PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Cubes

killianh
2012-06-13, 05:52 PM
Quick question: Can you stack the cubes from the cleric spell "Fire Storm" On top of each other? Or do all of the cubes need to be separated from each other?

The Glyphstone
2012-06-13, 06:12 PM
They, in fact, cannot be separated. It has the (S) tag, for (Shapable), meaning the entire spell area must be contiguous. So it is perfectly legal to stack them on top of each other, though I don't see why it would be useful (a creature inside multiple cubes would still only be hit once).

killianh
2012-06-13, 06:15 PM
It would be useful (In regards to that spell) because even if the reflex save is made its 18d6 fire damage per cube with a total of 36 cubes (I'm level 18) Thank you for the info!

tyckspoon
2012-06-13, 06:22 PM
It would be useful (In regards to that spell) because even if the reflex save is made its 18d6 fire damage per cube with a total of 36 cubes (I'm level 18) Thank you for the info!

It sounds like you're trying to argue for hitting the same area with every cube, and calling that 36 separate instances of the spell? Doesn't work- spells don't do damage per area. It's a basic binary check- is this creature in the area of the spell? If yes, it is affected by the spell (that is, the entire spell, once, not that particular square of the spell's total area.) If not, it is not. This doesn't work any more than a Large creature takes multiple damage from a single Fireball.

(If you really need to pin-point nuke something to avoid collateral damage, then you can target all of your optional cubes to the same space to achieve that result. I'd probably just use Flame Strike for that purpose, tho.)

The Glyphstone
2012-06-13, 07:11 PM
Oooh.....you're not trying to stack them on top of each other like blocks, you're trying to overlap them into the same 10ft. space.

No, that is not allowed, and even if it was, it would be useless. As I said, a creature inside multiple 'cubes' (whether by being Huge+ or you overlapping them) would only save vs. 1 instance of the damage - the spell only cares if you're inside the total area, the cubes aren't separate instances of the spell.

Particle_Man
2012-06-13, 09:14 PM
Now I am thinking of someone trying to cast this into a tesseract (or other multi-dimensional spatial shape) that from the outside only looks like a single cube.