PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick a Domain!

Roguenewb
2012-06-13, 06:13 PM
So, I'm about to hit level 5 with a Gish-y Sorcerer-based character, and I think I'm going to grab the ACF from Complete Champion to allow me access a Domain. So, here's what I'm thinking so far:

Knowledge Domain: To go with my Knowledge Devotion, gets me all Know skills, and has some decent spells.

Spell Domain: Gets me Mage Armor for abjurant champion without a spell slot. As well as limited wish, Break enchantment, AMF, and with Versatile Spell Caster, Disjunction if I need it. But, the real kicker: Anyspell and Greater Anyspell, it seems like the best thing to ever happen to a Sorcerer. If I can use Mnemonic Enhancer to Get my Anyspell two times a day, I'll really be cooking!

Time Domain: Improved Initiative and Haste, Contingency and Foresight seem pretty tasty.

Planning Domain: Extend Spell, that is all. Discern Location and Greater Scrying aren't toooo bad...

Undeath Domain: Just cause I think it would give me turning attempts, allowing for shenanigans....

Am I missing anything? Good ideas?

GutterFace
2012-06-13, 09:12 PM
I've been playing a Factotum with all knowledge's and Knowledge Devotion

if you are going to do this spend the 2 skill points and get the skill trick Collector of stories.

this is good for hit/damage. BUT what makes it super is knowing a monster. ie what are they and what can they do. making a good check and knowing what crazy things a creature can do is amazing and a life saver.

Time Domain is very good too for the Initiative bonus since a Sorc's dex is usually low. why? When making a touch attack when you get to go first they are considered flat footed. which means you bypass their Dex mod for armor. which means pretty much you have to meet/beat a 10 to hit. great for that Orb of whatever you plan on dropping them with :)

all are decent choices but it depends on what your party might need.

Domains = fun!

Elric VIII
2012-06-13, 09:31 PM
War domain is rather nice for a Gish. You get Magic Vestment, Spiritual Weapon, and Divine Power (this is a pretty good spell).

Arcanist
2012-06-14, 05:52 AM
War domain is rather nice for a Gish. You get Magic Vestment, Spiritual Weapon, and Divine Power (this is a pretty good spell).

Thats on the regular cleric list through... and at the exact same level :smallconfused:

Ceaon
2012-06-14, 06:01 AM
The OP's character is a sorcerer, not a cleric, though.

Edit: Mage Armor is not Abjuration, so it doesn't benefit from Abjurant Champion (even though it is mentioned in the sample character).

Acanous
2012-06-14, 06:13 AM
Undeath, Planning, Knowledge and Travel are the most-often advised domains, from what I've seen. Travel is for the teleport spells that clerics don't usually get, although the freedom of movement for free can be nice. So strike that, and you've got three.

Planning is usually grabbed so people can get early access to DMM: Persist.
You don't need DMM, but if you want Extend spell for free, planning is good.

So Undeath and Knowledge. Possibly Luck (Because that reroll is handy)
Undeath *Should* give you turn attempts, but double-check with your DM first. If it does, grab that, you'll qualify for all sorts of shennanigans.

Elric VIII
2012-06-14, 07:27 AM
Undeath, Planning, Knowledge and Travel are the most-often advised domains, from what I've seen. Travel is for the teleport spells that clerics don't usually get, although the freedom of movement for free can be nice. So strike that, and you've got three.

Planning is usually grabbed so people can get early access to DMM: Persist.
You don't need DMM, but if you want Extend spell for free, planning is good.

So Undeath and Knowledge. Possibly Luck (Because that reroll is handy)
Undeath *Should* give you turn attempts, but double-check with your DM first. If it does, grab that, you'll qualify for all sorts of shennanigans.

Those are good domains, but mostly for Clerics, since they give access to things a Cleric normally doesn't have. For the OP's purpose, it should be the other way around.

Charm domain has a great power, +4 untyped bonus to Cha for 1 min as a free action, plus a good set of Enchantment spells.

Competition domain gives you Righteous Might and Divine Power, along with some cool spells like Zeal (a great abjuration spell that gives maneuverability and +AC).

Mysticism gives you +Cha to a saving throw, Righteous Might, and the Visage of the Diety line.

Nobility gives you/allies +2 to attack, damage, skills, and saves for Cha rounds 1/day, plus access to Divine Favor.

Renewal lets you heal 1d8+Cha immediately if you fall into the negatives and don't die. You also get Lesser and Greater Restoration.

Also, with regards to Anyspell: technically the spell it preapares is in your domain slot, so by RAW that doesn't work for a Sorcerer.

WinWin
2012-06-14, 07:31 AM
The Celestia Domain gives a number of iconic cleric buffs.

Shield Other, Magic Vestment, Righteous Might, Divine Power and Shield of Faith, to name a few. The granted power is a nice debuff aura.

Has a requirement of Lawful Good though.

The other Planar Domains might be OK, depending on your characters alignment and tactics, but Celestia is the real standout for a gish.

Elric VIII
2012-06-14, 07:38 AM
The Celestia Domain gives a number of iconic cleric buffs.

Shield Other, Magic Vestment, Righteous Might, Divine Power and Shield of Faith, to name a few. The granted power is a nice debuff aura.

Has a requirement of Lawful Good though.

The other Planar Domains might be OK, depending on your characters alignment and tactics, but Celestia is the real standout for a gish.

The Planar domains are the equivalent of two domains (as stated in the SpC or the Planar Cleric ACF), so your DM might not allow this.

Acanous
2012-06-14, 07:44 AM
Frankly I never saw why, the powers aren't that great and the spells you should have access to anyway.