PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Questions on WBL...

TheJudicator
2012-06-14, 04:41 PM
This is mostly an attempt to get opinions and a general idea of what DMs and players think on the character Wealth by Level in the Pathfinder system.

Based on the Core Rulebook and the SRD, the WBL progression has a bit of a parabolic rate to it, capping off at 880,000 gold piece value, which is assumed to also account for good lost through resale and used up through consumables. Now, the DM of my current group believes that such a number is far too high, and will only lead to "overpowered characters" that he won't be able to challenge. I'm not looking to confront him, but after personally seeing some of the high-CR creatures to be found, having so much gear almost seems a necessity.

So I ask you, Playgrounders...what is your opinion on the WBL as set in the book? Too high for a balanced game, or would reducing it severely hurt a party's survival chances?

ngilop
2012-06-14, 05:08 PM
I know this is an naswer you do not want to hear but....

Its both.. now befor eyou get all mad, allow me to explain

what the 880,000 is supposed to represent is the odds and end an individual character has accumulated over the course of his or her career.

So if its just a radnomly but mostly useful assortment of magical items worth 880,00 gold, its perfectly fine in terms of power balance

I call this acquiremnt the Organic Method, and how a chacrater ends up with really a couple of items he or she would be very hard pressed to ever find a use for, about half that are sometimes useful and only a few that you use for most situations

If you are allowed to cherry pick the most perfect selection of magical items for your character or as i call it the Catered Method you end up with 100% of that money being used in the ' this item is perfect for my character' role that norally only a selcet few items fill.

Khosan
2012-06-14, 05:23 PM
Depends a bit on the optimization level of your group and what you're playing.

I think you can mostly get by even if you're behind on WBL. Especially on the higher end, where you're mostly just missing the more expensive niche tools.