PDA

View Full Version : practical applications for a portable hole.

robertbevan
2012-06-14, 02:24 AM
what are they?

for example... say i wanted to walk through a wall. could i? or would i just be walking into some extradimensional space?

Thiyr
2012-06-14, 02:58 AM
You'd just be walking into an extranondimensional space, sadly.that said, they make good mass-storage, and if money isn't an issue/you have a ton of them or their relic cousin the enveloping pit, you can make a mighty fine portable hotel for people (portable holes inside portable holes, add ladders and some support structure for walls/floors/roofs/etc, put some furniture in. Some additional infrastructure to take requests and you can set yourself up as the classy and safe way for adventurers to spend the night.)

robertbevan
2012-06-14, 03:57 AM
so they're just big bags of holding?

kardar233
2012-06-14, 05:42 AM
so they're just big bags of holding?

Yes. It would be really cool to have a Yellow Submarine-esque hole that you can just stick onto things, but unfortunately there's no printed item that does that AFAIK.

ahenobarbi
2012-06-14, 05:50 AM
Yes. It would be really cool to have a Yellow Submarine-esque hole that you can just stick onto things, but unfortunately there's no printed item that does that AFAIK.

Marvellous pigments?

Incorrect
2012-06-14, 05:59 AM
Slide half of it under a closed door, enter the hole from your own side and exit on the other.
Could also be used to bypass iron bars.

Thiyr
2012-06-14, 06:03 AM
Marvellous pigments?

True, that does do the "suddenly a hole" thing pretty well...though admittedly not perfectly, as you'd have to draw what's on the other side as well. Best to draw a few cracks for structural disintegrity to facilitate smashery rather than a whole hole, anyway, to be honest.

And note that "big bag of holding" is both accurate and feels kinda like an understatement. Especially when it comes to the enveloping pit. 5x the space for something like 1/5 the cost, all for a measly alignment restriction? Oh so good for non-immediate storage, and it'll hold a far larger quantity of the things with nails sticking out of them (from when they were formerly nailed to the floor) that you're inevitably looting.

Acanous
2012-06-14, 06:06 AM
they can also be great for fighting anything mindless, like zombies, oozes, or golems.

ahenobarbi
2012-06-14, 07:45 AM
they can also be great for fighting anything mindless, like zombies, oozes, or golems.

Ooooh :elan:

robertbevan
2012-06-14, 08:32 AM
these are not the responses i was hoping for. this is throwing a big wrench into a major plot point in my next book.

i think i'm going to go with the looney tunes version of the portable hole.

BerronBrightaxe
2012-06-14, 09:10 AM
ah, what you are looking for is a portable portal or portable stoneshape

Salanmander
2012-06-14, 09:20 AM
these are not the responses i was hoping for. this is throwing a big wrench into a major plot point in my next book.

i think i'm going to go with the looney tunes version of the portable hole.

If you have some creative control (DM, writer, etc.) You can, of course, just go "poof, here's the item i was thinking of".

Unfortunately, the best name for it is already taken, and I'm not sure how much it should cost.

Snowbluff
2012-06-14, 09:55 AM
You'd just be walking into an extranondimensional space, sadly.that said, they make good mass-storage, and if money isn't an issue/you have a ton of them or their relic cousin the enveloping pit, you can make a mighty fine portable hotel for people (portable holes inside portable holes, add ladders and some support structure for walls/floors/roofs/etc, put some furniture in. Some additional infrastructure to take requests and you can set yourself up as the classy and safe way for adventurers to spend the night.)

Wait! Doesn't bad stuff happen when you put one extra-dimensional space-time warping object inside another such object?

DeusMortuusEst
2012-06-14, 10:23 AM
Wait! Doesn't bad stuff happen when you put one extra-dimensional space-time warping object inside another such object?

IIRC there's no actual rules for that, besides some notes saying that if you put a bag of holding inside a rope trick (I believe) something bad might happen. So no, that's a leftover from older editions (Again: I believe)

VGLordR2
2012-06-14, 10:27 AM
IIRC there's no actual rules for that, besides some notes saying that if you put a bag of holding inside a rope trick (I believe) something bad might happen. So no, that's a leftover from older editions (Again: I believe)

I think it originated from the Bag of Holding (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bag_of_Holding).