PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Holy Symbols

INoKnowNames
2012-06-12, 02:55 PM
I am aware of the Reliquery Holy Symbol in the Magic Item Compendium.

I am also aware of the 350 gp Deity specific Symbols in Complete Champion. At the very least, I could go with such an item and upgrade it with whatever I can find that would apply to a Holy Symbol.

Are there such upgrades? I think I remember seeing mention of some type of forging that came from the Eberron books.

Although that's not even needed if another decent Holy Symbol could be found.

I'm almost willing to try to figure out how Weapons of Legacy works so I can try the Divine Spark item...

Any suggestions on a Holy Symbol? For a Good aligned Cleric of Pelor, if that helps.

Airanath
2012-06-12, 08:46 PM
Eberron has a special material, Flamewrought steel. It gives a caster level boost on Turn Attempts. If you want to go nova destroy undead, it might help, otherwise, skip it.

INoKnowNames
2012-06-13, 10:23 AM
Eberron has a special material, Flamewrought steel. It gives a caster level boost on Turn Attempts. If you want to go nova destroy undead, it might help, otherwise, skip it.

This is what I meant. Though, I'm not completely sure exactly what it means to have a boost to my level when turning.

I found an item called the True Holy Symbol in the Planar Handbook, which gives a +2 to the Turning Check. Is this better or worse than the Flametouched Iron Holy Symbol?

And could either of these symbols possibly be combined with the one from Complete Champion?

It seems like aiming for the Greater Holy Symbol in Defenders of the Faith for the free Empower Turning sounds like a good option...

Telonius
2012-06-13, 10:40 AM
This is what I meant. Though, I'm not completely sure exactly what it means to have a boost to my level when turning.

Actually called Flametouched Iron; I believe that means that you get a bonus on your Turning Damage. Turning Damage is 2d6+Cleric Level+Charisma Modifier, and tells you how many HD of Undead you can turn.

INoKnowNames
2012-06-13, 10:53 AM
Actually called Flametouched Iron; I believe that means that you get a bonus on your Turning Damage. Turning Damage is 2d6+Cleric Level+Charisma Modifier, and tells you how many HD of Undead you can turn.

So, a True Holy Symbol would make it easier for me to Turn Undead by supplying a bonus to the Check.... and a Flametouched Iron Holy Symbol would increase the number of Undead Turned by increasing the level of Cleric when it comes to said Turning Damage.

Would it be possible to purchase a True Flametouched Iron Holy Symbol? And maybe have it fashioned as a Sundisc of Pelor? 500 + 750 + 350 in total for such a symbol, increasing my check by 2, my damage by 1, and giving a small bonus to healing.... although I could drop that last part and save a little change...

Ravens_cry
2012-06-13, 01:11 PM
Gold is literally 10 times the cost of silver in D&D, so ask your DM if you can have a gold holy symbol for 250 gp?
Gold would be more suited for a cleric of the Burning Hate Pelor.

INoKnowNames
2012-06-13, 01:41 PM
Gold is literally 10 times the cost of silver in D&D, so ask your DM if you can have a gold holy symbol for 250 gp?

What exactly does it being made of Gold do? Other than convince the adhd member of the party to need to take it.

Ravens_cry
2012-06-13, 01:51 PM
What exactly does it being made of Gold do? Other than convince the adhd member of the party to need to take it.
You worship a sun god, and gold is commonly associated with the sun.
Silver is for moon worshipping lunatics.

INoKnowNames
2012-06-13, 02:41 PM
You worship a sun god, and gold is commonly associated with the sun.
Silver is for moon worshipping lunatics.

I understand that. But I don't think I need to pay 250 more for absolutely nothing when I'm already paying 1600 for a Holy Symbol made with a potion of Pelor's power, enhanced with Flametouched Iron, and shaped into a Sun disk...

Invader
2012-06-13, 02:47 PM
You could always make it an item familiar and get all the fun benefits that go along with that. If you base cost is already 1600 just add another 900 to the base price, I'd say its well worth the extra feat.

INoKnowNames
2012-06-14, 10:38 AM
You could always make it an item familiar and get all the fun benefits that go along with that. If you base cost is already 1600 just add another 900 to the base price, I'd say its well worth the extra feat.

I might not have the room for such a feat.... even with flaws... good idea otherwise...

Slipperychicken
2012-06-14, 12:25 PM
For 50gp, you can get an armor or shield Sanctified. That means it counts as a Holy Symbol, which can be nice if something decides to break or steal your actual Symbol, and you don't feel like taking the action to put one of your three spares back around your neck. Also gives a small excuse for 2-paragraph descriptions of the illustrations covering your +1 Fullplate. And if someone thinks you're not roleplaying well enough, you can point to the number of times that words like "sanctified" and "holy" appear on your sheet.

Agent 451
2012-06-14, 03:46 PM
Oooo, have the inlay work done in flametouched iron!

INoKnowNames
2012-06-14, 10:43 PM
For 50gp, you can get an armor or shield Sanctified. That means it counts as a Holy Symbol, which can be nice if something decides to break or steal your actual Symbol, and you don't feel like taking the action to put one of your three spares back around your neck. Also gives a small excuse for 2-paragraph descriptions of the illustrations covering your +1 Fullplate. And if someone thinks you're not roleplaying well enough, you can point to the number of times that words like "sanctified" and "holy" appear on your sheet.

Oooo, have the inlay work done in flametouched iron!

If, on this specific character, I wasn't using Armor or Shielding, this would be a pretty cool thing. +5 Sacred Holy True Flametouched such and such Armor and Shielding sounds cool.

I guess this thread is done if no one has any other bright ideas for a standard Holy Symbol upgrade.

Vegan Zombie
2012-06-15, 12:29 AM

This is really cool. What book is it from? I like simple cheap upgrades like this. Like the one that lets you store a wand in your weapon

darkdragoon
2012-06-15, 01:03 AM
Sanctified is from Dungeonscape IIRC.

The Greater Holy Symbol is 3.0, but gives empowered turning as a bonus feat.

Acanous
2012-06-15, 01:11 AM
Boosting your cleric level is the absolute best thing you can possibly do when actually using your turn attempts for turning undead, unless you are a Radiant Servant of the Burning Hate Pelor.

Why? Because undead with HD equal to or less than half your level are outright destroyed.

INoKnowNames
2012-06-15, 01:49 AM
The Greater Holy Symbol is 3.0, but gives empowered turning as a bonus feat.

Indeed. That's something I intend to shoot for later.

Boosting your cleric level is the absolute best thing you can possibly do when actually using your turn attempts for turning undead, unless you are a Radiant Servant of the Burning Hate Pelor.

Why? Because undead with HD equal to or less than half your level are outright destroyed.

I don't see how that would be any different for a Radiant Servant of Pelor, except for maybe them having Greater Turning and being able to kill Undead naturally through that.

Also, what do you guys mean by the Burning Hate? Just out of curiosity.

Agent 451
2012-06-15, 02:05 AM
This. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor_the_Burning_Hate)

INoKnowNames
2012-06-15, 02:37 AM
This. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor_the_Burning_Hate)

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity, though the level of Jump Checks required to leap to such a silly conclusion is simply beyond me, let alone my focus for this thread.

So... 'bout them Holy Symbols.

animewatcha
2012-06-15, 11:32 PM
If are you a OA shaman or monk/cleric/insert-combo-here with Divine Spark ( or whatever that legacy item is ) embedded in your forehead and need an impromptu silver weapon, proceed to give head.

INoKnowNames
2012-06-15, 11:37 PM
What are you talking about, animewatcha?

The Bandicoot
2012-06-16, 12:39 AM
Basically what I'm thinking he means is this: 1. Imbed holy symbol in forehead 2. Headbut people 3.??? 4. Profit

Igneel
2012-06-16, 12:46 AM
I remember there where several 'new' (read as: 3.0 material) special materials introduced in the 'Magic of Faerun' book that were interesting. Granted they are largely meant to be used for weapons/armor, at least one is potentially of interest.

It includes a list of descriptions for several metals that includes Copper, Silver, Gold and Platinum, along with unusual metals. Most of them give minor bonuses or resistances to certain elements, like Gold for example grants Fire & Acid Resist 2 on the item, along with treating the item a category heavier then the norm.

Living Metal is the one I think is most interesting to note, as its a metal that repairs itself 1 hp/min, but sadly loses this once destroyed. +100gp price tag/lb of non-weapon/armor item.

But then if we were worried about it breaking we would just get it made of Aurorum from 'Book of Exalted Deeds' that if it gets destroyed all you have to do is gather up the pieces and it fixes itself in a full-round. +4,000gp price tag for weapons/armors, no listed price for non-weapon/armor items.

moritheil
2012-06-16, 12:55 AM

I understand that. But I don't think I need to pay 250 more for absolutely nothing when I'm already paying 1600 for a Holy Symbol made with a potion of Pelor's power, enhanced with Flametouched Iron, and shaped into a Sun disk...

For what it's worth, I think it's a cool idea, and a way to show how your character is willing to be impractical due to zeal for his deity. You certainly don't have to do it, but if I roll up a cleric of Pelor I'd seriously consider doing this, assuming it wasn't a huge share of my starting funds.

animewatcha
2012-06-16, 02:08 AM
Can items of legacy be made into item familiars?

Igneel
2012-06-16, 08:23 PM
Can items of legacy be made into item familiars?

According to the D20srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) the only real requirements you need to make an item into a item familiar is that it costs at least 2k gp, be usable by the character, and have a permanent magical effect the character can use. So all in all, it would seem so.

While your at it, might as well look into making a Relic (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-divine--56/sanctify-relic--2503/) (Complete Divine/MiC), Ancestral Relic (http://dndtools.eu/feats/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/ancestral-relic--70/) (Book of Exalted Deeds) for some additional abilities/powers ^^