PDA

View Full Version : Ishmael Mk III

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

planswalker
2012-06-13, 08:50 AM
Old thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13388814#post13388814)

If you're not Monodominant or me, I guess you can read this now, but don't you dare post here. Respect the character thread. Or else Mr. Kitty will eat your soul.

"I only ask because we have been getting omens that the creature is becoming more powerful. It concerns me that this is happening. Also, frankly, exactly for the reasons you just outlined, I do not feel that we can trust you right now. It is not personal, but you really do need to get rid of that thing before it consumes you."

"Aye, that particular blight is not something we tolerate, but things are complicated. I recommend you do not return there. Just leave that one alone. There are things going on in that temple that are best left alone. You are not equipped to handle them."

Monodominant
2012-06-13, 10:10 AM
Touroutou tourou! New thread! All shiny and clean and it says -1- at the page number... wow... Ishmael has survived 104 pages so far!!!

Also, to repeat what I asked before... any XP for the last pages of RP/Action/Monster killing?

Ishmael accepts the words of the priest. He wonders if indeed with the power he consumes the creatures becomes so much more powerful... could 1 man make such a huge difference? Could him draining a few dozen souls cause more harm than years of Skulk sacrifices? Still his other patron had prompted him to work along this path stating all would come to pass regardless of his actions...

"I understand father and thank you for your honesty..." he says and waits until they restore him.

He then departs the temple and the whole district. If the Pelorites of the temple were off limits then maybe the Pelorites of the orphanage could be targetted. Whats more he was supposed to NOT consume that one hence he need not worry about feeding the beast.

planswalker
2012-06-13, 12:39 PM
how about 1000?

The monsters were so far below your cr that they barely qualify, but there was some rp growth.

As you leave the temple area, a pair of hobgoblins approach you. "The Khan wants to talk with you." They say.

you were going around in disguise and not hiding, right?

Monodominant
2012-06-13, 04:33 PM
Yep, 1000 sounds great :D

Also yea... thats what happens when you gain power... you end up careless... from the man that never walked the streets without 10 hiding precautions I merely walk disguised.

Ishmael sneers at the Hobs looking around to see which district he is in and also for the presence or absence of guardsmen.

"You are a long way from home boys... mind me asking whom do you think you are talking to?"

planswalker
2012-06-13, 04:37 PM
"You're a fellow that the khan wants to talk to. Come with us."

Monodominant
2012-06-14, 02:20 AM
Ishmael wonders for a moment if somehow they think he is the blue goblin due to him being in Ishmaels portable hole... maybe they thing he has chosen this disguise for whatever reason.

"Listen boys..." he says as he draws his 'rapier' and focuses on the hobs activating his detect thoughts power and then going on a long monologue to outline his position but also to give time to the spell to focus on their actual thoughts and pick up what they think when he addresses them.

"... first off all I dont see no Blue Hand tattoos on you. Secondly I am not about to just follow 2 hobgoblins through the city, through the docks into the slums and into the Khans headquarters without some more explanation. The Khan wants to talk to me... fine I am open for some discussion but if you continue being all cryptic and stuff only one of you will get back there to give him MY message..." he says firmly.

planswalker
2012-06-14, 02:46 AM
Their minds are shielded from you reading their surface thoughts, but they definitely have thoughts.

They both lift up their shirts and show blue hand tattoos around their navels.

"You will travel underground. The kobolds have not abandoned their pact with us. You will come because the Khan has asked for you."

Monodominant
2012-06-14, 04:07 AM
"Really? They have not abandonded it have they? What an interesting tidbit of information my friend..." Ishmael was truly suprised and uncertain.

What could the Khan want of him? Was it even safe to go? An opportunity to meet and study his target could be useful but dangerous because his target would study him as well. And how much did the Khan know? Had they figured out who he was and what he was doing? Had they figured out he was a skulk or even worse the carrier of the kitty? Had they figured out he worked with the ratlings or at least used them?

So much uncertainty should ideally mean he should just run now, or slay these two and then run. But his curiosity was getting the best of him.

"Am I to see him in his 'palace'? What guarantees do I have I wont be harmed boys? Ah and one last question... answer this as well and we can go... how did you find me? I mean sure he wanted to talk to -me- but this is a big city, many people and I am not the most recognisable man in the world so...?" he asks... plus he had his whole obscura thing...

planswalker
2012-06-14, 07:49 AM
"If we wanted you dead, we wouldn't talk to you. We abducted a judge out from the middle of his courtroom in broad daylight. We fear nothing and no one. Last time I ask nicely. Come with us." He is starting to get impatient.

Monodominant
2012-06-14, 08:00 AM
"Scary stuff... a city district judge using trickery and all that... must have been really difficult. In any case, lead the way hobgoblin..." he says and for now follows.

planswalker
2012-06-14, 08:06 AM
They lead you down to the sewers and give you a thorough runaround before you end up in a large chamber reminiscent of the Shadow Spider's.

"Look familiar?" A large hobgoblin with metallic spikes growing out his tattooed skin asks. There are a dozen burly guards lounging around casually.

Monodominant
2012-06-14, 08:24 AM
Ishmael tries to remember the paths they have followed to get here. Normally this would be difficult but the last weeks the sewers have been his chosen territory so he at least hopes he can have a basic idea.

Especially of interest to him is if the sewers here had any indication of previous habitation and if they are anywhere near the docks sewers...

When taken before the hobgoblin he raises an eyebrow.

"Interesting choice of location..." he says simply.

"I was told you wanted to see me..." he continues not answering the question directly.

planswalker
2012-06-14, 08:30 AM
"I know that you offed one of my blues. I also know that you know what they are. Either you are working for the Watch of the Skulks. Since that ludicrous gang of mercenaries isn't now breathing down my door, I am guessing that you are not with the watch. So, if you can recall for me your meeting with the Shadow Spider, you might live."

Monodominant
2012-06-14, 08:45 AM
"Wrong and wrong actually... in your mad dash for power you have forgotten the other thorns you have... those that you have also insulted... the Ratlings want you and your cadre of warlocks as dead as the Skulks and the Watch..." Ishmael says.

"Whats worse... your actions have even made the Nobles raise an eyebrow and bother with you... you are a distraction... a problem and a troublemaker and even those within your own faction want you dead... one of them has even asked me to do it..." he says actually being truthful.

"Personally I come with higher authority though than Rats and Skulks.... funnily enough higher than that of the Guard as well... an authority that comes with a seal from the elite of the city... oh and also your information is wrong... -I- have not killed any of your blue pets..."

"But tell me, what do you mean by recalling a meeting? You plan to read my thoughts or what?" this was a dangerous game he was playing. In response to the question and just in case they could indeed detect his thoughts, he cast his mind towards Perry Di Carto... he had a particular hatred for the Khan and had also tried to move Heaven and Earth to get to him.

planswalker
2012-06-14, 09:39 AM
His eyes widen. "You. You're that assassin. The one that's been plaguing me for a week now. The one that's been impossible to track. Please go ahead and deny it."

Monodominant
2012-06-14, 10:01 AM
"I wish I could oblige you lord Khan but I cant... its interesting though how everything converges... you seek out a skulk and you find an assassin you couldnt track... I was either sloppy or lucky!" he says softly.

Ishmael considers this. Its his time maybe? He would face the Khan eventually and he had a task to kill him from more than one source. Should the time be now? When would he get another chance... the 12 guards, of whom many would be casters were off course a problem so maybe some sense of honour could work.

"Do you dare face me one on one Khan? Your own servants plot behind your back... from your generals to your pet necromancer. The city wants you dead. The ratlings want you dead, the skulks want you dead. They whisper that you are weak and hiding in your lair like a wounded animal... those here, I already know many are witches and warlocks... I can escape and plague you another time... or you can order them not to intervene and we can finish this... what will it be?"

planswalker
2012-06-14, 10:29 AM
"... wait, you're a skulk? I'd thought for sure they'd just hired an exemplary mercenary. I brought you here, boy, because you killed one of my favorite advisers and I wanted retribution for it. Then you come in here and throw high connections, ratlings, skulks, and everything else in my face. Please don't tell me you're also the one who chained your soul to a spirit-eating monster my pet necromancer has been foaming at the mouth to find?

Oh, I'm sorry, you offered to give me 'honorable' combat 1 on 1. Yes, right. You offered. Mind if we chat a bit first before I consider your offer? You seem to keep giving yourself away. Boy, I didn't know a tenth of what you thought I did about you. If I learn that you're also the spirit-eating fanatic running around causing chaos, I'll have all my major nuisances in one neat package."

Monodominant
2012-06-14, 03:29 PM
"Yes, I am a skulk, a soul eater, the shadow spider and the ratling piper... also the king and archduke..." says Ishmael dismissively.

"Just because I know alot and can connect many dots doesnt make me a servant of everyone Khan Drogo. I believe you are reaching out and letting ME know alot of what I dont... I said you went out looking for a skulk for it is the skulks that know and serve this Shadow Spider... I mentioned the ratlings cause I know you and your boys have been facing quite the resistance from them... apparently I hear it was their intervention that saved the skulks and drove you back. I mentioned the Guard for I know you had some adventures with that Di Carto man and Marcell..." he explains.

"But in any case... as of late I have been playing games with important individuals. We can agree that I answer one of your questions for every one you answer..."

planswalker
2012-06-14, 03:37 PM
I'm asking for a bluff check on that. Fortunately for you, the Khan doesn't invest heavily in sense motive. DC 18 to make your deception believable.

Monodominant
2012-06-14, 03:45 PM
Famous last words: "I only need 7 and above, its easy..."

The way I have been rolling the past few pages I expect a botch...

[roll0] bluff...

planswalker
2012-06-14, 06:03 PM
"Very well. Your turn."

Monodominant
2012-06-15, 02:17 AM
"Its something that has been plaguing me ever since I first saw you..." says Ishmael actually talking the truth.

"What are those spikes you have growing out of you?"

planswalker
2012-06-15, 02:29 PM
"It's a special trick of mine. Helps to intimidate people. They make nice, permanent weapons when I have to meet someone unarmed. They aren't easy to remove and thus everyone assumes they can't."

Monodominant
2012-06-15, 03:19 PM
"Indeed you are right... most think its a permanent thing making you something more than a hobgoblins..." says Ishmael slowly as he starts _observing_ him.

"So its your turn now... ask"

planswalker
2012-06-15, 03:33 PM
"Are you a skulk?"

Monodominant
2012-06-15, 04:04 PM
Ishmael goes with something he has not done before in this 'game'. He first thinks himself as part of the Duchess'es family staff to through off any mentral detection and then responds.

"Obviously not..."

And my bluff check

[roll0]

planswalker
2012-06-15, 06:40 PM
"No, not obviously not. You are behind a magical disguise. Take off your hat and toss it this way."

Monodominant
2012-07-02, 08:04 AM
"You hurt my feelings Khan! I thought we are talking like good honest men..." he says and takes off his hat and leaves it next to his feet hoping that his mundane disguise will be enough to cover him...

I do use (always) a mundane disguise along with the hat... I dont know if you have rolled for that as usual or would like me to roll it as its pretty significant :D

planswalker
2012-07-02, 08:07 AM
I do account for that as well, yes. Unfortunately, you needed that +10

As your magical disguise drops off, you hear a small noise from the edge of the room.

"And with good reason. You are a skulk. Good disguise, though. I still can't tell, which is why I keep Bright Eyes around. He's good at spotting things. Anyways, I have my answer. Your turn."

planswalker
2012-07-02, 10:31 AM
glitchbuster!

planswalker
2012-07-02, 10:32 AM
glitchbuster!

Monodominant
2012-07-03, 02:24 AM
Ishmael shrugs.

"Well... thats what you may choose to believe... your call..." he says and smiles.

"In any case, my question is this... what do you hope to gain from all this? Sooner or later Aldhaven will be annoyed enough to actually face you and crush you... the skulks are a threat but at least they keep underground and do not make themselves appear to be an armed force employing undead and hosting arenas..."

planswalker
2012-07-03, 02:39 AM
"My point?" He laughs for a few seconds. "My point is to restore order to a city in chaos. Yes, I am brutal. I'm a bully. But crime in the Slums has been steadily decreasing for six months. Then the Jacks were toppled, and that opened up new options. Yes, I have a pet necromancer. Do you know what he does in his free time? He protects potential victims from assault, rape, and murder. He also has organized an extracity watch for the Slums, one that is multiracial and arrests people based on their crimes. There have been NO deaths in the arena. Ever. I do believe that the annual tourney hosted legally cannot boast the same results? Didn't think so."

"I'll give you the point that the undead are evil. But they also are mindless and necessary. For now, the extracity watch just simply doesn't have the manpower to watch everything without it. They all are directly controlled by my pet necromancer or one of my clerics. As people come to feel more safe in the Slums where justice is actually upheld, we will phase out the ghastly members of the Watch for living ones."

"I have to say, though, boy, it's been a long time since I've met a skulk who felt that sure of his posession of the moral high ground."

"For my question, can you honestly tell me that you don't know that the Shadow Spider tribe seeks nothing less than the complete and total annihilation of every last human, the perform blood rituals to grant themselves power, and have a religious order that preaches not being genocidal as heresy?"

btw, forgot to mention it last post:

100 xp congratulations bonus.

Monodominant
2012-07-03, 07:07 AM
Heh, thank you.

"I understand all that... its just that it seems incredibly short sighted to think that the moment you become too powerful or too much of a threat the city wont choose to strike you down..." he comments.

When the Khan asks his next question he looks at him seriously.

"Yes. I can do not think that the Ultimate Goal of those that matter in the Shadow Spider tribe is to destroy humanity and the city. The Shadow Spider himself, his grand-daughter and others realise the importance of on one hand maintaining this whole 'united under one purpose' thing but are wise enough to know the skulks will never be the supreme overlords in a land of humans...

I too share that belief... when I took it upon myself, with his blessing and other influences as well, to destroy the Jacks I proposed to him a new structure of the criminal underworld of the city that would semi-legalise us all criminal ventures. That would include Skulks, Hobgoblins, Kobolds and the Korps or a few other larger organisations... unfortunately you guys decided to push your luck... not only did you fail to destroy the skulks since you attacked when the fighting force was out but also you slaughtered women and children and non-combatants meaning that any notion of collaboration or co-existence was out of the window..." he pauses at this point.

"The clan, as any skulk clan, will always hate humans... it comes with the fact that humans of old let our ancestors be experimented and tortured... this will never go away... but until recently for example there was a truce... no attacks outside the Docks. And it worked didnt it? Or at least it worked enough that noone minded it for many many years... if the Shadow Spider was as suicidally homicidal then there wouldnt be any truce or ceasefire... as for the demon thing and the priests... well in every organisation you get those... you chose undead and think that after you are done you can phase them out... well they chose a demon and think that after they take over they will get rid of him. People always think they can cheat those that give them power 'for free'..."

planswalker
2012-07-03, 07:42 AM
"Bagh, Marcell would never openly cross me. These mercenaries are impressive, but they'll retake the Docks, kick you scum out, and the Slums will endure. I'll lose my newly-acquired land if they really push, but your clan will be gone. Give us a generation and another strong leader, and we'll retake what we lost. Probably legitimately."

"And do you think yourself one of those who feels they can cheat the cost of power?"

Monodominant
2012-07-03, 07:55 AM
"Actually is my turn but I will you this one for free..." he says with a smile.

"No, I think I do not believe I can cheat any higher power or such entities... I believe I will be used by them and may gain something out of it but in the end they will gain more than I could hope to imagine...

I consider myself a tool... a good tool mind you, but a tool never the less... in my dreams I dont see myself as King but as a weapon or advisor to a King... but I will reach there with my own abilities and powers and hard work as I have reached were I am now with all this..."

planswalker
2012-07-03, 06:05 PM
He patiently awaits your next question.

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 12:57 AM
"Well you said Marcell wouldnt cross you... you obviously havent heard about the changes and how he lost his position and sooner or later some Noble will take over... and they wont mind crossing you... they love showing off and you will be dealing not with skulky skulks or underpaid guardsmen but with the likes of the Royal Guard and the University mages but one can have his own dellusions..." he comments on the Khans previous answer.

"What is your relation with Marcel and the Shadow Spider?... it somehow feels things go beyond a mere acquaintance of leaders of different factions."

planswalker
2012-07-04, 01:51 AM
"That is grim news indeed. I'll need to make sure to prepare for that. I still have more troops than the city could afford to field. I suspect you'd find that a noble will be very satisfied taking the Docks and giving a token appearance of driving off the Slums, which of course will re-form within a month. I'll need to make sur eto not get killed in the process of course, and it will be most aggravating to lose my grip on the Docks. I suspect it will pay for itself if th eskulks get dislodged."

"Oh, that? Herrman and I were adventuring companions back in the day. We helped the Shadow Spider kill most of his grandchildren when his son experimented on them. Both Marcell and I ended up falling in love with his only granddaughter, and he never forgave me for breaking her heart."

"Do you know the identity of the person who's taken on the Spirit-Eater?"

planswalker
2012-07-04, 01:57 AM
"That is grim news indeed. I'll need to make sure to prepare for that. I still have more troops than the city could afford to field. I suspect you'd find that a noble will be very satisfied taking the Docks and giving a token appearance of driving off the Slums, which of course will re-form within a month. I'll need to make sur eto not get killed in the process of course, and it will be most aggravating to lose my grip on the Docks. I suspect it will pay for itself if th eskulks get dislodged."

"Oh, that? Herrman and I were adventuring companions back in the day. We helped the Shadow Spider kill most of his grandchildren when his son experimented on them. Both Marcell and I ended up falling in love with his only granddaughter, and he never forgave me for breaking her heart."

"Do you know the identity of the person who's taken on the Spirit-Eater?"

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 02:36 AM
Ishmael wonders if the information given to him is true but files it in his memory anyway.

"Glad to be of service by bringing you news... its impressive that an important player in this game didnt know this..." he quips.

"I do know the identity of the Spirit Eater yes. I also know his ultimate goal... unfortunately I would not be able to answer your question of who he is should you ask it though..." he says calmly.

"As for my question... what do you plan to do with me? You brought me here to question me, kill me or what?"

planswalker
2012-07-04, 02:52 AM
"I brought you here, boy, because you killed one of my advisers. One very special to me. I do not take that lightly. We had a hard time finding you, but then you got sloppy. A lucky scry managed to penetrate what I guess is your obscura, and we tracked you down from there. I was rather surprised when I saw you walking down the street. I'd pegged you to be a skulk agent and I'd never thought I'd see one walking the streets in daylight. You're a special kind of arrogant."

"I haven't killed you yet, no. And perhaps I won't. If you can give me a compelling reason not to."

"Can you give me a compelling reason to not kill you, the resources it takes be damned?"

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 03:43 AM
"I walk around in the open from time to time... helps keep my complexion nice by seeing the sun from outside the shadows..." he says with a smirk.

"So your question is... why shouldnt you kill me? Well the answer is obvious... first off all you cant be sure you can... it will mean risking your own life... The Dayman and Nightman made the mistake of underestimating me... see what happened to the Jacks?" he says and pauses.

"That said... I have put myself in enough danger to gain the influence that I have... should I die those that employee me, and they are more than 3 powerful factions right now, will seek not to avenge me but to ensure whoever got me is shown that he cant trifle with their own tools... more as a 'lesson' than as vengeance..." he stops at this point to breath out.

"Plus wouldnt you rather deal with a Skulk that doesnt really care about Skulk supremacy and is in a position to advance within the clan in the forseeable future and push a different type of agenda or a series of Skulk religious fanatics that hate you as much as they hate humans and plan to continue fighting you until they die..."

planswalker
2012-07-04, 03:47 AM
"Yes I would. Excellent use of a question."

"Fair enough. What can to tell me about this spirit-eater without convincing yourself to lie?"

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 04:05 AM
"The role of taking on the spirit-eater was thrust upon him or her. He or she off course benefits from the relationship with the demon and sooner or later will succumb to the lure of power but so far he or she is careful with whose soul they consume...

Furthermore this is bigger than you and your pet necromancer... forces above me, you and them are working on this and our interference is either an annoyance or prompted by their own design..."

My mind is kind of stuck... I cant think of an important question to ask him though until recently I was thinking of many things I can ask him :(

Any suggestions...?

planswalker
2012-07-04, 04:09 AM
"Oh, I grant that I'm a local thug in a big power scheme. One that's probably bigger than this city."

well, there's all sorts of things. Perhaps ask him about his blue advisers?

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 04:14 AM
"What exactly are the blue goblins? I mean I realise they are some form of psychic servantas of yours but if they are as powerful as they seem AND there are 8 of them why not simply remove you and take over?"

planswalker
2012-07-04, 04:29 AM
"Oh, if they wanted to rule this clan, they probably could. But if they did, they'd have a damn hard time holding the loyalty of the clan. Instead, they get to mark each one with the symbol of their clan and I make sure they get anything they want."

"What exactly are these friends in high places you speak of? Be specific."

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 04:57 AM
"You didnt actually answer my question. What are they exactly? Just a strange breed of goblins with blue skin or what...?"

Assuming the Khan answers he responds as well.

"A noble of Aldhaven that has equipped me with a letter of Marquee, a high ranking Guard officer and well... someone involved with the Sad Flint..." he explains.

planswalker
2012-07-04, 04:58 AM
"They are a sub-race of goblins who are naturally skilled with psionics."

"I asked you to be specific. This is what we call vague."

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 05:12 AM
"To be precise you asked me 'what' are my friends in high places and not who. Thus being as pedantic as you were before and took my rhetorical question as an actual I responded with their positions and not with their identities..." he says smiling.

"Hence they are a Noble with the ability to grant a Letter of Maquee, an Officer of the Guard, I can even say its one you have a particular dislike for but I dont really know his title... Detective or something like that I believe, and someone powerful enough to have ties with the Flint but has not official title I can give..."

"What are the two magical circles in the sewers near your estate and how do they operate?" Ishmael asks going to the offensive with more direct questioning.

planswalker
2012-07-04, 05:15 AM
"Those circles are gateways into my palace. They require a command word to activate, one that changes every day."

"WHO are the allies of yours I asked about with my last question? Toy with me again with this answer, and I will kill you."

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 05:18 AM
"Really? I could have sworn the person that showed me them and then proceeded to go through them didnt say any word... its among the reasons I thought he was leading me into a trap..." he says vaguely.

"Oh brother... you are insistent. Well, by now if you put someone good I am sure they can figure it out by asking around... the Noble is a Duchess by the name Hordukka, the officer is Perry Di Carto and the last one a business man by the name Edistris..."

planswalker
2012-07-04, 05:43 AM
"Mental command word."

At the mention of Edistris, he freaks out. "Wait. You're a pawn of Edistris? Well, damn, now I feel stupid. Are you currently working for him on something or just retainer? I know I just violated our agreement but screw that. I need an answer."

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 06:20 AM
"I dont mind answering that if you tell me why it matters... are you also working for him or have an agreement with him?" Ishmael asks worried... he knows not if the Khan is one of the many pawns and tools of the creature that is Edistris or maybe one of the pawns of the enemies of Edistris...

planswalker
2012-07-04, 06:21 AM
"Yes, I am. Part of my goal is to ensure that he maintains control of the Slums."

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 06:34 AM
Ishmael finds that strange... is Edistris involved in everything?

"In any case... yes I am actively working for him... he is aware of my activities and sponsoring part of them..." he says calmly...

planswalker
2012-07-04, 06:36 AM
"Ah, you're his chance to crack into the noble houses. His rivals have been dominant there for generations."

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 06:37 AM
"Does that make us kind of allies then? Or just important pawns... I wonder..."

planswalker
2012-07-04, 06:42 AM
"It means we will draw the personal ire of a dreamwalking dragon if we kill each other."

"But, let me guess, one of your other clients hired you to kill me?"

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 06:57 AM
"Oh so you know the actual details..." says Ishmael once more suprised that the Khan knew abot the whole dream walking dragon part.

"Actually no... noone hired me to kill you. Blood calls for blood... the Shadow Spider requires your death and I am inclined to agree with him... your people slaughtered children and women under your command... I may be an assassin so I wont say I fight face to face or even fairly with my enemies but I havent killed any kids ever nor gone to that extent of genocide as you..." he says and pauses.

"Oh and the master of the Ratlings also wants you dead but I was only interested in what he wants cause it matched my plans already..."

planswalker
2012-07-04, 07:09 AM
He gives a fully-bellied laugh and doesn't stop for a while.

"I am sorry, boy, but to hear a member of the race that has indiscriminately killed anyone of any age, gender, profession, or creed so long as they were human accuse me of killing children and genocide is just too hilarious. Aye, I'm an evil bastard who likely should die a slow, painful death. It's just rich to hear that from a man whose leader the generation before performed cruel and painful experiments on his own grandchildren, not to mention the number of human children he had slaughtered. Tell me, is the Shadow Spider also on your 'to kill' list?"

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 07:27 AM
"The difference is I dont care about who he has killed... nor do I pretend to judge a whole race... so it may be ironic for you but not for me... unlike theory I returned to the sewers to the smell of blood and death and saw the bodies you had left behind... so indeed Skulks are evil... so are most Hobgoblins though. Skulks kill humans out of a racial hatred that has lasted for generations... Hobs do the same but not only to humans but all type of creatures..." he pauses to look at the laughing Khan.

"So, yea if I go by stereotypes and 'track' records you, the Shadow Spider, the Jacks, the Kobolds... everyone is guilty of a whole host of crimes punishable by more than death... maybe thats what the Spirit-Eater is doing by focusing on your men..." he says and smiles.

"As for the Shadow Spider... well... right now no. He isnt on my list... but on the other hand the skulks never did open war until now... sure, they killed and tortured just as much as you I guess but on the other hand they didnt take the streets to exterminate everyone in their path... not so far anyway. So yea eventually I will have to choose loyalty to my race or to the city... but so far I have had no need to do that..."

planswalker
2012-07-04, 07:29 AM
He arches an eyebrow when you mention that detail about the spirit-eater.

"You naive fool. You actually still have a moral code, don't you? How tragic. Trust me, you will lose them yet."

"Still, I believe I owe you a question. Have one?"

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 07:40 AM
"I do not think we are any better than demons, devils and their ilk if we dont have a code. We may break it from time to time for noone is perfect but just as long as we realise we are doing it and we try to remain true with all our mortal failings its what matters..." he explains.

"As for a question... is there someone you would trust to continue your 'work' in the Slums when you die? I indeed see that you have some positive influence and would like to be able to support the one that continues to have a beneficient effect on the city..."

planswalker
2012-07-04, 08:10 AM
"Haha, you'd crucify me for committing a third the crimes of the skulks, but you'd like to see my legacy live on. Oh, to be young and ethical again! Yes, there are some candidates. I haven't picked yet, but of course all my pick does is give a leg up on the competition for my throne. If he can gather up a little more personal power, Willstaff actually would get my vote. The watch was his idea. Besides, I know that it would irk the city to no end to know a necromancer has done more to clean up the streets than generations of nobility."

"You were not born in the Shadow Spider clan, were you? Please elaborate on how you were born and where you grew up."

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 08:23 AM
"I agree with yours and Willstaffs ideas of a prosperous, ordered and protected city. Crime is a natural thing in any society of mortals and as such thats why I would want to regulate it... but things like the extra city watch and the arena are good ideas hence someone that is not as jaded as you yet continues with such projects would indeed be a step up... you have too much personal history with powers in this city and are part of a status quo that must be replaced..." he explains reasonably.

"And also thats where we disagree... I believe that a mild hobgoblin leader that on one hand benefits the city and on the other allows them to think of you as nothing but fodden is infinitely preferable to the 'necromancer who showed us how its done' as it might indeed be funny and ironic but in the end causes aggravation and derision which eventually would lead to another conflict..."

He listens to the question and shrugs.

"I grew up near Brunsgrove. The there skulk population was decimated after attempting to take over and rebel over the humans... typical story really... skulks hate humans, skulks gain some power and think they can take over... skulks are destroyed..." he explains.

"My tutoring was a happy... chance for me as I was taken in by a guild one might call 'an assassins association'. I was educated and taught many things as a favour to my mother... among other things I was taught how precious life is and why it must not be squandered but also that there are distinct classes of people in the world and I must know my place, my limits and what I can aspire to. Along with that I was indoctrinated in the beliefs of Kelemvor, the Judge of the Dead..."

planswalker
2012-07-04, 08:36 AM
"Ah, that explains your... irregularities. You are not a local skulk."

"Do you have a question for me?"

Monodominant
2012-07-04, 09:16 AM
Ishmael considers telling the man he just lost his next question with what he just said but he decides against it.

"It also explains why a new generation of skulks can learn to step away from their hatred at least partially enough to work with humans to achieve his or her purpose..." he comments.

"As for the question... do you have allies within the city and who are they?"

planswalker
2012-07-04, 10:35 AM
"I have a few. Kobolds are playing both sides of the fence at the moment, and the human criminal gangs with interests in the Docks lend us some support, mostly financial. In addition, the City Watch has more than a few among them who wish they could be as effective in their duties as we can."

"How well do you know Edistris?"

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 12:41 AM
"I do not know is a sincere answer... I could say I know alot but it might actually be insignficant considering what he is... for example I can tell you we played this game I am playing with you now and I asked some good questions... and then we met once and spoke more but I have no clue if what I know is true or important!" he says.

"And thats a good question... how and when did you meet Edistris?"

planswalker
2012-07-05, 12:49 AM
"Oh, edistras never lies, to my knowledge. He is not omniscient, but he never intentionally tells falsehoods. Like you, however, it's difficult to know how much I truly know and how much is truly important. But I trust that he's never told me a lie."

"As a small child, in my dreams. I learned this question and answer format from him. I find that people are willing to tell a lot more when they feel they're participating in a bargain of equal exchange."

and you thought it was just a technique I fall back on to keep the flow of the narrative from being too one-sided :P

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 12:54 AM
"And who is his opponent? If something as powerful as Edistris requires me, you and many others as pawns in this game I wonder who the other side is and who belongs to that side! For example it seems to me all important players in this game belong to a side... I wonder if the Shadow Spider is with Edistris or against him..."

planswalker
2012-07-05, 12:57 AM
"Oh, neither side wants to touch him. They're both afraid that he'd actually let the priests unleash their omnicidal godling if they did. And yes, there really is an omnicidal demigod behind your people in this town. I've seen it."

"The other side, if I understand it, is also ruled by a dragon."

"Does Zorvinthal mean anything to you?"

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 01:05 AM
Ishmael knows that indeed there is something behind the Skulks... whether its powerful enough to take on the city is another question...

"No, it doesnt." he says truthfully.

"Who or what is Zorvinthal" Ishmael asks.

planswalker
2012-07-05, 01:09 AM
"It is something that Edistris references. I don't know what it is myself. It seems to be some sort of power struggle between them."

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 02:52 AM
"Could it be this other dragon you mentioned? The opponent of Edistris?" he asks in a more conversational tone.

"In any case... is there something else you wish to ask? I admit I am somewhat torn... loyalty and mission calls me to continue with my plans for your end but you beeing a servant of Edistris makes matters problematic..."

planswalker
2012-07-05, 04:24 AM
"Um... yes. All I've figured out is that Zorvinthal is played between dragons."

"Honestly, boy, I've asked all I need of you. Go ahead and ask something else if you wish."

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 04:33 AM
"Would you accept a solution that sees you alive but exiled from the city? You can keep contact to your successor via magic I suppose but you would not return here ever again..."

planswalker
2012-07-05, 05:04 AM
"Boy, I'd rather face the dragon's annoyance and kill you now. I'm not going to exile myself to satisfy your misguided fanaticism and mypic sense of morality. Your hypocrisy is beginning to grate."

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 05:54 AM
Ishmael shrugs.

"As you wish..." he says calmly.

"In any case, as for questions I want to ask if you know about the true nature of the ratlings..."

planswalker
2012-07-05, 05:56 AM
"Those abominations the Ratmaster makes from children? Can't help you. I have no clue how he does it or how much of the child remains. Careful dissection has showed their anatomy should be impossible."

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 06:01 AM
"Well he too is interested in your destruction... for his own reasons I am sure... I was asking cause I wonder if there was a way to cure the kids... if yes that meant I would have to stay my hand when fighting them..." he explains.

"If not then I can only hope to send them to their judgement quicker...

By the way, why are you seeking the Spirit Eater and what is Willstaffs roll in this?"

planswalker
2012-07-05, 06:06 AM
"We don't even know what he did, much less how to undo it."

"That damned spirit-eater will consume more and more souls, its appetite growing. The more it feeds, the stronger it grows, the more it can feed. One of them grew unchecked for five years and challenged the gods themselves. Willstaff got visited by Edistris himself to warn him that he needed to find the beast and slay it. Any interest in helping him?"

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 06:33 AM
Ishmael considers the offer.

"Yes... I can work with him... more or less I have a similar mission from Edistris myself so I think we could combine our powers to find him and finish him... interesting though that he chose Willstaf... do you think he is very stable and we will be able to work with him?"

planswalker
2012-07-05, 06:39 AM
"He chose Willstaff because he is a dreamwalker. He's able to hunt down where the creature is on the dream planes."

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 07:17 AM
"Splendid. Then I guess working with him would be interesting and will help us stop him or her faster... I have actually met Wilstaf once... I attended his arena to see what it was all about..." explains Ishmael.

"Will you organise the meeting in... safe terms or?"

planswalker
2012-07-05, 07:47 AM
"If you want to meet Willstaff, do it yourself. I am getting tired of dealing with your dogma."

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 08:45 AM
"Very well... then I guess that is it for now... shall we part ways?" he asks...

"But please do alert Wilstaff I shall visit him to discuss this... otherwise a visit from a skulk assassin may... well cause some uneccesarry issues..."

planswalker
2012-07-05, 08:56 AM
"I'll give him a heads up. Go ahead and leave. My men won't stop you."

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 09:04 AM
Ishmael departs quickly...

For a moment he looks back considering the possibility of trying to take on the Khan right now. Unfortunately the fact that he has so many with him, including one called bright eyes, deters him...

Still he has mixed feelings from this meeting. Alot of new information... alot of mixed feelings and generally a sense of disatisfaction for what more he could have learned or done...

He is also uncertain in the end if his having been lax with his walking about the city ended up as a good or bad thing...

He shrugs as he walks away and smiles to himself. Well at least he would get to work with the people that would be hunting him... if nothing else that should give him a bit of an edge... furthermore the whole thing that he was walking around not hidden and with just a disguise meant he would be quite safe from being considered the ultra-careful spirit -eater... the fact that he had done the whole spiritual numbering thing as a fluke and to mislead them meant it was all the more easier to not be identified!

He departs from the sewers and heads for the surface this time taking all appropriate precautions like going invisible and also being hidden in the darkest shadows around.

planswalker
2012-07-05, 09:13 AM
I'm gonna be nice and assume you don't forget your hat...

also, 1500 exposition xp.

You wind your way through the sewers without event.

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 09:25 AM
Gah my hat! thank you!

And thanks for the XP :D

So let me do an ooc recap of where I am right now given my plots...

a) Spirit Eater. Basically Edistris didnt give me specific guidance just told me to do it and things will take their 'natural' way on their own... so I believe thus far I have indeed fed it a bit but not horribly much judging by how careful I have been with feeding.

b) Khan. Well we are now on an impasse given that I dont want to kill him until the spirit eater is resolved given that its his influence that will offer me an in with Willstaf. Unfortunately this means delaying both the resolving of the Ratlings thing and being able to go back to the Shadow Spider with good results... well I have made alot of progress though so I guess thats something...

c) Generic Pelorites Questline. Well many info here that I cant puzzle out yet. Difficult to pull an appropriate string to loosen the whole puzzle right now given I have the demon inside me which limits the info I can get from friendly factions...

d) Duchess mission. I know there is a lot of phisy goings on with the whole Pelor thing but I dont yet have alot of info on them. As such and to give time to facilitate the 'wilstaf - khan' meeting I will push on this part of my quests.

Ishmael returns to the surface and the first thing he does is buy an improved and renewed disguise kit. Better not to have those issues again like with this bright eyes guy...

He then proceed to get rid of the clothes he was wearing (via burning) but also to scrub himself finely and take a bath... the meeting with the Khan though beneficial showed he had been sloppy and he could not afford to do that again until he completed the mission for Edistris and got his mind blank effect on.

Fresh clothes, fresh disguise and fresh body ready he stops at a decent tavern for nourishing food and drink and then he goes to the orphanage dressed as a well to do merchant.

planswalker
2012-07-05, 09:31 AM
It costs you 5 silver to get the food and drink and approach the steps of the orphanage. As you approach, a man in a worn brown cloak approaches and says, "Can I help you, sir?"

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 09:38 AM
Was hoping for some positive reinforcement of my conclusions in the ooc above but very well ;p

Ishmael looks at the man with some annoyance and speaks with a thickly accented voice.

"I am sorry, I do not give to beggars my good man. I have important business with the orphanage!" he says and makes a show of heading towards the building.

planswalker
2012-07-05, 09:41 AM
that would be... metagaming...

that said, you've made no factual errors in your recollections, and I'm not commenting on your conclusions.

"I am assistant headmaster at the orphanage. Perhaps I can help you with what you need? Please come in." He escorts you inside and to an office if you consent.

"What can we do for you?"

Monodominant
2012-07-05, 09:49 AM
Ishmael looks at him with faked suprise at the mention that he works here and looks critically at his clothes.

"Well you see I myself represent a group of parties interested in the... how should I put it... well gentrification of this area... it seems to us that maybe we and the management of the orphanage could come to some agreement..." he says with a greedy smile.

planswalker
2012-07-05, 10:07 AM
"Indeed so, and you have come to the right man. What, exactly, is your proposition?"

Monodominant
2012-07-06, 02:11 AM
Ishmael tries not to show he is taken aback... he had hoped the man would protest and an arguement would be raised... his open-ness to such an idea throws him off balance for just a moment.

"Well! I am glad to hear you are open minded!" he says and smiles.

"Me and my associates would propose a business deal for the purchase of this building. I am sure that with the funds we would be able to offer you and the senior management of this place would be able to live long prosperous lives!"

planswalker
2012-07-06, 02:18 AM
"Oh, I am afraid that this is not allowed. We do not have the right to sell the place, and we would not if we did. We have a calling to care to the orphans here. You would have to speak with the council of priests at the temple if you want to petition to purchase the land."

Monodominant
2012-07-06, 02:22 AM
Ishmael appears to consider the mans words...

"Hmmm that is a problem indeed. Are you sure we cannot somehow make an arrangement between us?" he says with a wink.

"How about if we also found a new location for the girls?"

planswalker
2012-07-06, 02:36 AM
"That would definitely help your case with the council, but I cannot transfer ownership of the building or the grounds."

Monodominant
2012-07-06, 02:50 AM
"Interesting... interesting..." he responds casually.

"May I ask for a tour of the place? I admit I expected things would be easier and would care to see it to judge on the magnitude of the investment..."

Monodominant
2012-07-06, 02:54 AM
"Interesting... interesting..." he responds casually.

"May I ask for a tour of the place? I admit I expected things would be easier and would care to see it to judge on the magnitude of the investment requirred..."

planswalker
2012-07-06, 03:38 AM
"This orphanage is not some zoo for people to peruse at will, but give us a few hours to prepare and we will do just that. Have to make sure that everyone is properly notified and all the forms are filled out."

Monodominant
2012-07-06, 04:21 AM
"A few hours eh?" he says curious if this time will be spent hiding something or rather preparing for an ambush and checking him out.

"Very well... but you should know I am not asking to see the girls you have here... only the building itself. Would my donating 1000 gold for this mean that you could take the girls out for an expedition in the city and speed things up? Maybe part of this thousand could help grease the cogs of bureacracy..." he says hinting at a bribe.

planswalker
2012-07-06, 05:29 AM
"Why sir, with that thousand, we will take all the girls out and buy them new clothes and buy a supply of food. It will take us an hour or two to make the necessary preparations."

Monodominant
2012-07-06, 05:40 AM
"Splendid!" he says and gives the man the lump of money.

"I hope I will be allowed to stay here in your office until everything is settled?"

Monodominant
2012-07-09, 03:48 AM
Bump for great justice!

planswalker
2012-07-09, 07:44 AM
I swear I answered this.

"Of course." He excuses himself and leaves.

Monodominant
2012-07-09, 08:27 AM
Ishmael sits back and enjoys the show as he activates the spymasters coin.

planswalker
2012-07-09, 08:36 AM
remind me how this coin works

Monodominant
2012-07-09, 08:52 AM
Spymaster's Coin

Divination (Scrying)
Level: Assassin 2, Bard 2, Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2,
Components: V, S, AF,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Effect: Magical sensor
Duration: 1 hour/level or until triggered, then 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You slide your finger over a coin, imbuing it with a tiny fraction of your own senses.
You imbue a Fine object (such as a coin, stone, or other innocuous item) with a dormant magical scrying sensor.
Anyone attempting to detect its magical aura must succeed on a caster level check (DC 15 + your caster level).
At any one time during the spell's duration, as a standard action you can concentrate upon the object, enabling you to hear or see (your choice) as if you were in the object's location.
This effect otherwise functions as if you had cast clairaudience/clairvoyance in the object's area.
You have no control over the object's movement and gain no special senses.
Spymaster's coin functions only on the plane of existence you are currently occupying.
You must continue to concentrate to see or hear through the spymaster's coin.
If you stop concentrating, the spell's effect ends.
Once activated, the scrying effect of the spell lasts for a maximum number of rounds equal to your caster level.
Focus:One object of Fine size.

planswalker
2012-07-09, 11:58 AM
The man gathers up the girls at the orphanage and sends them out with the adult caretakers to buy food and clothes. It does genuinely take about 30 minutes of effort to locate all the girls, another 15 minutes to get them all ready to go. After that, he calls for one of the caretakers to stay behind. "We need to move the goods to a secure location. We have someone trying to pass himself off as a wealthy investor claiming to want to renovate this place. Don't know what he's really after, but we can't afford to let him see the goods. Move them to the emergency cache while I stall him."

The two head over to the food cellar and open the doors. You see some wooden stairs going down before your divination is suddenly cut off as it crosses the threshold.

Monodominant
2012-07-09, 04:59 PM
Ishmael uses the ring to turn invisible, then hides even more in the darkest shadows he can spot and moving softly as a cat and yet at normal speed due to his skulkiness he heads downstairs to where that entrance is.

planswalker
2012-07-09, 09:35 PM
He reaches the entrance without incident. Everything is just as uninhabited and empty as you spied out.

Monodominant
2012-07-10, 02:36 AM
Ishmael follows down to the food cellars hoping to see what it is they are trying to hide before they hide it.

planswalker
2012-07-10, 07:55 AM
sorry, I forgot to say that the cellar door is closed and locked.

Monodominant
2012-07-10, 09:36 AM
After checking if anyone is standing behind by looking through the key hole and not wasting precious time with locks this time Ishmael raises his other hand and used the lockpicking ring to cast knock on the door.

He then enters as quietly as possible and tries to remain unseen.

planswalker
2012-07-10, 12:41 PM
You enter without incident. The room you reach at the bottom of the cellar stairs is empty, although trails through the dust indicate that someone dragged a dozen boxes out the far door recently.

Monodominant
2012-07-10, 12:45 PM
Ishmael approaches quickly becoming one with the shadow and checks the door and keyhole if there is a lock. He also presses his ear firmly against the door for any clues as if the people he is pursuing as just past the door and still at work.

planswalker
2012-07-10, 01:16 PM
listen check please

Monodominant
2012-07-11, 06:50 AM
Go go natural 24!

[roll0]

The near deaf skulk presses his ear against the door trying to listen for anything at all, mostly though he tries to look through the keylock...

planswalker
2012-07-11, 08:15 AM
On the other side of the keyhole, you see a brown crate.

You don't hear anything.

Monodominant
2012-07-11, 09:50 AM
Ishmael slowly and carefully opens the door and takes a look inside staying low and invisible.

planswalker
2012-07-11, 10:08 AM
Upon the door opening, you hear the boss and his assistant drop a crate and shout, "Dammit, someone's in here! That door was locked!" The assistant approaches the door.

"I don't see anyone."

"Invisibilty is a simple trick. I knew the investor was up to something."

Monodominant
2012-07-11, 04:21 PM
Ishmael uses the hat to take the form of one of the little girls he saw earlier in the building. He also tries to recall the name of any of the teachers or any of their handlers that took them outside so he can use it.

He then goes further inside now that he has a backup in case he gets seen somehow. He especially tries to be in covered areas so that his skills can be useful but also so that if he is seen as a little girl he has a plausible reason about why they missed him.

planswalker
2012-07-12, 05:43 AM
wisdom check to recall names and such

You assume the form of one of the older teen girls under their care, the limits of your hat not allowing you to vary TOO far from your base form. Fortunately, there are a few older girls in their care.

IIRC, disguise self requires you to stay within 10% of your base height.+

As you slink past the entrance, both of them cast spells and begin staring at slightly different angles.

"Someone's using magic here, I can see that." the assistant says.

"Yes, of course Jorch. The question is, who and why."

Monodominant
2012-07-12, 08:05 AM
It was just a minute ago but okay

[roll0] wisdom check.

Ishmael realises they might have just cast any spell that would foil invisibility but he trusts in his non-magical talents even more so.

As such he continues to move around to confound the senses of whoever is trying to screen for magic. Even better he takes out a couple of his healing potions, the least powerful ones and hides them behind crates to make the presence of magic more profound in a particular location and then moves away.

He partially ignores the two searching men trying to figure out if this is the last place they got to and if the crates are the ones that they moved or if it continues further.

planswalker
2012-07-12, 03:16 PM
Indeed, they detect the potions and the subordinate heads there. The leader doesn't let up his vigil.

you recall the names of three of the caretakers, middle-aged women who seem very brisk and businesslike, but not cruel.

I'll let you fill in the details for their names and such. If I come up with them, I'll never remember them. :smalltongue:

You can sneak past them if you wish, but there is no cover in the other half of the room beyond the leader.

Monodominant
2012-07-12, 05:21 PM
Ishmael looks at the lack of cover and smiles...

If only it wasnt for his amazing new... ability he would have had a serious problem. Despite the lack of cover he simply approaches nearby shadows, even those cast by flickering torches or lanterns the men must be carrying or must be around the room.

Hint: Hide... in... plain... sight!

planswalker
2012-07-12, 05:43 PM
congrats. That's the exact reason the Jacks were so paranoid.

You skirt past and use the shadows to hide. The back half of the room is empty, and the walls are bare and smooth.

About this time, the leader says, "The illusion is gone. The aura isn't here. Damn. He's either already gone or in the room. Shut the door, stay here, and make sure nothing remains. I'll go back to my office and check on our agent. If he's there, we'll know he knows nothing."

Monodominant
2012-07-13, 01:09 AM
Ishmael faces one of those hard decisions once again...

Stay here, take out the guard and find out right now whats in those boxes that they were so desperate to hide that even the whole place is protected from scrying... or head back upstairs and pretend everything is fine.

The second option seems best but on the other hand even then its not as if they wont suspect him... most likely they would think he is working with an accomplice or something similar given that the coordinator of this place has his mind set that 'the merchant' is a fake.

In the end he decides to play it cautiously hoping it wont come back to bite him in the... behind.

Using his supreme stealth he approaches the leader and walks just behind him and trying to stay outside his field of vision in case he is still detecting magic. As such he should be able to follow him outside before the door is shut.

Then once they are within sight of his office Ishmael will use the ability of the shadow cloak, (the jump) twice if necessary to enter the room first and assume his previous appearance, and pretend to be looking out a window.

planswalker
2012-07-13, 04:02 AM
You arrive just before he opens the door.

"Mr... I'm sorry, what was your name again?"

Monodominant
2012-07-13, 05:16 AM
Ishmael smiles turning to the man and grins.

"Oh pardon my manners! Did I even forget to mention my name?" he jokes as he wracks his brain to remember the name of an affluent group of businessmen.

"I am Mr Edward Harris of the (insert result name) Consortium"

[roll0]
knowledge local

planswalker
2012-07-13, 11:13 AM
your best bet is to be part of the Pirner Consortium.

"Really? How is good old Jedidiah doing? He still causing trouble with the senior partners?"

Monodominant
2012-07-13, 05:08 PM
And another knowledge check about this Jedidiah... though I think I even recall myself him being the guy who owns a store at the Plaza? I thought he and Pirner were not on good terms!

[roll0]

Ishmael mentions the Pirner group and does indeed expect the man will need confirmation, as such he tries to recall what he has heard about Jed and his relationship with the other members of the Consortium and especially Pirner.

Monodominant
2012-07-13, 05:13 PM
Bump like you have never bumped before!

planswalker
2012-07-13, 07:26 PM
no, the two competing merchants are Ezekiel Jedder and Jacob Pirner. Jedidiah is neither of them.

in fact, you can't recall any specific Jedidiahs that are supposed to be part of that consortium.

Monodominant
2012-07-16, 07:16 AM
"The name doesnt ring a bell to be honest... at least not anyone particularly important! You will have to excuse me I guess he was either before my time or maybe even one of the aha, how should I put it, small time players!" he says and smiles.

"Where you ever a member? I realise I also didnt ask your name sir!"

planswalker
2012-07-16, 10:16 AM
"I am Janos Slynt, and I was once a merchant in the guild, yes. That was before I felt the calling to the priesthood and found my place overseeing this safehouse for the downtrodden."

Monodominant
2012-07-17, 07:13 AM
And I am Tyrion Lannister, the man that sent you to the Wall, Janos!

"How wonderful! If only all of us where so lucky!" he says with a thinly veiled sarcasm.

"In any case I grow tired of waiting. Are your charges out? May we go around so I can perform my assesment?" he continues impatiently.

planswalker
2012-07-17, 07:50 AM
ah, that's where I got the name from. Couldn't remember.

"Of course. Follow me." He begins your tour on the third floor, showing you the older girls' sleeping arrangements.

Monodominant
2012-07-17, 08:32 AM
This time Ishmael pays attention making the occasional comment regarding the size of the room, the amount of light coming in and how sturdy or new that place is.

"How old is the building?" he asks as he knocks on the wall of one of the corner rooms.

He also takes a generic look of each room in case something important or strange is present.

planswalker
2012-07-17, 08:37 AM
"The foundation is over a hundred years old, although it has been renovated several times since then. The most recent was after the fire ten years ago."

Monodominant
2012-07-18, 09:47 AM
Ishmael makes various sounds of concern and murmurs to himself from time to time as they go about their business.

"Interesting" he says only once and motions they should go on.

"How high is the building? Is there view in the surrounding area and what kind of well... neighbours do you have?" he asks.

planswalker
2012-07-18, 10:20 AM
"We are the tallest building in the city block at three stories, yes. I guess you could see quite a bit of the city from here, but we rarely bother to. Day to day life at the orphanage leaves little time for daydreaming."

Monodominant
2012-07-19, 05:44 PM
Ishmael smiles.

"Well yes, I imagine so. In any case, lets move on. Could we check the kitchens please? I assume that since you feed the girls here you must have quite a facility! Also, may I inquire as to the number of rooms and the number of girls you have?"

planswalker
2012-07-19, 07:52 PM
"We have forty rooms with almost a hundred beds in them. Most of the time, we are full. It's rare when more girls are leaving the place adopted than are coming in off the streets without parents.

We have a large kitchen which produces large quantities of food for the girls, and a small staff kitchen where the workers can cook their own food if they wish. Those that don't eat with the girls. Would you like to start with the girls' kitchen?"

Monodominant
2012-07-20, 02:15 AM
"Yes, that sounds fine!" he says and smiles as they advance.

By the way, I have posted in your thread a couple of days ago... are you just considering what to do or its been glitched?

planswalker
2012-07-20, 11:02 AM
glitched :smallfurious:

He leads you to a large, slightly dirty kitchen. Hundreds of dishes are stored in cabinets and drawers all over the place, and about a third again that number are piled up dirty in a half-dozen sinks. Four cooking stations sport an over, a fire pit, and two odd metal contraptions between them.

Monodominant
2012-07-20, 10:25 PM
Ishmael nods as he looks around. He checks once more the doors and walls and then motions to his 'guide' that they can move on.

planswalker
2012-07-20, 11:27 PM
"Did you want to see the private kitchen as well?"

Monodominant
2012-07-23, 02:53 AM
"Yes please!" indicates the happy merchant man and nods.

Generally if nothing happens, I just go along and see the whole place... no need to go room by room... unless if he skips taking me to the basements...

planswalker
2012-07-23, 07:30 AM
You go through all the rooms on each floor, and they are indeed all neat and proper rooms you'd expect in a girls' orphanage. The staff sleeps and eats slightly better than the girls, but only by a thin margin. Though there are little to no luxuries, it seems the girls get everything they need.

However, on your tour, he walks right by where you know the basement is and there isn't even a gap in the wall.

Monodominant
2012-07-23, 08:02 AM
Ishmael follows not making any comment about it but as they are done with the majority of the tour he asks.

"How about basements? Where do you store food for the winter and autumn? Is it a seperate building you own or...?" he lets the question hang with a slight worry in his voice to indicate that the prospect of having to buy 2 buildings is not something he had accounted for.

planswalker
2012-07-23, 09:18 AM
"We have a cellar located in the back. Do you wish to see it? We're currently poorly stocked. The recent unrest means that most of our usual contributions are instead going to hire assassins and bodyguards to protect against assassination."

Monodominant
2012-07-23, 09:33 AM
"How horrible!" Exclaims Ishmael.

"We too have had some instability but I guess money talks and an alive merchant with a heavy pouch is everyones favorite person!" he jokes and indicates that checking the cellar would be good.

planswalker
2012-07-23, 12:06 PM
You are taken out back behind the building to a locked cellar door nearby. After pulling out a key and unlocking it, he opens the door and leads you into an old cellar. Just as he described, it's about half-full with dry goods saved up for the orphanage.

"You generous donation, of course, will greatly fill our stocks. We'll probably be full for a while after they get back from the shopping trip. I believe now you've seen the whole place, from celllar to attic. Unless you wish to inspect the rafters?"

Monodominant
2012-07-24, 04:49 AM
Ishmael laughs and shakes his head.

"No I believe I have seen everything I needed my good man! I commend you on your work by the way... it is hard in these day and age to advance the cause of Goodness... especially with upstarts like those silly Sisters of Salvation polluting peoples minds with godless ideas..." he says and grins.

"Pray tell me once again though... what would be required to obtain use of this building? Would I need to move through the ecclesiastical circuits or...?"

planswalker
2012-07-24, 11:28 AM
"If you wish to OWN the building, yes. Relocating the orphanage would similarly require permission from the temple. But if you can tell me exactly what you want the building for, I likely can come up with an arrangement that could work to everyone's advantage, especially the girls'."

Monodominant
2012-07-25, 02:48 AM
"Well now that I have a taste of the building itself and have seen its spaces and also that it is possible I need to actually return to my employers and relay the information... since arrangements can be made I will be in contact again soon.

For now though I cannot say any more I am afraid. Still the small donation we made earlier should show you we mean business..." explains Ishmael with a cryptic smile.

planswalker
2012-07-25, 02:57 AM
"Of course. Good day sir."

Monodominant
2012-07-25, 04:51 AM
Ishmael departs, walks away for a little while and tries to get lost in the city crowd. He eventually darts in a side street and goes invisible. He then uses the hat and another set of clothes and turns into one of the older orphan girls.

He then heads back towards the building, hides and stays invisible and waits until the women actually come back.

planswalker
2012-07-25, 07:48 AM
Two hours later, the gaggle of girls return, each carrying a package or two. A wagon full of foodstuffs follows behind.

Monodominant
2012-07-25, 07:57 AM
Ishmael approaches and takes his place among the girls but does not go visible yet and he tries to stay hidden using his un-natural abilities. He wants to first see if the girls are checked one by one before moving ahead.

He also realises that he can simply sneak inside when the girls enter without even having to impersonate one. Still he keeps the disguise just in case but he also pays attention in case the man who cast the detect magic spell is still around and doing the same thing.

planswalker
2012-07-25, 08:44 AM
Other than a simple head count, they don't seem to check each girl, although it seems that everyone knows everyone else moderately well.

You go unnoticed, of course.

Monodominant
2012-07-25, 08:53 AM
Deciding that right now there is no point in revealing himself Ishmael tries to sneak in along with the last stragglers of the group. He remains close to them as he dares and invisible, using their bodies as cover and their shadows to 'feed' his stealthyness.

planswalker
2012-07-25, 10:44 AM
You make it inside without incident. The girls each disperse to their dormitories to try on their new clothes with the staff resumes their duties. The cook has commandeered three other workers to help him sort out the food.

Monodominant
2012-07-26, 02:53 AM
Ishmael now has the advantage of pretty much having seen the majority of this place. He knows where to go to get to his targets and were to hide in case something happens.

He prowls this place and tries to locate either the man he talked to or the men that helped him transport the goods. Though he knows where he needs to go, perhaps more info can be gleaned by observing them.

planswalker
2012-07-26, 07:57 AM
You are able to locate the director, all right. He's in his office filling out paperwork of some kind.

Monodominant
2012-07-26, 08:35 AM
Ishmael watches him like a myopic, hard of hearing hawk. He keeps a certain distance, just in case, but for now he just watches his man until he does something else. Should he go for any rounds around the place he just follows quietly and observes.

planswalker
2012-07-26, 08:46 AM
The man spends all day filling out paperwork.

At sundown, he gets up and prepares to leave, saying a few perfunctory courtesies to staff and residents on his way out.

Monodominant
2012-07-26, 09:08 AM
Ishmael enters the mans office and taking great care not to disturb anything goes over the paperwork. He reads through what he was writting and what he has written in the past but is very careful to remember where everything was and how it was so he can return them to their positions.

planswalker
2012-07-26, 09:37 AM
This is overall a mass of recepts, bank statements, and applications for the local temple's funding. Search check to look for somehting that is interesting.

Monodominant
2012-07-26, 09:44 AM
He continues looking for something of interest.

search : [roll0]

planswalker
2012-07-26, 01:10 PM
You spend a minute shifting through papers and don't find anything.

Monodominant
2012-07-27, 03:35 AM
Ishmael is slightly peeved by his failure and as such dedicates some time to finding anything interesting here.

Taking 20 for 29 total.

planswalker
2012-07-27, 07:52 AM
You find a letter between the administrator and a "Father Bright" which discusses the "tributes" being "shipped". The date and time given are tomorrow at midnight, at a warehouse in South Market.

Monodominant
2012-07-30, 02:53 AM
So many options and ideas...

Steal the tribute to make this place close down faster...

Go to the meeting place and see whats going on. Especially when he knows that Father Bright wont be there since he knows that creature is confined in the church.

Hide in one of the boxes of tribute and well... do the same as above but in a more flamboyant way.

Ishmael shakes his head... possibilities yes... but also danger. In the end his mission was not to destroy the orphanage or stop the Pelorite operations but rather to ensure that he got his hands on the living, breathing Gabriel Parahelios.

Thats the guy the Duchess asked for... I got info on him here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12762132&postcount=1089

As such he continues searching a bit to find anything related to this man. More importantly not just evidence of wrong doing but even correspondence that may hold his address or habits or anything of this short.

planswalker
2012-07-30, 07:46 AM
Mr Bright's unofficial correspondence seems to all be in metaphor and code words. Except for official correspondence with the Church, none of the letters use actual names. Instead they all are addressed in short, monosyllabic words. There's a "Cat", "Sun", "Dog", "Bow", and "Ear". Mr Bright seems to refer to himself in these correspondence as "Glow".

Monodominant
2012-07-30, 08:02 AM
Ishmael checks correspondence referring to the Sun. Its just a hunch but he knows in many cultures the Sun is referred as Helios and hence "Gabriel Para-Helios" might be the one behind this facade.

planswalker
2012-07-30, 08:03 AM
Now that you're looking for it, it seems that indeed Mr. Sun is mentioned frequently. In the letters, he's the only one who speaks to Mr Bright with authority. In fact, the meeting tomorrow is a chance for "Glow" to give tributes to "Sun".

Monodominant
2012-07-30, 08:36 AM
Satisfied with what he knows so far and knowing that his target was indeed an influential Bishop Ishmael spends as much time needed to ensure he leaves the office just as he found it and even takes time to ensure he has not left any traces of his own presence there.

He subsequently visits the area where the secret door was and spends some time trying to figure out how it works and then to check if its somehow trapped.

Taking 20 on a search for 29.
In case there is a trap, disable device check: [roll0]

planswalker
2012-07-30, 02:41 PM
You are able to discern that the wall over the secret entrance is an illusion, one that includes tangible elements, although it is not actually solid and you can push through it without resistance. However, unless you KNOW it's an illusion and you'd have to be delusional in order to be likely to try to pass your hand through what feels like solid wall.

Still, your scouting mission earlier means you do indeed find the hidden entrance. There is a small sun-shaped depression in the face of the true wall. You find that there is indeed a trap, two in fact. You find an alarm and an inflict critical wounds trap. You successfully disable the alarm.

gonna need a roll for the inflict critical wounds.

Monodominant
2012-07-31, 07:29 AM
Ishmael holds his breath for a moment and sets to working on the harder trap.

He thanks Kelemvor that he had gotten such a fine enchanted implements of his work from Hagan before the man secluded himself in his own workshop...

Disable

[roll0]

planswalker
2012-07-31, 12:49 PM
You successfully disable the trap.

Monodominant
2012-08-02, 07:40 AM
Now that the traps are dealth with Ishmael pushes through the door, carefully trying to enter.

planswalker
2012-08-02, 07:53 AM
The third, dc 30 trap activates upon opening the door.

Make a will save.

5th level spells, always a dc 30 trap. Considering your level, I didn't think such a trap unreasonable to place.

Eventually, you're gonna learn to invest in search :P

Monodominant
2012-08-02, 08:09 AM
Haha, I guess so... I was thinking if there might be something I missed but heck... its an orphanage, what if a girl accidentally leaned on the wall...

In any case...

using a charge of the mind armor:

[roll0]

Ishmael curses under his breath just as he feels the cold clutches of wizardry upon him.

planswalker
2012-08-02, 08:15 AM
Whatever the effect was, you throw it off.

You find the door locked, with no obvious locking mechanism besides the sun-shaped depression in the door.

Monodominant
2012-08-02, 09:01 AM
Ishmael spends some time checking the sun shaped depression. No matter that there is no actual lock... this is what the lock is.

He tries to figure out how to use it, which includes pushing it in.

planswalker
2012-08-02, 02:22 PM
On closer inspection, it appears that the mechanism works by inserting a shape the exact size and shape of the depression in there. That activates a mechanism that will unlock the door. If only you knew of anything sun-shaped that's about that size...

Monodominant
2012-08-03, 06:11 AM
Ishmael tries to recall if he saw any sunlike pendants around the place. Given that its an orphanage created by a Pelorite there hopefully will be something like that.

planswalker
2012-08-03, 08:24 AM
As you think about it, you realize that it's the same size as a holy symbol and the chief of staff around here seems to be sporting exactly such an object.

Monodominant
2012-08-03, 09:11 AM
Ishmael curses.

The man had left the premises which meant he couldnt retrieve it...

Thats right, right? I think you said he left...

Given this he tries to 'fool' the lock and gain entry without the actual necklase by using anything similar he can find in his tool box and trying to get it open.

And by that I mean that if its mechanical and not magical in nature then I try to use disable devise/open lock to enter... as in it might be fancy and unconventional but a lock is still a lock...

planswalker
2012-08-03, 09:21 AM
hm... I'm gonna call for a disable device AND an open lock check here. DD to represent getting the pressure plate just right, as that seems the sort of thing that skill does, and open lock to well... open the lock. However, the tools you have are not suitable for this type of lock, so you lose any bonuses to OL from your tools for this check, and you're improvising with your finger, so -2 to the check. Seem fair?

I had INTENDED for this to be a scenario of "gotta buy a holy symbol of Pelor", but your solution makes sense as well. Trying to lay it out logically, taking into account the unique nature of this lock.

Monodominant
2012-08-03, 09:33 AM
Well... its night outside so going to buy stuff is not really an option :D

Plus I have another solution if this doesnt work... rest to regain by use per day and use 'knock' to get in :D

Ishmael examines the lock carefully. He laments that he doesnt have the specific tools for the job but he shakes his head. No way he can slip out, go buy a pendant and return... to much risk.

He goes invisible instead of just hiding, just in case, and focuses on the lock and mechanism. He breathes slowly and goes to work.

Although his tools are now not the best for the job he can still try and work it with his own abilities.

So disable device:

[roll0]

Open lock:

(I guess you mean I lose the +2 for them being masterwork and have a -2 instead. So I have currently +21 which takes a penalty of 4 and goes to 17. Does the fact that they are +5 magical dont count for anything? If it doess add 5 to my result... if not... dont :D )

[roll1]

planswalker
2012-08-03, 09:41 AM
You jigger with the mechanism, manage to put even pressure in all the right spots as you press it in, and twist your fingers to fit the shape. You are rewarded with a small gust of air as the door opens.

Monodominant
2012-08-03, 09:51 AM
Ishmael gives silent thanks to Kelemvor. It seemed the Judge favored him despite all the things the Pelorites threw at him.

Carefully he enters and closes the door behind him. There was a small chance he could be stuck here but it was still better given the possibilities.

planswalker
2012-08-03, 09:53 AM
The other side of the door seems to have a conventional locking mechanism, so you don't have to worry about that.

On the other side of the door, you notice that all the crates you'd found earlier were gone, presumably into the back room you'd heard talk of earlier. One does wonder why a triple-trapped, complex locked, HIDDEN room wasn't good enough...

Monodominant
2012-08-03, 09:58 AM
Ismael KNOWS why a triple super special room isnt good enough... cause people like him exist.

Without letting his satisfaction make him sloppy or careless he takes some time to ensure traces of his entry are not easily, or if possible at all, discovered. He cleans the door and the mechanisms and overall tries to ensure everything is as it was.

He then proceeds to search the room and find the back room they mentioned by following the way they were going before he had been almost discovered.

planswalker
2012-08-03, 10:00 AM
Even being very meticulous and thorough, all you can find is a hollow spot where there's obviously a room on the other side, but you can't seem to find the door.

Monodominant
2012-08-03, 10:02 AM
If there are any small holes or openings Ishmael will consumer one of his last 2 remainings Gaseous form potions and go through it.

planswalker
2012-08-03, 10:04 AM
The floor and ceiling seem to be made of packed earth and the walls are mortared stone. You don't find any cracks that seem to penetrate all the way through, though you can't be 100% certain unless you try, as some of them ARE showing signs of age.

Monodominant
2012-08-03, 10:05 AM
Given that there is no other option currently, Ishmael indeed tries.

Somehow air must go to that area hence its worth a try.

I assume I didnt find anything with a take 20 for search right?

planswalker
2012-08-03, 10:11 AM
no, you don't. I'm afraid that you're high enough level now that most things assume you can pass a dc 30+ search no problem. Even if ALL you had were max ranks and no mod, you'd be looking at a 12 skill total, allowing a 32 on taking 20. Throw in a typical 2 int mod, and you're talking close to 35. For those who have NO bonuses to search. Sorry about this, I don't like pulling the "you can't find it" card on you, but anything that's going to be near level-appropriate is gonna be about like this.

Your gaseous form seeps through... and cannot manage to pass through the wall. It does, however, discover a crack that runs along the wall and exxits into an underground chamber somewhere to our left.

Monodominant
2012-08-04, 04:22 AM
Understandable. I am pretty much stressed with my skill points considering I am not full rogue but have classes with 2 sp per level and 6 per level rather than full 8 per... plus the skulk stuff which were only hide and ms...

In any case no worries :D

Ishmael the gaseous one follows the cracks trying to gain entry to the location.

planswalker
2012-08-04, 04:25 AM
You follow the series of cracks into an underground cavern about 30 feet below the surface. All along the walls, shackles have been set up to accommodate prisoners. At the moment, they're all empty. A narrow tunnel leads upwards.

Monodominant
2012-08-06, 07:22 AM
Ishmael takes a note of the gruesome purpose this room may be used and floats up the narrow tunnel.

planswalker
2012-08-06, 09:37 AM
The narrow tunnel corkscrews back up to approximately where you thought the hidden room should be. In it, you find the crates that had disappeared.

Monodominant
2012-08-06, 04:07 PM
Bingo! Ishmael things.

Still given all the precautions, its just as likely this place is guarded furthermore or other traps exists.

For this reason he approaches carefully and indirectly, scanning the area first.

If nothing seems amiss only then does he approach and check the boxes themselves but without at first touching or opening any of them.

planswalker
2012-08-06, 04:20 PM
It's a good thing you approach cautiously, as there are indeed runes inscribed on the boxes. Now that you've found them, they hum iwth power in your ears.

Monodominant
2012-08-07, 02:30 AM
Ishmael tries to figure out if the runes are some kind of traps/wards and if he can bypass them without removing them... or if he can actually remove those that would not become very obvious.

planswalker
2012-08-07, 02:33 AM
Some indeed do seem to be traps of some sort that you can disable. The others... you're not sure.

Monodominant
2012-08-07, 03:55 AM
Ishmael first takes 'inventory'.

He checks how many boxes there are and if each one has the same runes or different.

He also tries to determine if the traps would go off. Is the trigger moving them, touching them or opening them?

planswalker
2012-08-07, 03:59 AM
There are a total of 20 crates, and they all seem warded. Without specific magical knowledge, you can really only tell the triggers. Most are triggered if the boxes are opened without the proper key. Some seem keyed to go off if something is read. Still others, these very recent, if someone touches the lid to the boxes wrong.

Monodominant
2012-08-07, 05:01 AM
They have actual locks? Its not just wooden crates?

A wild idea passes for a moment from Ishmael... he could break one from a distance and see what is in it that way!

He quickly dismisses it and proceed to examine these newest wards only to smile. Given his extensive knowledge of traps, even magical ones, he had realised one thing.

...boxes are opened without the proper key... ...touches the lid to the boxes wrong...

Ishmael grins and he proceeds to examine the farthest box from the entrance, hoping that by the time they have moved the other 19 boxes they wont pay attention to the last one.

Beeing very careful not to touch, or read, the wards he slowly and without touching the lid, tries to tip it to the side. This helps him determine the weight but also to see if similar wards exist at the bottom panel of the boxes.

planswalker
2012-08-07, 02:48 PM
the boxes don't have locks, but the lids are fastened securely on. The runes seem to be keyed to something. Not necessarily a key that would open a mundane lock. "Key" can mean several different related things in English. In this case, the specific item needed to bypass a protection other than a lock.

It is quite heavy, Trying to tip it will require significant effort from you, but you don't think it's outside your abilities to pull off, if you really try.

str check

Monodominant
2012-08-08, 08:13 AM
Got it. By the way I hope you understand my reasoning... Very often traps and stuff have specific 'rules' keyed into them... so if 'opening' the box or 'touching the lead' are as accurate and specific as Ishmael expects and thinks... that means that he can take a peak using the bottom instead!

The skulk takes a few deep breaths and knowing that his strength is greatly augmented by the belt he wears will most likely be the judge of his success or failure. One more 'gift' from Kelemvor for ending the life of the half-drow slaver he had found in the sewers.

The fact that the box is heavy is already a useful clue...

With that in mind he puts his muscles, and magic, to work and tries to carefully tip the box.

Well first off all I take 10 (for 13). If that doesnt work here go a few attempts. If none of these work then I will consider taking 20

[roll0] Edit: Woohoo! Thank you Dice Gods!
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

planswalker
2012-08-08, 08:38 AM
yes, that is smart thinking. Good job.

Your first casual attempt does nothing, but when you put your back into it the box falls on its side with a loud bang.

The sides are warded as well, but the very bottom has only a simple reinforcing rune on it.

Monodominant
2012-08-08, 08:51 AM
Ishmael grins to himself. Take that all you senior assassins thinking he was a weakling, only able to skulk!

As he sees the rune he frowns. Darnit... and only 1 charge left on his specialised tools.

Still he sets to work and tries to bypass, but not destroy if possible, the reinforcement rune.

Disable Device [roll0]

Edit: I really love today's dice! This high a result mean I can bypass without breaking any type of trap :D :D :D :D

planswalker
2012-08-08, 05:07 PM
You bypass the reinforcement rune. It will be inactive for the next 10 minutes.

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 02:19 AM
Once again he first checks the bottom carefully and proceeds to work.

Firstly he takes 2 minutes to ensure nothing can be heard from inside... just in case.

Taking 20... for... 18 on listen

After he is satisfied he sets in motion the next part of his plan!

He takes out his portable hole and places it at the bottom making a small enough hole to see what's inside but not spill the contents.

planswalker
2012-08-09, 02:46 AM
You peek inside and see....

The inside of your portable hole, a pocket extradimensional space. It includes such features as whatever you've put in there, blackness, and blank walls.

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 03:39 AM
Hmmm... wasnt there an item that allowed you to do ala 'comic' holes and stuff like that?

If it wasnt the portable hole I guess it was those strange pigments... something Marvellous pigments they were called... need to get me one of those.

Ishmael curses his sillyness. The portable hole was a useful, if somewhat glorified, bag of holdling and nothing more. Still he would need to discuss with Hagan about the creation of such an item for him...

Still he had other options, albeit not as 'clean' as this one had been.

He rummages -through- the portable hole and pulls out the various sets of artisans tools that he has. Selecting a hammer, nails, pliers, screwdriver and crowbar and also a small wooden wedge.

Then with care he uses the wedge at the joints of the wooden crate pushing the adjoining part slightly apart and then uses the crowbar and the pliers to remove the nails. (if there are actually screws instead of nails he uses the screwdriver instead).

planswalker
2012-08-09, 04:02 AM
I'm sure an item that silly exists. I don't know what it is and refuse to look one up. If you want something ala looney tunes, find it yourself. If it's from an AVB acceptable source, I'll allow it.

still, it gave me great laughter to be able to post the results of your portable hole. 150 xp for making me laugh that hard.

You begin work prying a corner loose from where it is nailed in.

intelligence check or a craft (carpentry) or associated check to see if you can do so without destroying the corner.

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 04:11 AM
I asked on 3.5 general... it would be heck of an item to have :D

I recently replayed King's Quest VI by Sierra and thats where I found this type of portable hole :D and thanks for the XP!

Ishmael is by no means a carpenter. He takes care not to damage the wood and does his best.

As you can imagine I dont really have craft carpentry, so straight intelligence it is.

[roll0]

Just to point out this shouldnt be terribly difficult... in real life I do stuff like that around the house all the time I am NOT intelligence 18 or carpentry person :D

planswalker
2012-08-09, 04:28 AM
Aye, it's not terribly difficult to get it open without destroying the corner, that's a dc 10. Opening it without leaving a permanent mark to attract suspicion is dc 15.

Your average guy can take 10 and pull off the maneuver if he doesn't mind a minor scuff on the corner. For your purposes, I assumed the ever-paranoid Ish would try to leave no evidence.

You pry it open just wide enough to peek inside.

There are long, narrow iron boxes inside the crate.

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 04:33 AM
Truly Kelemvor is favouring Ishmael tonight... this can only mean his actions are justified and supported since yet again he manages to succeed without a hitch...

What he finds inside bothers him...

A box within a box... and if these people have any sense of irony there will be one more box inside.

Ishmael examines the narrow iron boxes first, ensuring that they are not also trapped somehow and then picks one up to test its weight and details.

planswalker
2012-08-09, 04:46 AM
sorry, I didn't make it clear. There are about three iron boxes in each crate, about 5' long and 1.5'x1.5' across.

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 04:54 AM
Ishmael examines 1 of the three iron boxes in the crate. He searches in case its trapped and generally tries to figure out what it is, at least from the outside.

If he is satisfied that there are no traps on it (i.e. take 20 for 29 search) he opens it.

planswalker
2012-08-09, 05:03 AM
You find no traps on it, and it isn't locked.

reminding you: that's 4 minutes plus change used up in your 10 minute suppression of the reinforcement rune. That rune will be destroyed if the box isn't back together at the end of the suppression.

You open the iron box, and it is padded on the inside, almost as if it was a coffin...

only problem is that it's kinda small for an adult.

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 06:46 AM
Ishmaels eyes widden.

Coffin... for a small child... in an orphanage full of them.

He quickly dismisses the thought... even the Pelorites could not fall so low... it would make no sense.

He opens the other 2 boxes of this crate just to make sure its the same thing and then actually takes the one that he opened first if nothing more is found.

He then tries to 're-close' the crate.

planswalker
2012-08-09, 06:58 AM
You succeed in your stated actions. They are indeed just like the first.

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 07:20 AM
All these done Ishmael ponders how to proceed. If indeed children are in danger even he would have an issue with this...

Unfortunately him being semi-possessed by a demon means he cant once again go to the temple of Kelemvor and ask for guidance.

After a few moments of indecision he decides to try one more thing. He puts on his bracers of object reading and tries to get as much info as he can from the iron box he took with him.

Using the gloves to figure out some info about these boxes. Object reading gloves/bracers is from MIC

planswalker
2012-08-09, 08:31 AM
The latest owner was a female vampire spawn age 60 who was Lawful Evil. She gained the coffin when the previous owner died and lost the coffin when she died.

Before her, it was owned by a female vampire spawn age 17 who was Lawful Evil. She gained the coffin when the previous owner had it confiscated and lost the coffin when she died.

Before her, it was owned by a female vampire spawn age 13 who was Chaotic Evil. She gained the coffin when she was turned and lost the coffin when it was taken from her.

Before her, it was owned by a human male age 25 who was Lawful Evil. He gained it when he paid the blacksmith for his work and lost it when he gave it to the next owner.

Before him, it was owned by a human male age 50 who was Neutral Good. He gained it when he created it and lost it when he sold it to the one who commissioned it.

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 09:23 AM
!!!

And there I was thinking object reading gloves are pretty useless...

Ishmael gapes for a while. Vampire spawns... god darn it... were the Pelorites vampire spawn controllers or were they inflitrated by them?

So many questions... so many possibilities and of them truly horrible...

Well one thing was for sure... he was attending that meeting.

With all this information collected Ishmael first checks the door he couldnt figure out how to open from the inside, in case its easier this way to figure out the mechanism.

planswalker
2012-08-09, 03:19 PM
From this side, you merely slide it open.

planswalker
2012-08-09, 03:21 PM
From this side, you merely slide it open.

Monodominant
2012-08-10, 12:26 AM
Before leaving Ishmael returns the crate he tipped to its normal position (do you need me to roll again?) and then makes sure he covers any tracks he might have left around here. He also ensures nothing else seems amiss.

He then slides the door open and exits.

He has learned a lot but there is one more important thing to do given what he has learned...

He returns to the office and uses the gloves on the various important documents that he had found... namely the one about the meeting tomorrow.

planswalker
2012-08-10, 12:31 AM
It is owned by a human male who was Lawful Evil. He gained it when he received it.

Before that, it was owned by a human male who was Lawful Evil. He gained it when he wrote it. He lost it when he gave it to a messenger to deliver.

Monodominant
2012-08-10, 01:59 AM
Hmmm... no vampires or vampire spawn down this chain... still evil... strange for a theoretically Good church like that of Pelor though...

Satisfied, he places the documents back where they were and leaves this place.

He takes all precautions including invisibility, hiding and moving silently and finds the same roof he had spent a night when he had first monitored the orphanage. He eats a hearty iron ration and goes for a short sleep till early morning.

planswalker
2012-08-10, 02:08 AM
You sleep.

Monodominant
2012-08-10, 02:20 AM
Yes but do I wake up?

Assuming he wakes up Ishmael takes a look for a while towards the orphanage pondering what the hell is going on with that place...

He decides to take one more step into securing his position before pursuing further and as such after taking all precautions he visits the Duchess's house.

planswalker
2012-08-10, 02:22 AM
You die in your sleep. Willstaff found you.

You quickly gain entrance into the house.

Monodominant
2012-08-10, 02:31 AM
Ala 1980s/90s Sierra Adventure... you spend too long to finish the quest so you lose :D

Ishmael requests an audience and waits until it is granted.

planswalker
2012-08-10, 02:36 AM
well, I do have a general idea of what Willstaff is doing offscreen in his pursuit of the Devourer. You made it really hard on him.

His only clue is that when souls are devoured, there is NO evidence.

You end up having to wait a few hours, as Duchess Hordukka is in a meeting of state.

Monodominant
2012-08-10, 02:47 AM
Actually that was part of the plan...

If you recall I was leaving those Roman Numerals indicating the number of the murders but then stopped... then eventually I will start again...

Its actually done to throw of the scent... a serial killer and a second serial killer? Confusing heh!?

Ishmael will wait just as long as he will still have a few hours (3-4) before the indicated Pelorite meeting.

planswalker
2012-08-10, 02:51 AM
Duchess Hordukka sees you in good time.

"Ah, my best operative. How goes your mission?"