PDA

View Full Version : What Magic item would you choose for yourself?

Wookie-ranger
2012-06-11, 10:47 PM
What Magic item would you choose for yourself?
I thought about this from a tread that asked "What level20 gestalt PC would you be"
What if you could choose from any magic item that was ever printed, and you would get it IRL.
This is quiet different then your normal question of "what equipment should classX have at levelY" there will be not D&D creature on this plane, and nothing can come here unless you summon it.
The magic items that you choose are for you to mess with the world as you please, you them wisely.

The rules:
Only WotC, no 3rd party.
No custom items
No epic/artifact items
No gp limit on item value.
No consumables; like ring of 3 wishes, wands, golem manuals, etc; (eternal wands are ok, as a x/day items)
You cannot make more magic items; no crafting, no duplication, etc what you choose is all you will ever get. (none-magic items are ok)
The magic items work as it would in D&D, as RAW as possible within reason, spells can be duplicated, summoned creatures appear, teleportation work, etc. (its magic it does not have to follow reality, that's the point)
No planar travel, other then ethereal, astral, shadow, and the elemental planes. You cannot bring elementals, or magical item/materials with you from there. (none magical stuff is ok), no shopping trip to Sigil; you get the idea.
You can use all those magic items; you know all command words, does not depend on class/race/alignment/etc
You are still yourself, you don't just suddenly become a level 1 wizard/druid/etc; a Perl of power would be pointless, for example.

What if you could choose only one?

What if you could fill every body slot?

Face:
Head:
Throat:
Shoulders:
Body:
Torso:
Bracers:
Hands:
Ring 1:
Ring 2:
Waist:
Rings:
Feet:
None slot 1:
None slot 2:

For reference here is the Magic Item Record Sheet:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/magicitemrecordsheet.pdf

edit: added question.

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-11, 10:50 PM
Psychoactive Skin of the Proteus.

Metamorphosing into dozens upon dozens of forms would be fun.

From SRD:

"Skin of Proteus

This psychoactive skin continually affects the wearer as the metamorphosis power. While in a form other than his natural form, the wearer does not appear to be wearing the skin.

Moderate psychometabolism; ML 7th; Craft Universal Item, metamorphosis; Price 84,000 gp; Weight 2 lb. "

Little Brother
2012-06-11, 11:03 PM
Is an Efreet bottle allowed? If not... Hmm...
No Candle...
An activated Ring of Elemental Command(Fire or Water, though I wouldn't be picky), maybe?
Mirror of Mindswitch might give me immortality, but definite villain status...
Third Eye - Sense would be nifty...
Skin of Proteus would be really nifty, too. Probably gets my vote. Unless I can figure out something else

EDIT:Does a Luckblade with charges on it count? If so, that's my bet.

Also, would you be allowed to use runestaves, despite not having spell slots to sacrifice?

Fable Wright
2012-06-11, 11:09 PM
If I pick a Phylactery, do I become a lich? If yes, that gets my vote. Otherwise, Skin of the Proteus by a long shot.

VGLordR2
2012-06-11, 11:09 PM
It's too bad that you banned consumables; Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments are awesome.

But since those are disqualified, I would say that my favorite item is the Rod of Wonders. It's hilarious.

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-12, 12:17 AM
Oh wait! That item that gives you agelessness. From that Kissed by the Ages spell. You just then have to worry about keeping fit and in shape and not taking risks and stuff, and you will live forever.

Little Brother
2012-06-12, 12:20 AM
Oh wait! That item that gives you agelessness. From that Kissed by the Ages spell. You just then have to worry about keeping fit and in shape and not taking risks and stuff, and you will live forever.It isn't a magic item, it's an effect of the spell(And you can lose the item, all you do is take a small penalty).

Seerow
2012-06-12, 12:25 AM
Wings of Flying or Boots of Teleportation would be the obvious picks. Things that open up new methods of transportation.

But honestly almost any would be cool. Even something as basic as +x attribute items would be pretty neat to have in real life. And I'm sure there's dozens of magic item choices that could provide practically infinite wealth or near immortality that would probably be better choices if you were thinking logically.

Knaight
2012-06-12, 12:35 AM
I'd go with the intelligence +5 tome before anything else. If that is counted as a consumable (I wouldn't quite count it as such), the Headband of Intellect +6 is a viable replacement. Other than that, any of the infinite power source items seem really nice. I'd have some fun with a decanter of endless water.

Morithias
2012-06-12, 01:57 AM
I'd go with the intelligence +5 tome before anything else. If that is counted as a consumable (I wouldn't quite count it as such), the Headband of Intellect +6 is a viable replacement. Other than that, any of the infinite power source items seem really nice. I'd have some fun with a decanter of endless water.

If you're going to take the headband at least go the distance and take the belt of magnificence +6 (+6 to ALL stats).

Oscredwin
2012-06-12, 01:58 AM
Ring gates. I now have a perpetual water wheel that can generate power for ever. Hmmm, I wonder if I could get a water wheel powered private jet?

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-12, 02:32 AM
Ring Gates, on their own, have a limited daily throughput, though... you need other magic items to get them to keep going...

Gandariel
2012-06-12, 02:32 AM
An item of +20 to Ride, obviously.

(if you don't know it, it's one of the stupid tricks you can pull off by RAW, constantly making DC20 Ride checks to jump on and off horses as free actions. have lots of horses standing next to each other, and you can move in zero time between them).

More seriously, i guess Eternal wand of Anyspell, or some cool item with uses/day. (decanter of endless water would be cool too)

Othesemo
2012-06-12, 02:38 AM
I think I'm going to have to go with a belt of magnificence on this one.

Ring of Sustenance.

Draz74
2012-06-12, 02:52 AM
Hmmm, this is an interesting new twist on the "D&D abilities in real life" threads that pop up every few weeks.

First of all, Eternal Wands would be useless, unless someone knows of an item that lets you make UMD checks untrained, since I don't think any of us are arcane casters or have UMD ranks. (And if there is such an item, I definitely want it; Eternal Wands of Scholar's Touch, Prestidigitation, Mending, and many other things would be amazing, even if you had to try UMD over and over until you got a natural 20 before they'd work!) That's sad for my dream of a utopian life aided by magic items, but it's good for keeping this thread different from all the ones that ask what spells you would want access to in real life.

As with other "real life" threads, I tend to think that many effects -- especially "flashy" effects -- even if they seem really nice at first, would eventually take over one's life in an undesirable way. For example, I'd think long and hard about a Phoenix Cloak, even though it would be awesome, because you'd end up as a military target, an errand boy for all your friends, and so forth. So I tend to stick with the subtle options.

Right off the bat, I have to say it would be really hard for any other ring to compete with a Ring of Sustenance. No need for food or water, and only 2 hours of sleep needed each night? Yes, please!!

Hat of Disguise is quite tempting; I don't do much with infiltration or subterfuge, but just being able to "change clothes" to suit any occasion is quite convenient -- not to mention hiding the presence of your other magic items. If the head slot must be used for something else, Shiftweave is a partial substitute -- five outfits of clothing in one is handy.

Some kind of rent-free living space sounds appealing, but I'm not sure what. Rod of Security sounds awesome until you realize it says nothing about being able to enter/leave your pocket paradise more than once a week. (It's still worth thinking about as a vacation method, especially if unlimited slotless items are allowed!) Daern's Instant Fortress is a little too showy. I like camping, but not enough to live in Daern's Instant Tent or Personal Oasis forever. Hmmm. I'm open to further suggestions here.

Oh, something that should have been almost as obvious as Ring of Sustenance -- every adventurer's favorite item of all, Heward's Handy Haversack. Would be incredibly useful! I guess you could go with a Bag of Holding or something instead, but meh -- it's a bit heavier, and I don't frankly need more than 120 pounds of stuff. I guess the Belt of Many Pockets could sub for the HHH, being better in some ways (but not able to hold any big items).

Magic Bedroll -- whoa, I remembered this being a sort of lame item since its main mechanical effect is just an Endure Elements effect (which would be pretty spiffy in real life by itself), but it apparently also guarantees a peaceful, restful sleep (no more insomnia!) and boosts natural healing abilities slightly, which would be nice on the rare occasions when I get injured enough to represent real hit point damage.

Oh yeah ... Shapesand. If it's allowed, being so vaguely described in the book that it breaks D&D campaigns, let alone breaking real life ... then it would be absolutely amazing. Who needs Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments? Just tell your Sand to change into whatever mundane item you need.

Attribute boosts would all be nice, of course, although in different ways. Intelligence boosts would make my life a lot easier, but I'd kind of feel like I was cheating in some way. Same thing, but moreso, with Wisdom boosts, if Wisdom includes having the willpower to do everyday things like get out of bed or not procrastinate ... hmmm, Profession is Wisdom-based, so right there, that's pretty nice. Charisma boosts would be the most and least helpful of all -- least, because if you ever run into someone without your item on for some reason (swimming pool?), they might be disturbed by how your "usual zesty personality" is missing. Especially awkward in romantic situations. Strength and Dexterity boosts would be handy, but other than being an unfair way to be good at sports, they wouldn't make that much of a difference to everyday life (at least in middle-class America). Overall, I have to say Constitution boosts would be the most desirable (except maybe Wisdom) -- a couple extra hit points and a general resistance to getting sick are good things.

Something with Darkvision would be a must. Badge of the Svirfneblin or something. I'll have to look up more options later.

Stone of Alarm would be handy for protecting your other items. With a mental alarm setting, nobody else would know you had magical alerts going off in your brain.

I'm trying to decide if any Armor would actually be worth the discomfort of wearing it. How bad is Padded Armor? (If you have Endure Elements to keep it from being too warm?) There are a lot of armor enhancements that could be quite handy: Restful, Durable (or Blueshine, I guess), Easy Travel, Fortification, Freedom, Landing, Quickness ... This thread doesn't seem to have price limits, so, just keep stacking flat-cost enhancements onto your armor forever! Hmmm, I guess even if it's not comfortable to wear all the time, you could just add Calling to it and summon it when you need it.

I'm not much of a pet person, but I guess a pet could be a cool magic item to have, especially since the magic item limits how much maintenance the pet needs. I'd like to try having a friendly, intelligent dog for six hours a week via Onyx Dog, I guess.

Tome of Worldly Memory would be kind of nifty, even in a world where Wikipedia sometimes makes it redundant. Since it builds off of your own Knowledge abilities, it would be useful for e.g. difficult homework problems.

Amulet of Second Chances ... hmmm, tempting. Undo one major "mistake" (that was six seconds long or shorter) each day. I wonder how much I'd really use that? Belt of Ultimate Athleticism would be great if it were mental activation instead of command activation. With shouting a command word every six seconds, it loses a lot of its charm.

I was going to write off all healing items, such as a Healing Belt, as being "too flashy." But I guess I could make an exception for items that only work in the case of true emergencies, when they would save a life. Something like Greater Healing Armor or (better) an Amulet of Emergency Healing.

It's kind of too flashy, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the Rod of Viscid Globs. Could be useful for pranks, or if you actually get into a dangerous situation with a mugger in a dark alley or something. Likewise, a Shadow Cloak is kind of unfortunately obvious to other people, but ... it might be worth it to be able to teleport a short distance as an immediate action if you really need to.

EDIT: Swordsage'd on the Ring of Sustenance, darn it. And I somehow forgot all about the Belt of Magnificence, which would be totally awesome within the current context of no price limits. Definitely a must-have.

Little Brother
2012-06-12, 02:57 AM
Master Belt of Stone Dragon or Shadow Gloves could be nifty, too.

Knaight
2012-06-12, 03:03 AM
If you're going to take the headband at least go the distance and take the belt of magnificence +6 (+6 to ALL stats).

I forgot about the existence of that one, but you're right, it's much better. I am all for this.

sonofzeal
2012-06-12, 03:36 AM
I agree with Belt of Magnificence. Very subtle in its effect compared to the others, but a major gamechanger. Even just the Int would be great, but combined with the others means you are now awesome at everything. You'd be able to make a killing in almost any field, and accomplish almost anything with enough time and effort.

whibla
2012-06-12, 08:50 AM
I don't think I could definitively choose a single item, but in terms of making life easier for myself maybe I'd have to go for something like a medallion of thoughts, then hit the poker tables in Vegas...

As for decking myself out, again it's not a simple choice, but: for rings probably a ring of sustenance (as several other people have mentioned), and a ring of regeneration (explaining exactly how my arm grew back after that car accident could be tricky..but..); Non-slots, are easier, because there's no limit, so definitely the Decanter of Endless Water, for endless and free power, and a Carpet of Flying, for the thrill and convenience. I've also always liked the Lyre of Building (though perhaps I should learn to play it first - I guess it's not quite the same as a guitar or sax), but I guess with the limitless money gained via my medallion building stuff could equally be left to others. I'd also agree with a previous poster who suggesting the Hat of Disguise. Having the capability of always being dressed for the occasion does strike me as being pretty damn handy.

There are ofc half a hundred more, but, in reality, they'd just be the icing on the cake...

Wookie-ranger
2012-06-12, 09:06 AM
Also, would you be allowed to use runestaves, despite not having spell slots to sacrifice?
You cannot cast spells, making this item not so good.

If I pick a Phylactery, do I become a lich?
you can get the Phylactery, but you are still no lich. There are better choices, like you mentioned. Isn't there another item that lets you become immortal?

Oh wait! That item that gives you agelessness. From that Kissed by the Ages spell. You just then have to worry about keeping fit and in shape and not taking risks and stuff, and you will live forever.
As mentioned, its part of a spell not a magic item. where is the spell from again?

First of all, Eternal Wands would be useless, unless someone knows of an item that lets you make UMD checks untrained, since I don't think any of us are arcane casters or have UMD ranks.

As stated in the rules you can use all magic items that you choose. so eternal wands are a go.

I also amended the rules a little to be more exact what I am looking for.
1: if you could only choose one item. what would it be?
2: if you could fill every body slot +2 none slot items. what items would you choose?

Face:
Head:
Throat:
Shoulders:
Body:
Torso:
Bracers:
Hands:
Ring 1:
Ring 2:
Waist:
Rings:
Feet:
None slot 1:
None slot 2:

Occasional Sage
2012-06-12, 09:26 AM
The common suggestion of a Ring of Sustenance is good. Honestly though, I like eating too much. An item of Prestidigitation would be great; my job and many home passtimes get me filthy, to say nothing of fixing coffee breath!

Little Brother
2012-06-12, 10:09 AM
You cannot cast spells, making this item not so good.Hmm. Oh well.

you can get the Phylactery, but you are still no lich. There are better choices, like you mentioned. Isn't there another item that lets you become immortal?Outside of artifacts? Nope.

I also amended the rules a little to be more exact what I am looking for.
1: if you could only choose one item. what would it be?Fully-charged Luckblade, probably. If not, Skin of Proteus.

2: if you could fill every body slot +2 none slot items. what items would you choose?
[quote]Face:Blindfold of True Darkness could be nifty. Pearl of Speech, too... Third Eye Dominate, too, would be nice, as would a Crystal Mask of Languages, Dread, Discernment.

Head:Hat of Disguise, probably. Beholder Crown would look badass, I admit, though.

Throat:Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis(Continuous version), almost definitely, though an Amulet of Second Chances(Definitely this if it functions by RAW and undoes using the charge, otherwise, though,

Shoulders:Vanisher Cloak or Mantle of Second Chances... Hmmm.

Body:Glamered something-or-other +5 Shadoweave Studded Leather, probably.

Torso:Shirt of the Bone LOOKS awesome. Imperious Vestment is better, though... If I could add Shiftweave to it, though, that'd probably be my choice. Shiftweave is so nice..

Bracers:You mean Arms, right? I dunno, none look appealing...

Hands:Gloves of the Master Strategist, probably. I dunno.

Ring 1:Invisibility, no doubt.

Ring 2:: Hmm. Sustenance, or maybe Elemental Command Wind or Fire...

Waist:+6 Magnificence, definitely.

Feet:Slippers or the Setting Sun(Master), probably, as I don't have the ranks in Dance for Slippers of Battledancing.

None slot 1:Skin of Proteus

None slot 2:Luck Blade with all three charges :smalltongue:

Otherwise? I dunno. Aberrant Sphere could have some uses. The Handy Haversack probably wins in the end, though. Maybe the Bedroll?

Andorax
2012-06-12, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't know where to begin on filling every possible slot, but to me the answer was immediately obvious.

Periapt of Health

I don't need to fly, be super-intelligent, be able to blast holes in things, or all the other "cool stuff" you're talking about.

I would, however, like to live out the rest of my life without cancer, arthritis, alzheimers, IBS, and countless many other singularly unpleasent ailments that are a normal part of aging and, in D&D terms, would be classed as diseases.

jaybird
2012-06-12, 01:05 PM
+6 Magnificence, no question. In real life, that'd put you three more standard deviations past what you were - among others, a 45 point jump in IQ. That alone would be worth it, never mind the implications of +6 to Charisma.

Necroticplague
2012-06-12, 01:07 PM
1:skin of the proteus is a must (to get around apparentness of it, change into a form only slightly different from your own).
2:I have trouble getting enough sleep in my schedule. A ring of sustenance would be awesome.
3:I tend to do stupid things that should end up with me severely injured. So far, my luck has held out, but some magic back-up would be nice. To this end, dukar hand coral and silithar healing blood would be nice, though the hand coral's effect might be a bit obvious (the part where it allows for limb regrowth).

Salanmander
2012-06-12, 02:22 PM
I agree with Belt of Magnificence. Very subtle in its effect compared to the others, but a major gamechanger. Even just the Int would be great, but combined with the others means you are now awesome at everything. You'd be able to make a killing in almost any field, and accomplish almost anything with enough time and effort.

I think we might have a clue into how Batman is so awesome right here...

Rubik
2012-06-12, 06:09 PM
...to say nothing of fixing coffee breath!Oh, that one's easy. Scrub your tongue thoroughly with your toothbrush every time you brush your teeth. Also gets rid of garlic and onion breath and morning breath as well.

I've also heard that people who brush their tongues regularly also have less chance of cardiac failure, since apparently the tongue is a bacterial breeding ground that can lead to bacterial blockages in your arteries.

Toliudar
2012-06-12, 06:27 PM
If we're assuming that these items can't simply be taken away from you, I'd go with a horn of plenty. It's not eternal life, but it's a disease and (permanent) injury free life. Plus, you can have fundraising dinner parties that you can charge $10K a plate to attend - come dine with me, and walk away cancer free!

Rubik
2012-06-12, 06:28 PM
Oh, and I have a giant list of things I'd want, and it makes full use of item property stacking.

In fact, I'm only missing like 6 1st party sourcebooks, and I've gone through every one of them looking for good stuff. I used item crafting, and with 21st level wealth I made everything I wanted with any actual use to me and I'm still approximately 1,073,729.46 gp (crafted) short of bottoming out on my monetary budget, and that's including epic items (which are, by and large, crap).

Of course, I also don't have to worry about immunities, defenses, or anything that emulates a spell, since the build in question is immune to everything that I don't explicitly want affecting me, as well as spontaneous access to every non-epic spell and psionic power from every list ever printed (with infinite power points per day, no less).

Invader
2012-06-12, 08:39 PM
I can't wrap my head around the ring of sustanence. Really, you can have almost any magical item in the entire D&D universe why wouldn't you shoot for something a little more grand? Or at least an item that provides something that's not as readily available as what the ring provides.

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-12, 09:02 PM
Uh, only needing 2 hours of sleep each night for the rest of your life? Never needing to eat or drink for sustenance, ever again?

How much more time for you to spend living is that? How much time in your life do you lose sleeping?? How much money do you save if you only eat when you can go eat for an enjoyable experience, rather than to just stay alive??

Chess435
2012-06-12, 09:12 PM
Hmmm.... good question. Well, here goes:

Face: Third Eye Sense (Great for Spying and watching other stuff)
Head: Hat of Disguise. (Cheap, effective, and versatile. Good for hiding the rest of my gear.)
Throat: Amulet of the Planes (Even with planar travel restricted, it'd still be awesome to visit the Elemental planes and the Astral)
Shoulders: Starmantle Cloak (Pretty much immune to most conventional weaponry? Awesome.)
Body: +5 Called Deepdweller Mithril Chain Shirt of Freedom and Landing (Ridiculously versatile and convenient protection, allowing me to function almost anywhere)
Torso: Vest of Resistance +5 (Solid Protection against all sorts of fun things)
Bracers: ummm...... Bracers of Dawn (Not really much else out there, at least I get some offensive capacity)
Hands: Glove of Storing (x2? Good for hiding stuff, I guess. Not much else here.)
Ring 1: Ring of Solar Wings (WHHHHEEEEE!!!!!)
Ring 2: Ring of Invisibility (Great for Sneaking around)
Waist: Belt of Magnificence +6 (top end-strength, top end-reflexes, decently resilient, super-intelligence, wisdom no longer my dump stat, and highly charismatic. My #1 item pick)
Feet: Boots of Teleportation (Great way to get around)
None slot 1: +5 Returning Merciful Transmuting Adamantine Dagger of Warning (Powerful, versatile and generaly awesome all around)
None slot 2: Psychoactive Skin of Proteus (All sorts of fun things to become!)

AzazelSephiroth
2012-06-12, 09:29 PM
If this item cannot be taken from me easily... I totally vote for a Starmantle Cloak! Immune to non-magical and thus all weaponry? Yes Please. I would be a regular everyday superhero ;-)

Invader
2012-06-12, 10:18 PM
Uh, only needing 2 hours of sleep each night for the rest of your life? Never needing to eat or drink for sustenance, ever again?

How much more time for you to spend living is that? How much time in your life do you lose sleeping?? How much money do you save if you only eat when you can go eat for an enjoyable experience, rather than to just stay alive??

Yeah but the bigger question is what are you going to do with another 6 hours a day? Watch some TV, play videos games, work? I'd be one thing if you were composing music or working on a cure for cancer, or ending homelessness. I bet more of the former would get done lol.

I bet you'd find you'd eat quite a bit just for something enjoyable. Enjoyment is the biggest prime motivator man has next to maybe survival. Plus lets be honest, you're not going to become a millionaire by not buying just you own food. At most it'll save you a few -7 thousand dollars a year.

Now take something like aforementioned belt of magnificence. Your increased mental and physical faculties are going to net you a bigger gain due to the increased efficiency you'll gain. This will carry over to making more money as well. Think of the movie Limitless for examples.

Don't get me wrong I definitely see the uses of the RoS I just have a hard time believing people would take it over every other magic item they have to choose from.

I'd take simple Wings of Flying over a RoS.

Draz74
2012-06-12, 10:45 PM
Frankly, any magic item you name, if I think about its consequences realistically instead of with a bit of nerdy idealism, I can come up with an argument for why it would actually make your life miserable instead of awesome in the long run. That's what you're doing with the Ring of Sustenance.

But frankly, many of us in my sphere of life are walking around and doing stuff 24/7 with sleep deprivation. If you got a Ring of Sustenance, and your nightly sleep suddenly dropped from 6 hours to 3 hours, even if you didn't do anything worthwhile with the extra three hours, you'd still be getting a huge benefit out of the ring just because your 8 working hours each day would be done with a clear, well-rested mind.

(It would just become a question of whether you have the time management skills to avoid dropping your new sleep schedule to 1.7 hours a night or something. And whether the Magic Bedroll's "you sleep well each night" clause is better than the Ring's effect.)

Invader
2012-06-12, 10:59 PM
Frankly, any magic item you name, if I think about its consequences realistically instead of with a bit of nerdy idealism, I can come up with an argument for why it would actually make your life miserable instead of awesome in the long run. That's what you're doing with the Ring of Sustenance.

But frankly, many of us in my sphere of life are walking around and doing stuff 24/7 with sleep deprivation. If you got a Ring of Sustenance, and your nightly sleep suddenly dropped from 6 hours to 3 hours, even if you didn't do anything worthwhile with the extra three hours, you'd still be getting a huge benefit out of the ring just because your 8 working hours each day would be done with a clear, well-rested mind.

(It would just become a question of whether you have the time management skills to avoid dropping your new sleep schedule to 1.7 hours a night or something. And whether the Magic Bedroll's "you sleep well each night" clause is better than the Ring's effect.)

On the contrary, I didn't name one reason why it would make you life miserable and in fact I said I can absolutely see the benefits I just look at all the items you could get instead and think "really"?

Venom3053000
2012-06-12, 11:05 PM
this every thing i could think of

Head: Hat of Disguise wear what ever i want
Shoulders: Starmantle Cloak
Ring 1: Ring of Regeneration i might get hurts this is good
Ring 2: Ring of Solar Wings for when i can't teleport
Waist: Belt of Magnificence +6 high stats are good
Feet: Boots of Teleportation
None slot 1: Shape sand heard of it once sound good
None slot 2: Cabinet of Feasting if i could only get one thing it be this

Mnemnosyne
2012-06-12, 11:45 PM
There's a lot of really good ideas here, most of what I would pick has already been listed, but one which I would definitely pick that hasn't been brought up: A Crown of the Stars. It's a wearable Spelljammer helm. Since I'm able to use the item, that means I can power the helm. Since it doesn't need to come in the form of a crown (it can be any wearable item other than a ring), I might make it a bracer, fill up that otherwise questionable Arms slot.

Now I can travel around the solar system at 1,161 miles per second, or 4,181,818 miles per hour (means I can get from Earth to Venus in somewhere between 6 hours and 1.6 days, or Earth to Mars in between 12 hours and 2.3 days, depending on the current orbital positions - or at the furthest away, from Earth to Pluto in 37.6 days). I can also lift a 100 ton ship with 50 tons of cargo into orbit for free, in a matter of minutes.

Tvtyrant
2012-06-12, 11:49 PM
On the contrary, I didn't name one reason why it would make you life miserable and in fact I said I can absolutely see the benefits I just look at all the items you could get instead and think "really"?

It would make a trip to mars viable, since your only life support would be air. It also means you can hike wherever you want without worrying about rations, which for me would be a godsend. With the extra sleep you could read a lot more (which is big for me) and wouldn't need to worry about drinking unhealthy water at any point.

Rubik
2012-06-13, 12:24 AM
Robe robe of resetting trap of (Twinned Repeating) Mass Heal & arcane might & robe of retaliation & robe of thunder & resetting trap of (Twinned Repeating, Extended) Temporal Reiteration & resetting trap of (Twinned Repeating) Synchronicity & resetting trap of (Twinned Repeating) Hustle & resetting trap of (Twinned Repeating) Anticipatory Strike & resetting trap of (Twinned Repeating Extended) Vigor

Bracers wand bracelets (x2) & tiger claw (novice & scholar & master) & wind & iron monkey & quiver of lies & blast barrier & caduceus bracers & greatreach & aerial combat & kraken bracelet

Shield +1 aurorum everbright light shield of animated & called & hideaway (+3 equiv) w/wand chamber Spikes aurorum hideaway everbright +1 sudden stunning & pearl trident & glorious pearl & bull & breaking & disarming & hand of heironeous & laraethian protector & ioun blade & ringsword & songblade & harrowheart (hallowed) & mighty sweeping & manyfanged & spellblade

Weapon (side 1) +1 everbright rod of ropes of morphing & distance & hideaway & sizing // (side 2) brutal surge & stunning surge & distance & wounding & masterslaying & flensing & reaving & manyfanged

Hand 1 +1 everbright aurorum embedded battlefist component & locked gauntlet of brutal surge & fierce & sudden stunning & pearl trident & glorious pearl & bull & breaking & disarming & ioun blade & loyal minion & ringsword & mighty sweeping & spellblade w/wand chamber

...combined with Rod of absorption (x10) & precision & elemental might & defiance & netherworld & obedience & construct control & reversal & embassy (Earth, Toril)

...combined with Glove/gauntlet, spell channeling (greater) & storing & caster glove & taarnahm the vigilant & master strategist & gloves of man & arcanist's gloves & gauntlets of extended range & gloves of the balanced hand & hellcat & reach & rending & repelling & true strike

...combined with pair of gauntlets of heartfelt blows & shadow hand (novice & scholar & master) & claw gloves & ghost fighting

Hand 2 +1 everbright aurorum embedded battlefist component & locked gauntlet of warning & fierce & aptitude & sudden stunning & pearl trident & glorious pearl & bull & breaking & disarming & ioun blade & loyal minion & ringsword mighty sweeping & spellblade

...combined with meta rod of quicken & chain & empower & enlarge & energy substitution (acid/cold/electricity/fire/sonic) & extend & maximize & reach & sculpt & bouncing & dazing & disruptive & focused & lingering & merciful & persistent (pathfinder) & selective & sickening & thundering & piercing cold & silent (greater) & reversal

...combined with Glove/gauntlet of storing & caster glove & master strategist

Weapon [bow] +1 aurorum elvencraft bow of the wintermoon of distance & seeking & force & merciful & fierce & aptitude & reaver & prismatic burst & pearl trident & glorious pearl & bull & hand of heironeous & larethian protector & ringsword & songblade & sorcerer's hand & resetting trap of greater bestow curse & harrowheart (hallowed) & mighty sweeping & bow of songs & explosive & stunshot & spellblade & loyal minion & resetting trap (Chained Twinned) Dispel Psionics w/wand chamber

...combined with [Quarterstaff 1], +1 quarterstaff of morphing & hideaway & sizing & pearl trident & glorious pearl & breaking & disarming & bull & loyal minion & ringsword & songblade & fluid enhancement & mighty sweeping w/wand chamber & mace of the dark children (hallowed) & spellblade & loyal minion

...combined with [Quarterstaff 2], +1 psicrystal staff of superior dispelling & suppression & power storing & spell storing & collision & sudden stunning & pearl trident & glorious pearl & breaking & disarming & bull & ringsword & songblade & resetting trap of greater bestow curse w/wand chamber & harrowheart (hallowed) & mighty sweeping & manyfanged & spellblade & loyal minion & resetting trap (Chained Twinned) Dispel Psionics

Weapon [arrow] +1 everbright aurorum serpentstongue raptor arrows of burrowing & sound & hell's heart (hallowed) & manyfanged & collision & exit wound & explosive & fiercebane & maiming & thundering & splitting & amber & bloodstone & coral & diamond & emerald & granite & jade & malachite & onyx & opal & quartz & red garnet & ruby & sapphire & talc (x5)

Throat special holy symbol (x19) & necklace of adaptation & 6 chronocharms & devoted spirit & power preservation & h.o.glory & psionatrix (x6) & fortune prevailing & lesser umbral metamorphosis & rampaging boar & undead turning & scentblinder & retributive healing & time regression & heartseeking & CG reliquary holy symbol & retributive amulet & torc of heroic sacrifice & talisman of undying fortitude & torc of psionic might & medal of steadfast honor & badge of valor & serpent veil & badge of glory

...combined with necklace of of natural weaponry (unarmed strike), +1 unarmed strike of distance & ghost touch & luckblade & pearl trident & glorious pearl & bull & breaking & disarming & ioun blade & loyal minion & ringsword & mighty sweeping & manyfanged & spellblade & resetting trap of Greater Bestow Curse & flensing & harrowheart (hallowed) & hand of Heironeous & Laraethian protector & resetting trap (Chained Twinned) Dispel Psionics

Weapon +1 boot blade of pearl trident & glorious pearl & bull & breaking & disarming & ioun blade & loyal minion & ringsword & mighty sweeping & spellblade

Weapon +1 elbow blade of pearl trident & glorious pearl & bull & breaking & disarming & ioun blade & loyal minion & ringsword & mighty sweeping & spellblade

Weapon +1 knee blade of pearl trident & glorious pearl & bull & breaking & disarming & ioun blade & loyal minion & ringsword & mighty sweeping & spellblade (x2)

Weapon +1 sleeve blade of pearl trident & glorious pearl & bull & breaking & disarming & ioun blade & loyal minion & ringsword & mighty sweeping & spellblade (x8)

Waist magnificence +6 & stone dragon & many pockets & battle & great fortitude & desperation chain & caustic veil

Crown/head shroudcrown (gives turn undead as 10th level cleric) & white raven & helm of the hunter & headband of pursuit & admiral's bicorne & great village & horned helm & headband of the lorebinder & mask of fangs & wild surging & conscious effort & battle & helm of tactics & burning veil

Face/eyes third eye (expose) & sundark lenses & eyes of the eagle & mask of the tiger & panther mask & horizon goggles & goggles of day & corsair's eyepatch & goggles of lifesight & incarnum goggles & third eye clarity & third eye dampening & third eye improvisation & veil of allure & turquoise veil & veil of whispers & basilisk mask

Feet setting sun & translocation & h.o.zephyr & h.o.flame & riding boots & sidestepping & charging & steadfast & rapid wrath & shaundakul's boots & big stepping & side stepping & incarnum boots & quicksilver & skirmisher & cobra straps & shadahkar's swift wind

((Note, there's a weapon quality in the A&EG that allows you to "wear" a ring on your weapon, in addition to the normal body slots.))

Ring regeneration & diamond mind & arcane might & epic psionics IX & spell battle & fanged & sandstriding & greater counterspells & arming

Ring epic psionics IX & diamond mind & sustenance & fanged & anticipation & white wyrm & sandstriding & greater counterspells & arming & forcearmor

Ring diamond mind & epic psionics IX & darkhidden & psionic teleport & fanged & sandstriding & greater counterspells & arming & forcearmor (2/2)

Shoulders phoenix cloak & desert wind & second chances & greater salamander cloak & thorns & incarnum cloak & piercer & standard of valor & banner of chaos/evil/good/law & mantle of the predator & veil of doors & cape of the wastes & shawl of bewitching

Torso tunic of arms of the naga & wraithstalking & steadfast spellcasting & ironheart vest & dispelling cord & master evoker & veil of storms & ephod of authority & vest of legends

...and a ton of unslotted stuff, such as an acorn of far travel, ankh of ascension, and a bunch of combined weapon and armor crystals.

Draz74
2012-06-13, 01:05 AM
that otherwise questionable Arms slot

On this note, another option is to just pick up Bracers of Armor, and use the Arms & Equipment Guide rules to give them other armor enhancements instead of just AC boosts.

Chess435
2012-06-13, 01:05 AM
@Rubik: What. How are you carrying all this?

Rubik
2012-06-13, 01:31 AM
@Rubik: What. How are you carrying all this?Each entry is ONE item, except for the ones where one item is several entries (such as the elvencraft bow).

Also note that my Strength score is 12,716, and I used what is essentially a Persisted Sequester/Ghostform (with ghost touch on that necklace of natural weapons) to turn all of my equipment both invisible and incorporeal.

Oh, and those are just the items on ONE body. I have thousands. Yay.

Mnemnosyne
2012-06-13, 02:01 AM
I think you missed the 'no custom items' limitation.

J.Gellert
2012-06-13, 02:04 AM
Just a phylactery in my "none" slot, everything else is irrelevant once you are an immortal lord of the undead.

Rubik
2012-06-13, 02:10 AM
I think you missed the 'no custom items' limitation.Nope. It's all allowed under the item creation rules, especially those in the MIC.

Even the traps are fine, since those rules are in the DMG.

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-13, 02:19 AM
I think that's what he meant by no custom items. Don't use the DMG magic item creation rules, OR the MIC ones. IE, you need to use an item which is printed in its entirety somewhere. With the implication being to choose a Wondrous Item.

Rubik
2012-06-13, 02:37 AM
I think that's what he meant by no custom items. Don't use the DMG magic item creation rules, OR the MIC ones. IE, you need to use an item which is printed in its entirety somewhere. With the implication being to choose a Wondrous Item.Well, they ARE item creation rules rather than just guidelines, so they're not any more custom than a wand of Lesser Vigor (since that's not statted up anywhere either).

But if I can't use any of that I'd get a luck blade with 3 wishes, then use it to grab a soul crystal (from MoI) of a StP erudite's Ice Assassin (of a 20th level StP erudite with Psychic Reformation), Fusion, and Astral Seed, so I could get some serious level-ups going. Then I'd just craft all that stuff anyway.

JellyPooga
2012-06-13, 04:38 AM
Face: Goggles of Night - See in the dark. What's not to like? Sure you could go buy some mundane NVD, but these things could look like sunglasses, giving you the "blues brothers effect".
Head: Dunno, I'm not much of a "hats" kinda guy.
Throat: Necklace of Adaption - Breathe underwater? Immune to inhaled poisons? I'll get me some of that.
Shoulders: Cloak of the Bat - Who wouldn't want to fly like that?
Body: Vest of Escape - Truth be told, I only really chose this because it's a snappy silk vest! Still, the Escape Artist bonus could be handy.
Torso: See 'Head' entry. I wouldn't wear a robe over my stylish silk vest anyway!
Bracers: Bracers of Armour - Nothing fancy, just handy. Plate armour in some wrist guards? Sweet.
Hands: Glove of Storing - All sorts of useful! Makes you look a bit like Jackson, walking around with only one glove on, but I can forgive that.
Ring 1: Ring of Sustenance - Can't argue with it, really. Less sleep required, no food bills (but for what you feel like eating for pleasure) and if you get stuck in the desert, all you have to worry about is heat stroke!
Ring 2: Ring of Regeneration - I've always wanted to chop off one of my limbs, just to see what it felt like...
Waist: Monks Belt - I never bothered to learn a martial art. This lets me have the mad-skills of a martial-arts veteran without the years of training in between. Call me lazy, but I'd rather that than super-strength or whatever else.
Feet: Boots of Striding and Springing - I like to walk. Fast. These let me do that better.
None slot 1: Ring Gates - I just love these things. Soooo many uses.
None slot 2: Another pair of Ring Gates! - If you thought one pair was useful, try adding another pair to the equation.

Gandariel
2012-06-13, 06:22 AM
Face:Eyes of truth: Would sure help finding my stuff.
Head:Hat of disguise
Throat: Periapt of healthImmunity to disease.. now if i could avoid being harmed...
Shoulders: Starmantle cloak - Heh. now i'm a superhero (Or villain)
Body: Uhm. no idea here
Torso: Same thing, don't know what to pick
Bracers: Bracers of Dawn - So i can do something too.
Hands: Gauntlet of infinite bladesYes, i can definitely do something!
Ring 1: Ring of Invisibility -Wheee!
Ring 2: Ring of Solar Wings Superfast flight!
Waist: Magnificence +6 -No-brainer here
Feet: Boots of Teleporting - Whee!
None slot 1: Heward's Fortifying Bedroll -there you go
None slot 2: Psycoactive skin of Proteus Wheee
None slot 3: Pearl of Speech Very useful!
Also, Clear and Iridescent Ioun stones: no food, water and air for me!

So, i'm not hurtable my anything, can teleport away if needed, need no food, air, only a few hours of sleep, i'm super-anything, invisible, flying, can talk to anyone, and disguising.
I only need some way to live forever (i guess that +6 Int from the belt will help me figure out something :P )

Aeryr
2012-06-13, 07:08 AM
Face:Eyes of truth: Would sure help finding my stuff.
Head:Hat of disguise
Throat: Periapt of healthImmunity to disease.. now if i could avoid being harmed...
Shoulders: Starmantle cloak - Heh. now i'm a superhero (Or villain)
Body: Uhm. no idea here
Torso: Same thing, don't know what to pick
Bracers: Bracers of Dawn - So i can do something too.
Hands: Gauntlet of infinite bladesYes, i can definitely do something!
Ring 1: Ring of Invisibility -Wheee!
Ring 2: Ring of Solar Wings Superfast flight!
Waist: Magnificence +6 -No-brainer here
Feet: Boots of Teleporting - Whee!
None slot 1: Heward's Fortifying Bedroll -there you go
None slot 2: Psycoactive skin of Proteus Wheee
None slot 3: Pearl of Speech Very useful!
Also, Clear and Iridescent Ioun stones: no food, water and air for me!

So, i'm not hurtable my anything, can teleport away if needed, need no food, air, only a few hours of sleep, i'm super-anything, invisible, flying, can talk to anyone, and disguising.
I only need some way to live forever (i guess that +6 Int from the belt will help me figure out something :P )

Maybe you want a ring of evasion, after all the starmantle cloak "only" reduces damage to half in a successful save. So... evasion is handy.

Gandariel
2012-06-13, 07:40 AM
For magic weapons.
Magic weapons don't exist here :P

Also, evasion doesn't work like that, sadly

Defensive Roll (Ex)

The rogue can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would. Once per day, when she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the rogue can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the rogue must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, she takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. She must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll—if she is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, she can’t use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the rogue’s evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Emphasis mine

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-06-13, 07:45 AM
ring of three wishes.

failing that, ring of sustenance because I dislike wasting time and money on food and sleep.

whibla
2012-06-13, 08:20 AM
I had a re-think on my choice of non-slot items. Not strictly sure if it's within the original concept, or if the non-slots were intended to be worn / carried items, but:

I'll forego the carpet of flying and take a mirror of mental prowess instead. There are after all many other ways of getting flight. I'm only sorry that the Torc of the Gods no longer exists.

Anything else would probably be echoing someone above me.

Also, I had an alternative take on this thread, based on one or two of the items that are commonly cropping up: "Which 'basic' magic items should you be very cautious about introducing into your campaign?" If everyone wants one, there's probably a good reason to be wary...

JellyPooga
2012-06-13, 08:33 AM
Also, I had an alternative take on this thread, based on one or two of the items that are commonly cropping up: "Which 'basic' magic items should you be very cautious about introducing into your campaign?" If everyone wants one, there's probably a good reason to be wary...

Funnily enough, it's usually the more obscure and less talked about items that cause the most problems in campaigns I've run. A Belt of Giant Strength +6 might be the "go to" choice of belts from the DMG, but it's not going to cause any dimensional rifts to appear in your campaign. It's the things like the Decanter of Endless Water, Dust of Dryness, and Qualls' Feather Token: Tree that really start punching holes, especially in the hands of creative players.
Ring Gates are perfect example of a potentially problematic item that, on the surface, seems fairly innocuous. They don't summon the hordes of the abyss screaming to the material plane, they don't allow a character to fly or make him immune to damage, or anything that looks all that dangerous. However, in the hands of a halfling that's been to the fair, Ring Gates become a guillotine as he hooplah's an opponents head whilst his friend with an axe stands ready by the other. Used differently, Ring Gates become an Instant Pit Trap, Shield of Arrow Reflection, Gravity Powered Catapult and (my favourite) a 1/day Water Cannon, amongst many other uses.

Aeryr
2012-06-13, 08:34 AM
evasion doesn't work like that

Ring of evasion SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm)

This ring continually grants the wearer the ability to avoid damage as if she had evasion. Whenever she makes a Reflex saving throw to determine whether she takes half damage, a successful save results in no damage.

Ring of evasion does work like that.

Emphasys mine.

We are not talking about defensive roll are we? We are talking about starmantle cloak and ring of evasion, aren't we?

Rubik
2012-06-13, 08:39 AM
ring of three wishes.

failing that, ring of sustenance because I dislike wasting time and money on food and sleep.The ring is strictly consumable, so it's not allowed, unfortunately.

HOWEVER, a fully-charged luckblade IS allowed, since it's non-consumable and merely has charges (which can be refilled if you know how).

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-06-13, 08:59 AM
The ring is strictly consumable, so it's not allowed, unfortunately.

HOWEVER, a fully-charged luckblade IS allowed, since it's non-consumable and merely has charges (which can be refilled if you know how).

then THAT thing, shopkeep! :smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2012-06-13, 09:28 AM
Face: Eyes of Charming
Head: Helm of Telepathy
Throat: Amulet of the Planes
Body: Magical armor Mithril Chain Shirt +1/Twilight/Heavy Fort/Ghost Touch
Torso:
Bracers: Bracers of Armor +8
Hands: Gloves of Storing
Ring 1: Ring of Elemental command(air)
Ring 2:Ring of Djinni Calling
Waist: Belt of Battle
Back: Cloak of the Bat
Feet: Boots of Teleportation
Non slot 1: Tome of Clear Bodily Health +5
Non slot 2: Tome of Clear Thought +5

Also, I'll have every frigging upgrade option from MiC, because why not? This include fun things like bonuses to all skill checks, greater resistance to all energy types, and +6 enhance bonuses to all stats.

I'll be batman.

only1doug
2012-06-13, 09:34 AM
I'd have a Sun Blade.

I'm sure all the other stuff would have more actual benefit, But I like swords...

There are lots of nice swords to choose from, the sun blade tips the scales because of its ease of use (weilder feels as if he is weilding a shortsword).

Gandariel
2012-06-13, 10:14 AM
Ring of evasion SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm)

Ring of evasion does work like that.

Emphasys mine.

We are not talking about defensive roll are we? We are talking about starmantle cloak and ring of evasion, aren't we?

Hey, no need to get aggressive.

Anyway, the "defensive roll" feature is the closest thing there is to the effect of Starmantle cloak.

Starmantle cloak doesn't specify if Evasion works with it.
Defensive roll is the closest thing i could find, and it explicitely says it doesn't work.

I agree that the RAW definition is not exactly clear on this, but i for one wouldn't allow it to work (and i think every DM would agree with me).

Little Brother
2012-06-13, 10:17 AM
then THAT thing, shopkeep! :smallwink:Already called it on page 1. But, 3 wishes is what everyone would take.

I am only sad there's no way to get the general Summon Monster IV+ list, that I can see, without using like a runestaff or something. Summons would be nice.

Aeryr
2012-06-13, 11:01 AM
Hey, no need to get aggressive.

Anyway, the "defensive roll" feature is the closest thing there is to the effect of Starmantle cloak.

Starmantle cloak doesn't specify if Evasion works with it.
Defensive roll is the closest thing i could find, and it explicitely says it doesn't work.

I agree that the RAW definition is not exactly clear on this, but i for one wouldn't allow it to work (and i think every DM would agree with me).

Sorry if I sounded aggressive it was not the intention.

I would say that the RAW is clear, starmantle cloak allows a reflex save for half damage, ring of evasion allows to not take damage in a successful reflex save.

Of course, you can argue that it is overpowered, being overpowered seems to be behind this particular thought exercise.

As you said nothing in the starmantle cloak description makes it not work with evasion. And as I pointed above nothing in the ring of evasion description makes it not work with starmantle cloak.

Comparing an ability granted by a magical item to an extraordinary ability granted by a class feature is not necessarily a valid approximation. For example several wording of the Hide in plain sight ability exist, and they work similarly not equally.

Overall imho you are implementing a houserule (not a houserule that I won't implement myself, but still a houserule) to something that is legal by RAW (I don't intend to imply that it works properly by raw).

Tyndmyr
2012-06-13, 11:07 AM

Hi, I'm a DM. It works. It's also RAW.