PDA

View Full Version : [D&D Next] Fighter Fix

Yakk
2012-06-12, 08:38 PM
Because what is a D&D version without a fighter fix?

The goal is to create a D&D next style fighter that isn't massively outshone by other characters in combat.

General Fix
Beginning characters have a class and racial HD. Racial HD are as follows:
Halfling: 1d4
Elf: 1d6
Human: 1d8
Dwarf: 1d10
These HD may be expended to heal just like class HD. (HD do not add to your HP in D&D Next)

(This patches the noticable lack of HD healing at level 1.)

Fighter Features:
The Fighter has a +3 proficiency bonus with all weapons.

At level 1, the Fighter has two attack options.

Power Attack: As an action on the Fighter's turn, the Fighter can make an attack. This attack deals an extra weapon damage die, plus an extra damage die for every 2 fighter levels.

Cleave: As an action on the Fighter's turn, the fighter can attack 2 different enemies. The fighter may move between these two attacks. At level 3, 7, 11 and every 4 levels afterwards, the Fighter can attack an additional enemy. At level 5, 9, and every 4 levels afterwards, the Fighter's Cleave attack deals an extra weapon damage die.

Sample power attack and cleave progression:

PowerAtk Cleave
1 2[W] 1[W]x2
2 3[W] 1[W]x2
3 3[W] 1[W]x3
4 4[W] 1[W]x3
5 4[W] 2[W]x3
6 5[W] 2[W]x3
7 5[W] 2[W]x4
8 6[W] 2[W]x4
9 6[W] 3[W]x4
10 7[W] 3[W]x4

The Fighter loses his +2 to damage bonus.

So a Dwarven Slayer with 16 strength using a Greataxe would attack at +6 to hit for 2d12+3 damage (average 16), 3 damage on a miss, or could attack two targets at +6 to hit each for 1d12+3 damage each, 3 damage on a miss, and would have 26 HP (assuming 14 con).

A level 10 Dwarven Slayer with 14 Con would have 80 HP, 10d12+1d10 HD, and would do 7d12+3 damage on a hit (average 45.5).

So as a percentage of the fighter's own HP, the level 10 fighter deals a bit less damage than the level 1 fighter.

Cleave is targeted to deal about 1/2 the damage of Power Attack. It should be useful for more than just clearing orcs at higher levels.

Thoughts?

Ziegander
2012-06-13, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure what you're trying to fix with this. I haven't seen any complaints that the Fighter dealt too little damage at 1st level or at 3rd level, just that he has too little defense and precious too few options in combat. This "fix" just deals moar damage and his options are "deal damage" or "deal damage."

Morph Bark
2012-06-13, 11:02 AM
Thoughts?

This fighter fix came prematurely.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-13, 11:04 AM
In my experience, the D&D Next Fighter is overpowered instead of underpowered.

Yakk
2012-06-13, 01:25 PM
Start with Cleric. High strength instead of wisdom. Grab +1d6 1 hour long daily spell and the spiritual hammer spell. Equip a warhammer. Go with the slayer theme.

For the cost of 1 first level spell, you are matching the combat performance of a fighter for 1 hour. With the second, you exceed it for a combat.

The fighter's main feature is +1 to hit and +2 to damage and weapon proficiencies. Clerics can get the weapon proficiency via their choice of god, and can get +1d6 damage for an hour via a spell. What remains is a higher strength bonus than the cleric of moradin.

And the cleric, after he matches the fighter's combat performance for an hour, can cast a 4d6 damage spell once per day.

DoomHat
2012-06-13, 08:02 PM
Hey didn't you sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement or two? Just a little bit?

Why are you posting homebrew for something still in playtest? Take it to the Wizards forums if you haven't already. That is what they are for.

Yakk
2012-06-13, 10:05 PM
No, nothing written above violates the NDA I agreed to, as far as I'm able to tell. I'm sorry if my talking about it offends you.

Deepbluediver
2012-06-13, 10:53 PM
Hey didn't you sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement or two? Just a little bit?

Why are you posting homebrew for something still in playtest? Take it to the Wizards forums if you haven't already. That is what they are for.

I think we're allowed to discuss it, but technically only if everyone else who reads/posts in the thread has ALSO signed the NDA.
But given that I haven't tried the playtest myself, I have absolutely no idea what the OP is talking about.

So yeah, you might have better luck with this on the official WotC forums.

toapat
2012-06-13, 10:57 PM
I think we're allowed to discuss it, but technically only if everyone else who reads/posts in the thread has ALSO signed the NDA.
But given that I haven't tried the playtest myself, I have absolutely no idea what the OP is talking about.

So yeah, you might have better luck with this on the official WotC forums.

the files have been posted to torrent sites publicly, i think posting to the forums of an ex-commisar of wizards is not really that much of a problem.

Although i have the files, i couldnt make heads or tails of the game, like how those boxed adventures never made sense.