PDA

View Full Version : nWoD Vampire with oWoD Clans

horus42
2012-06-11, 10:49 PM
So, I've always thought that the rules for Requiem were much more smooth than those of Masquerade, but that the fluff of Masquerade was infinitely better. Thanks to the Vampire Translation Guide, I've been able to have the best of both worlds, but I realized that there was something about Requiem that I really liked: Each Clan had a unique Discipline. The only Clans in Masquerade that didn't have unique Disciplines were the Brujah, Toreador, Ventrue, and Nosferatu.

I'm wanting to set it up so that each Clan has one Physical Discipline, (Celerity, Resilience, or Vigor) one Miscellaneous Discipline, (Animalism, Auspex, or Obfuscate), and one Unique Discipline. I've done some finagling and gotten it so that the Toreador are the only ones with Majesty, the Ventrue are the only ones with Dominate, and I swapped out Animalism with Nightmare for the Nosferatu.

My problem is the Brujah. I'm not sure what their unique discipline should be, and none of the Miscellaneous Disciplines really fit with their theme. Should they be the exception and have two physical Disciplines? I've been looking through the Bloodline books trying to find Disciplines I could co-opt into a Brujah unique Discipline, but so far I've had no luck, and I'm too lazy to make one up for them. My first thought was to use the Praesthenasia (or however you spell it...) from VII, the Vigor-but-for-Dexterity-instead-of-Strength Discipline, but that would just make the Brujah have three physical Disciplines, and if I was going to do that, I would just give them Resilience.

So I guess what I'm trying to get at is... Any ideas?

Project_Mayhem
2012-06-12, 12:17 PM
If you want to mix the fluff up a bit, you could give them all a modified version of Temporis. It's the signature discipline of the True Brujah, those not descended from Troile. I'm not sure which splat it was in originally - it's definately in the V20 book though.

horus42
2012-06-12, 04:51 PM
That... Actually makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place. I have V20, so finding Temporis and altering it to fit nWoD mechanics wouldn't be very hard. And I think I'll just leave the Brujah as the only Clan than has two Physical Disciplines, which is kind of the lazy way out, but oh well. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Oh, and in case anyone is interested, here are the post-finagling Clans with their discipline spreads:

Assamite: Celerity, Obfuscate, Quietus
Brujah: Vigor, Celerity, Temporis
Followers of Set: Vigor, Animalism, Serpentis
Gangrel: Resilience, Animalism, Protean
Giovanni: Vigor, Auspex, Necromancy
Lasombra: Vigor, Obfuscate, Obtenebration
Malkavian: Celerity, Auspex, Dementation
Nosferatu: Vigor, Obfuscate, Nightmare
Ravnos: Resilience, Animalism, Chimestry
Toreador: Celerity, Auspex, Majesty
Tremere: Resilience, Auspex, Thaumaturgy
Tzimisce: Resilience, Auspex, Vicissitude
Ventrue: Resilience, Animalism, Dominate

CN the Logos
2012-06-14, 01:23 AM
ETA: Oi, nevermind. That's what I get for commenting on a thread in the wee hours of the morning. :smallredface:

Aron Times
2012-06-25, 06:20 PM
I'd like to point out that nWoD Obtenebration is much weaker than its oWoD counterpart.

Obtenebration 1 lets you see in total darkness. You also get to see ghosts not in Twilight, but only in total darkness. However, none of the higher Obtenebration powers let you interact with them so it's not like it's useful.

Obtenebration 2 is Shadow Play, which used to be Obtenebration 1. It's nerfed in that it can't hurt people (no Stamina reduction when targeted by it), and it's basically like Silent Image in D&D 3.5 except that it's limited to shadows.

Obtenebration 3 is Shroud of Night, which used to be Obtenebration 2. Again, it can't hurt people, and by RAW, Auspex 1 or Obtenebration 1 negates it (probably an oversight by its creator, since it was made by a fan who won a contest).

Obtenebration 4 lets you teleport from one shadow to another. Perhaps one of the more useful powers provided by the discipline, since vampires are active at night, where there's a lot of shadows to use.

Obtenebration 5 is Shadow Form, which is similar to the oWoD Obtenebration 5, except that you can't reduce stamina with it.