PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Non-Core cleric spells?

GreenSerpent
2012-06-12, 05:55 AM
Greetings,

In a PbP game I'm joining Clerics (the class I intend to play) gain all Core spells as soon as they are available. As normal.

However, they are also allowed to gain 1 non-core spell per level, up to and including the highest spell level they can cast. So a 20th level cleric would have 20 non-core spells.

Any suggestions for good spells to take? I'm not trying to break the game open, but I'd like to make good choices. I'll be joining at level 4, so 1st and 2nd level spells would be particularly nice for suggestions.

Thanks!

Slipperychicken
2012-06-12, 06:22 AM
Guidance of the Avatar (Clr2, Web enhancement) is very strong at +20 to one skill check, especially if you have some way to capitalize on high skill checks. Use it on the Bard when you need to lie past guards. It really saves you from that whole "failing skill checks" thing. If someone has ranks in Craft skills (or is an Artificer with UMD) it can help there, too.

Revivify is sweet if someone dies near you. Cheaper (1,000gp IIRC) rez, with no level loss? What is this madness?! But be quick: it has to be cast within one round of death to work. Very nice on a Craft Contingent Spell.

JeminiZero
2012-06-12, 07:16 AM
1. Ice Slick (Frostburn) Cleric Grease
1. Resurgence (SpC) GET THIS! No other level 1 spell can break baleful polymorph
1. Spiderhand (BoVD) Good for scouting
2. Adept Spirit (MoI) +1 to CL is nice if nothing else
2. Elation (BoED) +2 to morale to Str and Dex
2. Substitute Domain (CC) Usefulness depends on what domains you have access to
3. Blindsight (SpC) There is Greater Blindsight on L4, get one or the other.
3. Mass Lesser Vigor (SpC) Good if you are the healbot, and have DMM persist.
3. Mass Resist Energy (SpC) handy if you don't want to cast Resist energy repeatedly
3. Circle Dance (SpC) Handy divination
3. Sonorous Hum (SpC) Good with Elemental Monolith, and anything else that requires concentration.
3. Celestial Aspect (BoED) Flight. You could spontaneously cast this. Watch the sacrifice cost though.
4. Consumptive Field (SpC) Broken when used with DMM persist. Evil tag.
4. Sheltered Vitality (SpC) One of the very rare sources of immunity to ability damage and drain.
4. Dampen Magic (CC) a short lived AMF.
4. Sacred Item (CC) Utility, see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13206080&postcount=32) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13372931&postcount=17). Cast it on your armor, your party's armor, all your belongings etc.
4. Revenance (SpC) Use this to combo into Revivify
4. Wall of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos (SpC) battlefield control, possibly even party friendly!
4. Greater Blindsight (SpC) There is also blindsight at L3. Get one or the other.
5. Swift Etherealness (PHB2) Handy for disappearing while casting 1 round spells, like Summoning
5. Revivify (SpC) Discount Raise Dead, good with Revenance.
5. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SpC) Cleric haste, if you are missing an Arcanist, or he won't cast it. Also a nice buff.
5. Surge of Fortune (CC) Natural 20!
6. Energy Immunity (SpC) Self explanatory
6. Superior Resistance (SpC) Excellent buff
7. Brilliant Blade (SpC) Brilliant Energy weapons!
7. Renewal Pact (SpC) Contingent Panacea
7. Greater Plane Shift (SpC) The Cleric substitute for Greater Teleport
7. Mass Spell Resistance (SpC) Shortlived but party wide protection
8. Brilliant Aura (SpC) MASS Brilliant Energy weapons!
8. Chain Dispel (SpC) The best dispel accessible on the cleric spell list
8. Mass Death Ward (SpC) If your party does not have access to soulfire armor, this may be necessary to ward off wail of the banshee.
8. Veil of Undeath (SpC) Powerful immunities, but evil tag.
9. Summon Elemental Monolith (SpC) Powerful summon, but needs Sonorous Hum to really work well.

Togo
2012-06-12, 07:35 AM
2: Close wounds - because nothing saves lives like an immediate action healing spell

4: Sheltered Vitality - strongly recommended

Ranting Fool
2012-06-12, 08:25 AM
Oddly enough I really like this idea :smallsmile:

Aotrs Commander
2012-06-12, 08:28 AM
If you're planning to melee a lot, I've found Blade of Blood (PHB II, I think) to be extremely useful, since it's a Swift action for a bit of an extra damage boost, and after a level or few, taking the optional 5 hits for an extra 2D6 on top is a reasonable trade-off.

I second Elation as a choice, as the morale bonus to stats stacks with pretty much all the other buffs and has a stupidly large area of effect. Since we discovered it, it's become a standard party/monster buff spell.

Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is another nice complementary party buff, arguably better than Haste in terms of pure offence (again, frequently going on the Clericzilla NPCs.)

Thurbane
2012-06-12, 08:48 AM
I've used a similar houserule in a game I've DMd (2 non-core spells of each level 1 through 9, so 18 spells total).

I'd recommend grabbing at least a few with Swift or Immediate casting times, as these don't exist in core without Quicken Spell (or Feather Fall).

GreenSerpent
2012-06-13, 05:02 AM
Oop, should have mentioned I'm a Lawful Good Aventi. Also Divine Metamagic is banned.

BerronBrightaxe
2012-06-13, 05:58 AM
Celestial brilliance (http://dndtools.eu/spells/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/celestial-brilliance--63/)(BoED, lvl 4)

daylight on steriods :smallbiggrin:

doubles light sensitivity penalties, does damage to undead and evil outsiders and has a duration of 1 day/lvl...

not too bad of 1 casting per 10 days :smallcool:

note on spellresistance: if you cast it, you are the only one who isn't bother by it. the other members (or your potions) must make casterlvl checks or take a StA to lower or raise their spellresistance.