PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Double weapon with reach. Such weapon is available somewhere?

Fenryr
2012-06-13, 10:34 PM
Yo, hello! I apologize for my strange or difficult request in advance.

For a character concept (Cavalier/Crusader) I need a double weapon with reach. After doing a quick search on the Internetz, I found nothing like that. Any double weapon with reach? Also, I need one of the ends to be bludgeoning. The other I don't mind if it's slash or piercing.

Perhaps I need to homebrew it. How can I homebrew one? A quarterstaff with reach and a pointy end? How may I calculate the value in GP of that weapon?

Thanks.

VGLordR2
2012-06-13, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure if this works in Pathfinder, but in 3.5, you can wield two small-sized reach weapons. Since they're small, you can use one in each hand, but they keep their reach.

Khosan
2012-06-13, 10:44 PM
There's the kusarigama from Pathfinder's Ultimate Combat (you can find it here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/eastern-weapons)). It's a double reach weapon with trip and grapple, and one part of it deals bludgeoning damage. It's exotic and, since I think you're looking for more of a 'long stick' type of reach weapon, might not be what you're looking for.

There's also the boarding gaff from PF's Pirates of the Inner Sea (here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#exotic-two-handed)). No bludgeoning damage, but it is a double weapon with reach and trip. If you're going to homebrew, I'd say start from that.

Fenryr
2012-06-13, 10:52 PM
The Kusarigama is pretty cool but yeah, I need a long stick. The character will attach a flag to the bludgeoning end.

The boarding gaff is much better. I only need to add some extra gold and it will have bludgeoning. Thanks for this.

If anyone else founds such a weapon, I will love you forever thank you a lot.

herrhauptmann
2012-06-13, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure if this works in Pathfinder, but in 3.5, you can wield two small-sized reach weapons. Since they're small, you can use one in each hand, but they keep their reach.

You'd also take -4 for each weapon just for size penalties.
Also unsure if it's even possible to wield a 2 handed weapon in 1 hand. Regardless of size issues, some weapons require 2 hands just for the leverage. Of course, that doesn't always mean anything with regard to the rules.

So you're going to do a cavalier/crusader type, I assume mounted, right? But wielding a nautical type weapon?
Also, 'add extra gold to make it bludgeoning'? How's that happen?

VGLordR2
2012-06-13, 11:57 PM
You'd also take -4 for each weapon just for size penalties.
Also unsure if it's even possible to wield a 2 handed weapon in 1 hand. Regardless of size issues, some weapons require 2 hands just for the leverage. Of course, that doesn't always mean anything with regard to the rules.

Because I didn't know of any double reach weapons, I offered this as a possible alternative. Also, a small weapon in the hands of a medium creature is treated as a one-handed weapon.

Fenryr
2012-06-14, 06:17 AM
Not mounted. I want that Cavalier to be the strategist and White Raven of the party. This idea is not finished, anyways. It could change.

Also, if the nautical weapon is the best option, I will ask the DM for permission to refluff the weapon into chivalry. And the extra gold is due that homebrew is probably the best option. When a weapon deals more than one type of damage it tends to cost more. Just an idea, no rule here.

lunar2
2012-06-14, 01:06 PM
it would seem that what you need isn't necessarily bludgeoning damage, but a weapon with a haft to attach a flag to. unless, of course, you just want bludgeoning damage. if you just want bludgeoning so you can have a flag on that end, a spear type weapon may work for you. also, do both sides need to be reach? if so, take a long spear, add a DMG 3.5 Kusari-gama (light weapon, 10 foot reach, 1d6 slashing crit x2, trips like a spiked chain) to the back, add the costs together, and take an exotic weapon feat for it.

deuxhero
2012-06-14, 01:09 PM
Quarterstaff doesn't get reach, but there may be some obscure way to get it that.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-14, 01:22 PM
If you want to carry a flag around, the Samurai historically just stuck mini-flagpoles on their backs and ran around with those. It also keeps your flag from being desecrated/touching the ground/covered with blood, which are all pretty big taboos with regard to flags. Probably not what you're going for, but its an idea.

There's a weapon in MIC which is fluffed as a flag-spear and even gives some aura-like benefits.

You could take one of those reach deformity feats to threaten like a reach weapon, then just weild a quarterstaff with a flag on it. I'm sure there's some weapon enhancement to make it threaten like it had reach..

Pyromancer999
2012-06-14, 02:31 PM
I think Spiked Chain might do it.

Zubrowka74
2012-06-14, 02:49 PM
Asian martial arts have a legion of weird chain-based weapons that could fit the bill. Meteor hammer comes to mind.

eggs
2012-06-14, 02:50 PM
The Oriental Adventures chain can be used as either a bludgeoning reach weapon or a double weapon. It's not useful for full attacking a big monster without approaching, but it can be useful for control.

Eonir
2012-06-14, 03:25 PM
Dragon Magazine had a feat (Short Haft I think?) that allowed you to use the other end of a polearm to hit with. It's not pathfinder, but just throwing it out there.

EDIT: It is from #331 and called "Haft Strike".

Namfuak
2012-06-14, 03:31 PM
Dragon Magazine had a feat (Short Haft I think?) that allowed you to use the other end of a polearm to hit with. It's not pathfinder, but just throwing it out there.

EDIT: It is from #331 and called "Haft Strike".

Short haft is from PHBII. Swift action to change your reach weapon that isn't a spiked chain or a whip to a non-reach weapon and another swift to go back.

RandomLunatic
2012-06-14, 03:40 PM
Does it have to be a double weapon? I ask because lances, the traditional cavalier weapon, have reach and can be wielded in one hand while mounted. You can dual-wield them while riding, and knights were known to tie all sorts of pennants and flags to them.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-14, 04:04 PM
I think Spiked Chain might do it.

Nope. Especially not PF version.

Fenryr
2012-06-14, 04:18 PM
@RandomLunatic: The idea of a double weapon is to do two types of damages and one of them MUST be bludgeoning. The character is Lawful Good and will make the correct procedures (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/bludgeoner-combat) when capturing enemies who deserve a trial or court justice.

@Eonir: If I remember correctly, that feat forces me to do a full-attack.

@Zubrowka74 and eggs: Thank you. I don't own that book but I will ask a friend of mine who does to take a look.

Thanks again for all the ideas and posts.

Eonir
2012-06-14, 04:24 PM

*Opens Dragon Mag, Actually reads feat*

Yup, you're right.

TuggyNE
2012-06-14, 04:26 PM
@RandomLunatic: The idea of a double weapon is to do two types of damages and one of them MUST be bludgeoning. The character is Lawful Good and will make the correct procedures (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/bludgeoner-combat) when capturing enemies who deserve a trial or court justice.

Any feat that can be surpassed by a weapon enchantment (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons#TOC-Merciful) is not worth taking, in my opinion.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-14, 05:00 PM

...Does it matter? Unless you're taking Wolf Fang Strike or something, you're not using it without a full attack.

Edit: I skimmed.

RandomLunatic
2012-06-14, 05:40 PM
So then it does not actually have to be a double weapon? Because leafing through the Pathfinder SRD, it lists the Bec-de-Corbin and Lucerne Hammer, which are two-handed martial weapons with reach and the ability to switch between bludgeoning and piercing damage.

Fenryr
2012-06-14, 06:11 PM
Any feat that can be surpassed by a weapon enchantment (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons#TOC-Merciful) is not worth taking, in my opinion.

Let's assume it's a double weapon. I need two +1 and then an additional +1 to get my goal because the nonlethal damage is not his priority. That's a LOT of money considering my DM. Also, if a warrior knows how to use his weapon to do brutal and nonlethal damage is more interesting for me.

So then it does not actually have to be a double weapon? Because leafing through the Pathfinder SRD, it lists the Bec-de-Corbin and Lucerne Hammer, which are two-handed martial weapons with reach and the ability to switch between bludgeoning and piercing damage.

Mh, 'm so blind. The idea of a character spinning his weapon to switch damage is cool but perhaps impossible without homebrew in this Pathfinder. Thanks a lot. I think I will use it.

Thanks everyone. Cheers.