PDA

View Full Version : Megaman Battle Network Tabletop (Let's see how long we survive now shall we?)

The_Admiral
2012-06-13, 02:55 AM
OKAY! I'm bringing this back to life with a shiny new thread.

First question, Is a D20 the perfect dice for this thing or should we switch to a D6?

Old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155873)

The Zoat
2012-06-14, 05:18 AM
Wasn't this mastergilgamesh's project?

The_Admiral
2012-06-14, 10:06 AM
Note the past tense.

Don't worry I asked permission.

so any answers? We need direction!

Welknair
2012-06-14, 10:14 AM
As far as dice-rolling goes, it really depends on the type of feel you're going for. 1d20 is nice as it gives a large array of results which modifiers can easily be added to. Downside is that you're just as likely to roll an "Average" number (10 or 11) as an "Extreme" number (1 or 20). There's no bellcurve. If you want a more curved distribution, you'll want to use more, smaller dice. Many games have a mechanic where instead of adding a number to a roll, you simply roll more dice. This of course can lead to requiring ridiculous numbers of dice. What exactly do you want out of your dice-rolling?

The_Admiral
2012-06-14, 10:57 AM
We'll have to ask the Creative Director for his vision,*Glances at mastergilgamesh* and I'll have to argue it out with him, but I want a system where epic failures and success are rare.

Welknair
2012-06-14, 11:35 AM
We'll have to ask the Creative Director for his vision,*Glances at mastergilgamesh* and I'll have to argue it out with him, but I want a system where epic failures and success are rare.

If that's what you're going for, you'd want to be rolling multiple dice, one way or the other. Perhaps 2d10? You could always try to lift core roll mechanics from another game.

The_Admiral
2012-06-15, 09:05 AM
SO MANY CHOICES! Waitaminute! I can use 3d6 and convert d20 bonuses to bonuses for this system! I THANK YOU MASTERMIND'S MANUAL!

would that work?

Welknair
2012-06-15, 09:54 AM
SO MANY CHOICES! Waitaminute! I can use 3d6 and convert d20 bonuses to bonuses for this system! I THANK YOU MASTERMIND'S MANUAL!

would that work?

It would, but also keep in mind that d20 bonuses were made for a 1d20 roll, with each 1 representing a 5% chance of success or failure. These odds get all whacked out with a bellcurve - you can no longer rely on the idea that a +1 is a flat +5%. Rather, the chance of success is going to be far more variable, and successive increases more and more valuable.

With 1d20, a +5 is nice. It means your average result goes from 10/11 to 15/16 (For the sake of this example, let's just say 10 to 15). Both of these still occur 1/20th of the time. Someone without that bonus would still get 15 one out of ever 20 rolls, on average. Sure the +5 person would get above it more often, but that isn't what I'm talking about at the moment. On the other hand, a 3d6 person has the same average of 10 which goes to 15 with the boost. However, this boosted value is much more rare under 3d6. Yes it is possible for non-boosters, but it is exponentially moreso for those with a modifier. The boosted individuals now have their bellcurve centered over their boosted average.

Pretty much what this boils down to is people with bonuses are signficantly more powerful than those without, because each +1 affects their entire distribution curve instead of just their chance to get their lowest and highest values possible. Due to this, I'd recommend giving a little more consideration to bonuses instead of doling them out like this was a 1d20 game.

The_Admiral
2012-06-18, 05:09 AM
Okay, I lower the bonuses by 50% and VOLLIA A HACKED D20. Would that work?

GoblinGilmartin
2012-06-18, 01:38 PM
Sorry I'm late, you never told me you'd made the new thread yet.

I'll be here to help out, With the shiny new title of creative director!

I would agree that we want superfails and crits to be rarer.

Well, I'm trying to think what a d20 system would do for Megaman BN, Class-wise. (note, i'm probably going to be repeating info from the old thread just so that everyone is caught up)

I think we should have a system where the operators are story defined. background, skills, jobs, interests, they're people, you know? capable of doing a lot more or less than expected of them. But the navi's should be the ones stated out for battle, they're the one's whose actions are defined by numbers, and synchro, navicust, and navisouls can help them overcome this.

And then we should have the navi's segregated by builds. I believe my last concepts were bomber (bombman, numberman), boomer (quickman, roll (?)), shield (serenade), basher (gutsman, stoneman), slasher (protoman), shooter (megaman, serchman), an elemental type (fireman, iceman, elecman) and then one or three more for the stranger types (cutman, whackoman, magicman, especially sandman.).

edit: I get that there will be some navi's that don't fit, we'll deal with that later.

The_Admiral
2012-06-24, 11:07 AM
Okay hacked D20? And how about, the thingy ye be thinking off? Element as Race and Class as build?

GoblinGilmartin
2012-06-24, 12:27 PM
I don't have a problem with the hacked D20, except in the end, it's going to be very chopped down. I can't imagine having too many uses for the Ride, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope skills, but maybe I'm just being short sighted. Also, we're going to need to come up with rules for a navi cust, and a chip system. Do we still have the notes on all those chips we stated out?

Build as race, Element as class. The build would be the fundamental design of the navi, what it was made to do. How it does what it was made to do would fall under class.

cloudjsh7
2013-01-25, 08:12 PM
Hi guys.

Here: Megaman Battle Network Legacies (http://w11.zetaboards.com/MMBNLegacies/topic/8424667/1/?x=0#post8098302)