PDA

View Full Version : Single class Theurge entry?

Fyermind
2012-06-12, 07:06 PM
A Warmage 1/Rainbow Servant 10 casts both arcane and divine spells as a warmage meeting the casting requirements to enter Mystic Theurge.

Would a Warmage 1/Rainbow Servant 10/Mystic Theurge 9 cast spells as a level 29 warmage assuming text trumps table for rainbow servant?

Does this extend to a spontaneous divination wizard ACF with Ultimate magus?

I am guessing there isn't clear RAW for this and that it was out of the scope of the designers, but if you guys could note whether you are using RAW or your own interpretations that would be great.

Toliudar
2012-06-12, 07:15 PM
As you anticipated, no. You don't have a "divine spellcasting class" in this build, so the level of spellcasting is not advanced by that part of mystic theurge.

hushblade
2012-06-12, 07:22 PM
What is a divine spellcasting class? A class the allows you to cast divine spells? he has that now. It could be argued it works pretty well.

Eldonauran
2012-06-12, 07:25 PM
All the character has is access to the divine spells, the spells are 'added to his spellcasting list'. He is still an arcane caster.

hushblade
2012-06-12, 07:28 PM
They are cast as divine spells, not arcane, Can you point me to RAW that defines what differentiates a divine caster and an arcane caster casting divine spells?

Eldonauran
2012-06-12, 07:34 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure (read: quite confident but allowing for error) that every casting class has a tiny snipit under the 'spells' section in their description that states:

A _____ casts _____ spells

Ie, a cleric casts divine spells. A wizard casts arcane spells. Same for warmage. Its obvious at that point whether or not the class is an arcane casting class or a divine casting class. At least, in my opinion.

From what I can see, adding divine spells to your class doesn't change its casting type. Rainbow servant enhances your base spellcasting and adds to it. It doesnt change how it works. A warmage is still an arcane casting class, even if it can cast a few divine spells. If you'd have said that the character is a divine caster, I'd agree 100%. But he still possesses no divine casting class.

Daftendirekt
2012-06-12, 08:29 PM
Well, the Cleric Spell Access feature of Rainbow Servant does say "such spells are cast as divine spells if they don't appear on the sorcerer/wizard or bard spell lists."

So, RAW, it meets the entry requirements. However, you wouldn't benefit from Mystic Theurge. While this warmage would get to cast divine spells from having rainbow servant, it is itself still an arcane casting class and not a divine casting class. It wouldn't get double advancement per level from Mystic Theurge in any way.

Kazyan
2012-06-12, 08:33 PM
If you're more concerned about the double-advancing instead of the Warmage, just use a Sha'ir, from Dragon Magazine 315.

Feralventas
2012-06-12, 08:38 PM
http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-faerun--23/southern-magician--2683/

Prep your arcane spells as divine, requires 2nd level arcane spells.

Wizard3 into Mystic Theurge at 4th.

Gosh spellcasting is silly.

Cor1
2012-06-12, 08:49 PM
It may get silly, but technically it's possible to get an Illithid Erudite StP to qualify for Mind Mage, I think. It would be very silly.

I think I once tried to make it work and found no way to do it simply. Maybe a variant of the CL/ML Over 8000 World Record (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6654.40), with Ur-priest shoved in somehow instead of Sublime Chord? It would get Triple 9s at the stupidest CL possible short of Pun-pun. (I think the Over 8000 one had the full spell lists anyway...)

Little Brother
2012-06-13, 02:30 AM
http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-faerun--23/southern-magician--2683/

Prep your arcane spells as divine, requires 2nd level arcane spells.

Wizard3 into Mystic Theurge at 4th.

Gosh spellcasting is silly.Doesn't work. Theurge advances a divine CLASS. Wizard, regardless of what feats you use, is still an arcane class.

That said, spontaneous divination is a class feature, thus making wizard a spontaneous class, which would let it gain from both sides of Ultimate Magus.

But a monoclassed wizard cannot benefit from the other half of theurge.

Zaq
2012-06-13, 02:32 AM
What is a divine spellcasting class?

A miserable little pile of spells!

I'd apologize, but I'm not sorry.

Moogleking
2012-06-13, 02:56 AM
Doesn't work. Theurge advances a divine CLASS. Wizard, regardless of what feats you use, is still an arcane class.

That said, spontaneous divination is a class feature, thus making wizard a spontaneous class, which would let it gain from both sides of Ultimate Magus.

But a monoclassed wizard cannot benefit from the other half of theurge.

Use Precocious Apprentice and take one level of Cleric; Mystic Theurge at level 2 :smalltongue:?

Aeryr
2012-06-13, 03:54 AM
Use Precocious Apprentice and take one level of Cleric; Mystic Theurge at level 2 :smalltongue:?

You are probably going to have a hard time to meet the skill requeriments.

Sha'ir is probably what you want. Sha'ir into geomancer is interesting.

Little Brother
2012-06-13, 04:27 AM
Use Precocious Apprentice and take one level of Cleric; Mystic Theurge at level 2 :smalltongue:?Nope. Precocious Apprentice requires arcane CL 1, and a class with a casting stat Int or Cha(Which must be 15+). With what you are trying, you have neither. And even if it were to work, you still don't have an arcane class to advance, so you're giving up HD, BAB, and Fort saves for nothing.

No, an Illumian Cleric 1/Wizard 1 with Heighten will give you Theurge at level 3, and I'm pretty sure that's really the earliest you can enter, excluding the Sha'ir(Which is pretty vague on whether it's a divine caster or not).

Aeryr
2012-06-13, 04:42 AM
Any race with heighten, earth sense and earth spell can get into theurge at 3 if it meets the skill points prerequisites. So in most cases it's going to be delayed to 4. That means that any race but humans, strongheart halflings and the like can get there at 4 using a flaw (humans and the like do not need flaws).

Mysthic Theurge requires 6 ranks in knowledge (arcana) and 6 ranks in knowledge (religion).