whips, flails, or bows. Light Armor is also possible at this level. (DC 18, 2 Stamina)

IV – At 7th level, an Alchemist is capable of reasonably complex alchemic achievements, including disarming a simple (DC 15) lock, repairing a radio, fixing a gun, or modifying an existing object without destroying it’s entire structure (i.e., Ed’s Automail Sword) (DC 22, 4 Stamina)

V- At 9th level an alchemist gains the ability to overcome even the most difficult tasks, he may now attempt Knowledge alchemy Skill Checks at a DC over 50.

Alchemic Attack
Starting at first level, an Alchemist is capable of attacking from afar within 30ft of himself, utilizing an Advanced Transmutation Circle. It deals 1d6 of damage, and increases to 2d6 at 3rd lvl, gaining 1d6 every third level thereafter. This can be stacked with a rogue’s sneak attack, although performing alchemy does incur a perception check (DC 20). Each die of damage can be split up into an individual spike, at a -2 attack for each additional target beyond the first. Note that Alchemic Damage is also used to determine specialization damage effects, simply representing a level of control that is achieved (More control = bigger Spike/Fireball/Lightning bolt/Acid Splash, etc.)
1d6 – 1 stamina (Free at 5th lvl)
2d6 – 1 Stamina (Attack roll determines success or failure, no skill check required)
3d6 – 2 Stamina
4d6 – 2 Stamina
5d6 – 3 Stamina
6d6 – 3 Stamina
7d6 – 4 Stamina

Alchemic Stamina (Ex)
.An alchemist, no matter how talented, runs out of steam eventually. While good at what they do, alchemists can still only activate a Transmutation circle so many times per day. After the alchemist has run through his Stamina Pool, is done for the day, and requires 8 hours of rest to regain the points. A hardy meal or a healing spell restores 2 points. This pool is determined by Int+Lvl, minimum 1. 1 Stamina can be restored by incapacitating an enemy (nothing to bolster the spirit like a Victory), and by taking a 1 hour break to do nothing (no walking, no talking, no writing- Just relaxing)

Specializations
The Alchemist doesn’t stick to a general style of Alchemy forever, and eventually his style leans to one direction or another. In these areas of preference, he is more skilled than with other types of alchemy. At 2nd lvl, and every third level thereafter, an alchemist may choose a school of Alchemy to specialize in. They may progress further along a chosen school's path, or start at the first step of a new school each time this feature is gained.
Note: To take the Generalist School, you must first have at least the first step in each other school.

Bonus Feats
At 4th level, and every four levels thereafter, an Alchemist gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained by normal advancement. These bonus feats must be Alchemy feats.

Equivalence Unbound
Starting at 10th lvl, the Alchemist can make a temporary, unequivalent exchange, which is to say, turn lead into gold, or form steel from sand, or even mend a wound with no supplies (although it means taking the wound into himself at some point in time thereafter). Out of combat, the transmutation lasts for 1 hour for every two levels of Alchemist. In combat, the stress on the object is far more extreme, and lasts for 2 rounds/per alchemist level, minus four for every hour since the item’s creation. (A prime example is a man who was given an alchemical sword made from sand for a duel. Only a few strikes in, his sword failed and turned back into sand, and his opponent was accused of sabotage, when in fact, the Thieves Guild was simply hitting two birds with one stone…)

Fast Alchemy
Starting at level 19, the Alchemist begins to understand Alchemy on a level most others have never seen. Substituting somatic components for symbols, and using their own body to complete the circuit of the Transmutation Circle, the alchemist is capable of preparing complex specialization alchemy as a swift action, attacking with his Pillar/Spike and specialization damage at full BAB, without prior preparation.

Alchemic Truth
At 20th level, the Alchemist can produce any basic effect so long as they have 1 stamina remaining, and their specializations cost 2 less stamina, allowing a minimum of zero for most effects. All alchemy checks are done with a bonus equal to alchemist level, and the DC for all checks is reduced by 5, and all alchemy can be done as an Immediate action. (Capstone needs work.)

Alchemic Schools of Specialization
2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20

Engineering
Combative Alchemy
Biological
Puppetry/Control Alchemy
Generalist School

I have part of the Combat Specialization written up, shown below, but none of the actual effects or game mechanics figured out.

Combative Alchemy
Upon beginning this school path, the alchemist chooses one of the available elemental damage types, listed below(NOTE: If the alchemist does not choose the Combative Alchemy school, the alchemic attack is simply using the floor/walls/ceiling to make a spike/pillar) This damage type cannot be changed after it is chosen, however the first step can be chosen several times, each time selecting a new element.

Acid
Fire
Frost
Electric
Negative Energy (Scar's destructive Alchemy)
Sonic

Honestly, I don't know where to go from here, if anyone has suggestions, please feel free. There will of course be an Extra Stamina feat available, and I was also thinking an Amateur Alchemist feat, similar to the Amateur Gunslinger in some regards.

Welknair
2012-06-11, 08:38 PM
May I suggest making a proper table? Guide here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677). When I have time, I'll try to give this a thorough review. First impressions good.