PDA

View Full Version : Bayonetta

Dumbledore lives
2012-06-14, 08:15 AM
So I was bored yesterday, so decided to see if I could make a character similar to Bayonetta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonetta) from her titular game. The most important aspect I saw was quad wielding, and the easiest way I know to do that was refluffed Thri-Keen, so I figured that's all good, started making one as a Warblade and ended up with a build I was fairly happy with.

For feats you need Hand Crossbow focus for reloading, Rapid shot for more attacks, Improved Multiweapon Fighting and its younger cousin for more attacks, and crossbow Sniper to put out some damage. At level 10 I was ending up with 9 attacks at a decent bonus, so I was pretty have with that, especially with some homebrew archery disciplines to add the extra umph that was needed.

I'm wondering if the playground can do any better however, and I'm sure they can. Now some of the things are difficult to replicate, ie the Witchtime slowmo and the enormous hair attacks, but refluffing can cover a surprising amount.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-14, 08:23 AM
If all you want are multiple attacks I guess that works, but Bayonetta does a lot more than that. Impossible dodging skills, shapeshifting, walking on walls, manipulating her hair...

Of course, if you are already at the point of refluffing a goddamn thri-kreen as a sexy witch, I guess you good just refluff everything. *shrug* Maybe refluff the walls as the ground for wall-walking.

Dumbledore lives
2012-06-14, 08:34 AM
If all you want are multiple attacks I guess that works, but Bayonetta does a lot more than that. Impossible dodging skills, shapeshifting, walking on walls, manipulating her hair...

Of course, if you are already at the point of refluffing a goddamn thri-kreen as a sexy witch, I guess you good just refluff everything. *shrug* Maybe refluff the walls as the ground for wall-walking.

Well how else would you suggest quadruple wielding, if there is another way that would be great, but off the top of my head I couldn't think of any. As for dodging she gets +30 to jump from Thri-Keen so that helps, as does the extra speed. Running on walls could be gotten through either spiderwalk or up the walls, and the others I'm unsure about.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-14, 09:07 AM
Making Bayonetta would be very difficult. Her powers are vast and disparate. You're going to need some form of caster, but you'll still not be able to do everything she does and will have a bunch of unrelated junk you didn't need/want. May be best to just make up a whole new "Umbra Witch" class for her or something.

Otherwise, I'd start w/ a Sorceror going full-out gish (Abjurant Champ. 5, Spellsword 1, any other way to buff BAB and spellcasting simultaneously). Perhaps a Stalwart Battle Sorc, but that'd be a giant waste if not staying in sorc anyway.

Wings of Cover re-fluffed can be your insane dodging skills. Celerity spells and later Time Stop can be Witch Time (well, can't hurt people during time stop...hey, maybe you should go Swift Blade).

There's a spell somewhere to animate weapons to float around you and attack. Well, there's several, but I recall only one of them was actually worth casting. That re-fluffed could help do the quad-shooting.

Bayonetta uses a goodly amount of martial arts, too. So Ascetic Mage or Psion feat with a dip, possibly. Like I said, it's difficult.

EDIT: Warblade/Caster/Jade Pheonix Mage to eventually obtain Finishing Move and fluff that as the summoning finishers? Would come on board super-late, though.

Krazzman
2012-06-14, 09:13 AM
Hmmm

afaik in Pathfinder the witch can control her hair like a limb to... grapple or smack people in the face. With a minor Hex.

Guns are avaible in Pathfinder too.

Spiderwalk could come from either special footwear or witchspells or that swordsage stance or monk acf.

Arbane
2012-06-14, 12:35 PM
Hmmm

afaik in Pathfinder the witch can control her hair like a limb to... grapple or smack people in the face. With a minor Hex.

Spiderwalk could come from either special footwear or witchspells or that swordsage stance or monk acf.

I'm pretty sure there's a PF class that gets guns and spells, but I forget the name off-hand. (EDIT: Found it: The Spellslinger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/spellslinger).) That'd be a good place to start, along with the Witch.

Bayonetta's so high-powered, she'd probably have to be a gestalt or epic-level character. Or both.

Madwand99
2012-06-14, 01:34 PM
At a certain point, it's best just to give in and accept that D&D can't do a very good job of replicating the feel of certain kinds of characters in games and media, particularly ones that are like "superheroes", like Bayonetta. You can sometimes duplicate some of the things these kinds of characters can do in D&D... sort of.

You are really best off using a different system, particularly one designed for superheroes. Mutants and Masterminds could duplicate her powers almost exactly, for example, but almost any good superhero system could do it too.

BlueEyes
2012-06-14, 02:16 PM
Guys, he said "similar to Bayonetta", not a replica.

Feralventas
2012-06-14, 07:44 PM
If you can give me a basic list of the character's abilities or at least the ones you want to emulate, there are probably options available, either mechanically or at least in terms of fluff that would make a translation from platform to desktop possible.

From what I've read so far,
Wielding 4 weapons at once?
Ghost hand and Poltergeist Hand from Ghostwalk. The first just lets you have a Mage Hand effect at touch range, but the second lets you have as many as your Charisma Modifier, so you can be wielding as many weapons as your ability score allows +2 in your hands.

The White-haired Witch archetype does give a lot of hair-based combative abilities, though mainly as weapons rather than defensive abilities (unless you count Combat Reflexes and reach).

Fire-arms can be done with Spell-slinger, but Amateur Gunslinger will probably suffice regardless of the class.

Shape-shifting can be done with 'caster levels, though if you want it a bit more at-will you might look into Warlock for the shape-shifting invocations to be found there. If you decide to do so you might also inquire with your DM if you can just outright homebrew-hack the character to have:

-White-haired Witch's hex build in place of Warlock's normal class features for that level (Save for keeping Eldritch Blast)
-Warlock Invocations
-And access to Ghostwalk feats without being a ghost. Nothing really game-breaking (A fighter can do area control like this, warlocks are T3 at best, and Ghostwalk is obscure with little support and at best and Eidalon is mid T3 or high t4).

DiBastet
2012-06-14, 07:59 PM
I believe there's one for light and heavy crossbows in complete scoundrel

Quite a hard char to re-imagine in D&D, but I believe being able to do the multiple things should be more important that quadruple shooting (just double shooting is okay.

grarrrg
2012-06-15, 12:29 AM
Bayonetta is a Factotum 20, true story.

Hmmm

Skip the Hex-version hair, you can only use it a number of Minutes equal to your level per day.
You'd want the White Haired (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/white-haired-witch) archetype. And while you can't hold items with your hair, you can still use it to make natural attacks.

marcielle
2012-06-15, 03:49 AM
Pathfinder's Summoner Synthesist?
Shape and form are pretty much up to you to begin, so a suit made out of hair? No prob. And although the evolution says arms it never says what the arms look like and could be made up of hairs forming themselves into the shapes of boots with hands at the ankles holding guns.
It fits fluffwise too since the witches actually get their powers from demons.
So:
Biped base
Evos:Extra arms, Ability increase Dex and Nat armor(a miss is a miss and can be refluffed as a dodge) as often as possible, skill focus acrobatics.

As a bonus, Summoners usually have a pretty good Cha.:smallwink:

As for shapeshifting, creative use of evolution surge should do the trick.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-15, 11:06 AM
At a certain point, it's best just to give in and accept that D&D can't do a very good job of replicating the feel of certain kinds of characters in games and media, particularly ones that are like "superheroes", like Bayonetta. You can sometimes duplicate some of the things these kinds of characters can do in D&D... sort of.

You are really best off using a different system, particularly one designed for superheroes. Mutants and Masterminds could duplicate her powers almost exactly, for example, but almost any good superhero system could do it too.
This.

Guys, he said "similar to Bayonetta", not a replica.

Okay, so only two guns.

Seriously, I'm going to assume he wants a build for Bayonetta. Not for a girl that's sorta similar but tons weaker.

BlueEyes
2012-06-15, 12:15 PM
Seriously, I'm going to assume he wants a build for Bayonetta. Not for a girl that's sorta similar but tons weaker.
Except that's not what's in the OP, so I don't know what's there to assume.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139290
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222848
Two threads about making Bayonetta. Not many posts, but it's better than nothing.