PDA

View Full Version : Feat Dependencies & Leveling

Ghodicu
2012-06-11, 06:00 PM
So I have a question that, try as I might, I can't find the answer to anywhere. When you level up, is there a hierarchy as to in which order leveling effects take place, in regards to prerequisites?
For example if a Monk at level 6 wants to take a feat that has Improved Trip as a prerequisite, like Defensive Throw, and he chooses Improved Trip as his 6th level Bonus Monk feat can he choose the Defensive Throw feat as his 6th level feat for character level, assuming he meets the other prerequisites of course?

(Wow, this sounds like text book math problem doesn't it? :smallbiggrin: )

VGLordR2
2012-06-11, 06:10 PM
With the exception of Prestige Classes, I believe that you can take any feature at the same time as you meet the requirement. For example, the Monk you described could take Defensive Throw. A Fighter 6 could take two feats, one of which is a prerequisite to the other. However, this does not work for qualifying for Prestige Classes; you cannot take a class that requires Tumble 8 ranks until sixth level (rather than fifth, when you actually have the eight ranks).

Suddo
2012-06-11, 06:12 PM
I've personally said that it happens, racial/standard bonus then class bonus. The reason I say this is that I don't think you can enter Archmage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm) as your 12th level and take your 15th rank in spellcraft and Knowledge(Arcane) while in the class. This means that you have to get the pre-req for the feat/prestige class before taking the class level.

To put it on a more complicated scale but more towards what you were asking:
A dwarf fighter at level 1 can't take:
Toughness (Fighter) and Involuntary Rage (1st level feat)
Encase you don't have Savage Species Involuntary Rage has a pre-req of Toughness (and 20 con) but is not under feats a fighter can take.

Make sense?

Edit: I'm not a hundred percent on this and have no source this is how I would rule it at my table I'd love to see a person with a quote/page#. I state this as the person above me disagrees with me.

Vladislav
2012-06-11, 06:15 PM
Actually, we can't quote this here, since information about creating and leveling characters is not part of the OGL.

Suddo
2012-06-11, 06:51 PM
Actually, we can't quote this here, since information about creating and leveling characters is not part of the OGL.

That's why I said a page number would be another way of doing it. You can always say your reference.

Ghodicu
2012-06-11, 07:03 PM
Hm... Thanks, guys. Too bad an official source that says one way or another seems somewhat elusive.

Venusaur
2012-06-11, 07:10 PM
Page 58&59 of the PHB. And no, you can't.