PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Sorceradin

Jack Zander
2012-06-13, 02:36 PM
How viable is a paladin 2/sorcerer X/eldritch knight X in Pathfinder? Would I be better off without the eldritch knight levels?

I'm not really looking for your typical buffing gish, like a magus. I'd be more aiming for a battlefield controller that has the option to melee or range. A jack of all trades I suppose (healer, melee, range, and arcane).

Novawurmson
2012-06-13, 02:39 PM
I don't think you're going to be that much of a healer with that build...you'll probably be able to melee and arcane decently enough, but I think if you try to do range, you'll end up hurting either your melee capability or your arcane.

Jack Zander
2012-06-13, 02:46 PM
I don't mean dedicated healer. More of a "I have the ability to use cure light wounds wands!"

And I figured I could dump STR, take Dancing Dervish (or whatever its called), and then with a high DEX be decent (AKA capable of hitting) with both melee and range (so long as its not into melee) and spend the rest of my focus on the arcane aspect.

eggs
2012-06-13, 02:57 PM
The "mostly casting, dabbling in melee/ranged combat" thing is where the PF versions of the build run into trouble compared to 3.5 - normally, a Paladin 2/[Casting build 18] can do a decent job casting and have decent saves, but without buffing, will get torn to pieces in melee, and a Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Dragon Disciple 4/Eldritch Knight 10 will have a strong melee basis, but cast offensively like the Wizard did 5 levels earlier.

I'd try Paladin 2/Sorcerer [Orc] 13/Spherewalker 5 on this one - keep casting only 2-levels behind, use Orc's strength and Spherewalker's marginally improved melee abilities to try to cut it in melee, and use blasting spells to replace weapon-based ranged combat.

Alefiend
2012-06-13, 03:26 PM
Pathfinder also tends to reward you for sticking to a single class, much more so than 3.5 did. Make sure you want the benefits of multiclassing before you forgo the straighter path.

Jack Zander
2012-06-13, 03:31 PM
I'd try Paladin 2/Sorcerer [Orc] 13/Spherewalker 5 on this one - keep casting only 2-levels behind, use Orc's strength and Spherewalker's marginally improved melee abilities to try to cut it in melee, and use blasting spells to replace weapon-based ranged combat.

I don't know what this spherewalking thing is, but I did see the orc bloodline and I like the idea of using improved scorching rays for my ranged attacks. Then i could pick half-elf as my race and be 50% human, 50% elf, 50% orc. That's 150% PC, baby!

Though human is probably best for the more spells known...

doko239
2012-06-13, 06:09 PM
Paladin 2 can't use wands of CLW, as they do not have a caster level until level 4. You'd be making UMD checks before that point.

eggs
2012-06-13, 06:16 PM
I don't know what this spherewalking thing is, but I did see the orc bloodline and I like the idea of using improved scorching rays for my ranged attacks. Then i could pick half-elf as my race and be 50% human, 50% elf, 50% orc. That's 150% PC, baby!
That settles it - Paladin/Orc Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple, just to work an extra 50% dragon into the mix! :smalltongue:

EDIT:
Someday I will remember where all the lines go between PF and 3.5.
Someday...

doko239
2012-06-13, 06:39 PM
That settles it - Paladin/Orc Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple, just to work an extra 50% dragon into the mix! :smalltongue:

EDIT:
Someday I will remember where all the lines go between PF and 3.5.
Someday...

You could go Half-Elf Paladin/Crossblooded Sorcerer (Orc/Dragon)/Dragon Disciple with Eldritch Heritage (Abyssal). Half Human, Half Elf, Half Orc, Half Dragon, Half Demon, for 250% PC!

Call him Billy Mays, cause that's a hell of a deal!

deuxhero
2012-06-13, 07:01 PM
Paladin 2 can't use wands of CLW, as they do not have a caster level until level 4. You'd be making UMD checks before that point.

Yes they can. Level 3 and under Paladins are explicitly mentioned in the wand description as an example.

eggs
2012-06-13, 07:37 PM
You could go Half-Elf Paladin/Crossblooded Sorcerer (Orc/Dragon)/Dragon Disciple with Eldritch Heritage (Abyssal). Half Human, Half Elf, Half Orc, Half Dragon, Half Demon, for 250% PC!

Call him Billy Mays, cause that's a hell of a deal!

YES! More percent = more better!

doko239
2012-06-13, 07:38 PM
Yes they can. Level 3 and under Paladins are explicitly mentioned in the wand description as an example.

Huh, look at that, I've been doing it wrong. Good to know :smallbiggrin:

Callous
2012-06-13, 07:40 PM
Do you mean.. Sorcablargh? :smallconfused::smallcool::smallsigh::smallsmile:: smallwink::smalltongue::smallyuk::smallredface::to ngue::tongue::wink::yuk::furious::mad::eek::belkar ::redcloak::thog:

Jack Zander
2012-06-14, 12:26 AM
Okay, I'm about to completely scrap my original idea and just see how many various races I can throw into the mix at once now.

The only problem is my DM said its a relatively "ordinary" world that we start in (but will end up in some sort of alternate more magical world sorta like Narnia) so we are kind of limited to just the base races. Though I originally asked if I could be a sorcerer with the Dijinn bloodline and say I was a genie trying to regain power, and he said yes to that (whether or not that was true or my PC was a bit crazy was still up to debate/interpretation).

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-06-14, 12:35 AM
PF guide to "Gish" (https://docs.google.com/document/d/10jQgMH85x_YuhgtOYMiEI7b3WyM08MXDbt-fNPRuZ6Y/edit)

Discussion (http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz5q7h?Zolthuxs-Guide-to-the-Gish#45)

This has quite a few tips on how to make this work for you.

grarrrg
2012-06-14, 12:41 AM
Okay, I'm about to completely scrap my original idea and just see how many various races I can throw into the mix at once now.

*yawn*
Been there, done that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12572865#post12572865).
:smallwink:

Jack Zander
2012-06-14, 12:50 AM
Awesome, thanks guys!