PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing Avatar TLA - Monks

Zorzark
2012-06-12, 09:00 PM
Hello everyone! My it's been a while ince I've been to these forums, but let's cut to the chase!

Ahem.

I'm going to be in a game of 3.5 Avatar, using this homebrew here: http://www.brainmurk.com/kasan/Avatar_RPG.pdf

Now, in keeping with the setting there's no casting classes: bards, wizards/sorcerers, clerics, etc. Magically fueled fighting classes are also out - like the crusader and the swordsage.

My DM is trying to homebrew up some mechanic for chi-blocking, and giving that as an ability to the monk to make up for taking away all of their supernatural stuff - ki strike and the like (in return they also get full BAB now). Currently the way she sees it working is that is that if the monk makes 2 consecutive hits on flurry of blows then one of the target's limbs becomes disabled.

I'm not really one for homebrew or in-depth mechanics, but she said she was too busy to ask the internet, so I'm here in her stead. Any thoughts on this way of handling chi-blocking, or further suggestions/critiques?

Thank you!

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-12, 09:17 PM
Well, the Bending project had tried to homebrew their own monks (martial artists). I'm not sure WHY exactly they were scrapped, but I saved the thread just in case.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61352

Randomguy
2012-06-12, 09:34 PM
I suggest increasing skill points to 6+int per level, and adding wisdom or dexterity to damage instead of strength (so they can be evasive but damaging, like Ty-lee).

You could add another stunning-fist based feat, like the ones in complete warrior (freezing the lifeblood, pain touch and weakening touch) except it uses a stunning attempt to remove bending ability for 1 round per effective monk level.

I think the other version of the bending project had their own chi blocking feats, but as I recall none of them were any good.

Fable Wright
2012-06-12, 11:02 PM
I would say that every hit after the first in a full attack disables one arm. When you lose an arm, in addition to other penalties, the DC for all Bending checks increases by 10. If another arm is disabled, you lose all bending. If a hypothetical third arm would be disabled, the character is paralyzed.

Zorzark
2012-06-13, 12:22 AM
Excellent. I'll pass these ideas on to her. Thanks, guys =)