PDA

View Full Version : Robots - D20 future

Fouredged Sword
2012-06-14, 08:15 PM
Ok, I have been thinking of running a game in D20 future that instead of single characters the party are a group of AI's controlling a group of robots.

I was thinking it would be cool if the party used the wealth system (normalized to remove randomness) to purchase robots to control. Then used the robots to preform missions. I even have a plot reason for the AIs (hyperdrive kills all organic tissue without massively expensive shielding and going 1/10th max speed.)

The game was going to function with the players all having a cha score of 10, and int of 20, con -, and wisdom, strength, and dex determined by the body (wisdom would be given based on sensor choices). Player levels (except HD) would apply to all robots they control. Talents, feats, skills, saves, def bonus, ect (not stacking with any ranks or base ability from the HD or enchantments the robot already has).

What are some of the pit falls you could see, and does this sound like a cool game to play?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-14, 08:28 PM
...Or you could just adapt warforged to d20 modern?

Fouredged Sword
2012-06-14, 09:09 PM
The idea is to get away from the idea of one character one body. Combat can be lethal without totally destroying a players character that they have grown attached to. The party can go through a TPK and find it to just be a setback and a lost objective (or not depending on how far into the mission they are before death).

More combatants to make battle a truly tactical affair. Snipers, suppression fire, and cover playing major rolls. Playable troop transports (huge flying robots) and tiny sensor remotes. Variety and customization to prepare for any combat.

I would fully expect around 20 bots on the player side during combat.

I think it could be a really awesome game.

Griffith!
2012-06-16, 08:33 AM
I'm not digging through the death-trap that is my library, but doesn't d20future have rules for robots? I know it has rules for mecha and spaceships. But I digress - that wasn't your question.

The biggest pitfall I can see is lack of dramatic tension - if your characters are AI, with the body of their programming located in a secure, off-site location, then character death isn't really a thing. The robot body would be destroyed, but the characters would be fine. Kind of encourages a player/character disconnect.

And if destroying the robot body does destroy the independent AI mind, it raises different questions altogether - like why the hell would an AI with 20 int download itself into something it knows will be facing danger. Remote connection for the win.

Of course, not everyone cares about those kinds of things, and mostly I'm just spitballing. Regardless it's a cool concept.

zorenathres
2012-06-16, 12:00 PM
seems like a good concept but i dont see the hook for the players... i would recommend reading neuromancer, burning chrome, & mona lisa overdrive by william gibson for examples of AI behavior in a vast wireless world. the "patron" AI in neuromancer simply wanted to be free of the tessier-ashpool mainframe.

a possible campaign idea could relate to the AI's desire for freedom from "the company" or whatever, they could be nothing more than "property" of the company/ organization & desire an existence free from control. Perhaps their use of robots is illegal/ unsanctioned activity done in secret in an attempt to free themselves from the company.

likely, after they escape the company will want them retrieved (or possibly scrapped depending on how much damage they caused to the company), they are after all company property & they could be a great recurring bad guy in the campaign.

the most likely pitfall i can think of is the players detachment from the risk, make it dangerous for the AI's. Black ICE, evil hackers, repo men, techno-philes, corporations bent on capturing a rival companies technology... there are a bunch of ways to keep the players on their toes & in the action.