PDA

View Full Version : Is Duskblade RAW legal in gestalt?

moritheil
2012-06-11, 11:37 PM
I'm not asking if duskblade is ever used in gestalt - clearly it is. I'm asking if it's technically contradicted by the RAW gestalt rules which disallow combo classes, or if those rules only apply to prestige classes and therefore duskblade (which is not a prestige class) is unaffected.

Thanks.

hushblade
2012-06-11, 11:47 PM
It only applies Prcs that advance class features of two classes. by RAW, even Prcs that advance them are only suggested against anyway xP.

Amphetryon
2012-06-12, 07:29 AM
From the SRD:

A gestalt character can’t combine two prestige classes at any level, although it’s okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class. Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations-such as the arcane trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight-should be prohibited if you’re using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what’s already a high-powered variant. Because it’s possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the game master is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it’s available only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters.
Emphasis mine. There's nothing there prohibiting base classes.

Aeryr
2012-06-12, 08:31 AM
As they have pointed out it's a suggestion. Not a hard rule, and even on the suggestions it is refered to PrC :smallsmile:

Of course having a suel arcanamarch // paladin isn't the same as having wizard / archivist / mysthic theurge (with early entry tricks) // erudite. So even if a valid suggestion it doesn't necesarely apply.

Actually that is not what needs to be feared:

One of my biggest balance concerns when gestalting is using two psionic classess with the same atribute because it leads to humongous quantitites of PP and with some ACF it can get out of control pretty fast.

The classess that normally burn resources to break the action economy can also be awesomely enhanced in gestalt. More resources make it easier to destroy the action economy.

Or a cleric can just be more fearsome clericzilla, getting more turn attempts in the other side (DN, Paladin etcetera) without losing any caster level... If you get 6 pools of turn undead how many turn undead would you get from one extra turning? How many permanencied buffs?

Also there are really few character concepts that cannot improve having druid on one side...

moritheil
2012-06-12, 10:33 AM
Thanks.

I would really say that anything (well anything int-based) would be enhanced by factotum, but that doesn't explode until you throw all your feats into it, and feats are especially at a premium in gestalt.

Aeryr
2012-06-12, 10:38 AM
Yes warblade / revenant blade // factotum can get out of hand. Throw font of inspiration to the mix and almost anything can get out of hand.