PDA

View Full Version : Is there any spammy class that has utility?

andecoco
2012-06-12, 06:29 PM
As a new player, I'm slightly bothered by the Vancian magic system. I understand it's to preserve mechanical balance, but it's not spammy enough for me. :smallsmile:

I'd be fine with a huge hit in power, but is there any class I can go that can spam abilities that have utility all day?

tyckspoon
2012-06-12, 06:31 PM
Sounds like you want the invocation classes, Warlock (Complete.. Mage, I think? I can never remember what's in Arcane and what's in Mage) and Dragon Fire Adept (Dragon Magic.)

Edit: Reserve Feats may also scratch your itch; they provide a minor magical ability that you can use as much as you like as long as you keep a real spell of a certain type in reserve to power it. Said feats are also found in the Complete Spellcaster books (Mage/Arcane/Divine.)

Vladislav
2012-06-12, 06:33 PM
Try Tome of Battle. All the martial classes have a per-encounter abilities, and some can even be recovered for multi-encounter use, not spamming every turn, but close.

Ezekiul
2012-06-12, 06:34 PM
Warlock, Dragonfire Adept, and (to some extent) the sorcerer are spammy.The warlock and DFA get unlimited use abilities and the sorcerer just gets a higher number of spells per day than a wizard.

Siosilvar
2012-06-12, 06:36 PM
Sounds like you want the invocation classes, Warlock (Complete.. Mage, I think? I can never remember what's in Arcane and what's in Mage) and Dragon Fire Adept (Dragon Magic.)

Edit: Reserve Feats may also scratch your itch; they provide a minor magical ability that you can use as much as you like as long as you keep a real spell of a certain type in reserve to power it. Said feats are also found in the Complete Spellcaster books (Mage/Arcane/Divine.)

Warlock's in Arcane, reserve feats are in Mage and Champion.

docnessuno
2012-06-12, 06:56 PM
Seconding Warlock and Dragonfire adept.
Martial characters don't have much in terms of utility (or, at least, out-of-combat utility)

Fyermind
2012-06-12, 07:11 PM
Also consider Binders (Tome of Magic) and Incarnum users (Magic of Incarnum). They have less utility but more options if that makes any sense.

Theurge classes can often spam spells all day without running out if that qualifies.

+1 on warlock and DFA, I tend to think of DFA as the stronger of the two, but there is a lot of stuff out there for warlocks for those with the patience to google.

sonofzeal
2012-06-12, 07:21 PM
Incarnates (Magic of Incarnum) and Binders (Tome of Magic) might be what you're looking for.

dspeyer
2012-06-13, 01:20 AM
Could you do this as an artificer with a bandoleer of eternal wands?

This is an actual question for people who know the crafting rules better.

marcielle
2012-06-13, 01:43 AM
Warlock Invocations have plenty of utility and no limit on use. Thing like Darkness, flight, etc. Their damage isn't stellar to begin with and falls off a bit at higher level without prestige classing but they retain their utility and never run out of anything and have a good range on their laserspam.

Dragonfire adept has a bit less out of combat utility but has powerful crowd control and debuffs, as well as the ability to do some pretty painful things with the right feats. They have a mid range area of effect spam instead of long range. Slightly fightier, also never runs out of anything and can achieve IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZOR at later levels.

Martial initiator classes are all stronger than the invocation users in a fight but have less utility still. You can use each ability once before taking a round to recharge, but out of battle you technically never run out. Highlights include non-magical teleportation, at will greater Invisibility, ignoring any ongoing status effects and bypassing DR and hardness of everything. Devastating in battle and can spam all day but has to take 6 seconds to recharge once in awhile.

Sorcerors. As a full caster, they are the most powerful but their limit of spells known gives them less versatility than a wizard and they can't spam properly until MUCH later. Best class but probably not what you are looking for unless you start at about 8-10.

Krazzman
2012-06-13, 01:49 AM
Could you do this as an artificer with a bandoleer of eternal wands?

This is an actual question for people who know the crafting rules better.

Yes but only after a few levels in.

Little Brother
2012-06-13, 01:50 AM
I'm going to second Theurge.

Though, for the record, TOB has utility. Mundane teleports are nice, the throw line is surprisingly versatile, and don't tell me mountain hammer doesn't have uses.

Jeff the Green
2012-06-13, 02:06 AM
Another option is something like Wildshape Ranger 5/Master of Many Forms 8/Warshaper 5/Chameleon 2. While you technically have a limited number of wildshape uses per day, you can switch out forms at will. Chameleon lets you take a different Assume Supernatural Ability each day.

There's also the Recharge Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/rechargeMagic.htm) variant from UA and the SRD. I've never played it and don't know whether it's even remotely balanced, but it does what you want.

Feralventas
2012-06-13, 02:17 AM
Warlock's been covered. I once heard it described as-
"What if everything you ever wanted,
was to fly around shooting magic missiles all day?"

Dragonfire Adept also works well.

Binder Does have a recharge, but it's a few rounds.

Tome of Battle utility things need to be taken out of combative context. Can't find something? Scent via Hunter's Stance. Bridge is out? Teleport 50ft. Want to be Really classy about it? Leaping Dragon Stance gives you a default +10ft to any jump you make before your Jump check modifies it. Distance jumps become D20+10+your jump modifier, and vertical ascents are ((1d20+your Jump modifier)/4)+10, with an easy 13 to 15ft jump at low levels to get past walls, or pull all kinds of shenanigans with non-magical means.

And of course Desert Wind school for when you REALLY need to start that forrest fire for distraction purposes.

marcielle
2012-06-13, 05:31 AM
Don't forget Iron heart Surge. Become a vampire, walk into sun and activate it to make your DM drop his jaw(note: do not actually do this).

Suddo
2012-06-13, 11:02 AM
Don't forget Iron heart Surge. Become a vampire, walk into sun and activate it to make your DM drop his jaw(note: do not actually do this).
Actually this is exact what you should do.

Flickerdart
2012-06-13, 11:10 AM
Encounter-based abilities? Utility? Sir! Sir! Look ye no further than the Factotum of Dungeonscape! Powered by Inspiration Points that reset every encounter, Factotums also have all skills as class skills. They're nothing like anything else in the game, but that's just because they're better.

Bloodgruve
2012-06-13, 12:20 PM
Encounter-based abilities? Utility? Sir! Sir! Look ye no further than the Factotum of Dungeonscape! Powered by Inspiration Points that reset every encounter, Factotums also have all skills as class skills. They're nothing like anything else in the game, but that's just because they're better.

^
If you build for Iaijutsu Focus you can be a monster in melee and still have a ton of skills and some spells and healing daily. This is my current character and I love it.

As stated prior Warlock can fit this but you may want to look at Dread Necromancer, Beguiler or Warmage too. They are spontaneous casters, still have spells per day but you can cast anything you have access to. Couple those classes with Reserve Feats and you can get spammy. Psionics works off a points per day system that you might like also.

I was put off by the Vancian system also but I have come to really enjoy it especially with all of the content available in 3.5. Its really dependent on your DM though, if you only get a few encounters per day Vancian is very strong. If you're dungeon crawling all the time it loses some of its strength but is still very powerful if you do it right.

GL
Blood~

kharmakazy
2012-06-13, 12:42 PM

Also mountain hammer. Punch holes in adamantine walls with your man parts.
Masterwork manacles? Chew through them.

nyarlathotep
2012-06-13, 02:19 PM
As a new player, I'm slightly bothered by the Vancian magic system. I understand it's to preserve mechanical balance, but it's not spammy enough for me. :smallsmile:

BWAHAHAHAHA.

Snark aside you'll probably want warlock, DFA, dragon shaman, a tome of battle class, or stock up on reserve feats.

Roguenewb
2012-06-13, 02:36 PM
Acidic Splatter is really nice if you get some sneak attack dice.

Novawurmson
2012-06-13, 02:44 PM
Also mountain hammer. Punch holes in adamantine walls with your man parts.
Masterwork manacles? Chew through them.

"Ha! I just punched holes in these manacles!"

"No, you're still stuck in - "

"I PUNCHED HOLES IN THEM."

Harry
2012-06-13, 06:50 PM
Well there's always go wizard with the hathran prestige class with a acorn of far travel So you can have your prepared cake and eat it spontaneously :smallsmile: there's also the spell points variety rules which does the same thing Basically but if you want a simple 1 2 3 deal then go warlock there very spammy

dspeyer
2012-06-13, 10:21 PM
You might try playing a monster. Brass Dragons get cone of sleep, line of fire (cone with a feat), speak with animals, flight, burrowing and blindsense unlimited. Vampire Spawn get dominate person, energy drain and gaseous form. Bralani get blur, charm person, gust of wind, mirror image, wind wall, flight and tongues. And that's just from the SRD.

Arcanist
2012-06-13, 10:55 PM
I'm going to second Theurge.

Though, for the record, TOB has utility. Mundane teleports are nice, the throw line is surprisingly versatile, and don't tell me mountain hammer doesn't have uses.

I'm curious if anyone has found a way to advance Invocations Incarnum and Binding all at the same time... without tristalt of course :smallamused:

It would certainly be a build worth the ages...

Anywho! If your going for Theurge i recommend going for Invocation/Arcane. Most would say "go for the Ur-Lock!" But me? Nah... to predictable... we need more Variation! while an Ur-Lock gets 9 for Divine and assbackwards immunities... and the reliability of Invocations...

... Wait why am I in support of Invocation/Arcane? :smallconfused:

killem2
2012-06-13, 11:21 PM
How about psionic classes? It seems like one of the craziest classes, ultimate access to just all kinds of abilities, and it kind of is a spammy class.

Psyren
2012-06-14, 09:18 AM
Incarnate and Totemist never run out of juice either, though both tend to be a little more melee-focused. But slapping a manticore belt on your Totemist and showering casters with a volley of spikes is always fun times. :smallbiggrin: