PDA

View Full Version : Energy Psion

Cardea
2012-06-13, 10:42 AM
I'm building a Kineticist, and I want to focus on Cold Powers.

So aside from those listed in the d20srd/EPH, can the playground name some and where I can find them? And on the slight chance there is one, a Psionic PrC that focuses on Cold Powers?

Feralventas
2012-06-13, 11:35 AM
I'm building a Kineticist, and I want to focus on Cold Powers.

So aside from those listed in the d20srd/EPH, can the playground name some and where I can find them? And on the slight chance there is one, a Psionic PrC that focuses on Cold Powers?

Crykineticist in Frostburn, though it's worse than the Pyrokineticist, and there's a cold variant For the pyrokineticist online.

It might, however, be easier to adapt a 'casting class for cold effects (two of the PrC's also from Frostburn) or some of the Elemental focus classes like Elemental Savant.

Urpriest
2012-06-13, 11:57 AM
There are very few Psionic PrCs that focus on manifesting, and of them none focus on cold powers.

For the powers themselves, XPH is going to contain almost all of the best ones. Complete Psionic actually nerfs a few of them, so it's a book to avoid if possible. Beyond that, not many sources have Psionic powers at all, and I don't think any have cold-based ones. Frostburn does have a few interesting energy powers though.

FaradayCage
2012-06-13, 01:29 PM
Be sure to pick up the "Privileged Energy (cold)" feat from Complete Psionic.

Rubik
2012-06-13, 02:53 PM
You might consider refluffing the energy powers a bit. Go both fire and cold, and say that you make the cold so intense that it burns. That way you can at least deal fire damage to cold-resistant enemies.

Also, the crystal powers can be ice shards.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-13, 03:09 PM
It might be a good idea to check Eberron books as psionics is much more integrated into the setting almost all of those books have at least some Psionic options (Secrets of Sarlona is a pretty good one to check as Sarlona is the Psion powers birthplace along with Humanity in Eberron).

Also if there is a mantled psion, the Element mantles from here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) might be a good idea.

Cardea
2012-06-13, 07:38 PM
Crykineticist in Frostburn, though it's worse than the Pyrokineticist, and there's a cold variant For the pyrokineticist online.

It might, however, be easier to adapt a 'casting class for cold effects (two of the PrC's also from Frostburn) or some of the Elemental focus classes like Elemental Savant.
... oh man, that PrC is terribad.

And yeah, it probably is, but I try and look for the simplest solution first.

There are very few Psionic PrCs that focus on manifesting, and of them none focus on cold powers.

For the powers themselves, XPH is going to contain almost all of the best ones. Complete Psionic actually nerfs a few of them, so it's a book to avoid if possible. Beyond that, not many sources have Psionic powers at all, and I don't think any have cold-based ones. Frostburn does have a few interesting energy powers though.
I saw those powers. They looked interesting enough.

You might consider refluffing the energy powers a bit. Go both fire and cold, and say that you make the cold so intense that it burns. That way you can at least deal fire damage to cold-resistant enemies.

Also, the crystal powers can be ice shards.
I try not to refluff when I can help it.

It might be a good idea to check Eberron books as psionics is much more integrated into the setting almost all of those books have at least some Psionic options (Secrets of Sarlona is a pretty good one to check as Sarlona is the Psion powers birthplace along with Humanity in Eberron).

Also if there is a mantled psion, the Element mantles from here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) might be a good idea.
Huh. I forgot about the prevalence of Psionics in Eberron. Thanks for the heads up.

And thank you for the link.

Psyren
2012-06-13, 09:52 PM
There's little in the way of official blaster-focused Psionic PrCs, but if you don't mind 3rd-Party there is DSP's Energist. (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/energist) (DSP's stuff is generally higher quality than most other 3rd-party out there and they are the folks behind Pathfinder Psionics.)