PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self Boost?

Pyromancer999
2012-06-14, 06:43 PM
So, I've been looking over spells in the SRD, and I remembered something upon re-reading Alter Self. Alter Self lets you turn into a creature of your type that is Small, Medium, or Large.

Now, the Dragonblood subtype(for those not familiar with RotD/Dragon Magic), has creatures with the subtype being treated as dragons for the purpose of taking feats, and amongst other things, being affected by spells.

So, could a creature with the Dragonblood subtype use Alter Self to assume forms of creatures with the Dragon type?

Mithril Leaf
2012-06-14, 06:55 PM
I'm fairly sure it would indeed work that way. 90% certainty.

AmberVael
2012-06-14, 06:57 PM
More specifically, the text reads:

Spells, effects, powers and abilities that affect or target dragons also affect dragonblooded creatures.

So by a strict reading, I'm inclined to think no. You're ultimately still your own type, and the subtype doesn't change that. If it said "they affect you as if you WERE a dragon," then it'd be different.

Mithril Leaf
2012-06-14, 07:07 PM
Just going off the dragonborn page because I'm too lazy to crack open the Draconomicon.

Humanoid (dragonblood): Dragonborn are humanoids with the dragonblood subtype and any other subtypes they had before undergoing the Rite of Rebirth. For all effects related to race, a dragonborn is considered a dragon and a member of her original race.
For all effects related to race, you are both a dragon and your original race. I'd say it lets you become a dragon with alter self.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-14, 08:04 PM
Definitely not.
The dragonblood subtype does not confer the dragon type or any traits associated with that type. You need the type, not the subtype, for Alter Self to choose a Dragon form.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-14, 08:09 PM
Damn, ninja'd by Curmudgeon.

Also note that in RotD (the Primary Source for [dragonblood] characters), it does not say that dragonblood characters qualify for Dragon feats. It does, however, say that a creature of the Dragon type (such as a Half-Dragon) automatically qualifies for all classes, PrCs, Racial sub levels, feats, powers or spells that require the [dragonblood] subtype.

Pyromancer999
2012-06-14, 08:58 PM
Definitely not. You need the type, not the subtype, for Alter Self to choose a Dragon form.

True, but the text that Mithril Leaf posted is why I'm wondering if that might not be the case, as it might be that for the purpose of the spell, it might treat you as a Dragon, despite you not having the Dragon type.

Edit: Found my Dragon Magic book. Turns out it doesn't according to the updated definition.