View Full Version : Celerity might be broken.

Snowbluff
2012-06-14, 05:03 PM
Uhh... it's a 4th level spell. The adjustment on Quicken Spell is 4 slots. Well, one feat I am never taking again as a Wizard.

Proposal for abusing action economy:

1) Wizard6/SB9/IDCfullcastingstuffx

2) Pick up Mark of the Dauntless and Twin Spell. Get some MM reduction on Twin. Maybe Thesis Celerity if you want to Twin it as well.

3) Shapechange (or similiar) into a Choker (or something else with Quickness).

$) Run circles around others in combat.

legomaster00156
2012-06-14, 05:10 PM
Everybody already knew Celerity is broken.

Ernir
2012-06-14, 05:11 PM
Celerity being broken is true, and very well known.

BlueEyes
2012-06-14, 05:27 PM
This is a joke thread. You can't be serious.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-06-14, 05:27 PM
Celerity does have the drawback of burning a 4th-level spell in addition to whatever you were going to do--and then making you dazed for the round after.

That said, in most games, Celerity can blow Quicken Spell out of the water; you get to use it two levels earlier (albeit at greater spell cost, at a time when that is still significant), and the spell you want to cast doesn't have to be significantly weaker than whatever you would fill that slot with, anyway (Quickened Charm Person vs. Dominate, although why you would Quicken Charm Person is on you), and you still have to cast it on your turn--although you can ready your swift action (though readying is a standard action, so the wiser thing to do would be to cast your Quickened spell on your turn and then ready a standard action to cast). However, Quicken Spell is much easier to break; once you start adding things like Incantatrix levels and Arcane Thesis, you end up with Quickened whatever for little or no cost!

Beyond that, why not use both? If you really want to go nova, initiative into two spells (one Quickened and one standard), followed by Celerity after your initiative ends, is three spells before the enemy has to chance to react! You're dazed for the next round, but you burned three spells in basically one turn, so odds are you've probably killed everything that needs to be killed, seduced everything that needs to be seduced, and won everything that needs to be won.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-14, 05:38 PM
Congratulations, you discovered something everyone else aready knew. :smalltongue:

I love the "might" in that phrase. :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2012-06-14, 05:50 PM
Celerity does have the drawback of burning a 4th-level spell in addition to whatever you were going to do--and then making you dazed for the round after.

Beyond that, why not use both? If you really want to go nova, initiative into two spells (one Quickened and one standard), followed by Celerity after your initiative ends, is three spells before the enemy has to chance to react! You're dazed for the next round, but you burned three spells in basically one turn, so odds are you've probably killed everything that needs to be killed, seduced everything that needs to be seduced, and won everything that needs to be won.

Hmm... Interesting, but eventually you'll be eating more feats than you can afford, considering the use of Twin Spell as well.

MotD makes you immune to Daze. :smallcool:

As for the nova, using Celerity takes your next round's Swift action when not used on your turn, and we won't be dazed anyway.

Now I kinda want to know how Repeat Spell and the MM Tactical feats work with Celerity...

eggs
2012-06-14, 05:53 PM
I love the "might" in that phrase. :smalltongue:
It made me smile. :smalltongue:

And it's not just about the early quickened spells; it's the spells that you can cast at any time - all the hilarity of Abrupt Jaunt, but with much deeper offensive and tactical implications.

But there are plenty of ways to tear the action economy in half; I'd probably favor Cerebremancer over Swiftblade though - Psionics gets all sorts of nasty tricks (Linked Power, Twin Power, Synchronicity, Schism, Hustle, Anticipatory Strike, Temporal Acceleration, and so on).

Lonely Tylenol
2012-06-14, 05:59 PM
Hmm... Interesting, but eventually you'll be eating more feats than you can afford, considering the use of Twin Spell as well.

Incantatrix gives you four.

MotD makes you immune to Daze. :smallcool:

OK, I didn't know that. That's pretty sweet.

As for the nova, using Celerity takes your next round's Swift action when not used on your turn, and we won't be dazed anyway.

Yeah, that's the point. You would be using the following:
- Turn 1's swift action
- Turn 1's standard action
- Turn 2's swift action

But you would be doing so in a way that is more immediately explosive than just using one or the other.

ahenobarbi
2012-06-14, 06:00 PM
Ooh. I didn't think about putting metamagic on Celerity... Makes it more broke:-

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-14, 06:01 PM

It also requires a true dragonmark. It doesn't get any more Eberron-specific than that.

Arcanist
2012-06-14, 06:05 PM
10/10 got my jimmies rustled for a solid minute before I noticed "might" :smallamused:

Snowbluff
2012-06-14, 06:23 PM
Ooh. I didn't think about putting metamagic on Celerity... Makes it more broke:-

It gets worse. Nesting Twin Celerity. Cast a Twin Celerity to cast 2 more Twin Celerity...

Incantatrix gives you four.

Yeah, that's the point. You would be using the following:
- Turn 1's swift action
- Turn 1's standard action
- Turn 2's swift action

But you would be doing so in a way that is more immediately explosive than just using one or the other.

Kk, Incant can make up the lat 6 levels. In the same vein, Metaphysical Spellshaper can be stuffed in before Swiftblade.

10/10 got my jimmies rustled for a solid minute before I noticed "might" :smallamused:

I try. :smallsmile:

Eldariel
2012-06-14, 07:06 PM

Favor of the Martyr is a significantly more common, and easily accessible option. Paladin spell but that's...a small hurdle at best.

Keld Denar
2012-06-14, 07:26 PM
Metaphysical Shaper and Incantatrix and you are worried that Celerity is the most broken thing you are working with?

Um...needs more Tainted Scholar, I guess...

DiBastet
2012-06-14, 09:27 PM
Well, everything being said...

...it may be.

eggs
2012-06-14, 11:42 PM
Quick Recovery is another easy option to negate the daze. It's less reliable than outright Daze immunity, but that also tends to make it more acceptable (in case trading swift actions up to standard actions sets off red flags at your gaming table).

And it's a decent filler feat in its own right (especially for casters at low levels).

Malroth
2012-06-14, 11:45 PM
MotD ? my google fu has failed me.

Arcanist
2012-06-14, 11:59 PM
MotD ? my google fu has failed me.

Eberron Sourcebook, Dragonmarked :smallbiggrin: