PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Looking for a particular item

DeadAggressor
2012-06-12, 12:02 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to either make or if there is a mechanic which would allow me to wear a mask that covers my entire face and as a free/swift action able to slide back/remove a portion covering one of my eyes (have this ability for each eye). What I'm attempting to do here is have both a Charm and Fearsome eye grafted onto me and cover them while dealing with them so they aren't affected by the eye's powers. Also I would need both eyes powers of sight (see thru darkness/magical darkness and also see invisibility) to still work while wearing the mask. I'm basically trying to recreate Lelouch from Code Geass.

Aegis013
2012-06-12, 12:23 PM
I don't think such an item exists in the books. You can ask your DM though. I would certainly allow you to obtain such an item.

ahenobarbi
2012-06-12, 12:27 PM
I don't think such an item exists in the books. You can ask your DM though. I would certainly allow you to obtain such an item.

++

(Ah I need to enter more characters or forum won't let me post =_=)

DeadAggressor
2012-06-12, 12:31 PM
I figured one wouldn't exist in the books, but what type of mechanics would be best to be able to make said helm? Would some form of telekinesis (used only for moving the slits) granted by the helm or some type of telepathic power that made those portions of the mask invisible work?

Demonic_Spoon
2012-06-12, 12:44 PM
Well the Blindfold of True Darkness gives you blindsight, which is better than see through magical darkness/see invisibility, so you could use that. I also think there's a feat from SS that allows you to be selective with who your gaze attack effects. The Doomwatcher template(DMGII) + a blindfold or closing your eyes could also be useful, though the LA is rather ridicolous for what it gives.

ahenobarbi
2012-06-12, 12:47 PM
Quickened Open/Close at-will item could do this. But would be expansive (2000 * 4 (spell level) * 1 (caster level) * 4 (instant effect) = 32'000 gp). You could get a significant discount if it would work only on the helmet.

whibla
2012-06-12, 01:44 PM
One possible, and non-magical approach, would simply be to have mirrored glass covering the eye sockets on your mask (glass-steeled to avoid breakage ofc). Whether or not this will work does depend, however, on how the gaze effects of those items work. If it it a standard gaze attack, then no problem, if someone has to meet your gaze (look into your eyes) for them to function then I guess it wouldn't.

If the latter is the case then I might suggest a quickened silent image to cover / reveal the eye sockets would also work. While people might see something odd about the eye sockets, they still can't see through the illusion as far as I'm aware.

*deity* help the first person with truesight you come across though...

DeadAggressor
2012-06-12, 08:25 PM
Quickened Open/Close at-will item could do this. But would be expansive (2000 * 4 (spell level) * 1 (caster level) * 4 (instant effect) = 32'000 gp). You could get a significant discount if it would work only on the helmet.

So where did you find this formula? And where did you find that instant effect?

VGLordR2
2012-06-12, 08:29 PM
So where did you find this formula? And where did you find that instant effect?

The Magic Item Creation Guidelines (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Creating_Magic_Items). These can also be found in the DMG.

DeadAggressor
2012-06-12, 09:47 PM
So using the formula Open/Close with Quicken Metamagic would cost 4x7x2000 with a no magic item Wizard right? What if said Wizard had magic items that let them cast 4th level spells at a much lower caster level? Would that legally be possible?

VGLordR2
2012-06-12, 10:04 PM
Open/Close is a Cantrip. This means that the price (when quickened) is 3x5x2000, or 30,000 GP. You could make it command word activated, to make the price 3x5x1800, or 27,000 GP. Also, you can make it so that it requires a skill check to use to multiply the base price by .9, and you can make it only usable by people of your alignment to multiply the price by .7. This puts the cost at 3x5x1800x.7x.9, or 17,010 GP. Also, I'm not sure this stacks with the alignment restriction, but you may be able to restrict it by class to multiply by another .7. This will put you at 11,907 GP.

Alternatively, you could just say that the creator stacked metamagic reducers and buy the item as if it were level 0. I'm pretty sure that works by RAW.

It won't by any means be game-breaking if you get it for less; I would personally reduce the price by half to limit the use of Open/Close to your mask.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-12, 10:20 PM
Well the Blindfold of True Darkness gives you blindsight, which is better than see through magical darkness/see invisibility, so you could use that. I also think there's a feat from SS that allows you to be selective with who your gaze attack effects. The Doomwatcher template(DMGII) + a blindfold or closing your eyes could also be useful, though the LA is rather ridicolous for what it gives.

It's from Serpent Kingdoms (even if it's in SS, SK takes precedence, given the publication date).

Narrowed Gaze [Monstrous]

Your gaze attack has a limited field of effect.

Prerequisites: Int 13, gaze attack.

Benefit: You may choose to limit your gaze attack to an active gaze. Doing so prevents you from accidentally affecting friends with your gaze.

Normal: A gaze attack functions constantly on all those within range, and it can also be used actively as an attack action.

Invader
2012-06-12, 10:32 PM
Open/Close is a Cantrip. This means that the price (when quickened) is 3x5x2000, or 30,000 GP. You could make it command word activated, to make the price 3x5x1800, or 27,000 GP. Also, you can make it so that it requires a skill check to use to multiply the base price by .9, and you can make it only usable by people of your alignment to multiply the price by .7. This puts the cost at 3x5x1800x.7x.9, or 17,010 GP. Also, I'm not sure this stacks with the alignment restriction, but you may be able to restrict it by class to multiply by another .7. This will put you at 11,907 GP.

Alternatively, you could just say that the creator stacked metamagic reducers and buy the item as if it were level 0. I'm pretty sure that works by RAW.

It won't by any means be game-breaking if you get it for less; I would personally reduce the price by half to limit the use of Open/Close to your mask.

Pretty much all of this ^

But wouldn't the cost go up significantly he wanted save DC's for the charm/fear that everything wasn't going to automatically make at anything higher than low levels?

DeadAggressor
2012-06-12, 10:38 PM
All I need is a helmet that I can see thru but people can't see my eyes, which would negate my eyes charm/fear abilities but still allow the see in darkness/magical darkness and invisibility. Then when I want to use my eyes gaze attack I just open the slits and allow people to see my eyes.

Update:

Would it possible to have two portions of the mask (eye slots) be made invisible and visible at will?

VGLordR2
2012-06-12, 11:39 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, you could just get yourself a Collar of Perpetual Attendance (Unseen Servant at will, 2000 GP). Tell your servant to open or close your mask every time you make a certain gesture. This will effectively do whatever you want. Also, since this collar is literally derived from the custom item rules, you can apply all the stuff that I mentioned previously to it to make it even cheaper.

ahenobarbi
2012-06-13, 01:13 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, you could just get yourself a Collar of Perpetual Attendance (Unseen Servant at will, 2000 GP). Tell your servant to open or close your mask every time you make a certain gesture.

Unluckily directing spell requires move action.

VGLordR2
2012-06-13, 01:17 AM
Unluckily directing spell requires move action.

I would interpret a command such as "open or close my eye slots whenever I raise my left arm to a ninety degree angle" to be one of the repetitive actions of which an Unseen Servant is capable.

ahenobarbi
2012-06-13, 08:39 AM
I would interpret a command such as "open or close my eye slots whenever I raise my left arm to a ninety degree angle" to be one of the repetitive actions of which an Unseen Servant is capable.

Good idea. You'd just need to create & instruct new servant every CL hours.