PDA

View Full Version : Have you experienced Game Transfer Phenomena?

cyberpsyke
2012-06-13, 12:18 PM
Game Transfer Phenomena (GTP) is the transfer of video game experiences to the real world; like hearing, seeing or doing things in real life as in the video game.

You are welcome to participate in the survey, there you can read other players experiences and check if you have experienced GTP and what types. I am doing this research as part of my PhD but the results will be published in my blog.

It takes approximately 10 minutes to complete the survey.

http://www.gametransferphenomena.com/survey.html

The purpose of my project is to clarify and demystify players’ phenomenological experiences in order to maximize the benefits of interactive media, as well as to understand automatic mental, physiological and behaviour processes that can be relevant in different areas of the sciences.

You are welcome to visit my website where you can find more information about the GTP project, join my Facebook group and check out my blog.

Check out this funny video about the first Game Transfer Phenomena study

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeuijyNEmOs

RagingKrikkit
2012-06-16, 09:39 PM
There, have fun with my data.

Acanous
2012-06-17, 01:26 AM
Now I've got the tetris song stuck in my head again :<

cyberpsyke
2012-06-19, 10:56 AM
There, have fun with my data.

Thanks for your colaboration! ;)

hobbitkniver
2012-06-20, 05:03 PM
How many responses have you gotten?

Cikomyr
2012-06-20, 06:02 PM
The Tetris Effect (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTetrisEffect)?

psilontech
2012-06-21, 12:49 AM
As already stated, have fun with my data.

cyberpsyke
2012-06-26, 07:05 AM
How many responses have you gotten?

Almost 1000 but I need more :)

The Succubus
2012-06-26, 07:10 AM
Whenever I have mushrooms for dinner I watch them intently for 10 minutes to make sure they don't start walking. I then eat with an arm around my plate to avoid them being jumped on by an overweight plumber.

Is that the sort of thing we're talking about?

cyberpsyke
2012-07-02, 03:58 AM
Whenever I have mushrooms for dinner I watch them intently for 10 minutes to make sure they don't start walking. I then eat with an arm around my plate to avoid them being jumped on by an overweight plumber.

Is that the sort of thing we're talking about?

Yes!!! your comment qualify as a GTP experience.

Wraith
2012-07-02, 06:56 AM
I'm genuinely relieved to know that this has happened to other people, and it's not just me losing my mind....

About this time last year, I was playing Red Dead Redemption. A lot. I made something like 95% completion in a month while working full time. It reached the point where I was waiting for a bus and looked up to see a bird fly over me. I was genuinely confused for several minutes while I wondered why I had turned off the auto-aim feature.

Gods help me, but I had forgotten that I needed to turn my head if I wanted to watch something go by.....:smalleek:

The Succubus
2012-07-02, 07:58 AM
I'm genuinely relieved to know that this has happened to other people, and it's not just me losing my mind....

About this time last year, I was playing Red Dead Redemption. A lot. I made something like 95% completion in a month while working full time. It reached the point where I was waiting for a bus and looked up to see a bird fly over me. I was genuinely confused for several minutes while I wondered why I had turned off the auto-aim feature.

Gods help me, but I had forgotten that I needed to turn my head if I wanted to watch something go by.....:smalleek:

If it took 3 minutes to look, you're being played by a keyboard turner. :smalltongue:

GungHo
2012-07-02, 08:23 AM
I responded to the survey. I used to have Final Fantasy dreams when I was playing the hell out of FF6. Probably the only real thing that bleeds into my life now is Grand Theft Auto or Saint's Row games where some activities in game are similar to activities in real life (i.e. driving). If I've played GTA for a very long time, I find I'm more likely to ignore traffic laws... like going through a red light if there is no cross traffic or turning left when a left turn wouldn't be legal. When I did it, I didn't endanger anyone, but I never realized what I did/why I did it until right after I'd rolled through and then I was like "GungHo, you need to lay off the damn video games."

Thanatos 51-50
2012-07-02, 10:38 AM
I don't know if having video game music stuck in your head really counts? That happens with all music, to me.

Anyway: One more data point: You has it.

jebob
2012-07-04, 01:49 AM
Survey Complete!