PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.5] The Amazing Spider Elf!

Real Sorceror
2012-06-14, 09:24 AM
"Spiderelf, Spiderelf, does whatever rymes with elf..."

So I'm building a drow superhero and I could use some assistance. I'd prefer to use as much Pathfinder as possible, but I'm willing to use 3.5 if needed.

What I'd like;
The Web monster ability
A climb speed and/or constant Spider Climb
Access to web related spells or alchemical items
A venomous bite (optional)
Good jumping, tumbling, and stealth
Decent unarmed combat (optional)
Still be relatively low level and mostly humanoid after all that...

And that's just the build. I'd also like to find rules for swinging into combat, fighting while suspended from a rope, and movement speed while swinging. Basic swashbuckling stuff.

Right now my best option is looking like Synthesist Summoner from Ultimate Magic, though I'd be 7th level before I'd learn to shot web.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-14, 09:31 AM
If level 14 were open, I'd say to just be a Beastmorph Alchemist. At level 14, they can get Web as one of their beastmorph abilities. And it obviously is the brainy science-based class.

Synthesist sounds like the best option.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-14, 10:51 AM
You know, there was a build that did exactly this in the last Iron Chef.

grarrrg
2012-06-14, 10:52 AM
I concur on Synthesist.
Short of UMD'ing a half dozen wands multiple times throughout the day, Synthesist would be the best option.

Although I'm sure some 3.5 cheese can do a better job...

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-14, 11:04 AM
3E in one of the splat books had a rod of ropes or something like that.

The person who brought it up did so for trying to emulate the hookshot from Legend of Zelda, but it could be used for web-swinging just as well.

Talionis
2012-06-14, 11:05 AM
You know, there was a build that did exactly this in the last Iron Chef.

Which one? I'd like to check it out.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-14, 11:32 AM
Which one? I'd like to check it out.

It's this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13294518&postcount=160).

deuxhero
2012-06-14, 12:35 PM
PF has Spider Step feat for Monk. Too bad Errata nerfed it for no reason.

Titomancer
2012-06-14, 12:45 PM
The old stand-by Cloak fo Arachnida magic item covers a few of your bases. Plus its a cape. Superheroes love capes!

grarrrg
2012-06-14, 01:50 PM
The old stand-by Cloak fo Arachnida magic item covers a few of your bases. Plus its a cape. Superheroes love capes!

Spider-man does NOT wear a cape.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-14, 02:22 PM
Spider-man does NOT wear a cape.

http://dma9fall07b.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/spiderman_unlimited.png
http://www.samruby.com/Heroes/Spiderman2099/2099Spiderman.gif
http://bluespecter.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/spiderman-prodigy.gif
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/85188-65714-dusk_large.jpg
At times, Spiderman does wear a cape.

Talionis
2012-06-14, 02:31 PM
http://dma9fall07b.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/spiderman_unlimited.png
http://www.samruby.com/Heroes/Spiderman2099/2099Spiderman.gif
http://bluespecter.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/spiderman-prodigy.gif
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/85188-65714-dusk_large.jpg

Thank you! I didn't want to have to go digging for pictures of Spidey in his cape.

grarrrg
2012-06-14, 02:33 PM
[pictures]

1. Animated series, doesn't count (yes, they made a follow-up comic, key word being FOLLOW-UP).

2. "Future" Spider-Man, NOT Peter Parker, doesn't count.

3 & 4. Peter Parker, yes, but NOT Spider-Man (Prodigy and Dusk).

My point stands.
Spider-Man does NOT wear a cape.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-14, 02:47 PM
Well, if you said "Peter Parker never wears a cape as Spiderman in the comics, in Earth-616" you'd be correct. That's not what you said, though. :smalltongue:
But he does wear one in the Unlimited cartoon and comics, Miguel O'hara was Spiderman and Peter did wear it while pretending not to be Spiderman.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-14, 02:51 PM
Well, if you said "Peter Parker never wears a cape as Spiderman in the comics, in Earth-616" you'd be correct. That's not what you said, though. :smalltongue:
But he does wear one in the Unlimited cartoon and comics, Miguel O'hara was Spiderman and Peter did wear it while pretending not to be Spiderman.

Well, he did specifically say Spider-man, so Dusk and Prodigy don't count. Other people wearing the costume probably don't either.

No capes! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2aW03pwL0)

Talionis
2012-06-14, 03:08 PM
1. Animated series, doesn't count (yes, they made a follow-up comic, key word being FOLLOW-UP).

I'm not sure I'd give you the rest, but this one has to count. It is Peter Parker, as Spiderman, in a comic.

That is Spiderman, not another hero.

If he said "traditional" Spiderman doesn't wear a cape. You'd have to grant it. But trying to say no version of Spiderman ever wore a cape is not true.

And it is probable that Titomancer knew that version of Spiderman, though obscure, did wear a cape when he suggested it.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-14, 03:27 PM
You can just use the Cloak of Arachnida in a different slot anyway. At most it would double the cost.
Maybe a... Psychoactive Skin of Arachnida?
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/news-symbiote-2.jpg

grarrrg
2012-06-14, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure I'd give you the rest, but this one has to count. It is Peter Parker, as Spiderman, in a comic.

That is Spiderman, not another hero.

If he said "traditional" Spiderman doesn't wear a cape. You'd have to grant it. But trying to say no version of Spiderman ever wore a cape is not true.

And it is probable that Titomancer knew that version of Spiderman, though obscure, did wear a cape when he suggested it.

I will grant you that "a" Spider-man wore a cape, but "the" Spider-man has never worn a cape.

And the Spider-man Unlimited Comic book mentioned, is a non-canon book, loosely based off the Animated TV version of Spider-man, and the comic only lasted for _five_ issues anyway.
Five issues of wearing a cape in a non-canon comic doesn't really count in the grand scheme of things. (for reference, the "main" Spider-man book, "The Amazing Spider-Man" is well over the 600 issue mark, and that's not count all the OTHER books he's been in)

Saying Spider-man wears a cape is akin to saying there is a Female Ninja Turtle...It did NOT really happen.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-14, 04:47 PM
I will grant you that "a" Spider-man wore a cape, but "the" Spider-man has never worn a cape.

And the Spider-man Unlimited Comic book mentioned, is a non-canon book, loosely based off the Animated TV version of Spider-man, and the comic only lasted for _five_ issues anyway.
Five issues of wearing a cape in a non-canon comic doesn't really count in the grand scheme of things. (for reference, the "main" Spider-man book, "The Amazing Spider-Man" is well over the 600 issue mark, and that's not count all the OTHER books he's been in)

Saying Spider-man wears a cape is akin to saying there is a Female Ninja Turtle...It did NOT really happen.

Dude, chill. All I said was that Spiderman sometimes does wear a cape. Now look at those examples... didn't he? :smallconfused:

shortround
2012-06-14, 04:57 PM
Warlock 1 (maybe 2?) for Spider Climb (and Tumbling invocation?) then Druid X with Kelpstrand and that one spell (its in SpC) that gives you +10 to Climb checks to swing around, charge while swinging, etc. High Wisdom for spell casting doubles as good spot and listen for Spidey-sense? I admittedly don't know much about Spiderman.

Also you're a druid so you'll always be good at things.

grarrrg
2012-06-14, 06:13 PM
Dude, chill. All I said was that Spiderman sometimes does wear a cape. Now look at those examples... didn't he? :smallconfused:

:smallsigh:
Spider-man does not wear a cape.
There are certain versions/occasions where someone called Spider-man wears a cape. But the main/original/canon/only-one-that-really-counts version of Spider-man (i.e. Peter Parker) has never worn a cape.
The closest he has come has been those little, under-arm web-wings.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/27306/SPIDER-MAN_underarm_webbing_031811.jpg
Which were done away with/forgotten about after a while anyway.

As for all those examples?
One is an Alternate Version of Spider-man (the TV based one, which is non-canon, and is either an executives fault, or just "90's ROCK!!!!!11!!" influence).
Another is not Peter Parker, but it is "a" Spider-man, in the Future (see also: "90's ROCK!!!!!11!!").
The other few pictures were Peter Parker screwing around with FOUR different costumes as part of some "Zany Scheme" to mess with villains for some reason, thus they are not Spider-man.

Zaq
2012-06-14, 10:27 PM
You can just use the Cloak of Arachnida in a different slot anyway. At most it would double the cost.
Maybe a... Psychoactive Skin of Arachnida?
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/news-symbiote-2.jpg

It's the Psychoactive Skin of the Spider, technically. MIC 172. And yeah, it's pretty explicitly supposed to be Spider-Man. Just read the description.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-15, 07:22 AM
:smallsigh:
Spider-man does not wear a cape.
There are certain versions/occasions where someone called Spider-man wears a cape. But the main/original/canon/only-one-that-really-counts version of Spider-man (i.e. Peter Parker) has never worn a cape.
He did. At least three times. Unlimited, Prodigy, Dusk.

As for all those examples?
One is an Alternate Version of Spider-man (the TV based one, which is non-canon, and is either an executives fault, or just "90's ROCK!!!!!11!!" influence).
And he is called Peter Parker and he is Spider-man.

Another is not Peter Parker, but it is "a" Spider-man, in the Future (see also: "90's ROCK!!!!!11!!").
The other few pictures were Peter Parker screwing around with FOUR different costumes as part of some "Zany Scheme" to mess with villains for some reason, thus they are not Spider-man.
Dude, you have to decide.
If Peter Parker is "the only Spider-man that matters", he did wear a case on a few occasions, even if you discount Unlimited, he just didn't call himself Spider-man while he did.
Like I said before, "Spider-man never did wear a cape" is just plain wrong. You might not like that he did, but both Spider-man (Unlimited) and Peter Parker (Dusk, Prodigy) did wear a cape and even Peter Parker Spider-man (Unlimited) did as well.
Spider-man 2099 was really good, btw. Peter David doing what he does best. (well, Hulk aside. Peter David's Hulk is always amazing.)
Anyway, this is getting way offtopic. If you want to just refuse that Peter Parker ever did wear a cape, well, it's a free contry.

trieldrak
2012-06-15, 07:24 AM
I think a Tashalatora monk/Psy. Warrior would be best.

Detect hostile intent for the "spidey sense"

Evasion and unarmed damage with flurry of blows sounds perfect.

Just take the brachiation feat for a swinging movent speed, and modify rod of ropes to a bracer slot. You could call them bracers of web shooting.

Also entangling ectoplasm for the whole stick a bad guy to a wall thing.

Also makes the psychoactive skin of the spider a flavor item for your class :smallsmile:

Real Sorceror
2012-06-15, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the build advice thus. I hadn't even thought about replicating a spider-sense like ability but I'll definitely get on that, too. The rope wand is pretty sweet, too.

And lol at the Spiderman cape tangent. If I decide to have Spiderelf wear one it'll definitely be a torn web type thing. His costume is similar to the black Spiderman costume (not the later Venom design), but with a tall collar, half mask (mouth and hair uncovered), and bubble domes over the eyes for the bug look. :smallwink:

Real Sorceror
2012-06-15, 10:15 AM
Go go gadget double post!

grarrrg
2012-06-15, 02:12 PM
He did. ... Prodigy, Dusk.
If Peter Parker is "the only Spider-man that matters", he did wear a case on a few occasions,... he just didn't call himself Spider-man while he did.
Like I said before, "Spider-man never did wear a cape" is just plain wrong. You might not like that he did, but ... Peter Parker (Dusk, Prodigy) did wear a cape

Again, Prodigy and Dusk do not count.
When you say "Spider-Man" it is assumed you are referring to "Peter Parker as Spider-Man".
If the initial statement was "Peter Parker sometimes wears a cape" then I would have to agree, it has happened. But that is not the situation.

Take Richard Grayson for example. He has gone from Robin to Nightwing to Batman to Nightwing (again). If you said "Richard Grayson wears a cape" you would be partially correct. If you said "Nightwing wears a cape" you would be wrong. Grayson-Robin and Grayson-Batman wore capes. Nightwing has not.

Spider-man 2099
Yes, that version of Spider-man wore a cape. But that version is A: not Peter Parker, and B: not widely known.
If you take all the characters known as "Spider-Man", and count every issue/appearance/tv-show/etc... the Peter Parker version would be responsible for at least 95% of it. So when someone says "Spider-Man" it is automatically assumed they are talking about the Peter Parker version.
To use another superhero example, take "Green Lantern". If the statement was "Green Lantern ....." then clarification would most likely be necessary, as last I checked, there were FIVE Earth-based Green Lanterns, each with a substantial portion of the "Green Lantern Appearance" pie.

Unlimited
Very short lived, and non-canon. I will go so far as to grant you that "the" Spider-Man wore a cape in it. But in totality of Spider-man, Unlimited is less than 1%. So in the grand scheme of things, it isn't sizable enough to count.

So when I say/said "Spider-man does NOT wear a cape" I am fully correct.
When I said "Spider-man has never worn a cape" I am slightly wrong.